Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Myobi

Liturgist
"The planets are still handmade, they use tools to do large areas"

... and people still wonder how the fuck CiG keeps printing so much money.

MiguelSerranoFan

Educated
hoPUKtB.png

quixotic

Learned
The whales keeping this fucking scam afloat deserve to be harpooned. I can’t think of a more retarded way to waste your own money. At least if you burn it it can keep you warm.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Would be interesting to compare all time SC funding vs. all of kickstarter tabletop game 's, is latter known? I already kinda bet latter is more though.

Last edited:

GreyViper

Prophet
So shall we start taking bets, who will buy them out, will it be Microsoft or Sony... or dear Lord Tencent!!!

Tiger

Learned
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...down-roadmap-to-stop-having-to-update-roadmap

Star Citizen will limit its roadmap, as "passionate" players are getting upset over delay

"Rather than continuing to display release projections that carry a high percentage chance of moving."

Star Citizen, the still-in-development sci-fi game which has now earned $400m in user funding, has decided to change what goes on its product roadmap.

Developer Cloud Imperium Games (CIG) said it is doing this because many of Star Citizen's "most passionate players" were taking features added to the roadmap as "promises", and getting upset when they were delayed.

Syl

Cipher
How dare they expect something that is written in black and white and that they paid for?!

ADL

Prophet
I completely understand the sentiment CIG is trying to convey. Releasing quarterly patches to a game highly in development is a distraction by definition. Crowdfunding for Star Citizen and games in general is a catch-22 where people want open, transparent development and the ability to play pre-alpha builds but that means having to basically run a game while it's being made. Meanwhile a vocal minority is shitting and pissing themselves every month and a half because deliverables are moved around. Who cares if salvage is constantly being delayed? It'll come eventually, just like the medical system and the medical system ended up being fucking awesome. Haven't these whiny cunts heard the saying "patience is a virtue"?

The rest of the game is still being developed and we're still getting other deliverables in the meantime. Either way, the game is making visible, steady progress and the crowdfunding reflects that.
vV7k8pD.jpeg

Seethe & cope harder nerds, this isn't 'crashing and burning' any time soon

Ninjerk

Arcane
Communicating with the fanbase is an unnecessary distraction. The game will be ready when it's ready. :smug:

ADL

Prophet
I completely understand the sentiment CIG is trying to convey. Releasing quarterly patches to a game highly in development is a distraction by definition.
are you sure that being 10 years late on stuff isn't the real distraction here
Ten years ago the game wasn't even pitched yet bro. I believe they had less than 30 employees during this period and now they're at 600 and on their way towards a thousand developers by the time they've launched in some capacity by 2027. This is what I mean by crowdfunding is a catch-22. You have a bunch of people, many of which consider themselves armchair developers, who basically live on the internet and thus have a skewed sense of passage of time criticizing the game for missing deliverables in their 90 day playable release cycle. By 2015 you already had people talking about how long Star Citizen has been in development and it's like... What? It's only been two years since the Kickstarter.

Under a traditional publisher dynamic, they would've had a budget set in stone and probably an established development team to boot. Also, under a traditional publisher model neither Star Citizen or Squadron 42 wouldn't have been unveiled publicly until it was already 5-6 years in development as seen with MMOs like The Elder Scrolls Online and Star Wars The Old Republic, long after CIG properly staffed their studios.

Star Citizen has grown from a $2 million kickstarter pitch to a $450 million behemoth and had to grow along with the increasing budget in the process. That's not a bad thing, it just requires certain considerations and context when discussing it. Anyone who simply wanted the $2 million version of the game had many years to refund, long after it became apparent that Star Citizen was becoming something more than the thing they backed if they were unhappy with it so zero sympathy there.

Communicating with the fanbase is an unnecessary distraction. The game will be ready when it's ready. :smug:
This but unironically.

Myobi

Liturgist
I completely understand the sentiment CIG is trying to convey.

You and every drooling shill out there, they could piss on you and you would call it rain.

Don’t get me wrong, don’t ever stop doing what you’re doing, this sort of retardation is a great source of free entertainment.

crowdfunding reflects that.

You know what else it reflects? That their income from new players is decreasing while the money from old players *cough*whales*cough* is increasing, meanwhile there was also a ridiculous boost in the black market sales over the last couple of years, to the point where the people taking care of it started denying every “small” account (under $1,000)

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane
Star Citizen has grown from a $2 million kickstarter pitch to a $450 million behemoth and had to grow along with the increasing budget in the process. That's not a bad thing, it just requires certain considerations and context when discussing it. Anyone who simply wanted the $2 million version of the game had many years to refund, long after it became apparent that Star Citizen was becoming something more than the thing they backed if they were unhappy with it so zero sympathy there.
Bernie Madoff's investment fund has grown from a $150,000 initial investment to a $65 billion behemoth and had to grow along in the process. That's not a bad thing, it just requires certain considerations and context when discussing it. Anyone who wanted their return on investment had many years to cash out, long after it became apparent that it was becoming something more than the thing they invested in if they were unhappy with it so zero sympathy there.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Would be interesting to compare all time SC funding vs. all of kickstarter tabletop game 's, is latter known? I already kinda bet latter is more though.

I tried to sort by Amount raised, but you get the idea. Nothing else even comes close.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_crowdfunding_projects

The debate was ALL of KS's tabletop vs. star citizen. (eg. computer gfx shat its pants in my interpretation)

-whether "Enough mice can kill a wolf."

but now I found it anyway. And looks like I won too because I bet on "mice" :

https://www.polygon.com/2019/1/15/18184108/kickstarter-2018-stats-tabletop-video-games

, Kickstarter campaigns for tabletop games continued to dominate, while the video games category showed it has stabilized its decline from 2015’s highs. The games category as a whole earned more than $219 million, up nearly 9%. Games now account for 34% of the backer revenue for Kickstarter, which hopes to diversify its portfolio in 2020 and beyond.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom