Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

AlphaYellow

Educated
l9UE3TX.png

vF5kubA.png

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Completed the first Ashes Afterglow episode
AshesAfterglowrrSPve.png
AshesAfterglowIEeJbN.png
AshesAfterglowj3IB4C.png
AshesAfterglowtKLRRC.png
AshesAfterglow73MwVX.jpg
AshesAfterglow1qCeJc.png

AshesAfterglowjIYFp9.png

Screw you, i do what i want!
AshesAfterglowh7JyQs.png

I might have released a psycho AI or something
Don't care, got loot

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
A more complete answer: absolutely! Very nice-looking levels for a GZdoom game. And surprisingly doesn't look too brown for a game that belongs to a very brown post-apocalypse genre.
Gunplay feels good. A lot of cool secrets to find...
The only bad thing i can think of is that explosive weapons are surprisingly shit at clearing crowds. No idea why but they just don't work against groups.

Last edited:

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
Malibu Road is not merely a movie, it is an application of game design principles to the historical format of producing, directing, releasing, and watching a motion picture.

Specifically, since pre-production, the first principle of the project has been that: “the viewer / audience is the actual protagonist, rather than the fictional protagonist in the narrative.”

Whether it fully succeeds in this, I have no idea, but people who like it tend to watch it between 3-7 times in the first year, precisely because of this reflective game design paradigm.

Ryzer

Arcane
Swat4-27-06-2023-22-44-06.png

Swat4-27-06-2023-22-47-32.png

This mission is particularly difficult to neutralize everyone without killing. Going forward is suicide and result most of the time in instant failure, better yell orders at the crew to clean up rooms.

Any advise for this mission?

HansDampf

Arcane
I couldn't resist.

01m2ifb.png

The sequel.

0349f7k.png

04b8ivn.png

These shell jumps are getting out of hand.
:shredder:

028ciwg.png

Secret.

053zdpf.png

09uwfau.png

060eeau.png

075wfs1.png

Baby Bowser's castle lets you choose a path.

0880csm.png

Custom boss fight.

Still a good introduction to the Kaizo genre. Maybe I'll play another one.
------

But I've also tried some non-Kaizo SMW hacks. For example: Mario's Keytastrophe.

04tze5h.png

01hmf17.png

36 exits. Every level is a single-room puzzle, and your goal is to get the key to the keyhole. The correct solution is usually easy to execute.

02p4iuk.png

03mvftv.png

The big switches change Yoshi's color (and his abilities with the shell).

05tddnw.png

064iehi.png

Guide the Thwimp back to his family.

07nyi5q.png

08bveyg.png

:thumbsup:
------

And a big one: JUMP½

00i2ibd.png

This one surprised me! I haven't finished it, yet, because it's really long with 130 exits (I'm at 40).
It's more like classic SMW and starts out fairly tame and vanilla. But it ramps up quickly. The difficulty is higher than in the original SMW, and the level design is much more creative and isn't afraid to experiment. There are also a few puzzle levels thrown into the mix. You can collect the dragon coins in each level to unlock extra abilities (simple things like being allowed to spin-jump while holding an item). Big overworld with branching paths and secrets... Impressive work, so far.

01nxew1.png

rZK8zTN.gif

03yfda4.png

Sometimes you get a silly gimmick like this.

0401dir.png

What happens when you accidentally enter the women's bathroom?
You get punished and take damage, pervert!

02zqda9.png

I like this reference to a secret in the original game.

05p8f7j.png

Here is one of those puzzle levels. You have to get the coins with timed jumps on P-switches. Those have the side effect of causing a screen-shake which throws the coins up into the air. How do you even come up with something like this?

06v5cxw.png

:hmmm:

07uke57.png

08w5fz5.png

Will you risk stealing the dragon coin?

096xd7y.png

Now we know why the sun is so angry at Mario.

10q7frf.png

:what:

11rhd4e.png

1260d0n.png

13hvirr.png

A nod to Stickerbrush Symphony.

152zc4w.png

An entire level with nothing but shell puzzles.

14fnfsc.png

Optional shell/switch puzzle for a moon. Not sure if the moons do anything except giving you 3 extra lives. But every level has one, and the game remembers which ones you've found.

168uioc.png

Can't stop playing.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Ashes: Dead man walking
AshesAfterglowdqUwAC.png

AshesAfterglowfGVQSA.png

They took my bike and tried to take my life!
AshesAfterglowK9OiCO.png

AshesAfterglowbnGVcS.png

Definitely not an ambush, hmm..
AshesAfterglowcYLLhb.png

That's a new one
AshesAfterglowfgaRT8.png
AshesAfterglowcKeAwD.png

This^ wasn't enough to take all of those three out. As expected
AshesAfterglowOmkzYg.png

There was probably a better way to handle this encounter against new ripper guys without wasting as much resources as i did.
AshesAfterglowygLBLv.png

That's some nice looking "town" you got here

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom