Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Andnjord

Arcane
Fucking amazing, I had him down to 50% health on his second phase, ressurection available, 4 healing gourds left, then I get hit by terror because he decided to spam his terror scream twice in a row (first time he does that, so that caught me out) and my controller died right then and there, with the ressurection prompt taunting me and unable to press it. Otherwise I would have been able to open the inventory screen pausing the game, compose myself, grab some new batteries then unpause but nope, had to happen at the worst possible moment.

:despair:
:badnews:

My levels of butthurt are off the charts right now :lol:

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ok, I've find the first boss that I genuinely dislike: Guardian Ape. Fucking grab attacks with giant hitboxes that slam you against a wall breaking the camera just so you can't see the follow-up attack (because of course he combos into another attack right after half of the time) then that sword move set that's a nightmare to read. Awesome.
One of my favorite bosses in the game (but, to be fair, they're all incredible). To quote dunkey: even if the game was just the Guardian Ape bossfight, Sekiro would still be GOTY. Now I can see how he is not THAT hard, but on my first playthrough I died more to him than to all the Elden Ring bosses combined.

Andnjord

Arcane
Ok, I've find the first boss that I genuinely dislike: Guardian Ape. Fucking grab attacks with giant hitboxes that slam you against a wall breaking the camera just so you can't see the follow-up attack (because of course he combos into another attack right after half of the time) then that sword move set that's a nightmare to read. Awesome.
One of my favorite bosses in the game (but, to be fair, they're all incredible). To quote dunkey: even if the game was just the Guardian Ape bossfight, Sekiro would still be GOTY. Now I can see how he is not THAT hard, but on my first playthrough I died more to him than to all the Elden Ring bosses combined.
Considering my progress in the last attempt where he pulled off that plot armour move of killing my controller, I'm confident I can beat him before I reach the deaths to O'rin number :M
I need a break though because goddamn is he making me rage hard, I find him infuriating :lol:

Those grabs of his are definitely annoying on first run, that alone makes his first phase harder than second to me. Of course now I just always sprint away in time because I killed him too many times to fall for it anymore, but I do remember raging at him too.

Andnjord

Arcane
And down too went the Guardian Ape after the second attempt of the session, taking it to around 12-15 total I think (so less than O'rin). I'm still mad about this boss, still felt my heart racing and needed to pause the game at the start of its second phase, but in the end, while it took a while because it just refused to do its giant overhead swing that knocks it down when you deflect it for a good few minutes, that second phase went down pretty smoothly, only needed to drink once to heal.

Still mad about it though, to quote the poet:
I NEED VALIUM ON THE DOUBLE
:rpgcodex:

Andnjord

Arcane
And down with the double apes on the first try. I will admit that the second phase of the guardian ape is actually quite trivial once you get used to it. The trick is to keep a good distance to bait that overhead mega attack and deflect it properly, then Mortal Blade his ass or Floating Passage if you're like me and have been traumatised by running out of emblems.

Still hate his first phase though.

And down with the double apes on the first try. I will admit that the second phase of the guardian ape is actually quite trivial once you get used to it. The trick is to keep a good distance to bait that overhead mega attack and deflect it properly, then Mortal Blade his ass or Floating Passage if you're like me and have been traumatised by running out of emblems.

You can also use spear to inflict lots of posture damage when he falls down after deflect. I really wouldn't bother with combat arts that use spirit emblems, prosthetics and ninjutsu already eat through those like crazy.
After couple of playthroughs I started using this just so I have more freedom to use all these toys. Don't care if it's a cheat, I really hated vanilla emblem cap.

Nirvash

Liturgist
Damn ninja hag is kicking my ass so hard, omg.

The parry/deflect thing in this game is way inconsistent, i can parry the front charge of a elephant sized bull ON FIRE but random homeless swinging a sword can blow me away?

Andnjord

Arcane
You can also use spear to inflict lots of posture damage when he falls down after deflect.
Yeah, I thought of using it when learning it as a way to close the gap due to how far that overhead slam knocked me back even when deflected, didn't expect my dude to come out with a centipede on his spear :lol:

I'll also give the Guardian Ape this: the animation on it is fantastic, especially on the second phase where it really looks like a puppet pulled by invisible strings.

Andnjord

Arcane
Now that I've played Sekiro for some time, I can see why people have been saying that Malenia looks like a boss fight lifted straight from Sekiro. She has those varied sword combos that would feel right at home there, the gamut of perilous attacks with a sweep attack, a lunge lifted from phase 3 Genichiro, a grab and of course her Waterfowl dance is straight up Spiral Cloud Passage if the little drawings on the skill are anything to go by. It's only the second phase that feels a lot more Souls-like to me. I could really see her being a fun Sekiro boss where all those combos require different responses and give offensive opportunitues to punish her, but further reinforces my feeling that she just feels out of place and unfun in Elden Ring with its Souls-like combat mechanics.

Which brings me to my next point: I really wish From would use Sekiro's combat as the basis for their next games and I am retroactively very disapointed that they didn't do so for Elden Ring. Imagine that combat but with stronger RPG options, shields giving more generous but less effective deflection windows, heavy armour bouncing ligher hits but preventing good side-step/dodging, equip loads determining what combat arts are available to you, spells still here... This, frankly, would be my dream game, ever more so if From would put it in their trademark fevered dream version of some unusual setting like bronze age Mesopotamia. I get that not everyone liked Sekiro's combat, but Elden Ring's has not exactly been unanimous here either.

The typical Souls-like combat feels more and more inadequate the more they push its speed I find. It's still fun overall, but it felt so much more appropiate with the slower speed of Demon Souls and Dark Souls 1. Bloodborne strikes a delicate balance with its ranged parries, rally mechanic and quick side-stepping allowing for a more pro-active gameplay, but the speed and movesets of Elden Ring promotes a much more passive approach where the general tactic is to avoid a boss combo, get one attack in, wait for its next combo to finish, get one attack in, rinse and repeat. Sure, you can trade with a lot of bosses by good usage of defensive consumables, spells and weapon arts, but spamming Lion's Claw and Moonveil gets old quickly. I'll have to echo the sentiment of many other posters in that the speed of the bosses feels mis-matched to your options as a player. I still had fun with it, but it sits right at the edge of the envelope that From has kept on pushing in their last games, and I hope they are aware of it. Malenia for example sat just outside of it, where it was no longer fun to fight her within the parameters of the combat system for me.

That being said, From Soft has made 4 games that I would praise without hesitation since Demon Souls (DeS, DaS, BB and Sekiro) and three others that I still enjoyed greatly despite a fair bit of criticism (DaS 2 and 3 and Elden Ring) so I'll probably end up DAY 1 PURCHASING whatever they do next, but I'm very curious if not a little bit wary of where they'll go next.

Which brings me to my next point: I really wish From would use Sekiro's combat as the basis for their next games and I am retroactively very disapointed that they didn't do so for Elden Ring. Imagine that combat but with stronger RPG options

I was hoping for that too after Sekiro but it seems most people actually prefer the i-frame spam gameplay. Also I suspect that i-frames are there to account for lag, and Sekiro combat might not work in an online game. Either way, I am absolutely sick of "dodge-dodge-dodge-attack-dodge-dodge" gameplay too, especially since it has become way more obnoxious since DSIII, with removal of poise and armor upgrades and enemies getting increasingly more and more retarded movesets. ER will take forever for me to finish because I keep taking breaks to play something else, as I'm completely burned out on Souls combat.

Andnjord

Arcane
Hey guys, so I've ended up getting both halves of the Serpent's Viscera: tried pupeteering on the monkey on a hunch, which then reminded me of the other old lady in Senpou temple and her hint and indeed there was a troll there as well to pupeteer (although I could have sworn he wasn't there the first time). It was satisfying as fuck to kill that serpent I gotta say.
Given how obscure that shit seemed, can you give me at least a hint as to what it's used for?

Given how obscure that shit seemed, can you give me at least a hint as to what it's used for?

It's for one of the endings. You should also know that there's only one ending path that gives you all the bosses/mini bosses and thus all possible upgrades per playthrough. Serpent Viscera path is not it. I just look that shit up, because fuck From's retarded "quest design".

Andnjord

Arcane

It's for one of the endings. You should also know that there's only one ending path that gives you all the bosses/mini bosses and thus all possible upgrades per playthrough. Serpent Viscera path is not it. I'd just look that shit up, because fuck From's retarded "quest design".
You really think I'm going to play this only once? :positive:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

It's for one of the endings. You should also know that there's only one ending path that gives you all the bosses/mini bosses and thus all possible upgrades per playthrough. Serpent Viscera path is not it. I just look that shit up, because fuck From's retarded "quest design".
There's no ending path that gives you all the bosses, you need to play the game at least twice. :incline:

Ah, the evil ending boss is shit anyway. I don't like that version of Isshin. Fuck that second phase. :lol:

Fuck me all this talking of Sekiro made me reinstall. When I should be continuing my first run of Elden Ring. Well, at least nowadays I can fly through Sekiro in few sittings, so I'll be back tapping that roll button soon enough. I also ended up doing another run of DMC V not that long ago so that also might be why it's hard for me to stay consistently interested in a game with Souls combat now.

Last edited:

Andnjord

Arcane
And killed the father of all daddy issues. I propably approached the fight in the most sensible way so far, died a bunch of times, took a break before the blood pressure would go up, came back and killed him straight away, total deaths about 6-7. For once the victorious fight was fairly clean, needed to drink from the gourd only three times and didn't need to ressurect, it really felt like I had defeated him fair and square and not through luck or some zen-like spark of divine inspiration. :positive:

Also killed the True Monk, took a few less tries than Owl, so O'rin's counter stands undefeated so far :lol:

SumDrunkGuy

Owl broke me in that game. After I defeated him I put the game down and never touched it again.

It's the only FS game I never finished.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Best sword duels in any From Soft Game, and probably in any melee action game ever.

You only get this level of satisfaction in Ninja Gaiden, DMC or Metal Gear Rising.

Damn ninja hag is kicking my ass so hard, omg.

The parry/deflect thing in this game is way inconsistent, i can parry the front charge of a elephant sized bull ON FIRE but random homeless swinging a sword can blow me away?

This thing about Sekiro is funny, because real katanas are pretty brittle and using them for blocking may quickly lead to breaking them. Real samurai to defend themselves were either dodging or counterattacking.

Never bothered with this ending in 4 playthroughs before the Gauntlet of Strength challenges were added to the game, I hated the idea of having to stab Emma in the throat. :negative:

Yes that's another thing about the fight that pissed me off. To keep getting to that final annoying stage I had to keep killing Emma over and over. It was disheartening. I did this ending once and never again. It was the only time I did NG+ too. It just made sense to do that ending in NG+.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom