Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

octavius

Arcane
Patron
OpenXcom, Ironman on Superhuman difficulty.

First two months went well.
S8B4Qsv.png

Then we had to abort one terror mission, and then terror struck Perth.
A welcoming comittee; isn't that nice?
YYNlI6E.png

Instead of taking us to their leader, they wanted to lead us to the undertaker. My second little tenk did not get off the landing pad either.
kCY5D4i.png

The UN is not happy.
RlzV2xZ.png

I wonder what their back-up plan is if the X-Com project is terminated?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
069C4DBB6868E9DB4F0D1409F0F2F7FA20BCF996

3194012DD8E2E59DB13D5573807B1B40622BDB6E

E0BFBC9502A43F45843BD6AACE9503B7B5C661E5

:hmmm:
D39B04444B12075E9FD24384A68A53EA8FCDE979

3617174CAE485620275EA213CCF025E37602C833

7/10 play Jedi Outcast 2 instead

I had some nice scenes from vehicle section but thanks to the game engine stuff went missing (and some were added, like QS notification, only some parts in the game required more frequent F12 spam).
Vehicle section, oh god...

octavius

Arcane
Patron
After a nice Terror Mission against Goblins and Kobolds Floaters and Reapers in Dallas
JMFu5F4.png

things are looking better.
AiQnjtr.png

I don't if it's random or if it's the difficulty settings that affect things, but there's been fewer UFO sightings in this game than usual. Only salvaged one UFO Power Source so far, for example.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Unicorn Dungeon, first game in the Sir Typhil's Tale series.

20210626171623-1.jpg

It starts by making you walk along an annoyingly long corridor sprinkled with some humor. Like this high tech toilet for adventurers who gotta pee.

20210626172048-1.jpg

20210626184401-1.jpg

Overall, it's a decent adventure game. The humor is pretty solid, and the puzzles are mostly logical.

But there's one element I hate about it: the dungeon.

There's a dungeon that plays like a roguelike, but with a fixed layout. Top-down tile based dungeon crawling where all you can do is attack enemies. You only have 16 HP, and sometimes enemies drop potions that heal 5 HP.
Sometimes... not always.
And while most enemies die in one hit, you don't always hit.
And there's a point in the game where you lose your sword but have to go back into the dungeon, halving the damage you do to enemies, meaning that the basic jackals take 2 hits instead of 1 to go down.
Which means you take some damage every time you fight one.
And they don't always drop a potion.
See the problem?

That turns the path from the dungeon entrance to the place where you have to solve a puzzle into a gamble. If one or two jackals drop a potion, great. If none of them drop any, you'll probably die and have to try again.

The adventure game part is cool, but the dungeon FUCKING SUCKS.

It's a pretty short game, too. Steam says 96 minutes. This has to be one of the shortest adventure games I ever played.
But hey, I paid like 5 bucks for the entire Sir Typhil saga, and there's three more games coming.

Despite its short length, it would be improved by cutting out the dungeon. Or making the fights completely deterministic instead of adding hit rolls when you can't really do anything other than hit enemies.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Continuing my Ironman run of OpenXcom on Superhuman, I had to cheat twice. First when most of my squad got barbecued from a blaster bomb when defending HQ (it's in the textbook, but of course one only really learns the lesson of spreading out when you experience these things personally).

Second time was a Terror Mission in Rome at night, facing a horde of Chrysalids ("When in Rome be like the Romans") and Snakemen.
oFZlg5l.png

I regret reloading, as I could have pulled out with most of the squad intact, but in a moment of weakness (and despair from missing several times with 60-70% chance) I killed the program and reloaded to get a better start.
I even experimented with not using Smoke Grenades, but I decided the disadvantage is too great even in a terror mission at night.
On the third try I prevailed.
tqvlxiI.png

The one killed was by one of a trio of Chrysalids that I thought I had killed. Nasty buggers. If you research them it says they are most vulnerable to explosives. That is not my experience; I find Plasma more effective against them.

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
Ironman run on Superhuman
Terror Mission at night
Pardon me but are you fucking crazy? :D If you as you say "cheat" afterwards might as well just abuse a little to fly over by day (or choose to ignore).
By the way: is OpenXcom is that good as they say? If I wanna replay Terror Froim The Deep, can I do it with it and have no issues whatsoever? (without dealing with all kinds of issues even dosbox sessions can have)

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Ironman run on Superhuman
Terror Mission at night
Pardon me but are you fucking crazy? :D

Heh, I'm not crazy. I don't use the Sneaky AI option.

If you as you say "cheat" afterwards might as well just abuse a little to fly over by day (or choose to ignore).

Well, I use that tactic with crash sites, but with terror attacks I've found there is only a small window of opportunity. And I'm one of those crazy gamers who only very reluctantly use the Flee option, so ignore is a last resort.

By the way: is OpenXcom is that good as they say? If I wanna replay Terror Froim The Deep, can I do it with it and have no issues whatsoever? (without dealing with all kinds of issues even dosbox sessions can have)

It's brilliant. But I haven't played the original, so I can't compare.
TFTD works perfectly. I'm only a bit uncertain of how the difficulty levels and ink (I think?) grenades work, both being bugged in the original.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Altwaldheim. A town management strategy game where you construct buildings and recruit an army. Battles are automatic, each turn your and the enemy soldiers fight each other and take casualties based on unit stats.

Gameplay is pretty simple, but the game isn't easy. I just lost my third game, and there's no savescumming. Lots of events happen where you have to make decisions. Pretty good game.

20210626204148-1.jpg

20210626203023-1.jpg

20210626203041-1.jpg

20210626203530-1.jpg

20210626203606-1.jpg

20210626204719-1.jpg

20210626211808-1.jpg

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
Here's your Christmas event, bro.

DGzSc0L.jpg

FrlbWZL.jpg

Literally throwing presents in children's faces.

mBZ5kEu.jpg

Kicking presents towards them too.

xqYslwB.jpg

Jumping, flipping and spinning about the place to spread the Christmas cheer!

GahEIfo.jpg

aRZ7gFS.jpg

jackofshadows

Magister
Well, I use that tactic with crash sites, but with terror attacks I've found there is only a small window of opportunity. And I'm one of those crazy gamers who only very reluctantly use the Flee option, so ignore is a last resort.
I was implied target abusing: as long as site is targeted by any craft, it stays. So... you can target it by interceptors while preparing and correcting trajectory for transporter.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I was implied target abusing: as long as site is targeted by any craft, it stays. So... you can target it by interceptors while preparing and correcting trajectory for transporter.

Ah...well, that I would consider cheating.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom