Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Myobi

Liturgist
Ah yes, political hot takes from video gaming companies, one that has been failing to deliver one single video game after a decade of development time and half a billion dollars:desu:

npcs now can walk around planet.

So, now they don't just T-pose on chairs, they will T-pose all around the entire fucking planet, bringing "Jesus Tech" one-step closer to reality.

Perkel

Arcane
Seems like whatever they are doing it is working. IF nothing goes they should break 100mln per year this year and probably go even up to 110-120.

qyyqhu5ty3991.png

Myobi

Liturgist
Seems like whatever they are doing it is working. IF nothing goes they should break 100mln per year this year and probably go even up to 110-120.

qyyqhu5ty3991.png

Fucking hell Perkel, how did you go from a respectful backer to one of those retards that brag about how much money a fucking company is doing by selling overpriced “microtransactions” that don’t even exist during a alpha phase?

Guess who’s also making a fun ton of cash with shit such as Diablo Immortal, whuhuhuuu, Blizzard is totally going on the right way since games like Warcraft, am I right? Dear fucking lord.

Perkel

Arcane
Fucking hell Perkel, how did you go from a respectful backer

I paid 1$ back in 2012. lmao

Also it is very interesting for me to fallow development of this game.

On one hand you have people like you who constantly bash it which is fun and on other hand you have mainstream that wants to play broken alpha and for past 3 years they are increasing in share numbers spectacularly and i can see why since stuff actually gets playable with ever increasing amount of features added.

You can see how developement of this game goes into stages changes it gets redesigned as people start to play alpha and no one has the breaks on it.

Myobi

Liturgist
Fucking hell Perkel, how did you go from a respectful backer

I paid 1$ back in 2012. lmao

Also it is very interesting for me to fallow development of this game.

On one hand you have people like you who constantly bash it which is fun and on other hand you have mainstream that wants to play broken alpha and for past 3 years they are increasing in share numbers spectacularly and i can see why since stuff actually gets playable with ever increasing amount of features added.

You can see how developement of this game goes into stages changes it gets redesigned as people start to play alpha and no one has the breaks on it.

I meant that you support the project, in a way respectful way.

You know, praise it where it’s worth praising, and shit on it when it’s deserved.

Seeing you pulling of an Alex de Delarge cunt “but look at all the moneyz they be printing!”.

Is just a huge fucking letdown. “Oh, you know about George C. Parker? Whatever that mother fucker was doing, it was working!”, yeah dude, sadly printing money doesn’t necessarily translate neither into quality nor morality, mobile gaming in general with the recent Diablo Immortal is a fine example of it.

But I’m glad that after a decade of development you are finally getting something “playable”, to fucking bad that at this pace by the time they actually manage to deliver everything that was promised to be complete years ago the damn thing will already be extremely outdated, assuming obsly that they can actually even pull it off.

I don't think anyone here will deny that CIG, while an absolute failure at making a fun video game to play, have been fantastically successful at separating fools and their money.

In that sense, Bernie Madoff was also a hell of an investor.

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Heard about this game project back in the day and planned to try it, but not before at least open beta like I usually do. Since that never happened, it quickly fell out of memory. Recently a friend who plays it had notified me that for a limited time it was possible to try it out for free. Now I didn't get a ship or even ingame cash, so I was left wondering if you'd normally have to buy the game AND a starter ship for real money but that was overshadowed by how shocked I was by the utterly awful state of the game after 10 years. Pointing out the flaws like getting stuck in the level geometry, being unable to customize controls properly, abysmally long loading times, terribly dated and unappealing visuals and choppy framerate even on potato mode due to the worst optimization I have ever seen, along with frequent crashes - I felt much like the child from the Emperor's new clothes story. Chris Roberts being the naked emperor and the unfinished game being his non-existent clothes, and me unable to understand why no one else would point this out.
Maybe it's Stockholm syndrome for anyone who still plays at this point but, I play tons of unfinished Russian jank that I dig up on Steam for fun, but this trash was a bridge too far even for me. It doesn't have that certain cheeki breeki kinda charm, either.
I wish to everyone who still believes in it that Star Citizen will one day be an okay game, but I just can't see that happening no matter how hard I try.
As for the arguments like "If you play for like 50 hours, the game gets good", just no. It should present itself at its best to potential new players, or they won't stick around. Attention spans are short these days.

Last edited:

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
The latter. When it comes to sci-fi stuff, I really don't mind almost any art style and that's kinda subjective anyway.. but this just wasn't looking right at all. When looking out the window of a high rise building where I started out, the future city was not easy on the eye with overly bright lighting/palette and weird flickery textures. I have never seen CryEngine look so ugly.
Perhaps they should have asked Todd Howard about using Gamebryo which seems to have worked out somehow for Bethesda since Fallout 3 :hahano:

Myobi

Liturgist

While they have mapped out 100 systems in lore, I don't think it's fair to say they've failed if they don't deliver 100 systems. That goal was before they decided move the game from a map and loading screens between space and planets to a full 3D solar system in space.

I love how there is always something that makes every CiG promiss that is falling short somehow irrelevant, even one's with a $6,000,000 price tag.

I don't know what's more of a scam: Musk telling people we will actually be on Mars by 2020, or Chris Robber telling us we would be on virtual Mars by 2020

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
TaHkdVC.jpg

This is on first launch on a meticulously-maintained PC.

:lol:
Sounds like your PC skills are suspect. Half a billion dollars and over a decade of development clearly indicate that this is the best game ever engineered and committed to data storage anywhere.
Maybe find someone who knows what he's doing and get him to install the game for you.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Wow.

This game is an utter trainwreck. Just walking around in the first room and hallway of Stanton yields sub-60fps performance, massive hitching when you just look around, hilarious shadow pop-in from ten feet away (which actually corrects itself) and other bizarre behavior. You can't even run the ubiquitous RivaTuner Statistics Server to keep track of your fps without the game causing RTSS' display to flicker madly and display itself in two separate locations.

SC also had my i9 flirting with TJunction max temperatures, hitting nearly 195F on more than one core:

zh94Q40.jpg

Curiously, my GPU never broke a sweat even once.

My advice to anyone thinking about trying this game out: if you care about your computer, don't bother. It's not worth your processor melting itself down. Wait for Starfield instead.

Ryzer

Arcane
Could be good to run Star Citizen whenever you need a toaster. It should be added as a key feature for the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom