Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Borelli

Arcane
spekkio said:
1F08ZYm.jpg
news_devil_may_cry_meet_dante_13610.jpg

Riskbreaker

UT, Project Xenome: First Day
7B9F913FCFFA597938BB2D7C6F2377651B82578D

2AB14146289E13FF7BF9AB1EBA101B236AED3786

8950FD280095E89BBCE3DBC2028CEA59C519FE62

45F4B0569311853484448CE0777987783628AE12

17D2437C04CDF5F6AE4515C67913E4C4C94A38FB

F25680CAA570B48F7C0348FDBE4811FD4D8463AD

BAE5D65C121F30D28A9B8FD68B892B5DE8655B9F

E97D4E0D9D76872867CB292E49123A7A03295E61

938C59A183798DF0140B3735DBE4D10D3240F6EE
Somewhat unusual shit for Unreal campaign. Majority of action is set within this spooky, rusty, badly lit industrial/scientific underground complex of spookiness. Feels very HL-ish actually, with loads of HL textures and similar style of environmental puzzles. That opening map could have been right at home in some fan-made HL campaign. Also, suprisingly hard at times.

T2, Bathory campaign
4172483DC73D9D97B91EA9BCC4D4886BC469ED9D

12CE66CE155D7DE0235E0DAB89EA2F0C760F7E24

8D7911FECB226394BFD34645E801B7D5371B89CE

1BAAE5564AD9DC68419D061DA1E4D5B5B0FBDD1A

E608DF9389C117A6C6170634B3C9041ED71BE4D1

76ADCD1B762188E6D519313A5D721D81371280B6

357254F6DC36CE88FD412F92119B01515E1EE9D3

B26F54F22D37C938144FAC4EA9949B463FA7BAB4

638F3D110C4ED0D9CDB0DD4A0CCD7D09703D8B92

B8CEE81F94DB7FEC3449D808B3DF824C98D56BEB

5C7A97D7A35CE4842A020D314DD9738D2E19BC88

994A1BF4E4C3CF5D1CD022E8CB659BEBB9E887F3

spekkio

Arcane
Resident Evil Revelations 2

Post asses
AkgUfDu.jpg

:troll:

gEM9pwz.jpg

Moody hiking-by-night with Barry-senpai.

ueAVZPK.jpg

Senpai noticed me!

daEseRz.jpg

What a nice forest. Wait! What's that?

yougonget.jpg

Meanwhile, in the parallel scenario...

KK4RjQd.jpg

Yeah - you can drop anything anywhere and pick it up later.

etT4kwK.jpg

Our drill instructor. Thank god he's on our side... ;)

NoMyYEF.jpg

Lively vatnik city.

:russia:

DeepOcean

Arcane
you are a faggot and should feel bad

He's right though. It pretty much fizzles out at a certain point.

I had fun with Republic Commando, but it's the essential console shooter. Small maps, no vertical elements, regenerating shield mechanics with invincible team mates that could resurrect you, quite boring weapons, sections designed to be more "cinematic" than fun.... it had everything. Halo 1 is more of a PC shooter than Republic Commando is.

Visual presentation (despite crappy console-limited resources) and sound were quite good, however. Soundtrack is very, very nice. It's a fun game for a evening or two, with pretty much no replay value and quite short, even.

Nothing wrong to like it, but it's clearly a post-Halo console shooter with all the limits that it entails. Compare it with the 2003 Jedi Academy (by itself nothing particularly mind blowing for the age) and the poor Republican clones, from a gameplay point of view, don't stand a chance.
While I agree with what you say, Republic commando was sort of a different FPS from Jedi Academy. Yeah, it was linear and you moved slowly as any console shooter, while the gameplay is sort of similar to Halo, the game offered things that I really miss, you had a squad and you had some primitive controls on this squad, some enemies required some sort of primitive planning to take down like the heavier drones, the game's hud was on the helmet and sometimes the helmet cracked or got dirty and I liked the concept of you being on a squad of clone commandos on enemy territory (it didn't feel clautrophobic like many linear games because the linearity made sense with the concept as you were a commando and wouldn't make sense to waste too much time on enemy territory exploring.). It gets bonus points for being a star wars FPS with no bullshit light sabers and force powers.

Dayyālu

Arcane
While I agree with what you say, Republic commando was sort of a different FPS from Jedi Academy.

Republic Commando in my humble opinion is fondly remembered mostly for presentation. It was a Jedi-less Star Wars game, a somewhat refreshing thing, considering how the Prequel Trilogy and Star Wars at large is obsessed by LIGHTSABERS LIGHTSABERS LIGHTSABERS. Being a grunt is always fun.

Graphical and sound design where quite good, and writing, despite being standard FPS stuff, had some funny pieces or interesting ideas (for example, your character keeps talking even when he's alone in the Republican Cruiser: a way both to give the player info and to make the point that he's not used to be alone, and he keeps talking to his missing "brothers" because he needs to).

Tactical squad command did his job well, but it was, as you said, "primitive": even if we compare that with the old Terra Nova the system is brought down by the shitty and cramped maps. You are playing as the developers want you to play, pure railroading.

Jedi Academy had a variety of maps and enemies, and several missions had gimmicks to keep it fresh (sand worms, acid rain, flying enemies in big enviroments, vehicles, boss fights...). And compared to Dark Forces II, Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast are even less inventive and varied. They are different beasts, of course, but I have to say that JA is at least three times longer and it still has more stuff in it, despite its presentation being more of the usual Jedi-centered boring drivel.

And as a stinger: the helmet and the like are cool details, but remember, is that thing - "style" over substance- that brought us "PRESS F TO PAY RESPECTS". RC is a guilty pleasure. Well, compared to other squad-based console shooters like Clive Barker's Jericho RC is a triumph. At least it's fun!

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The thing that makes RC a large cut above almost all other popamole shootaz in my view is that it's much more than just 'press f to pay respects'. It's not all that much style over substance - sure, the levels are rather tight, it's linear to boot, etc, but the gameplay itself is still gripping and satisfying.

It has many setpieces that are just tremendously well-done. All those last stands, assaults, races against time when planting explosives, etc, are not only very cool in terms of presentation, but they are also fucking hard and not only do they require you to position the other commandos optimally in special spots, but you also have to use your guns properly. If you can't hit shit with the sniper rifle while you are being swarmed by the geonosian elites, you're boned. I always get all tingly each time I remember the derelict ship hangar defences and assaults, reclaiming the ammo crates section on Kashyyyk, the final showdown on Geonosis where you have to reclaim data from a minute-long terminal slice while super battle droids storm you from two sides. It's fun, it's gripping and it's tough, and you often find yourself boned the moment you get incapacitated, because your other bros are kind of shit at doing stuff themselves. But similarly, if one of the dudes mounting an anti-armour position drops, you're also in big trubble.

I also disagree that around the midgame it gets boring. The only thing that is introduced on Kashyyyk are the cyborg bodyguards, yeah, but the entire chapter is p. much the apex of the entire game. You face the most overwhelming odds there, it's the toughest in terms of setpieces, you have to act quickly, and you have to act smart.

And finally, to come back yet again to 'press f to pay respects', what RC does considerably better than all other shooters like this, is that it gives you the best illusion of actually being in control. It never tells you to get around a locked door. There's never a chest-high wall blocking your way. You never have to encircle an MG42. It's always "let's rearrange some architecture, commandos", "set up sniping position, delta" and "mount that turret!". That is also further supplemented by most of the setpieces having destructible terrain that you can use to crush droid dispensers, unlock new manoeuvres, etc, and some of them aren't even that obvious.

Republic Commando is very dear to me for two reasons. One is that I think it really nails down the 'commando' aspect of getting in more or less quietly, blowing everything to hell and exfiling before they know what hit them. In this regard, it's similar in style to the Crusader series, and I've always been reminded of it when playing RC. Second is that I've always, always wanted to play an SW game where you get to play a stormtrooper. The closest I could ever get in that regard was TIE Fighter, and obviously that's not very close to home, isn't it. Republic Commando kind of does that. Of course, Imperial Commando would be my wet dream, but LUCASAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARTS :negative:

Dayyālu

Arcane
Oh yeah? Does it have telepatic lesbians?

Republic Commando has not caused me a brain cancer. Jericho did, mainly for retarded squad AI and the sheer rage in seeing what could have been a good game ruined by retarded design. Plus, ending. That fuckin' ending.

It has many setpieces that are just tremendously well-done.

Correct. If all the game was built like the Hangar defences, it would have been excellent. Those are magnificent setpieces, where you can even glimpse a bit of variety and choices (rush by yourself the droid dispenser, use the enviroment, set up traps, order your men around, relax in the end with the giant walker cannon). A pity the rest of the game is rarely like that. And RC is not "difficult". I've played it on hard and it's very, very rare to be incapacitated or defeated, even in the big end battles. On Geonosis and on the Cruiser I've sucessfully completed them on the first attempt, and I'm not a FPS master. Yes, sure, it lacks regenerating health, but Bacta Dispenser are a bit too frequent. Compare again with Jedi Academy, the Rosh boss fight. That one is hard and requires conserving your resources and hitting the right target at the right moment.

I also disagree that around the midgame it gets boring.

It's not "boring". Simply they fail to introduce new elements, and the game is already quite short. You barely have the time to get used to it, and it's over. Again, lack of length is a common problem of console shooters.

And finally, to come back yet again to 'press f to pay respects', what RC does considerably better than all other shooters like this, is that it gives you the best illusion of actually being in control.

Yet, it's all an "illusion". You can't even jump, and the "easy" solution is often one and one only. Place that soldier there, cover that cannon, and watch as the game plays by itself while you help a bit. Too often setpieces fall into that trap, if you are fast and skilled enough (and it's not difficult, as the game was built for inferior console players). I agree that it's better than what came afterwards, but that design, sadly, brought us retarded stuff like Battlefield's rat fight.

Second is that I've always, always wanted to play an SW game where you get to play a stormtrooper. The closest I could ever get in that regard was TIE Fighter, and obviously that's not very close to home, isn't it. Republic Commando kind of does that.

Well, there is Battlefront 2's single player campaign :negative:. No pity for the Imperials.

Enough. We're stealing space from Balmorar to post his dumb screenshots. Can he at least spoiler that crap?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You can't even jump

But you can, just press space :M

Of course, the fact that you are never actually FORCED to jump is another thing altogether :troll:

Compare again with Jedi Academy, the Rosh boss fight. That one is hard and requires conserving your resources and hitting the right target at the right moment.

Eh, not really. All you need to do in that fight is to equip the blaster rifle and kill the 2 reborn mages instantly because they can't do anything against blaster fire. And then you just hack Rosh to bits.

Blonsky

Prophet
Dark Void
2bnlS36.jpg

So our plane crashed in the bermuda triangle.
PCUPL8y.jpg

And the place isnt that bad but its filled with goddamn aliens.
S4TPwTl.jpg

The best way to get rid of them is to punch them in the face.
TRzNKWe.jpg

The maps beffor the jet-pack are narrow coridors with occasionally secret spots and more often places where an invisible wall was supposed to be but its missing.
lZqELPe.jpg

Finnaly got a traine jet-pack and also annoying vertical figthing/moving missions.
57luNXc.jpg

Flying sucks with mouse+key, took me awhile to adjust the sensitivity so i dont hit mountains at random but gunning enemies in air is imposible except ...
pefjS9J.jpg

Get close to enemy flying ship, press button to jump on it and press more buttons to destroy it, fuck QTE.
NhBnmWA.jpg

Another big alien was not a match to my quick button pushing. This game went so bad so fast.
ZzZpspM.jpg

balmorar

Arcane
Queued Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy Edgy
Super Mario 3D World

HrFsthr.jpg

iMNXiZw.jpg

sSV8lo1.jpg

p33LloN.jpg

n344q7M.jpg

FTCd4KQ.jpg

lx8PmRB.jpg

HZ6T8mh.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom