Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Myobi

Liturgist
Hey Perkel now you know who's going to buy me this mess of wannabe game.

I genuinely love SC, but I never outright recommend it.

... and this is why MMO-C thread was far superior to this one, don't get me wrong, $30,000 in a fucking video game... you people are fucking nuts, go spend that shit in hookers and cocaine like a strong independent black man, but here there is this slight bit of self-awareness and attachment to reality even in the most balls deep mothers fuckers that MMO-C lacked and that is what made it so fucking entertaining. But now, I have questions though.... like, why then?

Last edited:

BuzzCutPsycho

Novice

... and this is why MMO-C thread was far superior to this one, don't get me wrong, $30,000 in a fucking video game... you people are fucking nuts, go spend that shit in hookers and cocaine like a strong independent black man, but here there is this slight bit of self-awareness and attachment to reality even in the most balls deep mothers fuckers that MMO-C lacked and that is what made it so fucking entertaining. But now, I have questions though.... like, why then?

Why? Because to me, World War 2 Online and Planetside were the best MMOFPS gaming experiences I ever had: scale, logistics, and fun. Star Citizen is the closest chance I'll ever have to a game like that in my lifetime, and it's slim that it'll come close. But nobody else is either.

I have a fully paid-off home, over 100 acres of land, and no debt. I have no other hobbies outside of gaming, except for hunting and fishing. $10,000 a year over the course of three years, in the grand scheme of things, isn't a lot.

And yes, when the game is in a state where I can comfortably recommend it, I'll pick you up a copy too if you'd like.

Myobi

Liturgist

Why? Because to me, World War 2 Online and Planetside were the best MMOFPS gaming experiences I ever had: scale, logistics, and fun. Star Citizen is the closest chance I'll ever have to a game like that in my lifetime, and it's slim that it'll come close. But nobody else is either.

I have a fully paid-off home, over 100 acres of land, and no debt. I have no other hobbies outside of gaming, except for hunting and fishing. $10,000 a year over the course of three years, in the grand scheme of things, isn't a lot.

And yes, when the game is in a state where I can comfortably recommend it, I'll pick you up a copy too if you'd like.

I can understand the “Because I can, and it's something I want.” part, but the possibility that someone like Chris Roberts might be taking advantage of that doesn't bother you?

Let me be completely honest with you, I don't “hate” Star Citizen, I disapprove its monetization methods and I trust Chris Roberts just as about as far as I can throw his fat ass, he has the same problem as Sean Murray from Hello Games, he gets overly excited about shit and starts over promising, adding more and more, making it bigger and bigger, no fucking limits or whatsoever, the industry does need people like that, just not in a leadership position... Freelancer is the prime example of why, loved it, sunk hundreds of hours into it, but I know that I have to thank Microsoft for it, because Chris greedy ass is unable to compromise and almost fucked it all up.

On top of it, we have the entire Ascendant Pictures shenanigans, where he just abused the shit out of a German tax loophole to enrich himself like a boss...

I think his intentions were legit, and the original project doable, with still a lot of potential, however, I believe he quickly realized what he stumbled upon, a wealthy group of people, starved due the neglect of this niche genre by the gaming industry, and the primary focused shifted from making a video game to milking the backers as much as he can before retirement.

Last edited:

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
People who want single player will have SQ42.

Which people who wanted an SP game crowdfunded in 2012 and it's still not out in 2024.

Yup, 1-2 years to go!

Jesus. Roberts has scammed half a billion out of backers and still can't afford to have plastic surgery to have that chin flab reduced. Dude looks like if a turkey ate nothing but McDonald's its entire life.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

I think his intentions were legit, and the original project doable, with still a lot of potential, however, I believe he quickly realized what he stumbled upon, a wealthy group of people, starved due the neglect of this niche genre by the gaming industry, and the primary focused shifted from making a video game to milking the backers as much as he can before retirement.

Scam Citizen was 100% a crime of opportunity.

BuzzCutPsycho

Novice

I can understand the “Because I can, and it's something I want.” part, but the possibility that someone like Chris Roberts might be taking advantage of that doesn't bother you?

Let me be completely honest with you, I don't “hate” Star Citizen, I disapprove its monetization methods and I trust Chris Roberts just as about as far as I can throw his fat ass, he has the same problem as Sean Murray from Hello Games, he gets overly excited about shit and starts over promising, adding more and more, making it bigger and bigger, no fucking limits or whatsoever, the industry does need people like that, just not in a leadership position... Freelancer is the prime example of why, loved it, sunk hundreds of hours into it, but I know that I have to thank Microsoft for it, because Chris greedy ass is unable to compromise and almost fucked it all up.

On top of it, we have the entire Ascendant Pictures shenanigans, where he just abused the shit out of a German tax loophole to enrich himself like a boss...

It would be totally okay and understandable if you did hate it. It would not bother me in the slightest. I simply think people thinking that I am "stupid" for spending my money on something I enjoy is just as silly as me thinking somebody is "stupid" for not spending money on something they don't enjoy.

I lead a very long and well-established gaming organization. I've been searching for a home that would provide us with the kind of game we've desired for over 10 years now. Nothing has quite scratched the itch. I don't have enough of my own capital to create my own gaming studio to make the perfect MMOFPS, because I promise you I am probably the only one who could do it. So I've instead decided to back Star Citizen since it seems to be the best bet and only option I have. I do not think I am being "taken advantage of" because I was not tricked or coerced into parting with my money. Again, to me, 10k a year for now over three years isn't a big deal. I could spend as much, if not more, on firearms and everything that goes along with that hobby.

I have no real strong feelings towards CR one way or another. I never played one of his games; this would be my first. I am also unaware and, no disrespect whatsoever to you, totally disinterested in anything he may or may not have done legally or illegally in the past. The monetization scheme for SC, to me, is no better or worse than any other out there in modern gaming. You've replaced micro transactions with macro transactions. I would rather pay a substantial amount upfront and know what I am getting as opposed to being pressured into paying a little bit here and there, being nickel and dimed. I know there are two big sales every year, one in May and another in November. And that's it. I know what I am getting, and what I am not.

The only thing I disapprove of from CR is not the money or how he makes it. Nor his past. What I do disapprove of is his somewhat silly focus on high fidelity at the cost of gameplay. That is thankfully being reined in and a lot more abstract design is taking place. What he wants is fine for a single-player game like SQ42; I have very little interest in it. I am sure I will play it though. But the cinematic nonsense has no place in an MMO game. It just gets in the way of good gameplay and development.

I cannot predict the future. If the game does not end up being what I want, my account has quite a lot on it that most others do not, minus the golden ticket. I could sell it and get a significant chunk of what I spent back. Not all of it of course, but enough to waste on another game or hobby if I so desired.

You'll find I am quite agreeable on a lot of things SC related. I am far from a cultist; I actually detest them. I view the fan base as a group of delusional retards who have an idea of a game in their head which can never be created. I see reality, SC is moving towards the reality that I want and further away from the fantasy they want. In the grand scheme of things, the OG backers are fools, and they're even bigger fools if they didn't think their "investment" was anything other than a donation to maybe get the game they wanted. I considered my money wasted the moment I spent it. But it doesn't matter; I'll just make more. It isn't like money has any value in recent times anyway.

Myobi

Liturgist
I simply think people thinking that I am "stupid" for spending my money on something I enjoy is just as silly as me thinking somebody is "stupid" for not spending money on something they don't enjoy.

It is silly, yet understandable, the average Joe will struggle or be completely unable to imagine a reality where “I don't know where to spend my money anymore...” is a thing, therefore sinking thousands dollars into as ingle video game, one that isn't even finished just feels crazy for most.

… but then again, it could be much worse, you could be snorting cocaine out of child's butt in some shady ass island, and you probably wouldn't even be questioned as much for that.

I don't have enough of my own capital to create my own gaming studio to make the perfect MMOFPS, because I promise you I am probably the only one who could do it.

I think this is the biggest and most common misconceptions gamers have, same problem as before, as people outside of the industry itself, its hard for us to grasp the struggles to put those “great ideas” in practice, often they might sound great on paper, but don't really translate very well into an actual game, it's why you had a bunch of “scams” rising up with Kickstarter, many of them were not intended to take your cash and vanish, many spent every cent and more on the projects, many were made by gamers without an actual game developing experience that though their ideas were the shit without pondering as why hasn't anyone else made it by now.

I do not think I am being "taken advantage of" because I was not tricked or coerced into parting with my money.

Maybe not you specifically, but you understand my point, right? It's not just the exaggerations or down right promising impossible shit, but the bait and switch too...it's okay to be fine with the new direction of the project, but this is not what many signed up for, and the “....but that's just how game development is!”, is a very lame ass excuse for it.

The monetization scheme for SC, to me, is no better or worse than any other out there in modern gaming. You've replaced micro transactions with macro transactions. I would rather pay a substantial amount upfront and know what I am getting as opposed to being pressured into paying a little bit here and there, being nickel and dimed.

That's mobile industry, PC/Console gaming trying to follow that trend will often get frown upon by gamers in general, but truth be told, in the end there are always people rewarding that sort of practice, often enough to be worth the flak they get for it, so step by step we'll get there as well.

I am far from a cultist; I actually detest them. I view the fan base as a group of delusional retards who have an idea of a game in their head which can never be created.

I don't think its the "fan base", just a highly vocal minority, most people I know that supported the project are about the same as you or Perkel, I can have a discussion and have a little banter without the high levels of autistic screeching.

the OG backers are fools, and they're even bigger fools if they didn't think their "investment" was anything other than a donation to maybe get the game they wanted. I considered my money wasted the moment I spent it.

I agree that when you back sort of shit you should always consider your money wasted, therefore, you shouldn't ever put more than you are willing to lose.

But legally speaking, these are purchases, not "donations", not "pledges" nor whatever the fuck, even according to CIG papers, they are purchases.

Also, I think the bigger fools are the ones throwing thousands of dollars at it in current days just to act surprised and regretful with the current state of things, as if there wasn't a over decade long track record of what's going on.

Perkel

Arcane
3.23 went into public EPTU.
Will try now. Heard it is in disastrous form lol.

edit:
lol new launcher takes 25% of my 3090 gpu just running idle.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Still a fucking dumpster fire then? I thought there was some talk about sq42/hell freezing over like a year or so ago? That on the cards yet?

Perkel

Arcane
Still a fucking dumpster fire then? I thought there was some talk about sq42/hell freezing over like a year or so ago? That on the cards yet?

I was talking about Star Citizen.
SQ42 is separate. They said last year they are "feature complete" and that they are now "polishing" SQ42 till release.
Rumor goes there will be release date on next Citizencon in october.

Normally it wouldn't matter much but Star Citizen got lately a lot of people from SQ42 dev team and features are ported from SQ42 (like new ui) so the "polish phase" might be true after all.

Still "polish phase" might be 10 years XD

Myobi

Liturgist

I was talking about Star Citizen.
SQ42 is separate. They said last year they are "feature complete" and that they are now "polishing" SQ42 till release.
Rumor goes there will be release date on next Citizencon in october.

Normally it wouldn't matter much but Star Citizen got lately a lot of people from SQ42 dev team and features are ported from SQ42 (like new ui) so the "polish phase" might be true after all.

Still "polish phase" might be 10 years XD

I remember Chris saying it needed a "little bit more polish" back in 2016 or some shit... so yeah, won't believe it till I see it.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Yeah, I'm not believing a single thing until that download goes live. Not a moment before. We've been promised that it's just around the corner too many times already.

Perkel

Arcane

I remember Chris saying it needed a "little bit more polish" back in 2016 or some shit... so yeah, won't believe it till I see it.

A bit earlier than that i think 2014/2015 back when game didn't have planet landings. Then they made planet tech V1 and planetary landing and it was obvious they had to rework everything completely. And since new vision was much much much much bigger than they worked on they quickly realized bespoke stuff has to go and they started to build systems instead that will handle all things rather than per ship per place per something that will sooner or later break.

If you look at old videos from 2012-2015 you can actually see that ships etc. were much more "final" and much more polished back then than now in 2024. They felt like they were from game ready to be shipped soon (worse looking but still more polished). Ships had bespoke UIs with MFDs showing properly ship systems etc. Even stuff like Quantum Jump was much more final. Robots repaired your ship instead of magic press of a button nothing, every pad had landing radar which is still not present in game etc.

BuzzCutPsycho

Novice
I am sorry for the late response. I has some time off work so I stayed away from the internet/computer for almost a week.

It is silly, yet understandable, the average Joe will struggle or be completely unable to imagine a reality where “I don't know where to spend my money anymore...” is a thing, therefore sinking thousands dollars into as ingle video game, one that isn't even finished just feels crazy for most.

… but then again, it could be much worse, you could be snorting cocaine out of child's butt in some shady ass island, and you probably wouldn't even be questioned as much for that.

The average Joe should not find what I or others do "normal" because it isn't. The average Joe, in today's era, is living paycheck to paycheck. And usually due to no fault of their own. So I totally get it.

I think this is the biggest and most common misconceptions gamers have, same problem as before, as people outside of the industry itself, its hard for us to grasp the struggles to put those “great ideas” in practice, often they might sound great on paper, but don't really translate very well into an actual game, it's why you had a bunch of “scams” rising up with Kickstarter, many of them were not intended to take your cash and vanish, many spent every cent and more on the projects, many were made by gamers without an actual game developing experience that though their ideas were the shit without pondering as why hasn't anyone else made it by now.

The majority of SC's "great ideas" are actually bad ideas for a game and I think some at CIG are finally starting to comprehend that. What was pitched 10 years ago is no longer applicable to today's standard. CIG has some truly awful ideas and they're finally going back on some. Death of a Spaceman is one of them.

Maybe not you specifically, but you understand my point, right? It's not just the exaggerations or down right promising impossible shit, but the bait and switch too...it's okay to be fine with the new direction of the project, but this is not what many signed up for, and the “....but that's just how game development is!”, is a very lame ass excuse for it.

I 100% understand your point. I think they need to do some "bait and switch" on a lot of their previous bad ideas too. It's time to say "Yeah, I know you backed this but the scope of the project as well as the industry standard has changed. The best use of your investment is to adapt so that we can meet those new standards."

That's mobile industry, PC/Console gaming trying to follow that trend will often get frown upon by gamers in general, but truth be told, in the end there are always people rewarding that sort of practice, often enough to be worth the flak they get for it, so step by step we'll get there as well.

Mobile industry is bad and I do not dabble in it but even crap like Halo tried to suckle every last penny out of me. Really put me off.

I don't think its the "fan base", just a highly vocal minority, most people I know that supported the project are about the same as you or Perkel, I can have a discussion and have a little banter without the high levels of autistic screeching.

You are totally right. The very vocal minority sit on Spectrum or Reddit and piss and moan. Sadly modern game devs give them way too much attention. Same with YouTubers. That is actually a big concern of mine. Those people are fucking stupid but loud.

I agree that when you back sort of shit you should always consider your money wasted, therefore, you shouldn't ever put more than you are willing to lose.

But legally speaking, these are purchases, not "donations", not "pledges" nor whatever the fuck, even according to CIG papers, they are purchases.

Also, I think the bigger fools are the ones throwing thousands of dollars at it in current days just to act surprised and regretful with the current state of things, as if there wasn't a over decade long track record of what's going on.

100%. But I always viewed what I spent as a donation or pledge. I am paying for something which may never be, an idea. But, I may be a fool to you because I plan to spend several thousand this year to round out my collection of JPEGs. But I know what I am getting into and don't expect to see a single thing I am paying for. Ever.

But I will keep fighting CIG and the idiots who would see the game fail due to bad design.

Perkel

Arcane
i decided to try mining.I tried it like 1,5 year ago and it was meh back then. It wasn't boring but it wasn't fun either. It was just there.

Now new mining is really really really good, like best mining in space game good. The whole aspect of managing distance, laser power, additional modules, gadgets etc. is really really meshing well together.

When you get to rock you get ~review if this rock can be mined and what is % composition. That is standard stuff most of games provide. But here there are more layers on top of that. Instability, resistance, mass, laser head, overcharge and few other systems interact and play really well.

With my prospector mining ship i am pretty much between 0 to around 12k in mass rocks smaller than 3k i can extract directly without breaking but they usually have high concertation of stuff i don't need. everything between 3k and 12k needs breaking which is fairly easy but the masses up to 12k provide like 20-30% of good stuff which means something like 30-50k per run assuming you even find good rock.

1,5 year back it was pretty much only this.

Now since they rebalanced and updated mining. With my prospector i can hunt for bigger rocks and this is where the real magic happens. The larger the rock the harder it is to mine it. Previously instability and other factors had just too small impact now they are everything.

I had 20k mass rock fractured with my prospector using every trick in the book. For one my laser power was waaaay to small for it, so instead i used overcharge mechanic + i first plopped onto rock mining gadget that lowered resistance. Overcharge on normal rocks it causes huge problems as instability rises exponentially but on such large rock i was able to move needle up. The problem ? My green zone was miniscule and using overcharge caused rock to get unstable and my needle was erratic as hell so even if i got to green zone it was impossible to hold it there. So when i got up to around 90% of required rock heat i went off from overcharge and got pack to normal laser mode which wouldn't budge an inch and it would instead drop down but then i fired my module which caused it to rise up, it was still not enough but i thought out that i can just blip overcharge combined with this for split seconds. The issue was instability now which thanks to module and blipping was withing bounds.

Module wasn't infinite i had 60 seconds and i had to balance tiny tiny green zone. Obviously i couldn't do it normally so i on purpose went toward red a bit at the time so that it would charge a bit along with green and lower it down.

By the time i fractured rock i had like 5 seconds left on the module and at the last moment i managed to move out from the blast zone which was enough to break rock but also damage or destroy my ship.

The reward was 70SCU worth of Taranite which i had to do 3 runs of extraction to fully collect. That's after refining around 60SCU which translates into something like 450-500k of cash

Moreover with so many factors playing into mining i could approach it from many different sides.

- maybe focus on expanding green zone with modules but then my laser power even with overcharge would be problem
- maybe instead focus on managing instability of laser ?
- maybe use red zone and try to lower damage received.
- maybe try different gadget or module ?
- what about inert materials ? Or breaking up pure fragment more ?

Above all of that this also highly depends on what type of rock you want to hunt for because medium sized rock will have different tactics than huge one.

Overall they really made mining into really compelling gameplay. The issue is that it is highly server dependant because rock heat build up is registered on server so you might not only fight with rock instability but also with lags in server response to heat build up.

-------------

Now i am angry because i actually want to play it lol but servers are shit so mining is terrible as those mechanics i like half of the time lag out lol.

I fucking hate this game.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Servers will be shit after a wipe too.

In the last year, every time I've played, servers are laggy and shit and people in the chat sit around waiting for the 30k so that they can experience an hour or two of good performance until the servers shit themselves again for the next half a day.

Myobi

Liturgist
I 100% understand your point. I think they need to do some "bait and switch" on a lot of their previous bad ideas too. It's time to say "Yeah, I know you backed this but the scope of the project as well as the industry standard has changed. The best use of your investment is to adapt so that we can meet those new standards."
... but "MMOs" are not really standard, they are kind of a dying breed if you ask me, too risky of an massive investment, the original plan was far more doable, it would be done by now, and it could pave the way for bigger projects such as the MMO or whatever the fuck.

Perkel

Arcane
... but "MMOs" are not really standard, they are kind of a dying breed if you ask me, too risky of an massive investment, the original plan was far more doable, it would be done by now, and it could pave the way for bigger projects such as the MMO or whatever the fuck.
It would be doable for sure. Thing is that we don't have clock and we can't see effects of that "doable".
What if SQ42 would became a dud in original form as Elite was ?

Elite was also "doable" and they did it in said time. Somehow it is not Elite that is raking in money but alpha of 12 year old in the making broken game.

I think this is strictly red vs blue ocean. In marketing red ocean is ocean in which other predators swim beside you, aka competition. IF SQ42 was released in original spec then it would swim in that red ocean as it would be just another space game and those don't sell much. As proven by pretty much every single space game outside of SC.

By rescoping CIG effectively went into blue ocean where there is no competition. Sure you can fly in other games with space ships but you can't go fps and attack base on foot, sure you can go fps in battlefield and even drive a car but the world there is small and don't provide any progression. There is no competition. IF you want combined arms and mmo and sandbox and story then there is only SC.

Obviously due to rescope game became forever project but at the end of the day if they will ever release 1.0 they will be raking in obscene amount of money, even more so than now.

Even the design aspect of it not being a fully sandbox and not fully a story is perfect blend for both types of players. One wants sanboxy gameplay he will find it in SC and one wants unique gameplay to which SC will have proposition with its hand crafted world, missions etc.

Myobi

Liturgist
It would be doable for sure. Thing is that we don't have clock and we can't see effects of that "doable".
What if SQ42 would became a dud in original form as Elite was ?

Elite was also "doable" and they did it in said time. Somehow it is not Elite that is raking in money but alpha of 12 year old in the making broken game.

I think this is strictly red vs blue ocean. In marketing red ocean is ocean in which other predators swim beside you, aka competition. IF SQ42 was released in original spec then it would swim in that red ocean as it would be just another space game and those don't sell much. As proven by pretty much every single space game outside of SC.

By rescoping CIG effectively went into blue ocean where there is no competition. Sure you can fly in other games with space ships but you can't go fps and attack base on foot, sure you can go fps in battlefield and even drive a car but the world there is small and don't provide any progression. There is no competition. IF you want combined arms and mmo and sandbox and story then there is only SC.

Obviously due to rescope game became forever project but at the end of the day if they will ever release 1.0 they will be raking in obscene amount of money, even more so than now.

Even the design aspect of it not being a fully sandbox and not fully a story is perfect blend for both types of players. One wants sanboxy gameplay he will find it in SC and one wants unique gameplay to which SC will have proposition with its hand crafted world, missions etc.

Money/Time doesn't necessarily translate into quality, Duke Nukem Forever or even Star Citizen itself are good examples of that, so you can still ask yourself that same question, what if SQ42 still becomes a dud just as Elite was?

@Myobi look look time for you to spend money.
Ah! ... wtf is invictus?

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
if they will ever release 1.0

They won't. That's the problem.

If you're being incredibly generous with your estimate, Star Citizen is still at least 5 years away from any kind of 1.0 release. Probably closer to 10, if you're being more realistic. The graphics are already starting to look very dated. 5-10 years from now, the gap is going to widen even further. I don't care too much about graphics as long as a game plays well and is fun to play, but there's one person who definitely will care: Chris Roberts. There is no way that Chris Roberts is, in 5-10 years, going to release what he considers to be his magnum opus, with dated graphics. That shit's going to get revamped and it's going to take several years. Then the next system is probably going to feel outdated (because not just graphics advance) and it's going to take several years to change that again. Wash, rinse and repeat and you've got a game that will never realistically come out.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
It's a scam. Chris Roberts has got what he wants. He just has to dodge the bullet from the investors RoI and pay them out and the project can just be strung out until no longer commercially viable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom