Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Myobi

Liturgist
I don’t get it, I’m sitting in a big ass fucking circus, free entries, front row sit, one guy juggling gold bars, fat whales jumping through hoops, and the best clowns in the world telling the audience they are winning after spending cash on a red nose to keep me entertained for hours.

It’s a crazy world and I love it.

Last edited:

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
You mean the singleplayer game, Squadron 42? Don't know. It's development was rebooted at least twice. Chris promised to give us a status update on it in Fall 2020 but then never did. New content for Star Citizen the MMO has slowed to a tiny drip and people have their fingers crossed hoping that the content drought is because SC devs were moved over to SQ42, and then one day SQ42 will be released and SC will get meaty patches again. I'm not holding my breath.
"SQ42" stands for "Second Quarter 2042".

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
You mean the singleplayer game, Squadron 42? Don't know. It's development was rebooted at least twice. Chris promised to give us a status update on it in Fall 2020 but then never did. New content for Star Citizen the MMO has slowed to a tiny drip and people have their fingers crossed hoping that the content drought is because SC devs were moved over to SQ42, and then one day SQ42 will be released and SC will get meaty patches again. I'm not holding my breath.

Boy that's optimistic since I heard it's 3042...

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Boy that's optimistic since I heard it's 3042...
Nah man, he meant Second Quarter 2042 Foundation Era.

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Well honestly I really can't say anything bad about the showcases.

The bad stuff usually gets said whenever I go back in for a free fly event and realize it's still the same janky unplayable mess it was last time. Except with more bloat.

Perkel

Arcane
3.18 went to evocati testers.
PTU probably end of November maybe early december.
LIVE probably january 2023.

Pretty sure they will do 3.17.4 in november for their ship sales.

and overall progress on 3.18:

YKQVJsn.jpg

Myobi

Liturgist
On other news:

Star Citizen has been purchased by over 1 million players...

Today there are just over four million accounts with 1.7 million accounts of them having purchased the game

Roberts went on to say that the average number of daily players in 2022 was 50,000, with a peak of 130,000 players happening several times during the year. "But the amazing stat is that the average player who logs-in in 2022 is three hours a day," Roberts said. "Back in 2017, it was just 48 minutes…and from there it's just been increasing."

Registering for a Star Citizen RSI account is free, but players do need to purchase game packages to play the alpha--the cheapest being $45.

As of September 2022, Cloud Imperium Games raised over $500 million

ADL

Prophet
The new generation of hardware is so powerful that it brute forces through Star Citizen's current bottlenecks. 4K/90 in landing zones. Can't wait to see how high frame rates go with the multithreaded Vulkan renderer.

Myobi

Liturgist
Incline? My dudes, that's a 6,000 hourly average players online.

… and an average of 300$ per account, ignoring AMD promotions, refunds and whatnot.

Considering that probably most accounts don’t go much over the minimum required of 45$ to play… these are some fatass fucking whales swimming around there my dudes.

LJ40

Cipher
God damn, I kind of wish I was retarded and could be happy with this kind of shit. Seriously, just imagine how blissful life is when you're a fucking retard. I've been sniffing glue for almost a month now in preparation for this game. I've forgotten some words, but can still do math. As soon as the math is gone I'm fucking ready!

ADL

Prophet

… and an average of 300$ per account, ignoring AMD promotions, refunds and whatnot.

Considering that probably most accounts don’t go much over the minimum required of 45$ to play… these are some fatass fucking whales swimming around there my dudes.
Let me break this down. You're saying that this alpha that practically requires a supercomputer to play reasonably well is averaging 2500 player less per hour than Path of Exile on Steam? Because Path of Exile has 8,600 people playing right now and that puts it as #91 on the top 100 most played games on Steam. Is that supposed to be insulting or imply it's a dead game? Imagine how many users they'll have once the multithreaded renderer comes so you don't need a $400 CPU to run it decently.

That's 60 fully populated Stanton systems for reference btw.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Let me break this down. You're saying that this alpha that practically requires a supercomputer to play reasonably well is averaging 2500 player less per hour than Path of Exile on Steam? Because Path of Exile has 8,600 people playing right now and that puts it as #91 on the top 100 most played games on Steam. Is that supposed to be insulting or imply it's a dead game? Imagine how many users they'll have once the multithreaded renderer comes so you don't need a $400 CPU to run it decently.

Yeah, just imagine. Now send Chris Roberts a cheque for running Star Citizen in your mind, the only platform it will actually launch on.

Myobi

Liturgist

"Right now" isn't an average my dude, because "right now" there are 13,000 players online in Path of Exile.

... meanwhile just last month it had an average hourly concurrency of 29,000 online players.

Cyberpunk, a 2 year old single-player game with a shitshow of a release, often brought up by the Star Citizen community was standing with an average of 43,000 last month.

Project Zomboid, a indie early access title that has been in development for years as well by just a couple of dudes, had an average of 20,000 players.

Star Citizen is mostly played just by the whales that keep feeding it, the vast majority of people just hop in to check big content updates and then go back to whatever they were playing before.

Last edited:

Dhaze

Cipher
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when it comes to the number of players there is no way for us randos to consult the exact figures as we can for other games with something like, say, steamcharts. Meaning we have to take Chris Roberts' word for it—and this guy's every heartbeat is accompanied by a lie (Theatres Of War, Squadron 42, etc).

Peak number of players should, I think, be disregarded almost entirely. For a game being perpetualy developed, it means little; when there's a big update there's naturally a huge influx of players who came back for a very short while, to see what has changed, before leaving the game again until the next big update.
As a friend told me recently, the 'novelty' of the much-vaunted cargo refactor system—a.k.a. stacking boxes atop one another—goes away pretty quickly.

Average number of daily players is much more interesting, but given the awfully opaque nature of numbers communicated by CIG and Roberts, I personnaly would put more trust in something like Twitch views. For the sake of curiosity I wanted to see how Star Citizen compares to Age Of Empires 2.

- Age Of Empires 2 stats on sullygnome
- Star Citizen stats on sullygnome
- Age Of Empires 2 stats on twitchtraker
- Star Citizen stats on twitchtraker

All in all, it's not brilliant for Star Citizen. Being at its core a 23 years old RTS, AoE2 is the very definition of a niche game, and overall Star Citizen does not seem to garner much more attention.

Of course that's only Twitch views, but still, I think it's more interesting and certainly more reliable information than any number spewed by Roberts.

Yeah, just imagine. Now send Chris Roberts a cheque for running Star Citizen in your mind, the only platform it will actually launch on.

It's like virtual reality gaming, but without the need for expensive gear or even cerebral implants! Truly a game of the future. If Star Citizen ever goes kaput, Chris Roberts could become a mattress or pillow salesman, what with his habit of selling dreams.

Myobi

Liturgist
Yes, you just have to take Chris Roberts word for it, and yes, the dude is consistent as shit, after a hardcore night of tacos. However, why would he lie about such shit numbers? It’s the reason why he gave you a daily average, not an hourly one.

Twitch views is a shitty metric to go for, as views don’t necessarily translate into… well, much at all, I mean “just chatting” is #1 most viewed shit in twitch =/

SerratedBiz

Arcane
if you've even spent ten minutes watching some nerd's 5 hour video essay about it then I've already won
This reads like a supervillain's "fools! I've already won!" speech right before they get stomped the fuck out by a random party of heroes.

Myobi

Liturgist
if you've even spent ten minutes watching some nerd's 5 hour video essay about it then I've already won
This reads like a supervillain's "fools! I've already won!" speech right before they get stomped the fuck out by a random party of heroes.
You don't understand! He already collected all the extra Infinity Chromostones, his down with the syndrome now!

Friendship and flashbacks just aren't enough to withstand his retardation field... there is no hope...

Also, LOL:

Well see people make a new account and use their own referral. Then they buy a starter pack. Gift that to their main account which got the referral reward. Melt that 45 dollars package to use the gained "LTI"token and upgrade it so something they want.

Just like that CIG can add a new account that bought the game to their list. Its intended like that otherwise they would block that process which they dont. Also they got more money out of people ontop of that.

Perkel srly? Wut?!?

Last edited:

Dhaze

Cipher
Yes, you just have to take Chris Roberts word for it, and yes, the dude is consistent as shit, after a hardcore night of tacos. However, why would he lie about such shit numbers? It’s the reason why he gave you a daily average, not an hourly one.

Because he thinks they're good numbers. I would bet hard-earned cash on that.

This is the guy who thinks finally having working elevators after years of development is a notable milestone of sorts. He's sufficiently disconnected from reality that he has no idea what is or isn't an impressive number of players for such a game.

Twitch views is a shitty metric to go for, as views don’t necessarily translate into… well, much at all, I mean “just chatting” is #1 most viewed shit in twitch =/

I don't think it's an outright shitty metric.

The daily or hourly or whatever-y average number of players tells us pretty much fuck all in Star Citizen's case. That's really a shitty metric. With supposedly 1.7 million accounts of players who purchased the game, 95% of that average 50k daily players might well be players who come back for one day per month, just to see if the game is still a broken slideshow.

Meanwhile, on Twitch, aside from outlier categories like Just Chatting, Music, Sports, and others of that ilk, looking at the ranking of actual games streamed on that platform reflect quite accurately their popularity. At the very top I'm seeing Valorant, GTA, Overwatch, LoL, FortNite, Apex, WoW, Cs:Go, etc... If nothing else, it's a valuable gauge for the overall popularity/attractability of a game.

And so the interest in Star Citizen streams on Twitch is actually, well, interesting. Chris Roberts telling me that 7 bazigajillion players are logging into the game every day? Don't give a shit. Players high on hopium telling me the servers are full to the brim 24/7? Press X for doubt. But Twitch stats showing me where Star Citizen streams land when compared to other games? Yeah, I think that's rather valuable information.

Myobi

Liturgist
It tells you that even if the numbers are exaggerated by Chris Roberts, it’s still pretty fucking low considering what the community has been bragging trough out the years.

As for twitch, it's is a shitty metric for player engagement.

It’s not just about popularity itself, there is a reason why most watched are competitive arena games.

You can also have a video game that no one ever even fucking heard about, you grab the right popular streamer, it will get it a fuck ton of views…

Don’t get me wrong, yes, lots of those are still crazy popular and have a ton of players playing, but that never really translates into player engagement…

Dhaze

Cipher
I absolutely agree with you about pretty much everything, from the numbers in question depicting a very low popularity/attractiveness despite what the Star Citizen community might say, to the fact that Twitch numbers are a bad—or at least very skewed—metric regarding player engagement.

What I'm thinking about is that every time there's a big Star Citizen patch or update there's a big uptick in the number of streams and views, because people are interested in what might have changed. Then in the following days that uptick always completely goes away, because what was added was a functionning elevator or locker or boxes that don't disappear or some laughable shit like that.
But if one day I see a big update accompanied by the usual big uptick in interest, with that interest then sustaining itself instead of subsiding within a couple of days, then, yeah, ok, perhaps now there's something to that update instead of the usual PR stunt.

Mind you, that's mostly rethorical, i.e. talking about it for the sake of talking about it. Also know has 'wasting time on Codex'.

I don't think for a second that anything of actual substance will ever be added to Star Citizen; in five years it'll still be a gargantuous mess of half-baked ideas, un-implemented or outright discarded promises, that requires the latest $1500 GTX in order to run better than Crysis would on a 3dfx Voodoo3. And Squadron 42 will still be somewhere in the ether, "two years away" as the developers say.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom