Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

soutaiseiriron

Educated
That's a funny way of writing 130FPS
and 130 is a funny way of writing 107, dipshit. you read the chart wrong, average is light green. there's not a single 130 number in any of the averages in that video, 107 at 1080p is the highest average.
"if you're somebody who loves high FPS, 1440p is a great resolution" and an average of 95-100 with 1% lows of 50 (and 0.1% lows of god knows what, because they aren't gonna show those) is "high FPS". on a over $3000 pc.
Holy exaggeration. You can easily have a solid six hour session without that happening or servers crashing. Source: I just had one.
so i didn't exaggerate about there being a non-zero chance of clipping through the floor and dying, you just randomly lose progress to glitches once every 6-10 hours, nice.

ADL

Prophet
Arma is actually a good reference as it plays somewhere between Arma and a space sim with immersive sim elements on foot. If you've ever played a 100 player server in Arma you know what to expect. People have been making excuses for Operation Flashpoint/Arma's bugs and performance for the past 20 years because it's doing something unique that you can't get anywhere else. Star Citizen goes even further.

The game isn't without faults but a lot of the criticism is overblown to say the least. How about you go shit up the Tarkov and Dark and Darker threads if 6 hours of playtime before an unfair progression loss is too much. Willing to bet those games will bug out on you or you'll get fucked in the ass by cheaters far sooner than Star Citizen will do the same yet I don't hear shit about that.

Also I have a 5800X3D/4090 and speaking from experience those figures are only slightly below average across most games. 4K is demanding as hell. The game is 100% playable on a midrange system specced similar to any current gen console on the market. Those benchmarks were for a landing zone where you'll spend perhaps 5-10% of your time in game. Literally a worst case scenario. The rest of the time you'll be hitting 2-3x those frame rates while running missions. I dont see the problem. Performance is fine.

Myobi

Liturgist
At least Myobi tried it.
Yeah, 10/10 exaggerated experience:

Agreed. I don't know why considering the success:failure ratio of sandbox MMOs is exponentially higher than endless WoW clones.

I think $600 million dollars and over a decade of development time for one incomplete solar system with over half of game features still missing and the other half broken, incomplete or both MIGHT be why no developer even dare to dwell into such advance technology such as chowline and bed sheet deformation tech, I mean, it's fine when its idiots like you paying for it instead of the company I guess.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The funny bit here are autists who spend thousands of dollars on this game and Chris who keeps milking them.
Who cares? Does this somehow effect you or your life? Don't think so. If some people for whatever reason want to keep throwing money at this game, let them. People waste money on all kinds of things every single day.

so i didn't exaggerate about there being a non-zero chance of clipping through the floor and dying, you just randomly lose progress to glitches once every 6-10 hours, nice
From time to time in watching gameplay of this on Twitch, so far I have not seen this happen. Not saying that it can't however. This sounds more like possibly some issue on your end.

soutaiseiriron

Educated
Tarkov and (presumably, haven't played) Dark and Darker suck ass too, but those games don't have a budget of 700 million and 10 years of worth of excuses. Those are also highly popular and somewhat sweaty games, SC isn't and it's *purely* that and luck as to why cheaters and exploiters aren't taking away your progress on a regular basis.
The game is 100% playable on a midrange system specced similar to any current gen console on the market.
Conveniently, the guy you linked had a video showing a subscriber PC with a i5-10600K and a RX 6800, a very close CPU match for current consoles with a much more powerful GPU. 50fps average, 26fps 1%, 1080p medium/high. Barely playable. Surely the next jesustech (Vulkan?) will solve this.

Who cares? Does this somehow effect you or your life?
Scams and scammers are bad, even if you aren't personally affected by it.

Myobi

Liturgist
Scams and scammers are bad, even if you aren't personally affected by it.
Can you provide me the exact specific thing(s) that RSI is scamming people on?

2014: "It was originally announced for release in 2014 during the Kickstarter campaign"
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Citizen

2015: "Fall 2015 First Episode of Squadron 42 release"
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1GUDQuFb1A&feature=youtu.be&t=1h32m43s

2016: “SQ42 was announced originally in a Kickstarter campaign in 2012 together with Star Citizen. After the implementation of more Stretch goals (the last stretch goal was achieved 2014-11-10) the release was subsequently postponed. After CitizenCon in 2015, a new homepage "Answer the Call" showed the date 2016. At CitizenCon 2016 Roberts confirmed a delay of the game.”

https://i.ibb.co/zPPwHqD/2016.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/sq1VNQk/2016-2.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/LJbwdL1/2016-3.png

https://starcitizen.tools/Squadron_42
http://media.kotaku.foxtrot.future..../52/2016/10/squadron-42-2016-release-date.png
https://web.archive.org/web/2016121.../52/2016/10/squadron-42-2016-release-date.png

2017: "During tonight's Citizencon livestream, Cloud Imperium Games announced that Squadron 42, Star Citizen's single player campaign, will not meet its 2016 release date."
https://i.ibb.co/PWRv7Dw/2017.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/WKC3CJc/2017-2.jpg
web.archive.org/web/20161106004215/https://robertsspaceindustries.com/squadron42
web.archive.org/web/20190103031332/https://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/10/10/star-citizen-single-player-campaign-delayed-into-2017

2020: “Cloud Imperium Games, the company behind the long-awaited space sim Star Citizen, have made a big announcement. Squadron 42, the single player offshoot of Star Citizen, is going to enter the beta stages some time in mid-2020.”
https://www.gosunoob.com/star-citizen/squadron-42-beta-announced-2020/
….
"You will of course notice that our target beta date for Squadron 42 has moved back by 12 weeks in today's roadmap update"
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...adron-42-beta-delayed-three-months-to-q3-2020
….
“We will not be in beta this calendar year — that’s one thing I absolutely know,” Brian Chambers said in the video below. “And once we do have the dates that us internally and leadership and the team are confident that we have dates that we believe we can hit, with all the data we have together, we’ll share that to everybody as soon as we can.”
https://www.kotaku.com.au/2020/10/star-citizen-squadron-42-delay-again/

May. 2023:

Sem-T-tulo.jpg

(28/8/2023 still missing in action)

mM2fVAU.png

pv4egdc.png

Sem-T-tulo2.jpg

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/subscriptions

tw4gxxp8bi171.png

ow8lceayov741.png

Last edited:

soutaiseiriron

Educated
Wait, still not a thing? I remember ADL moaning about that shit since 2021...
I was wrong(?) Apparently Gen12 released in 3.18 (5 months ago), but they haven't implemented Vulkan. It helped, but it didn't actually do enough to matter much.

Can you provide me the exact specific thing(s) that RSI is scamming people on?
Selling ships that don't exist in game and aren't even worked on, delay after delay after delay on Squadron 42 (before going completely silent) (also he compared it to the fucking Apollo program lmao), promising things since the kickstarter 10 years ago without adding it, like VR.

Levenmouth

Cipher
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire

Beautiful. Money well spent.

The Fall.

I pressed the button to open the door.
But instead of entering, I fell through the floor.
I saw the horizon and the base above me.
A sight of beauty and wonder, but also of agony.

I kept falling through the void, no end in sight.
The base became smaller, fading in the light.
The air became thicker, obscuring my view.
I realized I was doomed, there was nothing I could do.

I felt a pang of regret, a wish to go back.
But it was too late, I had fallen off the track.
I wondered if anyone would notice or care.
That I was gone forever, lost in the air.

I closed my eyes and waited for the end.
The fall was my fate, my final friend.

Myobi

Liturgist
Money well spent.

Ya nuts? Free flight, but you know, time is money, and those were one of the worst couple of hours I wasted on gaming.

... and it's not just the bugs, it's how boring and time consuming everything is... just getting you to the hangar can take you 10 minutes, leaving that planet atmosphere could take around 15 minutes of flying on a straight line.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
People still pour money into it though, even if the "hype" has died down.
I have a feeling that many people who poured money into this are soon dying down themselves.

Yeah, it's a question of time. The subreddit used to be fanatical about the game, but nowadays negativity is quite common there. Eventually all but the biggest whales will turn on the game.

Its a bit more complicated than that, because Wing Commander, Starlancer n Freelancer did sort of happen, the problem is that most people don't seem aware of the negative impact of Chris Roberts on those projects...

It's a massive shame that more people weren't aware of what happened with Freelancer. Star Citizen is just what would have happened to Freelancer had MS not stepped in and pulled Roberts off the project.

You can say what you want about NMS's release, but HelloGames took the feedback to heart and have worked really hard to turn it around and deliver the product that players originally wanted (it's still shit, imo, but that's because it's not my kind of game). They were an indie studio who was in over their heads, but they owned up to the mistake and put in the work to make it right. That's not at all what Roberts is doing. Roberts hasn't even delivered a game yet and considering they're working on getting the sheet wrinkle physics just right for when an NPC hops up out of bed for an emergency vs just slowly getting up, they're not going to deliver a game in our lifetimes.

Does anyone actually play this game? Thoughts on how it is currently?

I spent quite a lot of time on it around April/May and while it has a couple of interesting concepts. it's a shitshow in general. Don't bother. Chat is constantly filled with people asking for help to work around bugs that have existed in the "game" for years. Basic game functionality doesn't work a lot of the time. Around April/May they removed the character reset, which is necessary if the server somehow fucks up your character. A lot of people were getting a "character unstowed" error, meaning that the servers couldn't "retrieve" their character. This left them completely unable to play the game. Support wouldn't help them either and told them tough luck, come back next wipe or when the character reset tool is reenabled. That's the kind of "game" that it currently is.

Even if you can push through the bugs, and you're going to experience bugs at least every few minutes, the available content is not great. All of it is merely proof of concept. People celebrate when the server is slow, because it means AI reaction times are slower and fights against AI are much easier, otherwise they just laser you. Don't listen to dumbasses telling you "there's something here that other games don't offer". Sure. It's also a fucking trainwreck that barely works.

Last edited:

Myobi

Liturgist
It's a massive shame that more people weren't aware of what happened with Freelancer. Star Citizen is just what would have happened to Freelancer had MS not stepped in and pulled Roberts off the project.

It wasn't just Freelancer: https://archive.org/details/StrikeCommanderManual/page/n45/mode/2up

"In hindsight, knowing what a truly Herculean task Strike Commander turned into, the heartache and disappointment it created when its release date was constantly pushed back, and the amount of time from our personal lives that it consumed, we probably should have designed it differently. We wouldn't have tried to do quite as much or shot quite as high. In our arrogance we had set out to create something that was not only better than everything else, it was several orders of magnitude better. And it was several orders of magnitude more expensive as well — in fact, the most expensive game ORIGIN has ever developed. Like Francis Ford Coppola and his film crew on Apocalypse Now, we knew we were in way over our heads, but we also knew there was no turning back."

Myobi

Liturgist
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize...sed_something/?share_id=3jJrHVppc4W52UItowUtA

(Prior CIG Employee Recently Released) Something Has To Change​

CONCERN

For all levels of Star Citizen fans, I thought I would get this out there as both a Backer, then an employee of CIG, then a Backer. I was employed with CIG for over 7 years. Prior to my employment, I was a backer for 2 years, and it was my dream job to be able to help make this dream project come true. Unfortunately, that came to a fold this year.
I want to make this abundantly clear: my opinion is what I am giving, not fact. I am expressing this as an educated person on both sides of the fence, twice (Backer -> Employee -> Backer), and believe my experience is worthwhile posting.

I have always (And will always) hold a fond memory of CIG in my heart. Everyone was so welcoming, I made some fantastic friends, and they treated me well through my entire employment, whether it was HR assistance or COVID goodie bags to get you through the gloom, they put out the stops and I will always admire them for that. When I walked into the office at Wilmslow way back when we were a rag-tag team ready to shape the world, we did, up to a point.

Where the problem arises, is through the project itself. We worked tirelessly to deliver on every front - Support, Sales, Marketing, Trailers, Marketing Art, QA, Office Ops, Player Experience, and the lot. The one part that affected the project the most it seems - was the game itself.

Don't get me wrong - the devs at CIG are VERY talented. I see comments like "It must be a stain against you to work at CIG". Those commentators are forgetting the revolutionary tech that has been created along the way, and they should be applauded for that. They are making tools and systems that will be used for games seen for generations to come, so please put the respect for them that they deserve.
Also, not only do I see negative comments about individuals within CIG, but I have also been personally doxxed by a certain man called DS himself. Apparently, I was meeting with people in car parks to share project secrets and should be waterboarded (His words!). Imagine doing your day-to-day job and having to put up with that. Please, take into consideration that there are really great people who are working on this project with no skin in the game and who just want to do the best job they can do - they shouldn't be belittled by the entire internet.

Onto business. I was a veteran of the project with over 7 years of experience in multiple departments (Having been instrumental in setting up some of them) and having unique knowledge of systems within Europe. I moved my home closer to work - my fantastic wife enabled me to move closer to work and she got a different job so I could progress.

Through a few meetings, I was dismissed. Not for poor performance. I didn't buy it and had a colleague of mine attend my last meeting to make sure I wasn't missing something. Surely they wouldn't get rid of someone who was a high-performing asset, who could have been useful to ANY team within CIG, who could have helped steer the ship essentially.
I want to reiterate everything is my opinion and not indicative of CIG, their reputation, spending, project trajectory, employees, etc.

In my opinion, they have incorrectly calculated their trajectory and player spending through 2023 and beyond. I believe that after so many years of the project not delivering, it's time to start grasping at small straws at least. I believe the fact that I do not want to play the game because the progress resets, the features are not complete, the guides are atrocious and in general, the future is unclear (For anyone at any level) shows CIG really needs to change their stance on what they do, how they do it, and how they communicate it.

In my opinion, they have over-invested in the Manchester office they have just built. They are more bothered about the wall art than they are about investing in additional staff. I personally saw a hiring freeze whilst spending $$$'s on making the office look like a piece of space art. It's fantastic to walk into, but as soon as I found out I was being laid off, I looked at everything differently. Some of the art was the same as my salary or multiple people's salary. Looking up the costs of office furniture (FURNITURE, not equipment) you could pay someone with two office fitments. TWO. there are a large number of offices, and when I heard the hiring freeze kicked in, and then they were having layoffs, I had to speak my mind.

The future for this project: They have to keep generating additional cash or it folds. If you do not buy certain elements, people lose their jobs, the game gets delayed, etc. I can't offer my exact recommendation, because my good friends lose their jobs, and they are fantastic at their jobs and don't deserve it at all. That being said, everyone who is buying the ridiculously priced items is propping up the project completely.

I was personally involved in the Cutlass Steel pricing. I suggested a ceiling figure of the ship based on its capabilities in comparison to the other Cutlass ships and its competitors (The Cutlass Black is notoriously undervalued, but still....). Despite my recommendation, the price got HIKED because "Surely people will buy it, it's a Cutlass".
This is a perfect example of what happens when people vote with their wallets - it makes them realize that it was a bad decision and that they should learn going forward. I think this is the key to going forward for the entire project. I think that the team can deliver key gameplay improvements going forward that encourage players to play and return, rather than trying to drip-feed concepts to people who may never fly them (I'm looking at you BMM). People "play the CCU game" to get a $500 ship for $250. Thats insane. I personally won't be spending a nickel or dime until the game is delivered, because I became a concierge backer over a period of 5 years and I still don't want to play the game as it is today, which hurts me because I contributed directly to it and want it to succeed. I'm just not going to perpetually test a product that, at this point, should be released.

Despite every conversation I had, despite every advantage I had for myself in the company, I was laid off, and I am so thankful I was. I now have more time with my family which is the most important thing to me. I now work for a company where every contribution I make is heard, and more importantly, it makes an impact on the company itself. I would never have left CIG if I wasn't pushed. I worked damn f*cking hard at it, and I'm proud of my work that has led to multiple successful teams.

I wish them the absolute best of luck, but I also hope that the people who genuinely want the project to succeed speak their minds, vote with their wallets, criticize where it's appropriate and champion where milestones are reached. We have a dream, and someone is trying to make it a reality, but don't get caught up in that dream if the reality is being shoved blocks down the road every time you get an update (or don't).

Dolvak
MOD·2 hr. ago
bmm

Hi! I just saw your follow up tweet where you mentioned CIG community mods on Reddit had reinstated your post.
Just to clarify, r/starcitizen is and always has been, entirely independent of CIG.
We reached out exclusively to verify your identity. The contents of your post do not break our rules and the post was restored less than a minute after you tweeted.

Perkel

Arcane
Some SCLeaks:
  • "(Alpha 4.0) It's still on track for EOY (maybe not fully Live, but PTU like other EOY patches)"
  • "With pyro and meshing"
  • "Meshing has been in active testing for months. Mostly focused on client crash handling, server crash fixes, and friend list issues."
  • "Pyro is almost done, will probably get a "feature complete" announcement at Citcon"

Some copium.

Myobi

Liturgist
Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
Glad we agree on something. I'm quite fond of the endless development business model. I wish my favorite games had endless funding and got developed for 10-20-30 years.

As long as it stops wiping at some point in the not-too-distant-future.

Perkel

Arcane
scleaks copium 2

Apparently they are planning to announce release date and beta of SQ42 on citizencon. All employees aside from few core engineers were assigned to work on CitizenCon 2023 and SQ42 for presentation. CitizenCon2023 will be on October 21-22.

Myobi

Liturgist
Glad we agree on something. I'm quite fond of the endless development business model. I wish my favorite games had endless funding and got developed for 10-20-30 years.

As long as it stops wiping at some point in the not-too-distant-future.

I wonder if enjoying watching your wallet being brutally fucked by another dude counts as cuckholding.

Also, 30 years? That's fairly optimistic of you and and probably a good indicator that ya ain't that good at math.

Apparently they are planning to announce release date and beta of SQ42 on citizencon. All employees aside from few core engineers were assigned to work on CitizenCon 2023 and SQ42 for presentation. CitizenCon2023 will be on October 21-22.

Server meshing, pyro and squadron 42! IMAGINE THAT! Ima get another Idris right fucking now.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Some SCLeaks:
  • "(Alpha 4.0) It's still on track for EOY (maybe not fully Live, but PTU like other EOY patches)"
  • "Meshing has been in active testing for months. Mostly focused on client crash handling, server crash fixes, and friend list issues."
  • "Pyro is almost done, will probably get a "feature complete" announcement at Citcon"

Some copium.

there is absolutely no way in a million years that pyro is done by the end of the year.

scleaks copium 2

Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it. And by that I mean I'll believe that they'll announce a release date when I see them announce a release date. I won't believe that they will actually stick to the release date.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Some SCLeaks:

Some copium.

there is absolutely no way in a million years that pyro is done by the end of the year.

Pyro was shown in detail last year at CitizenCon as well as its main station. It's pretty much done.
It's networking side that is holding them back.

Myobi

Liturgist
Some SCLeaks:

Some copium.

Pyro was shown in detail last year at CitizenCon as well as its main station. It's pretty much done.
It's networking side that is holding them back.
Yes, and Squadron 42 was pretty much done in 2016, just a little more polish.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom