Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

fork

The only really hard boss is Demon of Hatred, and since it's a troll boss, the only appropriate way to defeat him is cheesing.
Who would've thought that this retarded shit would be the route Fromsoft would continue going on.

Dead studio now.

one of the hardest bosses in Sekiro, Genichiro, Way of Twatmoe:

Not even remotely close, my negro. :M

Genichiro is roughly a check of basic competence in the game. A filter, if you will.

Wait is that just regular Genichiro, not the one with altered move set? That one isn't even remotely one of hardest ones, haha. I mean I did rage at him on my first run, but I was playing like idiot then.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
My favourite in FromSoft Souls games is when you have been trying to beat that seemingly impossible boss for hours, and in your final successful attempt you manage to do it with minimal effort, and you can't quite understand what it was that you found so difficult about him in the first place...

Lambach

Arcane
Wait is that just regular Genichiro, not the one with altered move set?

Yeah, pretty sure it's the regular one. The 'roided up version almost always opens with that areal massive sweep attack that insta-kills you if you take it fully on the chin.

I mean I did rage at him on my first run, but I was playing like idiot then.

That's why I called him a basic competence check. :M

He will teach you how to play the game and won't let you through before you get a very solid grasp on the basics (mainly properly parrying, of course).

I died to him dozens and dozens of times until Sekiro's combat system fully clicked with me. Now, even though it's been well over a year since I last played Sekiro, I could still probably beat (regular) Genichiro blindfolded, that's how deeply he's been carved into my muscle memory.

Lambach

Arcane
Typical internet hero response: "I died 400 times to Genichiro on my first playthrough, but now that I've played Sekiro 20 times, this dude is easy af..."

:hero:

He's literally designed to be that way, dude, anyone with a couple of playthroughs under their belt will tell you exactly the same.

Besides, you'll get the chance to meet him again later and you'll almost surely notice that you'll have a much easier time with him at that point.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Typical internet hero response: "I died 400 times to Genichiro on my first playthrough, but now that I've played Sekiro 20 times, this dude is easy af..."
You've got this weird super power where I'm always able to feel the saltiness of your tears through my monitor. It's crazy.
Reminder of the Popamoler's modus operandi:

ql3q60.png

This is what I missed about you guys, my video game awesomeness make you all so deliciously butthurt... :smug:

You said he's one of the hardest bosses in Sekiro, you were wrong. Our autism demands that you be corrected.

Let's see, let's do a quick google search: "hardest bosses in sekiro"

1st result: https://www.sportskeeda.com/esports/5-hardest-bosses-sekiro-ranked - Genichiro at 5th spot
2nd result: https://www.cbr.com/hardest-bosses-sekiro-ranked/ - Genichiro at 4th spot

Porky 5,000: Autists 0

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
I think this game would've been better if you could play as Himura Kenshin

Lambach

Arcane
This is what I missed about you guys, my video game awesomeness make you all so deliciously butthurt... :smug:

You said he's one of the hardest bosses in Sekiro, you were wrong. Our autism demands that you be corrected.

1st result: https://www.sportskeeda.com/esports/5-hardest-bosses-sekiro-ranked - Genichiro at 5th spot
2nd result: https://www.cbr.com/hardest-bosses-sekiro-ranked/ - Genichiro at 4th spot

Lulz, game j*rno rankings. :lol:

People who actually played the game ranked him as #13, well below average overall Boss Difficulty in the game.

Imagine being this proud of yourself for beating what is essentially an extended Tutorial Boss, lmaoooo. :lol:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

You're probably right. Please show us when you complete the game so we can admire your mastery and skills.

more about stopping myself panic mashing buttons.
I think the reality is that there's very few attacks in the entire game that actually demand superhuman reflexes, but what causes most normal humans to face difficulties is precisely that button mashing. I don't think your reflexes have gotten measurably better compared to before, but rather that your brain has to spend less time analyzing and finding the correct response to what's happening on screen.

Also, I think most people get better at the game through unconsciously absorbing the timing of various threats, to the point that you unconsciously know that that sword is coming down 0.5 seconds after beeing lifted up and thus know when to press L1 to parry it rather than actually reacting to when you see the sword actually coming down. Which is why new enemies with differently timed attacks can often throw us for a loop, we never really developped better reflexes, we just learned to fight other enemies through rote memorisation.

TLDR: You got gud, but not because of reflexes.
It's definitely the pattern recognition and repetition that makes you strong and not the reflexes. I agree.
Funny enough Sekiro made me think I'd gotten slow when I played it but now I'm playing Nioh 2 I don't think I actually had in retrospect. Just wasn't clicking with or enjoying rote learning enemy movesets. Felt like homework. Struggled to the end but never mastered it.

It'd be an interesting one for a future replay.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Naw, like Multi and Lambach said it's a basic competence check and designed to foster the correct mindset for the game i.e. deflecting and most importantly agressiveness, he is much harder if you try to take a passive aproach a la DS. It's relatively hard for players because it's the first real boss, but if we're dragging relativity into this he is easy relative to most following bosses. It's like saying cutting steak with your spoon is hard, so cutting steak is hard, then Genichiro urges you to use a knife. Those lists are retarded.
Good job though, he sure is a bitch starting out :kingcomrade:

On second run I actually found the granny to be tougher than Genichiro and would still rate her as a harder boss overall.

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Every time I assume this guy has already peaked and is getting boring, he does something like quoting online articles from the notoriously authoritative sources CBRDOTCOM and SPORTSKEEDA AND HE PULLS ME BACK IN.

Porktalk aside, I'm glad you're giving Sekiro a try. What's your opinion on the game so far?

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
My favourite in FromSoft Souls games is when you have been trying to beat that seemingly impossible boss for hours, and in your final successful attempt you manage to do it with minimal effort, and you can't quite understand what it was that you found so difficult about him in the first place...
I found that forcing myself to try and beat bosses each time i lost was counterproductive : i just became frustrated and began to "learn" my mistakes, whereas two or three tries and then doing something else altogether yielded vastly better results.

I found that forcing myself to try and beat bosses each time i lost was counterproductive : i just became frustrated and began to "learn" my mistakes, whereas two or three tries and then doing something else altogether yielded vastly better results.

Yeah same for me, I do better after taking a little break. Failing over and over without rest just makes me butthurt and I do even worse. When I'm stuck on boss I rarely spend more than half hour per attempt without breaks.

Every time I assume this guy has already peaked and is getting boring, he does something like quoting online articles from the notoriously authoritative sources CBRDOTCOM and SPORTSKEEDA AND HE PULLS ME BACK IN.

Hey, I don't control Google. Those were the first 2 search results.

Porktalk aside, I'm glad you're giving Sekiro a try. What's your opinion on the game so far?

Umm, I think it's probably the best combat system overall, in terms of general principles, of any FS game (I've completed DaS 1-3, ER), but it is much more demanding on reflexes than say DaS1, which depending on your age might not be the best thing. I like the setting too. In terms of world design, definitely not as good as DaS1, but decent by video game standards. Overall, though, the emphasis on combat is making me get a little jaded with FS games. I prefer stuff with more story/exploration and not just constant difficult combat.

Porkman: I beat the Guardian Ape!!!
Miyazaki: You so strong, Porkman-san, teehee, now face 2 Guardian Apes at same time, dumb gaijin!

Porkman: Hold my beer, you overripe ninny!

Porkman Productions Presents: When one ape ain't enough...

Humor aside, this fight is so dumb... You can't really fight them 2 on 1, since they have such ridiculous movesets and range, so you gotta cheese the phase 1 ape with firecrackers, but once you stun/scare it, the other one goes batshit insane and rails on you, so it's hard to even take the first one out. Also fucking lazy, you beat this fucker already, stop recycling bosses.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom