Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Myobi

Liturgist
might as well be the only mmorpg out there.

Did you know that MMO stands for Massive Multiplayer Online?

cash grab

display

Yeah dude, those fucking Koreans tryin to take our big dolla dolla by selling us unreleased P2W shit.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

cash grab

display

Yeah dude, those fucking Koreans tryin to take our big dolla dolla by selling us unreleased P2W shit.

Looool. I just love the little 'IN STOCK' line, as if there's a shelf somewhere with a box of these on that someone's got to go and fetch to package and send off.

jungl

Augur
scandavian shovelware. Its either koreans and scandis releasing minimum effort to rob a niche market of autists or these equally souless big box games from amazon and blizzard.

The mmo industry is the biggest joke in gaming. Its more low effort then triple aaa single player games made for casuals. It has less energy and soul then developers like jeff vogel.

Myobi

Liturgist
scandavian shovelware. Its either koreans and scandis releasing minimum effort to rob a niche market of autists or these equally souless big box games from amazon and blizzard.

The mmo industry is the biggest joke in gaming. Its more low effort then triple aaa single player games made for casuals. It has less energy and soul then developers like jeff vogel.

I'm struggling to understand your point here.

I mean, at least those dudes actually release something in order to rob a niche market of autists.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

cash grab

display

Looool. I just love the little 'IN STOCK' line, as if there's a shelf somewhere with a box of these on that someone's got to go and fetch to package and send off.

It might be an NFT.

Also, its a shame Star Citizen hasn't made NFTs available yet. This game seems like the perfect medium for selling high priced digital "assets"

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

I'm struggling to understand your point here.

I mean, at least those dudes actually release something in order to rob a niche market of autists.

There is no point. Somehow "triple AAA" MMO's are less effort than "triple AAA" RPG games. He is basically comparing two turds and trying to determine which tastes better.

Niche market of autists... why does it make me think of
http://www.havenandhearth.com/

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
So shall we start taking bets, who will buy them out, will it be Microsoft or Sony... or dear Lord Tencent!!!

Not Microsoft because Star Citizen would compete with Starfield.

Star Citizen will the Starfield killer! :)

Well if the dozens of ports and 'updates' of Skyrim are anything to go by, then Star Citizen might very well be the 'Starfield killer' in 2184 when the latter is ported to play on the holoscreen of a quantum toaster.

N0rn

Novice

cash grab

display

This has to be some form of sales psychology, like telling their customers "It's in stock now, but at some point it might not be, so better act fast". Is there any information out about how many people are actually dumb enough to spend that much on an unreleased game?

Delterius

Arcane
This has to be some form of sales psychology, like telling their customers "It's in stock now, but at some point it might not be, so better act fast".
Probably! And a dumb person could justify it from the point of view of 'balance'. Ie, no way they are gonna sell infinite LEGATUS CLASS SHIPS. Those would break the game!

Napalm

Novice
Only economic model they need is the one used for selling spaceship JPGs to the faithful, and that model is practically perfect. Those people go nuts for things like getting LTI (lifetime insurance) for their ships, even though nobody has any clue if it will provide any substantial benefits when the game eventually releases (lol). Anyway, CIG have reached 438+ million dollars in crowdfunding, which combined with 63+ millions from private investors means that they have received over half a billion dollars for their space game, while having released only an alpha tech demo and lots of hot air. Chris Roberts aspired to make movies, his fans see him as a superb game developer, but it turned out his real genius lied in extracting money from the gullible.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Only economic model they need is the one used for selling spaceship JPGs to the faithful, and that model is practically perfect. Those people go nuts for things like getting LTI (lifetime insurance) for their ships, even though nobody has any clue if it will provide any substantial benefits when the game eventually releases (lol).

This is actually mindblowing. Lifetime insurance on virtual goods that probably aren't even coded for a game that doesn't really exist yet. What even happens if you don't get LTI and your ship that you paid $40,000 for gets blown up? Is Roberts just going to say 'lol, tough luck. Best get another $40k out.' Honestly, if you wrote this as a piece of satire people would say it was too far-fetched.

Syl

Cipher
As far as I know, all ships paid with real money have LTI. That's the whole point of this insurance, protect your "investment".
Just another part of the scam.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom