Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Perkel

Arcane
That's not true, the video above references their regular marketing videos, not only they annual con.

That account has many other similar examples:

It's fair to say they talk about features/gameplay in their marketing videos that likely have no real intent of releasing.

Another example:

Even hardcore star citizen fan admit that VR is not happening.

Citizencon etc.
They have few "shows" weekly going for years at this point. Each focusing on different aspect of development. Q&ALive is just direct QA with fans and devs, Inside Star Citizen is what devs are cooking for next patch or next next patch etc.

Examples of Inside Star Citizen:

Last edited:

Elthosian

Arcane
Least deranged SC believers:

erXw5tn.png

Elthosian

Arcane
Those cunts have been buying JPGs for years, what exactly do you expect from them?
It's called investing okay?

Return for a credit deposit after 10 years is, what, around negative 2% accounting for inflation? I got like 30% more inflation-adjusted dollars than what I had put into Star Citizen when I cashed out. I think they can at least get this one :shittydog:

Blaine how much did you get for your stuff? I think you had invested a lot into this before you came to your senses.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Blaine how much did you get for your stuff? I think you had invested a lot into this before you came to your senses.

It wasn't an "investment." That would be lying to myself and to everyone else. I got lucky and came to my senses almost immediately, right after the initial crowdfunding campaign wrapped up.

What decided me was when CIG started selling another capital ship shortly after the crowdfunding campaign wrapped, after plainly stating that they wouldn't do that very thing. "Backer exclusivity" had no part in my decision, and in fact I wanted no such thing, as that alienates normal players; I simply realized that CIG couldn't be trusted to follow through on, well, anything. Boy, was I correct.

I still have access to the Reddit posts I used to sell the ships. The Idris Corvette cost $1,000 when it was available during the original campaign, and I sold two for $3,000; the Vanduul alien fighter cost $300, and sold for $1,500 (much more limited sales window or something). Again, I sold two of them.

I spent $2,600, and made a net profit of $6,400. Those profits more-or-less covered the amount of money I spent on other Kickstarters and crowdfunds at the time (Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, Numanuma, Elite Dangerous, etc.). This doesn't include my regular ol' $250 "fancy backer package" ship, which I believe I never bothered to sell and still belongs to me, even though I'd have a devil of a time figuring out how to access it now.

So, in the end, I neither lost nor gained anything but sanity during the Kickstarter bubble.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
fml, when I grow up I want to be just like you.

I am this close to being financially illiterate, primarily because I detest finance as an entire field. Rubbing coins together literally makes me physically ill. I would rather do pretty much anything other than think about the manipulation of currency.

I have no debt, I own everything (house, land, car, kayak, etc.) that I have free and clear, and I have savings and investments... the latter primarily because I inherited not only some money, but the account with an excellent private investment firm that came with it. That firm hates me because I rarely answer their queries or participate in any of their paperwork.

I don't squander money, but I'm the last person you'd ever want to ask how to "grow" money. My Star Citizen sell-off was pure luck and a windfall. I wanted those ships because I was a fan, simple as.

Myobi

Liturgist
Inside Star Citizen: Preparing Prototypes

58,479 views 27 Jul 2023
We're back and ready to take you where no Inside Star Citizen has gone before. Get ready to see one of the earliest stages of testing and design as the Gameplay Feature Team demonstrates an early prototype for the next level of Salvage gameplay, Munching.

Lol.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
This is like the real world beginning of a colony ship project:

Every day since I was born, I woke up to toil on the Star Citizen. Some day, we'll reach our destination, but I will not live to see it, just like my father, and my father's father, and his father before him.

We don't know why we work on the Star Citizen, all we know is we must keep the grift spinning.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

It wasn't an "investment." That would be lying to myself and to everyone else. I got lucky and came to my senses almost immediately, right after the initial crowdfunding campaign wrapped up.

What decided me was when CIG started selling another capital ship shortly after the crowdfunding campaign wrapped, after plainly stating that they wouldn't do that very thing. "Backer exclusivity" had no part in my decision, and in fact I wanted no such thing, as that alienates normal players; I simply realized that CIG couldn't be trusted to follow through on, well, anything. Boy, was I correct.

I still have access to the Reddit posts I used to sell the ships. The Idris Corvette cost $1,000 when it was available during the original campaign, and I sold two for $3,000; the Vanduul alien fighter cost $300, and sold for $1,500 (much more limited sales window or something). Again, I sold two of them.

I spent $2,600, and made a net profit of $6,400. Those profits more-or-less covered the amount of money I spent on other Kickstarters and crowdfunds at the time (Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, Numanuma, Elite Dangerous, etc.). This doesn't include my regular ol' $250 "fancy backer package" ship, which I believe I never bothered to sell and still belongs to me, even though I'd have a devil of a time figuring out how to access it now.

So, in the end, I neither lost nor gained anything but sanity during the Kickstarter bubble.
Just serves to prove Star Citizen was the fist NFT's of the current era.

Tarkleigh

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
^ Indeed, the Cologne Cathedral of video games. There's already parts of the code nobody has a clue what the fuck they do.
Wtf is that supposed to mean, it may be high maintenance but the Kölner Dom is real and served its function for centuries. :argh:
I think he means that it takes more than a lifetime to finish the game, just like it did for the cathedrales of old

Eli_Havelock

Learned
^ Indeed, the Cologne Cathedral of video games. There's already parts of the code nobody has a clue what the fuck they do.
Wtf is that supposed to mean, it may be high maintenance but the Kölner Dom is real and served its function for centuries. :argh:
I think he means that it takes more than a lifetime to finish the game, just like it did for the cathedrales of old
There's also about the same amount of prayer and faith on display, too. :lol:

Virgil Brummond

Educated
CIG recently changed their "PTU access" requirements (early access to the early access of their tech demo releases) favouring new money and demoting "concierge" backers (you need to buy $1 K worth of JPEGs to be a "concierge"):

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...ve-restructure-sharpening-the-tools-1/6143305

We have also come to notice that many players only log in once per PTU phase to briefly inspect the latest features or new ships before waiting for the live release. This led to very high player loads in the first hours of each wave release, combined with comparatively high server costs and download provisioning, but not the sustained playtesting we would have preferred.
JPEG cash isn't enough to cover Chris Robert's 3r yah ... server costs and download provisioning.

Wave 1:
- Top active players rated by hours in the previous two major patch cycles
- Subscribers
- Legatus Navium Concierge-level backers
I believe Legatus Navium requires wasting $50 K on JPEGs.

The concierge backers are not happy to be treated like plebs.

Gotta extract as much money out of your supporters as you can before they eventually lose interest. It has been over a decade since the kickstarter began after all.

Myobi

Liturgist
Smells like despair, love it.

Plus if you dumped over a thousand dollars on this fucking thing you probably deserve it anyway, isn't that right ADL ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom