Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadow Empire - planetary conquest from Advanced Tactics/Decisive Campaigns dev

Old One

Arcane
I think the whole cumbersome troop replacement system in this game could be improved a lot just by getting rid of the unit TOE restrictions. If I have 100 tanks, or 100 APCs, or 100 assault guns in my SHQ, and I want to add them to an infantry unit, just let me do it instead of blocking it because it violates the arbitrary "infantry" TOE format. There's no good reason to block me because I can get the result I want eventually just by raising a new unit and shuffling troops and equipment back and forth until it's the way I want it. Doing it that way takes a lot more fiddling is all.

Let me plug militia troops into regular army units too, for that matter. I don't see a good reason why not. Add in some kind of combat penalty if necessary.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
So this is a heavily hex and unit icon based game? I hear about it a lot but I didn't watch videos until now.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Honestly the game isn't very hard, getting airplanes to work is a bit of a problem if you aren't aware of that when genning the planet but other than that its definitely acceptable difficulty.

My main gripe is how repetitive it gets after a few runs, especially the early iron shortages...

index.php

Arcane
Shadow Empire - Oceania is coming soon

After 2 years since the release, we are glad to announce the new DLC for Shadow Empire.

During Home of Wargamers Vic, VR Design founder, announced that Oceania, the new DLC for Shadow Empire, is coming soon. It will bring new and great features to the game.

73edd7545dfc53acd0f817252cc4cc75ef6f6892.jpg

If you want to watch again the interview click here

Description:

For a long time the Planet Generation of Shadow Empire was limited to dry Planets and Planets with relatively small bodies of water. Now all is possible. You can create second Earths and even Waterworlds. Planets with many islands, or just a few continents. The new maps being generated with Oceania DLC change the feel and ambiance of the game completely. But it also changes the gameplay a lot and will make you experience a different style of game.

On top of this: the existing land-based Traders have gotten a more organised cousin with the sea-based Traders, who are known as Maritime Trade Houses (MTHs). The MTHs will allow you to explore the Oceans and secure Transport Contracts to invade and/or keep logistics flowing between different continents or islands. The MTH are of a very mercantile nature and it is also possible to acquire their stock. Once a shareholder you can use Policy Meetings with the MTH to influence their attitudes and Dividend payments.

Features:
  • With Oceania the Procedural Planet Generation can now generate much more diverse Planets
  • Gaia Planet Class now available
  • Thalassa Planet Class now available
  • Proteus Planet Class now available
  • Fontus Planet Class now available
  • Maritime Trade House (MTH) mechanics
  • MTH Stock-trading, Policy Meetings, Dividends & Auctions
  • MTH Transport, Explore and Makeshift Port Contracts
  • MTH Naval warfare for sea supremacy
  • Naval logistical points allow amphibious invasions and transfers

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
So it turns out this game is easy as shit as long as you know the dirty secret mechanic.

Scrap Strategems, using the "Scrap Mode" checkbox on the Strategem menu lets you make a ton of obscenely strong cards. The key is that they have unique abilities. Now it is slightly less OP if you don't savescum for the right cards but even if you are too pure and virtuous for that it is still OP as fuck.

You get special "specific leader type" recruitment cards and also "profile boosting cards". The second one is the most OP. Perma 90 in all your key profiles? Yup.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
from fiddling with the files of the game, stratagem cards generation it's rng for the most part. So savescum for it it's not viable.
On scrapping then, it's not wise for the mid long term given the price increase increments.

Beowulf

Arcane
Game is easy once you know how to handle logistics and that light tanks are the king up to mid-game in most terrains.
Good leader stratagems are the cherry on top, but you can't reliably rely on gimmicks.

Multiplayer is a different beast though, where much is decided by your starting position.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Game is easy once you know how to handle logistics and that light tanks are the king up to mid-game in most terrains.
Good leader stratagems are the cherry on top, but you can't reliably rely on gimmicks.

Multiplayer is a different beast though, where much is decided by your starting position.
The long ass turn times are barely tolerable in single player, can't imagine what kind of mental damage causes someone to want an even slower experience.

Beowulf

Arcane

The long ass turn times are barely tolerable in single player, can't imagine what kind of mental damage causes someone to want an even slower experience.
One would think, that taking your time to think on your turn was one of the axioms of PBEM games dominion.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

One would think, that taking your time to think on your turn was one of the axioms of PBEM games dominion.
PBEM multiplayer is just as bad as any other kind. Everything takes ages. Whereas in single player you can finish a whole game in a couple days.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
The long turns keep the riff-raff away, IMO.
Long turns and dice rolls don't keep me away, unless you mean from MP which is bad and ruins strategy games anyways. They do annoy the shit out of me, though. Dude would be rich if he dumped the dicerolls and shortened the turns.

passerby

Arcane
PBEM multiplayer is just as bad as any other kind. Everything takes ages. Whereas in single player you can finish a whole game in a couple days.
Simultaneous turns like Freeciv is the only tolerable multi for turn based 4x imo, it flows only maybe 2x slower than singleplayer.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Man this game is such a pain with the RNG. Maybe the RNG covers for otherwise too obvious deficiencies in the mechanics? That is pretty common for wargame and wargame adjacent games. I've finally achieved my goal of getting the 80 Government and 90 Meritocracy bonuses. I am super OP now. Though I'm running into a cashflow issue. Traders seem to have way fewer credits than they used to and I kept my high worker wages afloat selling machines woops.

Sadly it turns out you can expand your industrial might much faster than you can grow population to pay taxes. Unless you run commerce I guess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom