Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Ezekiel

Arcane
I got all the stars for the third (Edit: No, fourth.) time in my life last year, in the PC port. Don't remember Yoshi ever appearing in the ending before, so I must have always collected the rest of the stars after beating Bowser. Completing it again was as satisfying as ever. I hope more N64 ports will come soon.

Super-Mario-64-PC-Port-2020-10-25-10-41-27-AM.jpg

Super-Mario-64-PC-Port-2020-10-23-12-03-57-PM.jpg

Super-Mario-64-PC-Port-2020-10-25-8-59-11-AM.jpg

Super-Mario-64-PC-Port-2020-10-25-10-31-06-AM.jpg

Last edited:

The Red Knight

Erudite
PnhBd8T.png

https://shuffleup.itch.io/circadian-dice

A dice-rolling combat game where you take on the role of lukaszek, who, tasked with defeating the incarnation of RNG chaos, has to rely on his deterministic superpowers to fudge the unfair rolls to get the desired effects.

Not a card game (though with some randomization to dice upgrades and methods of acquiring new skills/spells), just a stylistic choice to represent enemies visually in such manner; it's you versus a number of waves of 1-5 enemies, and your attacks are from upgradeable dice sides you roll and the special skills/spells. Lots of synergies and chain attacks to build between dice, skills, and equipped artifacts, and various ways to fudge rolls or to gain additional benefits from rerolling the dice instead of accepting some disappointing result you got.

Your first run through the scenarios is to unlock classes, mechanics, artifacts, game modes, etc., after which you get around to planning how to tackle individual scenarios (enemies/waves are fixed except for the infinite wave mode) to get best scores (and unlock some more stuff needing those).

No plot stuff except for one unimportant cutscene, no fluff, just picking a set of fights to fight and then killing stuff
wCFBmyK.png

A typical start.

JskPjGU.png

M58Y44T.png

QnNDFuM.png

Endless mode cheese.

6uQSYp8.png

You gain experience through kills (and certain other sources), and with enough of it you level up, which most importantly gives you a skill and is needed to unlock two dice. The maximum level is 10, and it doesn't persist between scenario runs (dice upgrades you acquire in a scenario are also reset).

dhiK4M0.png

If you have a monster-capturing die side (consumed on use), or a capture/summon spell, you can put an enemy in one of your dice, which provides you with a special ability of theirs. The necromancer class is leaning towards keeping a number of allies at all times, with frequent sacrificing and replacing of them. Certain scenarios also have strategically-placed weak monsters early on that may provide you with an ability that counters some annoyances in later waves.

Qqq9E0e.png

In theory you could fill your dice with 5 red "skip this side" symbols on each to always receive the same result on rolling them. Having a variety of attacks with different effects and getting to them via rerolls if you need a specific one tends to be more useful, though. Colored backgrounds are negative effects applied by certain enemies.

iVkTPf8.png

Timebender is a fudgemaster class that can gain a silly amount of rerolls. The black circular arrow on some sides here means that if you roll such a side but decide to reroll, you will still use it for free.

mvHWlUn.png

You can equip up to 4 artifacts for each scenario (the exact amount depends on the selected scenario), with effects ranging from minor benefits to make the beginning of the run easier (such as adding some symbols to starting dice), to adding new mechanics that affect your strategy for the run (e.g. witch's knife will make you focus on collecting as many cursing sides as you can, as they become infectious and will keep spreading their stackable effect to other enemies, another item will give you a new skill whenever you use up all the charges on one, or you can mix an artifact that guarantees a chest drop on overkill with one that increases your attack power with each opened chest)

bq21zny.png

The endless mode difficulty can be quite unpredictable because of you having to select for yourself one of randomized penalties after a number of completed waves, and some of those can be very punishing.

ynhRlXD.png

Classes aren't prevented from eventually gaining dice sides or skills belonging to other classes, but the chance of acquiring them is lower (e.g. the barbarian will get sword and axe attacks in the shop more frequently than the others, and the cleric will mostly get white- and blue-gem skills) and the starting dice/skill setup is different for each class.

4yTTVsE.png

Not killing a wave before before the turn limit for it runs out doesn't mean immediate loss (the remaining enemies deal a round of special damage to you, and you progress to the next wave), but you will lose on the benefits you get after defeating each wave, and it will likely prevent you from getting 5 stars for the run. Some scenarios have very forgiving turn limits (but the quicker you are, the better score you get), some may challenge you to beat a group of enemies (or a hard-to-damage one) with very little time for that, so in those each move counts (and skills that deal direct damage are doubly-useful).

Aemar

Arcane
DCSS. Another melee build, this time a troll fighter of Zin. A more successful build than ther last one.

1.jpg

Was lucky enough to find a golden dragon armour on the last level of the Depths, one of the best standard amours in the game, so I enchanted it using every scroll available. Four dragons defended the portal to the Realm of Zot (fire, ice, shadow, golden). I had only two runes at this point.
2.jpg

The Slime Pits, the treasury room and the fight against the Royal Jelly, the jelly boss.

3.jpg

Can't access the goods, as the jelly boss is still alive.

4.jpg

One of the toughest fights. Every hit taken by the Royal Jelly spams additional tons of slimes, so I hit it hard and used a blink scroll to get near it as it was trying to get away. The death blow was delivered using a large rock.

5.jpg

Back to the treasury, time to get the third rune. The road to the final area (Realm of Zot) is open, but my character isn't prepared yet for the challenge.

6.jpg

Clearing the Rale the Hellbinder's lair, a demonologist who worships Makhleb.

7.jpg

The last level of Gehenna and its treasury rooms, right before the battle with the level boss.

8.jpg

Asmodeus hears some noise and comes out to see what's going on.

9.jpg

Killing Asmodeus was quite easy. Five runes up to this point.

10.jpg

Farming the Abyss area. Found the Abyss rune.

Last edited:

HansDampf

Arcane
I got all the stars for the third (Edit: No, fourth.) time in my life last year, in the PC port. Don't remember Yoshi ever appearing in the ending before, so I must have always collected the rest of the stars after beating Bowser. Completing it again was as satisfying as ever. I hope more N64 ports will come soon.

Super-Mario-64-PC-Port-2020-10-25-10-41-27-AM.jpg

Super-Mario-64-PC-Port-2020-10-23-12-03-57-PM.jpg

Super-Mario-64-PC-Port-2020-10-25-8-59-11-AM.jpg

Super-Mario-64-PC-Port-2020-10-25-10-31-06-AM.jpg
Is this mario.exe?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
DCSS. Another melee build, this time a troll fighter of Zin. A more successful build than ther last one.

1.jpg

Was lucky enough to find a golden dragon armour on the last level of the Depths, one of the best standard amours in the game, so I enchanted it using every scroll available. Four dragons defended the portal to the Realm of Zot (fire, ice, shadow, golden). I had only two runes at this point.
2.jpg

The Slime Pits, the treasury room and the fight against the Royal Jelly, the jelly boss.

3.jpg

Can't access the goods, as the jelly boss is still alive.

4.jpg

One of the toughest fights. Every hit taken by the Royal Jelly spams additional tons of slimes, so I hit it hard and used a blink scroll to get near it as it was trying to get away. The death blow was delivered using a large rock.

5.jpg

Back to the treasury, time to get the third rune. The road to the final area (Realm of Zot) is open, but my character isn't prepared yet for the challenge.

6.jpg

Clearing the Rale the Hellbinder's lair, a demonologist who worships Makhleb.

7.jpg

The last level of Gehenna and its treasury rooms, right before the battle with the level boss.

8.jpg

Asmodeus hears some noise and comes out to see what's going on.

9.jpg

Killing Asmodeus was quite easy. Five runes up to this point.

10.jpg

Farming the Abyss area. Found the Abyss rune.

A VERY good run! Remember to take as much rF as you can get into Zot and when possible rElec. Be VERY careful in Zot 5 and remember to T-T yell a lot before you enter the "lungs", it's better to bait out individual monsters than to aggro them through line of sight.
The run up to D1 should be fairly easy. If you can, get some throwing nets because most monsters that will spawn have low EV and thus can be easily trapped. Rest only on the up stairs if you have to.

e: And keep and Int potion handy, your base Int is dangerously low, any monsters that can drain it will turn you into a vegetable.

Aemar

Arcane
Been to Zot 5 before, and I remember that area being a pain in the arse once I got the orb and fled towards the stairs. Best strategy would probably be to use one of those teleporters and hope it would get me closer to the stairs. The rest is somewhat easy once I escape from Zot 5.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
After finishing and enjoying Rayman 1, I felt a strong urge to play the sequel. It is easier than in my memory, but 20 years of gaming must have helped. Still fun, the camera system sucks but in the end the controls are ok. The game design is excellent and each world has its own challenges, some of then better than other but I still got surprised with the variety of challenges.

I'm also thinking in getting into shmups.

Ezekiel

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom