Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Deflowerer

Arcane
Miyazaki confirmed that Blade of Immortal was highly influential for SEKIRO, if that already wasn't obvious from the first trailer.

Wunderbar

Arcane
System requirements:

MINIMUM:
OS: Windows 7 64-bit | Windows 8 64-bit | Windows 10 64-bit
Processor: Intel Core i3-2100 | AMD FX-6300
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 | AMD Radeon HD 7950
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 25 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 11 Compatible

RECOMMENDED:
OS: Windows 7 64-bit | Windows 8 64-bit | Windows 10 64-bit
Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K | AMD Ryzen 5 1400
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 | AMD Radeon RX 570
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 25 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 11 Compatible

Surprisingly modest. I think it's less demanding than Dark Souls 3.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I actually want to see what From can pull off with an actual story and fixed protagonist. People are lamenting perceived lack of character customization, but you can probably get a much better shot at legit difficulty if you KNOW what each player has to work with at every milestone so it comes down to execution and skill versus cheesing it with specific loadouts or grinding souls.

I know who's going to have a blast with Sekiro.

dsp-SHAKE-SHAKE-face.gif

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I think this kind of game benefits a lot From's artisan game design philosophy. Like you said, they can play with pace, difficulty curve and level design at will.

I'm pretty excited for the game, it's good for gaming if they pull off a success with this title. A crafted single player action-adventure game with no online crap, random levels and loot, grinding and all that shit. Just smartly designed levels fun to explore, good atmosphere, well put together gameplay and reasonable challenge.

Machocruz

Arcane
I'm glad this isn't Souls with a samurai skin, although there are similarities, which is the case for many FromSoft games. You're this ninja dude and that's that. And I hope the next Miyazaki game is even less like Souls. I think there is something wrong with the brains of people who can't grasp or get over what this game isn't, or they are man-babies who feel they are entitled to have a game director service them with the same shit over and over. They're probably assmad they won't be able to grind to win or run around with blue skin in a waistcloth and funny hat.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Action games with predetermined character, abilities and route are a dime a dozen. Even platformers in the 80s gave the player alternate routes, equipment, and things like currency or levels and character stats. Celebrating the diminishment of those aspects is retarded.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Action games with predetermined character, abilities and route are a dime a dozen. Even platformers in the 80s gave the player alternate routes, equipment, and things like currency or levels and character stats. Celebrating the diminishment of those aspects is retarded.

Not every game has to be a bland semi-RPG. I take a Ninja Gaiden Black or Devil May Cry 3 over an Assassin's Creed or generic popamole modern game with stats every day. That's true diminishment, complex games as deep as a puddle of water and with no personality.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
If FROM is to do another game in a format similar to Souls (at least semi-open world, customized build, etc), I'd prefer they'd try and apply the formula in a new manner, ie I'd love me an Armored Core 6 that used an open environment instead of strictly packaged missions.

Damned Registrations

It's a series where you get xp/souls/money from killing stuff, spend it on incredibly lame upgrades like 'more hp' or 'more mana' or 'useless extra combo move'. You also get weapons like 'slow fire weapon that counters enemies that are icy or have shields' and 'fast ice weapon which counters enemies which dodge or are fiery'. It also did that dodgeroll spam thing even before demonsouls was made. Half the game is cutscenes because the devs are fanfic writers that just want to see someone do cooool stuff on a motorcycle or do the legolas vs oliphant thing. The plot is that you're hunting down your mysterious enemy, who is TWIST REVEALED to be someone you know, who then is TWIST REDEEMED so another random dude can be the actual boss in the eleventh hour.

Obviously, exploration doesn't actually reward you meaningfully because the good stuff like double jump is unavoidable and we don't want to punish lazy people that don't want to backtrack or read.

sullynathan

Arcane
The plot is that you're hunting down your mysterious enemy, who is TWIST REVEALED to be someone you know, who then is TWIST REDEEMED so another random dude can be the actual boss in the eleventh hour.
nope.

It's a series where you get xp/souls/money from killing stuff, spend it on incredibly lame upgrades like 'more hp' or 'more mana' or 'useless extra combo move'. You also get weapons like 'slow fire weapon that counters enemies that are icy or have shields' and 'fast ice weapon which counters enemies which dodge or are fiery'.
If you think a combo is useless then it's your fault for not using it properly. Devil May Cry games have a small list of combos in general.

It also did that dodgeroll spam thing even before demonsouls was made.
What? Rolling isn't even the most effective means of dodging in Devil May Cry. How clueless can you be? Depending on the game, you have three dodges, and jumping is usually the one with the most i-frames. You can't "roll spam" in DMC like Souls games, hell most DMC games don't have a dedicated dodge button.

Half the game is cutscenes because the devs are fanfic writers that just want to see someone do cooool stuff on a motorcycle or do the legolas vs oliphant thing
All cutscenes can be skipped, therefore this point is moot. Multiple difficulty levels and game modes where you don't need to watch cutscenes and there's far more gameplay in all DMC games than cutscenes. The first game has at best 30 minutes of cutscenes, none of them even really reach 2 hours of cutscenes.

Riding a motorcycle is cool, you'd never know that you gay weeaboo furry.

Obviously, exploration doesn't actually reward you meaningfully because the good stuff like double jump is unavoidable and we don't want to punish lazy people that don't want to backtrack or read.
They are not exploratory games. This is as dumb as complaining that 2D platformers like Mario are worse than Metroid because they're not exploration based. Dumbass.

Damned Registrations

If you think combos matter when you can grenade spam with roll cancelling then I know you're just talking out your ass. Enjoy your press A to awesome games. Also, resident evil style key/puzzle hunting games aren't about exploration apparently. Top kek.

sullynathan

Arcane
If you think combos matter when you can grenade spam with roll cancelling then I know you're just talking out your ass. Enjoy your press A to awesome games. Also, resident evil style key/puzzle hunting games aren't about exploration apparently. Top kek.
Funnily enough you bring up "grenade spam" and combos with the only DMC game that had a grenade launcher and a small amount of combos. What, you found out how to animation cancel a grenade launcher on easy and now the combos that do more damage don't matter? You're talking out of your ass here because such a strategy isn't super effective as you go up in difficulty in the game.

Having RE keys but not using them in an exploritary manner like RE makes DMC linear. The original games, and the rest of the series wasn't about item hunting and barely have any puzzles.

I'm glad this isn't Souls with a samurai skin, although there are similarities, which is the case for many FromSoft games. You're this ninja dude and that's that. And I hope the next Miyazaki game is even less like Souls. I think there is something wrong with the brains of people who can't grasp or get over what this game isn't, or they are man-babies who feel they are entitled to have a game director service them with the same shit over and over. They're probably assmad they won't be able to grind to win or run around with blue skin in a waistcloth and funny hat.
Miyazaki made a game very recently that wasn't like Souls at all: Deracine. It was great. Definitely the best narrative work to come out from them. Reviewers weren't kind to it though because it's very understated and weird

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Devil may cry is pretty much the definition of a bland semi rpg. :lol:

Such a shame the retardo button no longer exists.

It's a series where you get xp/souls/money from killing stuff, spend it on incredibly lame upgrades like 'more hp' or 'more mana' or 'useless extra combo move'.

Upgrade systems exist in pretty much every game genre. That fact doesn't make any game with one an RPG, or that it's trying to emulate RPG qualities.
Also what's lame about that. You kill stuff, the game rewards you with currency for you to use, but it never forces you to spend it and the game doesn't get cheap if player never does so. As such if you want, you can make challenge runs where you have minimal resources.
Finally "useless combos". I am starting to suspect you never played a DMC. The combo list is very small, and they are far from useless. If you feel like that, then it's your fault for not properly figuring out their effects and when best to use them.

You also get weapons like 'slow fire weapon that counters enemies that are icy or have shields' and 'fast ice weapon which counters enemies which dodge or are fiery'.

While, like the combos, there are times when using X weapon is more convenient, that doesn't make any of them only useful for specific situations. All weapons are very versatile and fun to use.
Again if taked your time to actually pay attention to the mechanics and test them you would see that you are being very ignorant about the game - I mean there's a good damn reason DMC3 is still one of the best action games made.

It also did that dodgeroll spam thing even before demonsouls was made.

serveimage

Nope.

Half the game is cutscenes

Yup, you never played a DMC.
And you can skip every single one of them.

The plot is that you're hunting down your mysterious enemy, who is TWIST REVEALED to be someone you know, who then is TWIST REDEEMED so another random dude can be the actual boss in the eleventh hour.

Not really.
Also story has never been a focus for this series... fucking storyfag.

Exploration IS NOT a key aspect of pure ACTION games.

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I like Dark Souls as a game series but it is exhilarating to see how much DS fanboys being butthurt that Sekiro is not a Dark Souls clone :lol:

Like Jesus, you already have 5 games, including Demon Soul and Bloodborne, which plays roughly the same and plethora of DS clone of varying qualities. Even I get sick of dodge roll smacking people for 5 games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom