Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
What about cats?
Fuck cats.

Q39oQ2V.png

Such needless violence. You lost me there.

What is that? Like an otter? Otters are ok.

Besides, I didn't say kill cats. Their physiology rejects the neural link.

Myobi

Liturgist
What about cats?
Fuck cats.

Q39oQ2V.png

Such needless violence. You lost me there.

Persistent universe doesn't mean an MMO (...)
GG nice try though try reading the links you're providing next time
mEwqBSJ.png

Congratulations you've graduated from
rating_butthurt.png
buttons to
rating_retarded.png
Persistent Universe doesn't necessarly mean Massive Multiplayer Online my dude.

There is absolutely no way rabid Star Citizen fans could understand that PU ≠ MMO.

These are the kind of people who are ecstatic about functionnal lockers being implemented this late into the development cycle. Nearly 500 millions dollars raised, 10 years of development, and functionnal lockers of all things are cause for celebration. At that point, any semblance of sensible reasoning has long since gone out the window.

The "GG you can't even read, you retard!" while having no fucking clue of what his reading makes really fucking good though.

... and these cunts are trying to tell me that my time is wasted on this top notch comedy, shut the hell up and go buy another Idris you fucks >; D

Dhaze

Cipher

What is that? Like an otter? Otters are ok.

Besides, I didn't say kill cats. Their physiology rejects the neural link.

Yup, otter.

And that should be included in an RPG, the cat thing. Meet some sort of Mindflayer -> get mind-raped. Meet some sort of Mindflayer -> promptly morph into a cat -> Mindflayer is unfamiliar with feline brain pathways, thus is powerless. (bonus to immersion if the mindflayer is allergic to cat hair)

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
It was obvious the work from home grift wasn't going to go on forever. Productivity took a nosedive.
I hope it stays for some jobs. There's no reason for someone working in a call center to not be able to work from home. When I was captioning phone calls for deaf people my scores would have been nearly perfect if I could do it with my own equipment.

I was once a bright eyed kid who loved videogames and thought he wanted to grow up making videogames. I went to college and got a certificate in game programming, knowing that programming was the most "relatively" secure position in the industry. At college, people who wanted to become artists and ideas guys/game designers were a dime a dozen, but very few wanted to be programmers. When it came time to do a group project, they were the ones everyone wanted and could pick which projects to work on. After I got my certificate, I realized just how awful the video game industry was (and by extension, the entertainment industry in general), and decided to change career paths. It's an industry built on exploiting the passion and gullibility of the young and then chewing them out and replacing them once they want to have a family or won't tolerate it anymore. Literally anything else is better than being a game dev. Even if you're an artist, you'll make more money working for TV ads or film.

That being said, the person in the image is a QA tester. QA testers are at the bottom of the totem pole. They're treated as second class citizens and are considered to be the most replaceable job. "There are lots of people willing to be paid to play videogames!". Plus, companies are tending to treat their customers as unpaid testers anyway. Buggy launches are normal now. QA tester is probably one of the worst career choices you can make. Very few manage to stick around.

Dhaze

Cipher
That being said, the person in the image is a QA tester. QA testers are at the bottom of the totem pole. They're treated as second class citizens and are considered to be the most replaceable job. "There are lots of people willing to be paid to play videogames!". Plus, companies are tending to treat their customers as unpaid testers anyway. Buggy launches are normal now. QA tester is probably one of the worst career choices you can make. Very few manage to stick around.

Moreover, the problems raised by Q.A. testers are often entirely ignored by the developers. I personally know someone who has done that kind of work for big releases and no matter how many times he and his colleagues would raise concern about a game-breaking issue, they were all but ignored, their reports brushed aside as one swats at a pesky fly—only for the game to eventually release, players to encounter this game-breaking bug, and the developers to act all apologetic.

– Release an unfinished game barely deserving of being called an alpha or beta version
– Weather deluge of complaints from players who paid full, launch price
– Fix bugs over an agonisingly-slow period of years
– Be enthroned into eternity by fans: "The devs listened to us; we matter!"

Bonus points if you lied copiously before the release of your game, over-selling its every aspect. Because then, if you more or less fix the game over the next decade (not make it good; not transform it into what it was supposed to be; but merely fix it) you're hailed as that developer who did the impossible, a saint true and true who redeemed the taint of his soul and upon whose anointed feet praise must be heaped—see No Man's Sky, for a nauseating example.

I honestly don't understand the point of Q.A. testers, these days. It feels like a relic of ages gone; something that's still there because it's still there.

Myth 2: Soulblighter has been mostly forgotten nowadays, but there's a funny anecdote anent its release. Mere days before the game hit the shelves, when about 200.000 thousand units of the game had already shipped, Bungie received a call about an uninstall bug that could wipe the entire HDD. It wouldn't have affected a lot of people, but it would have affected people nonetheless; so Bungie decided to recall every unit already shipped, and eat the financial loss which almost amounted to a million dollars.

No way would that happen today. The dev/publisher would ship the game, and who gives a flying fuck if someone's computer is reduced to a very expensive brick.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
It's not that they're ignored, it's that they don't have the time to address them because the designers care more about adding more (buggy) features than fixing the existing ones.

Myobi

Liturgist
I don't get why would they even pay people to test that shit when they have people paying them thousands of dollars to test it.

o7kml3jpbx691.jpg

Last edited:
Oh my god how do I inject this into my veins.

Let me translate this post:

"I've been a completely useless cash drain on this scam, and it was just a matter of time before someone realized. I saw the writing on the wall, so I decided to tell my bosses that they should let everyone just keep getting paychecks but not having to actually work.

Also, I'd like to take this opportunity to virtue signal about covid, because I need to be seen as the good guy and not a useless loser who was rightfully fired.

Also also, I campaigned HARD for biden because orange man bad but now gas prices are high unexpectedly and that means I should get free stuff and not have to go to work.

Me and several other entry level coders living on the edge of our means now can't afford nice apartments and houses because weirdly the excellent economy has mysteriously changed to a recession with rampant inflation for no apparent reason, and we have no self control, so we live with our parents now like the losers we are.

I think just because I'm loosely involved with a large industry I'm entitled to be super rich, and no, of course I shouldn't have to share any of the risks inherent.

Everyone please pity me and send gibbs immediately. I promise if you send me money I'll punch above my weight."

Hahaha I was gonna post about how much CIG sucks but if they fired this dipshit I guess they're not all bad. Plus they take Perkel's money so he's not influencing any other sectors of the economy with his terrible decision making. Who keeps giving perkel money anyway?

Just kidding Perkel I love you, you crazy bastard.

Dhaze

Cipher
It's not that they're ignored, it's that they don't have the time to address them because the designers care more about adding more (buggy) features than fixing the existing ones.

It's both. Of course a lot of developers don't care and prefer to pile yet more buggy shit on what they've already made. But stuff reported by the Q.A. testers and / or players (these often being one and the same, in the current gaming industry) can also be simply ignored. Both those things happen.

For example the Dark Souls 2 fps durability bug is quite infamous. For a whole fucking year FromSoft ignored players reporting about its existence. And it was such a massive, glaring, straight-in-your-face issue I would bet my nuts and my eyes at least one person in Q.A. reported it; it was just impossible to not see it, since it affected 100% of players on 60fps.

I don't get why would they even pay people to test that shit when they have people paying them thousands of dollars to test it.

In the case of Star Citizen, my guess is that by having Q.A. testers they can reinforce the narrative of "See? We truly care about the quality of our scam game!" And the people who think 10 years and 500 million dollars is what's needed for functionnal lockers, well, they swallow it all the more easily.

"I've been a completely useless cash drain on this scam, and it was just a matter of time before someone realized. I saw the writing on the wall, so I decided to tell my bosses that they should let everyone just keep getting paychecks but not having to actually work.

He's not a bricklayer though; he's a Q.A. tester for a video game. That's basically the kind of work best suited for remote.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
I like how English is ambigious enough for that quote to mean "I have not played even a single mission"
Well, if you think about it it's even worse if he actually did play through all the missions back then, because it means they scrapped everything and started from scratch since then. Based on everything I've seen, I suspect this is what happened.

He's not a bricklayer though; he's a Q.A. tester for a video game. That's basically the kind of work best suited for remote.
Look man, we can bask in the schadenfreude or we can be reasonable. I've made my choice, I believe you've chosen poorly.

Honestly the dude worked for a scam and is a covid whiner. I'm absolutely shocked that he didn't mention Ukraine in that post, he must be kicking himself for that oversight. So I'm happy to be a little unreasonable in my mocking.

somerandomdude

Learned
You know what, that piece right there has me convinced to at least give this game a shot at some point. Every now and then any company has to periodically flush dead weight, and good riddance to him. May he forever be an unemployed mom's basement dwelling cuck.

LJ40

Cipher
You know what, that piece right there has me convinced to at least give this game a shot at some point. Every now and then any company has to periodically flush dead weight, and good riddance to him. May he forever be an unemployed mom's basement dwelling cuck.
The reason why you do something fucking retarded is irrelevant. You're still a fucking retard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom