Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Riskbreaker

If want more of that sort of colourful, neon aesthetics but with a more old-fashioned level of challenge, I'd recon that Alienated might be worth checking out. Sunlust indeed becomes quite... special as you go on.

Anyway, Amnesia: Eldritch Cove
45E086EAB6C8CF8794E0A4EB591841D130E7BBD4

11359C2C2ACE223BD2E50FD2948F94DB90E92005

91E12B639DF146D1284EE15934BBA70B919B5DCB

2E5EF8CB064837F2291A3126EAEAD52CD045E1E4

880D896D8BA42723991EEDA1CA2FF5AA01E4DFC8

86A765EA9AEDA8888AC9401E0C77948EAC2C9C0D

9854C3915176C94CD2EBA5BF4D617407FDDAB157

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
One more megawad. I've had my eyes on Sunlust for a while now but was hesitant to play because it's supposedly difficult. I thought I'd check out the first episode on UV and see how it goes.

I like it. Interesting fights with just vanilla weapons and monsters. Strangely relaxing atmosphere despite the difficulty. And while it is quite challenging, there was nothing too crazy so far. The fights feel tightly balanced. Many traps look cruel at first glance, but somehow I manage to get out alive. But I know it's going to ramp up, because I've seen one of the later maps.[/spoiler]

Epic 1 and Epic 2 are great too. Especially on the atmosphere-front.

Also, did you try out the Community Chest map packs? Lots of great stuff there as well.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
What's the game about? does it have good combat design?

The game takes place in the 31st century, when large, animal-like machines roam the Earth, hunted by humans living in tribal communities. The world is set in the aftermath of an unknown cataclysmic event.

The story follows Aloy, a girl who grew up as an outcast with -- who I assume to be, though the story might say otherwise -- her guardian and tries to rejoin the nearby tribe to find out her past.

In terms of the combat, it's mainly a cat-and-mouse game with the large robotic animals in the wild. You can do stealth takedowns, kills with your spear or kills with your bow. There are also variations of bombs, bows and other slings to help lay traps. You harvest materials from the slain robots to trade for "shards" that'll get you better armor and weapons.

The game has a huge world and becomes open after the first couple of hours.

This is as far as I know from not reading any material and playing about three hours.

The PC game is a PS4 port, so take that what you will. It runs fine on my computer, but I won't be surprised if I encounter some kind of issue in the later game.

Should you buy it? It's up to you. I'd check out some LPs to get sense of the combat and see if the world and story appeals to you. I read many posts saying the story and character development are great, the lore is deep and the game rewards exploration.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
What's the game about?
this game is about climbing towers to unlock map, doing copypasted side activities, clearing bandit camps.
There are also robotic dinosaurs.
No, it is actually a little better: the towers are big moving mechanical beasts, combat is more varied, and, contrary to the latest ACs, the level scaling is absent (or less prominent), and you can skip the side activities. And the setting is pure post-apoc sci-fi, without any pretense.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I'm playing this too and having a lot of fun. I'm glad my machine is playing this without any hitches, unlike the many complaints of crashes and bugs.
I wasn't aware of the frequent techincal issues in the PC port. I am about 10 hours in and I have never experienced any crashes/stutters or other issues so far. However I see that patches are coming.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom