Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
ded.png

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is what I hate about modern TW games.
They changed the battle system from a simulationist one where every soldier had 1 HP (some elite soldiers had 2, generals usually had 3 or more to prevent them insta-dying) and they would only take damage if an attack passed through their armor. Shields and armor actually worked like shields and armor, blocking damage entirely! And when an armor-piercing shot got through, it usually felled the soldier.

All of that was changed for a hitpoint system in the newer games. And not just hitpoints per soldier... but per unit. And it turns the battles into complete shit.
Previously, you could get some satisfying kills by timing a musket volley just right or lining up a cavalry charge. A good charge could make your knights get 50 kills with their lances. A good musket volley could completely annihilate the first rank of a formation.
But the men in the back ranks would still be at full health, and if your cavalry got bogged down they'd be at a disadvantage. Same with your musketmen when engaged in melee with shielded and armored melee fighters.

With the new system, none of this happens anymore. When the formation is at full health, no soldiers are going to die from a volley or a charge. Instead, the unit's HP goes down. Once the HP has gone down enough, soldiers finally start dropping.
It's completely ridiculous. The front row eats a dozen arrows, but then the unit HP has been drained enough that they die to the thirteenth arrow.
And then their companions in the back fall a lot more easily. Because HP is calculated on a per-formation basis, rather than an individual soldier basis.

It completely destroys any semblance of believability the old Total War games used to have. And it makes full HP units overpowered, while units that already lost a bunch of men become near useless in comparison.

It's the worst decline of any game system I've ever seen. Total War went from having one of my favorite combat systems in all strategy gaming to having one that's significantly worse compared to even your average RTS.

catfood

AGAIN
Which TW game was the first to have this new crappy hitpoint system?
Shogun 2?
That or Empire. I forget which one switched to the new engine.

EDIT: Yeah, I don't like the battle engine in the new games either. It feels too arcadey. That's why I don't play the new games. I played Shogun 2 for a while and the strategic map improvements were really good, but sadly the battles took a nosedive and let's be honest those were always the main attraction of the series.

Last edited:

Psquit

Arcane
y627Ysl.png

I'll tell you how The Jomsvikings Killed the Queen

PRcqRSi.png

Exploring!

J1KOAQW.png

Action!

tF5fVCh.png

Suspense!

YmnFHow.png

Camaraderie!

HYamrcf.png

Slow days!

MoItC14.png

New terrible lands!

nYqsqxN.png

DRAMA!

oIBEQE9.png
EBUfEAf.png

Comfyness

WiIgavc.png

To eventually the final battle against the queen, everyone was here for this moment. Our collective autism paved the way for this occasion.

TPUdULi.jpg

The boys made it possible!

ErbUeV4.png

And a promise to return to vanquish one final evil!
It's been an honor boys, despite the time zones we manage to build something good. All our hardships and personal dramas couldn't destroy the need to kill the queen. :salute:

HansDampf

Arcane
Liebe Genossen, es folgt ein Deutsches Spiel.

SIGNALIS

017qelu.png

02k3dqf.png

Ein klassisches Überlebenshorror Spiel im PS1-Stil, mit Munitionsknappheit, begrenztem Inventar, und netten Rätseln zwischendurch. Als Zombies dienen hier verseuchte Replikas (Androiden), allesamt weiblich. Eine dystopische Welt für JarlFrank, denn ... sie haben keine Füße? Menschen übrigens auch nicht.

056gi6p.png

:hmmm:
Scheint eine stilistische Entscheidung gewesen zu sein.

01_cec7j.png

Guten Morgen, Elster.

04x8d7z.png

04_1xtfld.png

03gwi3x.png

PRIVATEIGENTUM IST EIN PRIVILEG!

06y8dty.png

Replikas sind verdammte Casuals.

08ktdb0.png

093tdw1.png

10s6ep1.png

137rd7s.png

:hahyou:

10_yhcgr.png

11ncfsu.png

Wenn du weißt...
bdMkmj5.jpg

12n0c6o.png

Diese verfluchten Kohlibris (links) können deine Sinneswahrnehmungen beeinflussen, und man muss das Radio auf bestimmte Frequenzen stellen, um nicht den Verstand zu verlieren, sowohl im Spiel als auch vor dem Bildschirm.

15ibdkx.png

16ndixt.png

175vcx2.png

QdFhXP5.gif

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

SIGNALIS

017qelu.png

02k3dqf.png

Ein klassisches Überlebenshorror Spiel im PS1-Stil, mit Munitionsknappheit, begrenztem Inventar, und netten Rätseln zwischendurch. Als Zombies dienen hier verseuchte Replikas (Androiden), allesamt weiblich. Eine dystopische Welt für JarlFrank, denn ... sie haben keine Füße? Menschen übrigens auch nicht.

056gi6p.png

01_cec7j.png

Guten Morgen, Elster.

04x8d7z.png

04_1xtfld.png

03gwi3x.png

06y8dty.png

08ktdb0.png

093tdw1.png

10s6ep1.png

137rd7s.png

10_yhcgr.png

11ncfsu.png

Wenn du weißt...
bdMkmj5.jpg

12n0c6o.png

Diese verfluchten Kohlibris (links) können deine Sinneswahrnehmungen beeinflussen, und man muss das Radio auf bestimmte Frequenzen stellen, um nicht den Verstand zu verlieren, sowohl im Spiel als auch vor dem Bildschirm.

15ibdkx.png

16ndixt.png

175vcx2.png

QdFhXP5.gif
pulp-fiction.gif

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

SIGNALIS

017qelu.png

02k3dqf.png

056gi6p.png

01_cec7j.png

Guten Morgen, Elster.

04x8d7z.png

04_1xtfld.png

03gwi3x.png

06y8dty.png

08ktdb0.png

093tdw1.png

10s6ep1.png

137rd7s.png

10_yhcgr.png

11ncfsu.png

Wenn du weißt...
bdMkmj5.jpg

12n0c6o.png

15ibdkx.png

16ndixt.png

175vcx2.png

QdFhXP5.gif
pulp-fiction.gif
the-wire-bunk.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom