Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
8OM2GCr.png

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Who came up with such a retarded idea?
Isn't it to let Asians decipher their complex moon runes at the pace they're comfortable with and it being unchanged in localizations is because Japanese devs don't care about foreign markets?

I picked up a Japanese book once, and the letters all appeared on the page at the exact moment I flipped it.

Subtitles in movies probably work that way, too.

It's only in games that this slow typing out happens.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
20190924235630_13nkvr.jpg

Rip in peace my poor confused senile Obersturmführer. You served the party well, but your drooling and inattentiveness and general ex-boxer demeanour has no place in Mordheim.

Modron

Arcane
Which ones, out of interest?
Sorry never kept spreadsheets on things I dumped unceremoniously for displaying text slower than I can read. It's just a big deal breaker for me. Also haven't played any Japanese games outside of Front Mission 3/4, Shenmue 1/2, and Yakuza series in the last ~3 years so haven't been exposed to so typewriter like text display systems in a while.

YldriE

Learned
02TNief.png

Phantasy Star 0 (DS, 2008)

Tedious slog: the game.

Ever since I played The Divison I have developped a liking for guns with stats and when all you have is emulation, you don't have an obvious go-to; you have to try out games that sort of maybe fit half the definition if you look at night without your glasses, and hope for the best.

Phantasy Star 0 is an action-RPG with a few firearm builds, so I figured why not.

Let me tell you about the game in one short description: enter tiny square, kill one wave of enemies, another wave spawns, kill them, then open a chest and move on to the next square. That's it. Barring a few bosses, the formula never changes.

This slog makes it impossible to develop a plot, as by the time you get to the next story beats, it all feels pretty long ago. Not a big loss though, we're still talking about neverending Japo dialogues, the usual vapid garbage of overly Goody Two-Shoes characters and telegraphed twists. At one point the game looked like it was going for yet another "I had to kill all of humanity for their own good", and it managed to be a red herring for an even lamer twist.

The gameplay is solid enough that I could gather the courage to play it to the end, though of course bingeing was out of the question. 15-minute sessions were enough.

The visuals are pretty good considering the system it's running on, the sounds are completely unremarkable but you don't play such a stale and repetitive game without a background podcast anyway.

Verdict: acceptable with podcasts, and assuming you don't have a better game to play (big if).

79iDnKD.png

9fmNLQA.png

7aukZqo.png

AfpeFBc.png

OU4rxaX.png

LQ0c7A4.png

dJi5cqE.png

mbePskS.png

Last edited:

The Red Knight

Erudite
FeMENine? As in, manboobs?

A turn-based arena game where you're one of wizards fighting other wizards using summons and other spells. Can be played with more than one player-controlled wizard and against the AI. You start with a set number of spell points but you can gain more during play.
aXS9gXK.png

Przygody Krzysia
A puzzle platformer where you have to figure out the order in which to collect items in each level to not get stuck (you can't jump). I don't remember controls being any better back when it came out so I presume he is hard to control on purpose. Can be played without knowing the language; F1=game console, F10=quit. The only Potato download source left is behind a Potato paywall but it can also be found on Russian abandonware sites.
uxFXPbC.png
S4EWhho.jpg

W6ME0p8.png

IlAu6fP.png

aZBhM1t.png
https://archive.org/details/winwiz
A coffee-break dungeon crawl and a 2004 remake of a text game from 1980 by the same name (the 2014 date on archive.org refers to the version 1.38). Stats can be bought in shops or gained/lost by interacting with objects. There are some traps and you can go back up in case you fall through a pit tile or had to leave some strong monster on a higher level.
J26PQwO.png

https://archive.org/details/SuperHer_1020
An adventure/RPG where you're a new superheroine after you discover your parents were superheroes. Very glitchy when played on modern systems.
TftanM5.jpg
DfhPRJn.jpg

8MrWIGF.jpg

Fancy portrait graphics that show the skill currently being increased and have several power tiers so you can see how powerful you get.

FhtSpMc.jpg

"You wish pal! This is a family game!"

5G8u0Od.png

6jJwe68.png

World map. You don't have to stick to "streets", and walking over objects may trigger encounters specific to them.

WniFdov.png

BrUEbmE.jpg

ATg8Wwf.jpg

IiMdTke.jpg

OaHn2Iw.jpg

avl0cpb.jpg

Her pimp mistakes us for his competition.
oefhqO9.jpg

QE9oPQT.jpg

GgRSo99.jpg

The game has realistic romance options. You can invite this perfect guy for a dinner and it ends with a dinner and getting a small gift before he has to go back to doing superhero work. No unnecessary drama and random romance banter.
7n7y1cT.jpg

w1in5Yc.jpg

jkZbszQ.jpg
El Grande (Koch Media)
I don't speak Schwäbisch so I have no idea what I was doing.
KTOZeEd.jpg
paW9xzw.jpg

Q8cwPPb.jpg

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
FeMENine? As in, manboobs?

A turn-based arena game where you're one of wizards fighting other wizards using summons and other spells. Can be played with more than one player-controlled wizard and against the AI. You start with a set number of spell points but you can gain more during play.
aXS9gXK.png

Przygody Krzysia
A puzzle platformer where you have to figure out the order in which to collect items in each level to not get stuck (you can't jump). I don't remember controls being any better back when it came out so I presume he is hard to control on purpose. Can be played without knowing the language; F1=game console, F10=quit. The only Potato download source left is behind a Potato paywall but it can also be found on Russian abandonware sites.
uxFXPbC.png
S4EWhho.jpg

W6ME0p8.png

IlAu6fP.png

aZBhM1t.png
https://archive.org/details/winwiz
A coffee-break dungeon crawl and a 2004 remake of a text game from 1980 by the same name (the 2014 date on archive.org refers to the version 1.38). Stats can be bought in shops or gained/lost by interacting with objects. There are some traps and you can go back up in case you fall through a pit tile or had to leave some strong monster on a higher level.
J26PQwO.png

https://archive.org/details/SuperHer_1020
An adventure/RPG where you're a new superheroine after you discover your parents were superheroes. Very glitchy when played on modern systems.
TftanM5.jpg
DfhPRJn.jpg

8MrWIGF.jpg

Fancy portrait graphics that show the skill currently being increased and have several power tiers so you can see how powerful you get.

FhtSpMc.jpg

"You wish pal! This is a family game!"

5G8u0Od.png

6jJwe68.png

World map. You don't have to stick to "streets", and walking over objects may trigger encounters specific to them.

WniFdov.png

BrUEbmE.jpg

ATg8Wwf.jpg

IiMdTke.jpg

OaHn2Iw.jpg

avl0cpb.jpg

Her pimp mistakes us for his competition.
oefhqO9.jpg

QE9oPQT.jpg

GgRSo99.jpg

The game has realistic romance options. You can invite this perfect guy for a dinner and it ends with a dinner and getting a small gift before he has to go back to doing superhero work. No unnecessary drama and random romance banter.
7n7y1cT.jpg

w1in5Yc.jpg

jkZbszQ.jpg
El Grande (Koch Media)
I don't speak Schwäbisch so I have no idea what I was doing.
KTOZeEd.jpg
paW9xzw.jpg

Q8cwPPb.jpg

Damn man, you should cross-post WinWiz and SuperHer in the Really Obscure RPGs thread.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
rating_citation.png

full.png

http://fflns.com/index.php?seccion=descarga

It is Final Fight LNS 3.0, an OpenBor version of Final Fight that has a much larger roster. Mainly the characters from Capcom arcade titles (Final
Fight series, Street Fighter, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Captain Commando, Alien vs Predator, Battle Circuit, Darkstalkers, Strider and last but not least - Punisher).

The difficulty is higher than the original obviously, and we also can choose our path from time to time, so it has higher replay value. The enemies have been also "imported" from other games, and we are gaining XP while beating our way through. As we level up, we gain more health and have more energy for special attacks that need them. I didn't tested all the characters, but since they have stats (Strength, Speed, Skill, Stamina) it can play very differently. My favorite ones are Strider Hiryu and Ninja Commando, great balance between being tough and quick. Predators are OP as hell, but you need to beat game a couple of times before you can choose them (same goes for some others as well). You can check movelist and do some training, play volleyball, bonus stages (which are more frequent and there is a lot of them compared to originals), and boss rushes if you are up to it. Plus Capcom All Stars, which are stages from arcade originals, but changed for the sake of this mod.

After some time you will be making 50-100 hit combos, but you can die quickly if you let your guard down. Between tossing and kicking/punching enemies, it really makes you feel like a bad ass.

finalfightlns32019-05bmkx3.jpg

The Crap mode means, that there aren't any power ups from bad guys/girls/trannies and instead you know what. Ultra hard seems many times more forgiving due to that. Musou mode is for total psychos, where foes are very aggressive and there is a ton of them. Nice soundtrack, some of them are remixes of SF2 tracks, but mostly it's new retro wave.

finalfightlns32019-065djff.jpg

finalfightlns32019-064mjmh.jpg

finalfightlns32019-06ngjbn.jpg

finalfightlns32019-060ujtf.jpg

finalfightlns32019-06m2jvt.jpg

finalfightlns32019-06c7jou.jpg

finalfightlns32019-06jtkkz.jpg

finalfightlns32019-06npjn1.jpg

finalfightlns32019-06hvjd9.jpg

finalfightlns32019-06dxk17.jpg

finalfightlns32019-06z7jxz.jpg

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
The way text is slowly types out rather than appearing instantly is one major feature of JRPGs that absolutely annoys me. Why the fuck is this even a thing? Who came up with such a retarded idea?

:?

gyotni4hrk05.png

fft_option_menumsj2g.png

text99jnq.jpg
Persona 2 part 2 has an official English release and no setting for the text speed. Interestingly, Persona 2 part 1 for the PS1 has no official English release but it has been fan translated and the text speed in this case is faster.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The way text is slowly types out rather than appearing instantly is one major feature of JRPGs that absolutely annoys me. Why the fuck is this even a thing? Who came up with such a retarded idea?

I have to say I unironically like text being typed out in JRPGs. Just not as slow as it is. It gives off the idea of dialogue being spoken as opposed to simply appearing.

FFIX-no-shaders.png

FFIX-crt-royale.png

FFIX-xm29.png

Friendship ended with crt-royale. Now crt-royale-xm29plus.slangp is my best friend.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom