Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Perkel

Arcane
Everything they said is either 4.0 or 4.X so not coming soon. But everything shown was actually presented in game in various stages of completion.

Summary:

Pyro still in works but mostly done
Looks pretty. 6 planets + moons. Some of them really nice like moon with huge gash after meteor hit.

Ship speed rework and general ship balancing type rework.

Right now you have SCM and QT. SCM is your slow "combat" speed while QT is point to point jump. Now you have SCM speed which will be downgraded from 1100m/s-1200m/s to 200-400m/s you can now switch to "travel mode" which will now be faster than old SCM speed up to say 1500m/s maybe more.
In that travel mode with new long range scanning you can pick up POIs that are close to you like less than 100K and jump to them with new QT boost.
QT either boost or travel will now dissable your shields, weapons etc. so you cna't just QT from combat. QT travel will be reserved mostly for planet to planet hops over millions of kms.

Underground facilities rework.
Underground facilities will be now much more robust, they will different depending on corporation, they will have multiple points of entry, they will allow to bring up small vehicles, multiple pathways through those facilities, various types of environments industrial areas, maintance, corporate offices, lobbies, storages etc.

Relay system and resources. Mostly for ships.
Long in work resources system. Ships now will have resources and that resources pathways could be damaged, ship could lose electricity in part of ship due to shot fuse, swappable components, fire spreading, gravity systems, captains designating roles for people giving them access to certain parts of ship.

Lorville, first SC city gets version 2.0
Basically they are bringing it up to standard of New Babbage and Orison. Current Lorville was their first city and they back then just wanted to have landing zone with pretty vista around it. With New Babbage they pushed stuff further and whole city doesn't have "you can't be here" with multiple landing zones on skyscrappers etc on ground etc. Now Lorville also will be like that.

New type of missions.
Basically space detective. Finding clues, trying to figure out the truth, various rewards depending on how you solve cases. etc. Sounds boring but it looked interesting. Heavy importance at player trying to figure things out instead of following markers.

That is for official part

------------------
------------------

Unannounced previously there was "one last thing" where Chriss sat with other dude and talked about bunch of random features that are effectively done in SQ42 with videos to prove it that they will bring "soon" to SC.

Huge improvement to locomotion system - parkour, ladders, really impressive zeroG EVA,

Reworked for 5th time (yes 5th time) ship UI. They didn't show it but 4th version which was barely delivered on one-two ships apparently got scrapped. IT was nice looking but they didn't like clutter. Their new UI is mostly based on MFDs with bare minimum helmet HUD. They didn't show video but Chris wagged his hands for 20 minutes...

Really impressive demo of their AI tech showing multiple instances of combatm investigation and working as a group. It kind of looked like MGS4 AI behavior, especially group ai thing. AI can assist, split work like searching, actually really look around for you etc. The most impressive part about it is that everything was not scripted but fully systemic.

Scanning/minimap. They new scanning for FPS creates minimap. Scanning also highlights, enemies, things you can use etc. scanning can be picked up by enemies.

Rework of interaction system. Current interaction system is clunky shit. This new ones seems to be much more streamlined and easier to use.

Rework of Mobiglass.

Push/pull system for trolleys expanded onto other things.

-----------------------

and now to end it and go wild

STATS. Yes you heard that right.

Strength - your load limit, what can you pick up etc.
Endurance - how long you can wear heavy armor, etc.
Toughness - resistance to elements etc.
Fitness - stamina

TECHNIQUES:

You will be able to learn better hand to hand moves etc.

Full MMORPG i guess.

ADL

Prophet
New mobiglass looking good. Not sure how anyone can look at today's showcases and have a single bad thing to say about it or the project's progress. Ten years. Who gives a fuck when they're delivering?
unknown.png

Myobi

Liturgist
Ship rework, Lorville rework, underground rework, 5th UI rework, interaction rework, mobiglass rework... guys, 2024, trust me!

Not sure how anyone can look at today's showcases and have a single bad thing to say about it or the project's progress. Ten years. Who gives a fuck when they're delivering?

Dude... it's a fucking menu.

ADL

Prophet
Read Pekel's summary. It's not just the mobiglass. Everything they've shown during CitizenCon where they didn't even bother to put a keynote together looks top tier. It's all highly in development and it still looks decades ahead of the competition. I remain extremely happy with the progress they've made, especially when the "competition" with Star Citizen as a space sim MMO is World of Warcraft or Elite Dangerous.
Today Star Citizen developer Cloud Imperium Games is hosting CitizenCon 2952, and the event began with a report from founder and creative director Chris Roberts.

We learn that of the over 4.1 million registered accounts, 1.7 million players have purchased the game. This is quite relevant, as the question of how many of the registered accounts actually represented paying customers has been a recurring one.

While there is still a lot of content and features to be implemented before Roberts is ready to consider Star Citizen done, people are playing more than ever. The game has reached 50,000 average daily unique players this year, and there have been several times in which it has peaked at 130,000. This compares to just under 10,000 in 2017 and 32,000 last year.

The average playtime of players that log-in in 2022 is 3 hours a day in comparison to 48 minutes in 2017, 64 minutes in 2018, and 2 hours in 2019. Since then, the playtime statistic has been steadily increasing. In 2022 alone, players have spent 36 million hours in the game cumulatively. According to Roberts, this is a testament to the hard work the developers have done to make Star Citizen – even in its alpha stage – more performant and stable than it has ever been.

Cloud Imperium Games itself has grown, and today it counts 835 staff worldwide, and 500 among that staff will be welcomed next week to the brand new studio in Manchester.
https://twinfinite.net/2022/10/star-citizen-purchased-1-7-milion/?
Impressive. DAU could easily double with the Vulkan renderer addressing performance problems.

Last edited:

Myobi

Liturgist
It's all highly in development and it still looks decades ahead of the competition. I remain extremely happy with the progress they've made, especially when the "competition" with Star Citizen as a space sim MMO is World of Warcraft or Elite Dangerous.
Lol! It looks “decades ahead” of WoW (released in 2004) and ED (released in 2014)... impressive indeed!

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Pretty lowkey for a citcon. I appreciate that they focused on stuff that is deep in development instead of long term plans, and didn't show the usual mockup mission.

The changes to the locomotion/interaction/UI look good and are much needed.

Nice to see the resource system again, but I'm not exactly impressed with the progress. The design is good, but they've been talking about that for at least a couple years and it looks like there is still a lot of work to do.

ADL

Prophet
It's all highly in development and it still looks decades ahead of the competition. I remain extremely happy with the progress they've made, especially when the "competition" with Star Citizen as a space sim MMO is World of Warcraft or Elite Dangerous.
Lol! It looks “decades ahead” of WoW (released in 2004) and ED (released in 2014)... impressive indeed!

Not the point. Besides this and a small handful of by-the-numbers MMOs where you kill boars and skin them for the quest reward, MMOs are a dead genre outside 10-20 year old games still running.

World of Warcraft is considered the best-in-class MMORPG overall and Elite is considered the best-in-class space MMO. Is Star Citizen far ahead of both? Absolutely and when it's the only promising game in the genre on the horizon who gives a fuck how many years it takes?

Myobi

Liturgist

Not the point. Besides this and a small handful of by-the-numbers MMOs where you kill boars and skin them for the quest reward, MMOs are a dead genre outside 10-20 year old games still running.

World of Warcraft is considered the best-in-class MMORPG overall and Elite is considered the best-in-class space MMO. Is Star Citizen far ahead of both? Absolutely and when it's the only promising game in the genre on the horizon who gives a fuck how many years it takes?

Lol! Star Citizen (max players: 100) is a better MASSIVE multiplayer game than Elite Dangerous (max players:32)... CAN WE GET AN AMEN?!?!

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
I feel sad for the people who worked on Duke Nukem Forever, they thought they would at least be remembered for having the longest development time for a commercial game, but Soon™ they won't even have that.

ADL

Prophet
They haven't delivered anything until you're playing it.
It's going to be seven years in December. The persistent universe in the 2.0 release of a unfinished single system exceeded the Kickstarter pitch alone if you value atmospheric content more than 100 systems with planets as 2D skyboxes. That system has since been finished and greatly refined with more on the way just like it. As for SQ42, that was simply intended as a prologue to the sandbox MMO (Star Citizen) but I'm guessing as a result of the massive amount of funding it'll be significantly more so even people who backed exclusively for the singleplayer stuff are getting more than they bargained for.

ADL

Prophet
Time is more valuable than money for most people and if you've even spent ten minutes watching some nerd's 5 hour video essay about it then I've already won. I'm in for $35 total and I've gotten a thousand plus hours logged. Small handful of those hours were frustrating but overall a positive experience. It's not that hard to admit that you guys were wrong but feel free to stay losing because it gets funnier and funnier the more and more that gets delivered. Keep doubling down.

Dhaze

Cipher
Just popped in my head the image of a Venn diagram made of people who keep supporting Chris Roberts and of people who answer emails sent by a Nigerian prince; it was a single circle.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Time is more valuable than money for most people and if you've even spent ten minutes watching some nerd's 5 hour video essay about it then I've already won. I'm in for $35 total and I've gotten a thousand plus hours logged. Small handful of those hours were frustrating but overall a positive experience. It's not that hard to admit that you guys were wrong but feel free to stay losing because it gets funnier and funnier the more and more that gets delivered. Keep doubling down.
Time is more valuable than money. I'm in for... I don't know. Maybe an hour, total - reading this thread and laughing at your delusion. It was a good investment.

what happened to the FPS?

You mean the singleplayer game, Squadron 42? Don't know. It's development was rebooted at least twice. Chris promised to give us a status update on it in Fall 2020 but then never did. New content for Star Citizen the MMO has slowed to a tiny drip and people have their fingers crossed hoping that the content drought is because SC devs were moved over to SQ42, and then one day SQ42 will be released and SC will get meaty patches again. I'm not holding my breath.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom