Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Psquit

Arcane
In black and white 2 your creature can look like this.
buff_squirrel_157dbb004ac0c987959d_1.jpg

Thats the only good thing about B&W 2.

Dexter

Arcane
B&W2 was so much better than the shit pile of a game that is Godus...
I've played only B&W 1 and skipped 2 since I heard it's worse.

How would you compare those two? Is B&W2 better than 1?
B&W 1 is more of a god game where you also train your creature and accomplish a bunch of tasks, B&W 2 is more of a strategy game where you use your creature and folk an awful lot to go to war all the time.

Divinity: Original Sin
Random oldshit bullshit. :oops:

1) Tomb Raider 1 is best played on PSX emulator, fuck the DOS version.

a) to run the PC version with best graphics, you'll need special build of DosBox (Daum's or Gulikoza's) + VooDoo Rush patch + Nglide. The game will look like this:

YgOngIH.jpg

Of course, you can always go software, but... :roll:
PC version uses less audio tracks than PSX version, you can fix that with a special patch, but what's the point, when:

b) to run PSX version, you'll need any PSX emu, epsxe will do. You can enhance your display with any hardware plugin, for example Pete's OpenGl plugin:

s2UflRL.jpg

The game looks more or less the same as DOS version + Glide and shares it's graphical problems (weird texture "movement" and popping, probably due to filtering being forced and not implemented from the beginning during development).

2) Tomb Raider 2 and 3 PC don't work on newer Geforce drivers (at least on WinXP 32 bit). You have to downgrade to 285.58 drivers. More info here and here, but I tested these drivers and they indeed work (vanilla exe files):

P2abJUV.jpg

FVzAXlA.jpg

C8TkAmi.jpg

GtmUIAT.jpg

Switching to newer drivers (tested 301.42 and 332.21) breaks both games, using Multi Patch no longer helps. GoG version is affected as well, hence some people think that Multi Patch was removed from GoG version. It wasn't, Nvidia's drivers are to blame this time.
When using Hardware mode, you'll encounter heavy flickering, geometry problems and missing textures (both games processed with Multi Patch):

Za83QgS.jpg

cAFnwG5.jpg

ElN2cYI.jpg

Tomb2 works in software mode, but without filtering:

C2oKNf0.jpg

Tomb3 works in software mode with filtering (MMX):

7iX2zED.jpg

JudasIscariot

:rpgcodex:

3) Warcraft 3 still doesn't support proper Widescreen, due to Blizzard not giving a fuck:

a) 1280x960

r2ThS8p.jpg

IT1yUUY.jpg

:thumbsup:

b) 1680x1050

a6Vl6DT.jpg

uul5sgH.jpg

:keepmyjewgold:

@BobbyKotick

:rpgcodex:

The dos version of tomb raider 1 in your screenshot is in a lower resolution... It looked prettier in my PC.

This reminds me of this:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/01/30/tomb-raider-screenshots-running-the-classic-at-2400x1800-on-lpc/

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Only 2 days and with a shitty 17 STR; that's quite impressive.

I could have finished it even faster but I slept through the lowest levels in order to regenerate health, since I couldn't carry my potions with my shit stats, and casting Heal used too much mana. Still, pretty happy about this run.
I started Ultima Underworld 2 with a 28 STR Druid and holy balls I didn't remember the beginning being this harsh.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I started Ultima Underworld 2 with a 28 STR Druid and holy balls I didn't remember the beginning being this harsh.

Yeah, you have to pick your battles more in UU2 and heed the warning signs that you are getting close to a monster lair.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Because I will give it another try later, when I'm done with shitty shooting and cool soundtrack of Blood 2 (again).

Deleted member 7219

Please, stop with the stretched screenshots. I bet you're the kind of person who watches 4:3 TV shows and films on widescreen TV without even doing anything to change it.

Most monitors these days allow you to change the aspect ratio, you can even do it in your graphic card settings.

Nvidia:

1. Open Nvidia Control Panel
2. Go to 'Adjust Desktop Size and Position'
3. Click 'No Scaling'
4. Play NOLF and enjoy it looking correct and normal, and the way it was meant to be played
5. If the image is still stretched, go back to the Nvidia settings and change Perform Scaling On to GPU and check 'Override the scaling mode set by games and programs'.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Please, stop with the stretched screenshots. I bet you're the kind of person who watches 4:3 TV shows and films on widescreen TV without even doing anything to change it.

Most monitors these days allow you to change the aspect ratio, you can even do it in your graphic card settings.

Nvidia:

3. Click 'No Scaling'
4. Play NOLF and enjoy it looking correct and normal, and the way it was meant to be played
5. If the image is still stretched, go back to the Nvidia settings and change Perform Scaling On to GPU and check 'Override the scaling mode set by games and programs'.
I don't own any crap from Nvidia, and I don't plan to touch it again.
Though I guess I should re-check the FOV settings and stuff.

Deleted member 7219

Nvidia:

3. Click 'No Scaling'

I was with Nvidia for a long time, went with ATI because it was cheaper, and had awful problems. Everything's been great since going back to Nvidia.

I'm sure ATI have a similar thing in their driver software, though.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
zwanzig_zwoelf FOV controls how large your cone of vision is both horizontally and vertically, meaning increasing or decreasing it will still lead to a fat looking image. The problem with NOLF (presumably, because I haven't played it) is that it was made back in a year when people didn't use 16:9 monitors, so it was only programmed to render 4:3 and 5:4 images. If you were to put those screenshots in GIMP or Photoshop or whatever and resize them to a 4:3 resolution like 1440x1080, they would look more natural than they do now. When faced with a widescreen resolution, NOLF still thinks up a 4:3 render and stretches it horizontally to fit the whole screen. That's what Matt7895 is complaining about, not a narrow FOV.

AMD's drivers are garbage and probably won't be able to do what he suggested you would do if you had an nVidia card (Catalyst just freezes when I try to enable GPU scaling :1/5: ). However, if you choose a 4:3 or 5:4 resolution in the game's settings and set your monitor's aspect control to lock horizontal and vertical stretching (if it isn't that way already), you should get an image that displays the game properly with black bars on either side of it. You can see the difference especially if you look directly down or up and spin in a circle, making note of how the textures change shape as they rotate.

zwanzig_zwoelf

zwanzig_zwoelf FOV controls how large your cone of vision is both horizontally and vertically, meaning increasing or decreasing it will still lead to a fat looking image. The problem with NOLF (presumably, because I haven't played it) is that it was made back in a year when people didn't use 16:9 monitors, so it was only programmed to render 4:3 and 5:4 images. If you were to put those screenshots in GIMP or Photoshop or whatever and resize them to a 4:3 resolution like 1440x1080, they would look more natural than they do now. When faced with a widescreen resolution, NOLF still thinks up a 4:3 render and stretches it horizontally to fit the whole screen. That's what Matt7895 is complaining about, not a narrow FOV.

AMD's drivers are garbage and probably won't be able to do what he suggested you would do if you had an nVidia card (Catalyst just freezes when I try to enable GPU scaling :1/5: ). However, if you choose a 4:3 or 5:4 resolution in the game's settings and set your monitor's aspect control to lock horizontal and vertical stretching (if it isn't that way already), you should get an image that displays the game properly with black bars on either side of it. You can see the difference especially if you look directly down or up and spin in a circle, making note of how the textures change shape as they rotate.
Oh well, my bad.
Thanks again, bro.

Wasteland 2

To change scalling options on AMD you have to switch your desktop to non native resolution first... change scalling method in CCC, then change resolution back to native.
People responsible for Catalyst Control Panel are retarded just like that. Native resolution doesn't use scalling, so they made scalling options selection inactive when running it :roll:

My overclocked HD5850 still has performance equal to modern mainstream GPUs, yet it is only in legacy support section of the drivers.
So fix for frequent CTDs and occasional BSODs with Windows Update KB2670838 is not going to happen and thus it slowly becomes obsolete, since some new games require it.
Many users enjoy their broken systems and don't have enough google foo, to find out they have to uninstall the update to make it stable again. It was crashing on me for months and I found out by accident.
AMD/ATI worked pretty hard for their reputation and your blind fanboying is retarded. I had both two times, nvidia always worked flawlessly.

Last edited:

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
To change scalling options on AMD you have to switch your desktop to non native resolution first... change scalling method in CCC, then change resolution back to native.
People responsible for Catalyst Control Panel are retarded just like that. Native resolution doesn't use callling, so they made scalling options selection inactive when running it :roll:
Ahah!!! That's brilliant!!

zwanzig_zwoelf

People responsible for Catalyst Control Panel are retarded just like that. Native resolution doesn't use scalling, so they made scalling options selection inactive when running it :roll:

My overclocked HD5850 still has performance equal to modern mainstream GPUs, yet it is only in legacy support section of the drivers.
So fix for frequent CTDs with Windows Update KB2670838 is not going to happen and thus it slowly becomes obsolete, since some new games require it.
Many users enjoy their broken systems and don't have enough google foo, to find out they have to uninstall the update to make it stable again. It was crashing on me for months and I found out by accident.
AMD/ATI worked pretty hard for their reputation and your blind fanboying is retarded. I had both two times, nvidia always worked flawlessly.
I just recalled that I can fix the problem using my monitor settings and resolution with 4:3 aspect ratio.
So, thanks again, but I don't need to deal with drivers and crap.

Wasteland 2
I just recalled that I can fix the problem using my monitor settings and resolution with 4:3 aspect ratio.
So, thanks again, but I don't need to deal with drivers and crap.

If you want to make screenshots that are not stretched you'll have to either disable scalling, or swith it to keep aspect ratio.
If your monitor has scalling options in OCD, than just disabling it in drivers is recommended.
It's not a big deal, just figuring out for the first time why scalling options are greyed out, was not fun.

If you have ingame selected widescreen resolution, than either change it to 4:3 or google widescreen fix for the game.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You could also get this hack that enables widescreen without stretching. It's vert- though, so it's not great.

Wasteland 2
To make CCC instructions complete, it's in My Digital Flat Panels -> Properties, My Digital Flat Panels -> Scaling Options is about HDTV output, ignore it.

If a game has FOV adjustment, or FOV entry in some config file, you can couple vert- hack with increasing FOV by 25% for almost perfect widescreen fix, if vert- hack doesn't screw ( cut ) hud.

EDIT:
Lol, old drivers used to keep scaling selection, after returning to native resolution... I've just tried it and scaling reset to a default fit to screen, after returning to native resolution.
If I had some shitty monitor without scaling options and wanted to use it, I would had to switch desktop to non native res and change it each time, glorious CCC.

Last edited:

Malpercio

Arcane
sIvsuzw.jpg

vq4MFLd.jpg

NHJPhaf.jpg

So I was like... looking for something different to play... and I found this DVD with Anniversary that I got with some magazine a bazilion of years ago... and then I found myself killing dinosaurs, jumping on phallic objects and finding new way to kill Laura....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom