Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Baron Dupek

Arcane
What about King's Field or other first person RPGs, they have a chance to break monopoly of Bethesda in that matter by coming back to their roots, if they bother.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Don't like the fact that they are still sticking to the checkpoint system of the prior games. Like they themselves are making their prior games less unique.

Hassar

Scholar
I'm glad this isn't Souls with a samurai skin, although there are similarities, which is the case for many FromSoft games. You're this ninja dude and that's that. And I hope the next Miyazaki game is even less like Souls. I think there is something wrong with the brains of people who can't grasp or get over what this game isn't, or they are man-babies who feel they are entitled to have a game director service them with the same shit over and over. They're probably assmad they won't be able to grind to win or run around with blue skin in a waistcloth and funny hat.
Miyazaki made a game very recently that wasn't like Souls at all: Deracine. It was great. Definitely the best narrative work to come out from them. Reviewers weren't kind to it though because it's very understated and weird

I watched a few “Deracine” let’s plays on YT. Maybe the reviews were unkind because of the limited interactions the player could have and the few major decisions at the end? It looked more like a visual novel rendered in 3-d which fit the story-based approach but was not a particularly great story in a market where visual novels are a viable niche with great examples of story in multiple titles.

I'm glad this isn't Souls with a samurai skin, although there are similarities, which is the case for many FromSoft games. You're this ninja dude and that's that. And I hope the next Miyazaki game is even less like Souls. I think there is something wrong with the brains of people who can't grasp or get over what this game isn't, or they are man-babies who feel they are entitled to have a game director service them with the same shit over and over. They're probably assmad they won't be able to grind to win or run around with blue skin in a waistcloth and funny hat.
Miyazaki made a game very recently that wasn't like Souls at all: Deracine. It was great. Definitely the best narrative work to come out from them. Reviewers weren't kind to it though because it's very understated and weird

I watched a few “Deracine” let’s plays on YT. Maybe the reviews were unkind because of the limited interactions the player could have and the few major decisions at the end? It looked more like a visual novel rendered in 3-d which fit the story-based approach but was not a particularly great story in a market where visual novels are a viable niche with great examples of story in multiple titles.

The "few major decisions" complaint is definitely valid. Most reviewers I've read didn't touch on that, though. Most just didn't seem to like what it was going for, or misunderstood it (one in particular complained that it was creepy, as if it were unintentional). The story is tied so beautifully to the strange disconnected feeling you have, looking and poking around a 3D environment frozen in time, that I don't think it would necessarily translate well to the visual novel format. I admit I'm not overly familiar with that genre, though.

Silva

Arcane
Noticed something good and something bad in this last clip:

The good: character movements have a kind of bodily inertia to them that gives me Dark Souls 1 vibes.

The bad: GFX seem an improved Dark Souls 3 engine with that same ugly, grayish, pallete.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don' t understand these boss showcase videos. What good they do to promote the game? they are only spoilering game peaks.

One of the best aspects of these games are discovering for the first time the nasty bosses with anxiety and dread.

Not clicking that shit.

sullynathan

Arcane
I don' t understand these boss showcase videos. What good they do to promote the game? they are only spoilering game peaks.

One of the best aspects of these games are discovering for the first time the nasty bosses with anxiety and dread.

Not clicking that shit.
It's only a 30 sec cutscene, how much can it really spoil?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
They completely dumbed it down:

- no stamina bar
- you can resurrect immediately where you died with no penalty
- no corpse recovery
- no armor system
- no attributes
- no classes
- stealth is easier than ever
- can insta-kill from behind or from above

Wunderbar

Arcane
Dumbed down comparing to what?
It's not a souls game, it's just a medium budget action-adventure with stealth elements.

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
- no stamina bar
- you can resurrect immediately where you died with no penalty
The poise bar functionally works like a stamina bar, it's just reversed in that it builds up rather than drains.
Also From did say there was going to be a penalty, they just haven't mentioned what it would be.

polo

Magister
'Dumbed down' didn't even play it.
I mean, its not a souls game, they've said it would not be an rpg many times.
I mean you could complain about duming down even when the first video came out, watching how you could hook at everything in different ways.

The fighting seems like a lot of fun to me so i dont care.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
D4rK S0uLz iS th3 0nLy r34L Gam3Z.

:lol:

With how every game trying to copy the series one way or another (even fucking Darksiders 3 try to integrate Soulslike combat), it is one of the most derivative modern ARPG.

At least Form Software are making something with fresher experience. Fucks Soulsborne, gimme Armored Core next after this.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I'm not a Dark Souls fan nor do I like the games. I just love riling you people up lol, it's so fucking easy.

Needless to say DS games weren't RPGs either so GTFOH with that bullshit. Only RPGs that From's ever done were the King's Field games, which are objectively better than DS/Bloodborne popamole.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I'll try it (Gamefly), but with no SunBros to help me out, I'll probably quit and return it early. I'm not much of a "boss fighter", sadly.

Zep--

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom