Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
ScreenshotDoom202406.png
Hehe...
Modder humour.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Goddamn, I haven't played Clear Sky in, like, forever...
I do want to do a Call of Pripyat run.

ferratilis

Magister
Goddamn, I haven't played Clear Sky in, like, forever...
I do want to do a Call of Pripyat run.
I recommend giving it a try, because in the meantime Sky Reclamation Project has been updated several times, and there are some addons even. Very good for a vanilla+ run.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/srp

Or you can try ABR mod, which has very nice weapons, but destroys some of the charm imo. Clear Sky was one of the first DX10.1 games and has a unique atmosphere that mods couldn't replicate. Especially Anomaly, which turns everything into a brown looking mess.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
For all its faults, Clear Sky had a great and even terrifying atmosphere (though not as frightful as Shadow of Chernobyl).
It's just that it is way more linear and the faction system is quite a broken mess.

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
I've already given my take on this Doom total conversion, the second post showing how historically rooted I am in it. The game is wearing its inspirations on its sleeve and I don't think I need to say more on the matter than I already have.

qC8gfU8.png

Z7R1BpB.png

GLfy72j.png

5KppZYj.png

VnvRK9x.png

DO4QHj8.png

4k5VZ8V.png

0oxpAE3.png

Bzf4r7F.png

TGyWztz.png

CsBzYBC.png

FTVht9d.png

hDiywfz.png

Fg6kfhR.png

When I got to a second hub during the second episode I had to ask myself the question what I was doing with my time, why am I playing the amateur version of RAGE when I could revisit the real deal? RAGE also had two hubs, vehicles, trading with merchants, and even that favorite, crafting. So here is a follow up on my short retrospective on Duke Nukem Forever earlier in this thread, the other development hell game from a studio from the glory days of shooters.

Doom 3, whose early trailer was what made George Broussard redo DNF after he saw it, was in the end remembered not as a great game but more as a tech demo. The gameplay was slow and played much more like a crappier version of System Shock 2, which in turn already was the kiked garbage version of the superior first person space dungeon crawl that was System Shock. The sequel to System Shock was originally intended as an original game and only got the title slapped on later in development, you could have replaced the demons in Doom 3 with mutants and cyborgs and give it the tile of System Shock 3 and it'd check out.

RAGE isn't a game people talk about fondly and it had poor sales which cancelled out three of the planned DLCs, which it seems they were banking on due to the ending being an abrupt shitshow without any final boss or real narrative conclusion. It was also in development hell for long enough that despite being settled way before it, Borderlands came out as it was in production and must have done much to hurt the reception of the game. The semi-open world Mad Max vehicular post-apocalypse game had already been done when they got the game out the door after several major cuts.

All of the DLC for the game is cut content, from the pre-order DLC you can get yourself by adding a txt file to the game folder, originally intended as an upgrade for your gloves to give you more damage was Altman-ed (ZionMax published this after EA gave up on it) into something you either didn't get at all or pre-order players would get from the start, wrecking the balance.

There is too much to say about this game for it to fit into a screenshot thread, but there are couple of points I want to make. First of all is that the megatexture tech is still impressive under certain conditions, it does fuck the texture budget for up-close things in landscapes at times, but the varied textures on big landscape objects are great, it gives the game a very different feel from others.

The second point is that if Codexers weren't hypocrites they'd be all about this game, it's the ideal towards which modders like the ones that are making Ashes are striving towards. It's there, a big budget and more professional version of the exact thing that butters their toast.

The third and last point is that character models have achieved a gritty and stylized artistic look that you don't get anywhere else, while at the same time kikes hadn't beaten up the industry with the ugly stick yet, so you got old and worn people modeled and textured in good detail, as well as wasteland babes.

RAGE is not a great game, or even a very good game in 2024, but it is much better than what the chucklefucks of the industry would offer you in the current year. Here are the screenshots.

2rjtNiv.jpeg

kubDN01.jpeg

nQ5McL8.jpeg

qwzMign.jpeg

8gO2tXW.jpeg

c8tcmVF.jpeg

7mOkU3i.jpeg

Zt5rL6e.jpeg

N8PQqX4.jpeg

gc03J8K.jpeg

wflqQzq.jpeg

NDdD7rj.jpeg

kvjo6Vu.jpeg

dyiIhhC.jpeg

R8dt6sG.jpeg

hkVGN73.jpeg

57vdCWp.jpeg

7LnWZal.jpeg

SkLgOHz.jpeg

QaFyxDc.jpeg

vK4Lvcp.jpeg

JU4NbPP.jpeg

lAloL1G.jpeg

EE9cOvr.jpeg

LS6tv0W.jpeg

8eNBUlu.jpeg

868ka6o.jpeg

lBVohCd.jpeg

KwR8Dos.jpeg

9iUqJka.jpeg

djEeHnx.jpeg

sTM0Yn8.jpeg

vRw6eTq.jpeg

al0bKKn.jpeg

4mWFUCX.jpeg

FxXu9at.jpeg

Yv6TP2N.jpeg

RYE7QKc.jpeg

40YBdBv.jpeg

ivJktWg.jpeg

RRsEPFA.jpeg

XfeiZx1.jpeg

naK8Wx3.jpeg

vSDMS3g.jpeg

kVI3Lqs.jpeg

hFNa5v1.jpeg

OzkSwC2.jpeg

RuLLTLn.jpeg

6yUwJzW.jpeg

rptZXIF.jpeg

9GNfnWA.jpeg

fv3wByu.jpeg

demPKWu.jpeg

naNfCHO.jpeg

MoxDyEk.jpeg

TOQBrUl.jpeg

iLsRJQJ.jpeg

AsjjJn7.jpeg

NQllyj9.jpeg

xbyEOmx.jpeg

egcXefv.jpeg

rXJX2iV.jpeg

miw7YXy.jpeg

CYegAu1.jpeg

oH7YJtR.jpeg

EsRfe8M.jpeg

z44fcxX.jpeg

FsXWoa9.jpeg

AsULd3W.jpeg

1Z53J3n.jpeg

uLzlXYY.jpeg

8hrMESc.jpeg

tyPr0kg.jpeg

pEPsExj.jpeg

As many issues as I have with RAGE, which are the exact same ones I have with Ashes, other than some repeating locations ala Dragon Age 2 and the cut final boss and area, in retrospect it still feels unfair that it was met with the reception it did. The tech might be jank and you'll be digging into the cfg on PC, and even then I was never happy but I didn't want to go so far as to fuck with drivers and the like, but underneath the rushed release under ZionMax direction and the tehc issues the game is much better than what it went up against. Borderlands got several sequels and and endless DLC, it was prime Randy Pitchford reddit-esque woke garbage with Diablo like loot. Over time the interest for Boredlands has dried up, but it was a financial success. Some Codexers are so deluded that they think that New Fagass is not just an RPG but also a good game, when it's the dogshit Fallout 3 but with more gays.

Fallout 3 was a big success for Bethesda and was released way ahead of RAGE and even if the intent was to revive the Fallout series from its death at the hands of Interplay it RAGE does a much better job staying true to the source material that Fallout and Fallout 3 by lineage took from. There's racing, at the start ammo is scarce, especially at the higher difficulties, there's that Mad Max quirk without going too far into reddit territory. Unlike both Fallout 3/NV and Borderlands the shooting is actually excellent, with damage animations that change how characters move, and they have impressive animations overall.

The game gives you a smorgosboard of ways of dealing with enemies, you can send in bombs with radio cars, you can electrify water, you can shoot enemies with mind control darts that let you manipulate them until the nanobots inside their bloodstreams go unstable and they explode in a cloud of blood mist. It's just a shame it is all wasted on something so muddled. In the end people remember Doom 3 as a tech demo while RAGE is the failed tech demo, a branch of graphics tech that never took off. But it's a solid game and again, compared to other games of the same stripe it is probably the best of them, barring perhaps the Metro games, which kept the focus tighter and were better for it.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I've already given my take on this Doom total conversion, the second post showing how historically rooted I am in it. The game is wearing its inspirations on its sleeve and I don't think I need to say more on the matter than I already have.

qC8gfU8.png

Z7R1BpB.png

GLfy72j.png

5KppZYj.png

VnvRK9x.png

DO4QHj8.png

4k5VZ8V.png

0oxpAE3.png

Bzf4r7F.png

TGyWztz.png

CsBzYBC.png

FTVht9d.png

hDiywfz.png

Fg6kfhR.png

When I got to a second hub during the second episode I had to ask myself the question what I was doing with my time, why am I playing the amateur version of RAGE when I could revisit the real deal? RAGE also had two hubs, vehicles, trading with merchants, and even that favorite, crafting. So here is a follow up on my short retrospective on Duke Nukem Forever earlier in this thread, the other development hell game from a studio from the glory days of shooters.

Doom 3, whose early trailer was what made George Broussard redo DNF after he saw it, was in the end remembered not as a great game but more as a tech demo. The gameplay was slow and played much more like a crappier version of System Shock 2, which in turn already was the kiked garbage version of the superior first person space dungeon crawl that was System Shock. The sequel to System Shock was originally intended as an original game and only got the title slapped on later in development, you could have replaced the demons in Doom 3 with mutants and cyborgs and give it the tile of System Shock 3 and it'd check out.

RAGE isn't a game people talk about fondly and it had poor sales which cancelled out three of the planned DLCs, which it seems they were banking on due to the ending being an abrupt shitshow without any final boss or real narrative conclusion. It was also in development hell for long enough that despite being settled way before it, Borderlands came out as it was in production and must have done much to hurt the reception of the game. The semi-open world Mad Max vehicular post-apocalypse game had already been done when they got the game out the door after several major cuts.

All of the DLC for the game is cut content, from the pre-order DLC you can get yourself by adding a txt file to the game folder, originally intended as an upgrade for your gloves to give you more damage was Altman-ed (ZionMax published this after EA gave up on it) into something you either didn't get at all or pre-order players would get from the start, wrecking the balance.

There is too much to say about this game for it to fit into a screenshot thread, but there are couple of points I want to make. First of all is that the megatexture tech is still impressive under certain conditions, it does fuck the texture budget for up-close things in landscapes at times, but the varied textures on big landscape objects are great, it gives the game a very different feel from others.

The second point is that if Codexers weren't hypocrites they'd be all about this game, it's the ideal towards which modders like the ones that are making Ashes are striving towards. It's there, a big budget and more professional version of the exact thing that butters their toast.

The third and last point is that character models have achieved a gritty and stylized artistic look that you don't get anywhere else, while at the same time kikes hadn't beaten up the industry with the ugly stick yet, so you got old and worn people modeled and textured in good detail, as well as wasteland babes.

RAGE is not a great game, or even a very good game in 2024, but it is much better than what the chucklefucks of the industry would offer you in the current year. Here are the screenshots.

2rjtNiv.jpeg

kubDN01.jpeg

nQ5McL8.jpeg

qwzMign.jpeg

8gO2tXW.jpeg

c8tcmVF.jpeg

7mOkU3i.jpeg

Zt5rL6e.jpeg

N8PQqX4.jpeg

gc03J8K.jpeg

wflqQzq.jpeg

NDdD7rj.jpeg

kvjo6Vu.jpeg

dyiIhhC.jpeg

R8dt6sG.jpeg

hkVGN73.jpeg

57vdCWp.jpeg

7LnWZal.jpeg

SkLgOHz.jpeg

QaFyxDc.jpeg

vK4Lvcp.jpeg

JU4NbPP.jpeg

lAloL1G.jpeg

EE9cOvr.jpeg

LS6tv0W.jpeg

8eNBUlu.jpeg

868ka6o.jpeg

lBVohCd.jpeg

KwR8Dos.jpeg

9iUqJka.jpeg

djEeHnx.jpeg

sTM0Yn8.jpeg

vRw6eTq.jpeg

al0bKKn.jpeg

4mWFUCX.jpeg

FxXu9at.jpeg

Yv6TP2N.jpeg

RYE7QKc.jpeg

40YBdBv.jpeg

ivJktWg.jpeg

RRsEPFA.jpeg

XfeiZx1.jpeg

naK8Wx3.jpeg

vSDMS3g.jpeg

kVI3Lqs.jpeg

hFNa5v1.jpeg

OzkSwC2.jpeg

RuLLTLn.jpeg

6yUwJzW.jpeg

rptZXIF.jpeg

9GNfnWA.jpeg

fv3wByu.jpeg

demPKWu.jpeg

naNfCHO.jpeg

MoxDyEk.jpeg

TOQBrUl.jpeg

iLsRJQJ.jpeg

AsjjJn7.jpeg

NQllyj9.jpeg

xbyEOmx.jpeg

egcXefv.jpeg

rXJX2iV.jpeg

miw7YXy.jpeg

CYegAu1.jpeg

oH7YJtR.jpeg

EsRfe8M.jpeg

z44fcxX.jpeg

FsXWoa9.jpeg

AsULd3W.jpeg

1Z53J3n.jpeg

uLzlXYY.jpeg

8hrMESc.jpeg

tyPr0kg.jpeg

pEPsExj.jpeg

As many issues as I have with RAGE, which are the exact same ones I have with Ashes, other than some repeating locations ala Dragon Age 2 and the cut final boss and area, in retrospect it still feels unfair that it was met with the reception it did. The tech might be jank and you'll be digging into the cfg on PC, and even then I was never happy but I didn't want to go so far as to fuck with drivers and the like, but underneath the rushed release under ZionMax direction and the tehc issues the game is much better than what it went up against. Borderlands got several sequels and and endless DLC, it was prime Randy Pitchford reddit-esque woke garbage with Diablo like loot. Over time the interest for Boredlands has dried up, but it was a financial success. Some Codexers are so deluded that they think that New Fagass is not just an RPG but also a good game, when it's the dogshit Fallout 3 but with more gays.

Fallout 3 was a big success for Bethesda and was released way ahead of RAGE and even if the intent was to revive the Fallout series from its death at the hands of Interplay it RAGE does a much better job staying true to the source material that Fallout and Fallout 3 by lineage took from. There's racing, at the start ammo is scarce, especially at the higher difficulties, there's that Mad Max quirk without going too far into reddit territory. Unlike both Fallout 3/NV and Borderlands the shooting is actually excellent, with damage animations that change how characters move, and they have impressive animations overall.

The game gives you a smorgosboard of ways of dealing with enemies, you can send in bombs with radio cars, you can electrify water, you can shoot enemies with mind control darts that let you manipulate them until the nanobots inside their bloodstreams go unstable and they explode in a cloud of blood mist. It's just a shame it is all wasted on something so muddled. In the end people remember Doom 3 as a tech demo while RAGE is the failed tech demo, a branch of graphics tech that never took off. But it's a solid game and again, compared to other games of the same stripe it is probably the best of them, barring perhaps the Metro games, which kept the focus tighter and were better for it.
Irony is that Doom 3 is still better than many of the shooters now on the market, including the indie shit...
Ashes is no exception.
What's so exceptional about it?
Doesn't seem all that fancy to me.

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
behold how negrolord suddenly starts hating ashes because (1) it turns out it's popular and (2) another dumbass serb posted a terribly correct wall of text about it
Serb supremacy proven again, Serbs make games like Underrail while you NATO gay polecucks make Cyberpunk nigger worship AAA goyslop. Hate is a strong word for a mediocre mod for Doom that is playable but very overrated though.

Anyway, the new indie autogynophilia simulator FPS just dropped. I'm about an hour or two into it and it's pretty sad, because the devs clearly wanted to make an arena shooter like UT99 or Quake 3, but since that's not feasible anymore with a saturated market and these games depending on other players, they decided to go for a haunted server of a dead game theme that is popular with indies these days. Basically you play arena shooter maps and get a narrative attached to it, as well as a fake browser that you pick up links to when you return to played levels, now empty of bots and other players. It's actually just singleplayer, and a game about arena shooters, as well as some very TL;DR exposition that I didn't get around to reading yet about military programs.

It's a bit like playing UT99 all by yourself with bots but the developer is telling you about the deep lore behind why you are doing it, and you get to go on secret hunting between matches.

MyS7fIT.png

qnUNhip.png

LzSWsv8.png

HmP6Ise.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom