Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Stokowski

Arcane
Yeah, the interviewer now looks like this:

YS5rSYW.jpg

Feel old yet, kids?

Chris Roberts looks almost the same, but that's probably because part of the plan for SC development is to supply him with enough infant blood to prolong his life long enough to finish SC (impossible challenge).

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I am actually somewhat perplexed by where the funding for this game is evening coming from at this point. I'm not going to bet the farm on it, but it wouldn't surprise me if the funding actually is not there as was the case with Richard Garriot's game.
They allegedly raised $77m in 2022. That's a metric shit ton of money for a game that everyone bullies online.

There are a surprising amount of whales who still buy into the BS. For many of them, buying new ships with real money isn't a way to fund the game some more. They consider it a core part of the experience. Something that you're eventually going to do if you keep playing the tech demo game.

The same dumb motherfuckers who will one day tell you not to complain that almost nothing in the "game" works properly, because you knowingly bought into an alpha, and 10 minutes later tell you not to complain about development dragging because there is a released "game" that you can play right now and it already has more content than most other AAA games.

People want to get scammed. It's the only reasonable explanation.

During the first few years, there was a lot of enthusiasm and a big community thing going on. You had podcasts like Tales of Citizens and lots of people recruiting for their organizations (guilds). People spent thousands of dollars on capital ships intending to use them for their orgs/guilds. One $3,000 Javelin is worth 66 players who only bought the $45 starter package, and Star Citizen sold out thousands of capital ships so that's several million in cash right there. Then you had people buying multiple accessory ships for their guild fleets like fighters and bombers and shuttles to fill their capital ships' hangars, Starfarers for refueling, Pioneers to land on planets and build player/org owned settlements, Anvil Liberators for landing a small army of ground vehicles on planets to conquer other people's settlements, etc. Nowadays most Star Citizen podcasts are dead and you don't see anywhere near as much org talk going on anymore.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
During the first few years, there was a lot of enthusiasm and a big community thing going on. You had podcasts like Tales of Citizens and lots of people recruiting for their organizations (guilds). People spent thousands of dollars on capital ships intending to use them for their orgs/guilds. One $3,000 Javelin is worth 66 players who only bought the $45 starter package, and Star Citizen sold out thousands of capital ships so that's several million in cash right there. Then you had people buying multiple accessory ships for their guild fleets like fighters and bombers and shuttles to fill their capital ships' hangars, Starfarers for refueling, Pioneers to land on planets and build player/org owned settlements, Anvil Liberators for landing a small army of ground vehicles on planets to conquer other people's settlements, etc. Nowadays most Star Citizen podcasts are dead and you don't see anywhere near as much org talk going on anymore.

Well, imagine if you spent say $5,000 on jpegs or worse, the idea of a jpeg, and a decade later, the proper game is still nowhere in sight. I wouldn't want anyone to know either.

Perkel

Arcane
Urquhart, Fargo and Bill Gates walk into bar.

Urquhart: "Fuck my life, made company to be bought by some big dog and live in luxury instead I own ship of fools who can't make a big break. I'll be seventy before I will be able to buy small yacht."
Fargo: "Well I ain't any better. Used to be king of the world and now I make Wasteland sequels. I hate that fucking game. I made Bar's Tale again it was glorious but no one bought it. Bill you had amazing luck so early, fucking wish to be you."
Bill: "Eh you wouldn't, when you fucked those 10/10 blondes I had to pay hookers thousands of dollars just to touch my dick. And I had to toil my ass off for decades to make those big bucks."

Suddenly out of nowhere there was commotion. Drunken Chris stumbles in bar and sits near them.

Chris: "What's up losers !? Still working and shit ? Oh fuck Bill is here. Hey orc-man still paying hookers to touch your dick ? HAHAHA."
Bill: "Fuck you Chris. At least I have more money."
Chris: "Not anymore your not."
Bill, Fargo, Urukhai: "What ?"
Chris: "I made 600mil !"
Bill: "From fucking what ?"
Chris: "I told few guys to make chowline in my game !"
Fargo: "What ? And people pay you ? Did you even start working on that game."
Chris: "Yeah. Either way so long fuckers. Sitting with losers like you is bad luck."

Chris leaves.

Bill looks at Fargo and Urukhai: "Didn't you want to get bought ? I'll buy you."

Last edited:

Myobi

Liturgist
I like how some people moan about getting fucked by CiG are now refunding Star Citizen and pre-ordering Starfield, and when questioned about the wisdom behind pre-ordering video games, the answer seems to be "faith", they have "faith" in Bugthesda based on their previous products, Fallout 76 doesn't count because it was their first "MMO".

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I like how some people moan about getting fucked by CiG are now refunding Star Citizen and pre-ordering Starfield, and when questioned about the wisdom behind pre-ordering video games, the answer seems to be "faith", they have "faith" in Bugthesda based on their previous products, Fallout 76 doesn't count because it was their first "MMO".
Well, to be fair, Beth ships something. Whether it resembles what they hyped you up for is another matter, but say $60+ USD for a shallow video game is an objectively better deal than $60+ USD for a jpeg and a promise that some day it's going to be a super awesome battle cruiser.

Star Citizen reminds me of that Ebay scam where people were selling photos of PS5s and XBox series instead of the consoles, or in some cases, the empty box for console price with small text that indicated that people were not buying a console. Except Star Citizen has no small print.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom