Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Commandos-Like Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun - Commandos clone with ninjutsu theme

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There are just millions of games today. Used to be you could buy a newspaper and read it for half an hour and you knew all the news. Nowadays that's not possible. You're either a front page headline or you're "and the rest".

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Either they are blind to it or don't want to acknowledge it aloud, but if you ask me a sizeable chunk of their problems with "reach" could be related to their shitty title. "Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun" not only sounds like some shovelware shitgame, it's also misleading as hell - with all the other "XXX TACTICS" games out there, it makes it sound like another neuxcom clone. If I didn't hear about the game on the 'dex and saw the title somewhere, I'd probably just ignore it completely and keep scrolling.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Either they are blind to it or don't want to acknowledge it aloud, but if you ask me a sizeable chunk of their problems with "reach" could be related to their shitty title. "Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun" not only sounds like some shovelware shitgame, it's also misleading as hell - with all the other "XXX TACTICS" games out there, it makes it sound like another neuxcom clone. If I didn't hear about the game on the 'dex and saw the title somewhere, I'd probably just ignore it completely and keep scrolling.
You say that as if there were a large number of nuXCOM clones :D

zool

Arcane
So with everything aligning to the new setting and ninjas, why would the game be called Shadow Tacticswith only a light reference to the setting in its subtitle Blades of the Shogun – we don’t even have “Ninja” in the title. Truth is we and Daedalic wanted to think big and create an IP that allows for more than one setting.This is something very common nowadays in larger productions e.g. Assassin's Creed, Total War etc. For a small studio this is a bit more risky because it often means your game title is more generic. But we love the idea of exploring different settings, and we now have an IP that lets us do that. So if we ever get the chance to make “Shadow Tactics: Legions of Rome”, that’s one less thing to worry about.

Seriously, this is great news. They already have the engine ready, they got the gameplay right - no need to change anything there - and a dedicated fanbase. Now all they have to do is to change the setting, keep the same production value and cash in!

Roman empire would be great but there are a lot of other exciting options too.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Shadow Tactics is currently 50% off on Steam. Commandos successor? Must be time for a new stealth game!

http://lmgtfy.com/?s=d&q=shadow+tactics+unity

54a3b223de.png

...SIGH. I run this check for absolutely every game I consider buying now, and most of the time, this pops up. You can escape AAA, and you can escape Unity, but you rarely can escape both.

Andhaira

Arcane
Damnit, why am I only now finding out about this game? Like Commando's but with Ninjas and Samurai? Gimme!

If only they would have made this turn based, so it would take real strategy instead of save scum crap...

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If only they would have made this turn based, so it would take real strategy instead of save scum crap...
Reminds me of my experience with Commandos and similar games.
I tried a few times to get into them, but it really is just: Try something, fail, reload, try something else, fail, reload, ... you can eventually progress through the game like that and if you are not mentally challenged you will have less reloading the better you get.
But what is supposed to be fun about the experience I never understood, these games have always been somewhere between boring and frustrating to me.

Good that there are people who like them, though. Keeps Daedalic afloat, which means that they might eventually produce another game that I like.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But what is supposed to be fun about the experience I never understood

have you considered that mayhap you are playing it wrong
:lol:
What is there to play wrong? It's not like these games are the pinnacle of complexity.
Even if I didn't have to reload at all (or rarely) and everything went just fine:
I just don't understand why anyone has fun with that.

But I don't understand why people do a lot of things. Like soccer, looking at cars, getting wasted...
Maybe I'm just strange ;)

Last edited:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Reminds me of my experience with Commandos and similar games.
Turned based would make it way too easy and there is a quick action/shadow mode where you can queue actions and execute them at the right moment. It's the perfect balance. Besides, games like these stimulate your brain: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4130645/

BTW, it always triggers me that games like these get negative reviews for being too hard:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/beats2reason/recommended/418240/
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198039072934/recommended/418240/
etc.

zool

Arcane
Everytime I see this thread revived, I hope that it's because a sequel has been announced...

:negative:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
It's not like these games are the pinnacle of complexity.

and yet...

Try something, fail, reload, try something else, fail, reload
So?
That's how you learn in games, at least at the beginning.
Fail, reload, do it better. Fail at the next thing, reload, do it better. At some point you have pretty much done it all (or enough to know how something new could work) and don't need to reload that often any more.

Why am I explaining this to you? Have you ever played a game before?

In these particular games, I just don't see the fun in the concept.
While you are learning the ropes, it is pretty frustrating.
Once you get what is going on, it becomes boring.
In contrast to other games, there was never anything in-between, at least not for me.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
- THE ONLY WAY TO PLAY THIS KIND OF GAME IS EXCESSIVE SAVESCUMMING

- uh maybe you suck

- WOT U MEAN, ITS NOT LIKE DIS IS PINNACLE OF COMPLEXITY (ALSO I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW I FINISHED DARK SOULS, THE MOST DIFFICULT GAME, OVER 7 TIMES)

- and yet you have to savescum this all the time

- YEAH LIKE EVERY OTHER GAME WOTS WRONG WITH U MEN :^)

ok

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
- THE ONLY WAY TO PLAY THIS KIND OF GAME IS EXCESSIVE SAVESCUMMING

- uh maybe you suck

- WOT U MEAN, ITS NOT LIKE DIS IS PINNACLE OF COMPLEXITY (ALSO I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW I FINISHED DARK SOULS, THE MOST DIFFICULT GAME, OVER 7 TIMES)

- and yet you have to savescum this all the time

- YEAH LIKE EVERY OTHER GAME WOTS WRONG WITH U MEN :^)

ok
I love how you completely ignore any point I made to focus on the one point that I never made :lol:

That's not a strawman, it's a straw castle with straw guards wielding straw pikes.
Are you the straw king?

Okay... For the odd chance that you're not just shitposting and really just had a stroke and your brain is lacking some oxygen:
The only thing I said about save scumming was that it is the only way to proceed in those games when you are new to them. Which should be kinda obvious, given that you know nothing about the rules yet. Same for almost any game, so the only weird thing about my statement is that it is so obvious it is probably unnecessary to say.

Anyway, after that initial time, you know how everything works (how people move, typical patrols, etc.) and the games become boring as fuck - I mean, come on! Send a few people around, knock out single opponents at a time, wait until you can move unseen, do some objectives. Yawn. Where is the challenge here?
Hence my wonder that anyone derives any joy from them, but maybe they do it for the story? Like playing an adventure game - I could understand that.

PS: I DID beat Dark Souls! In contrast to these games, it actually required a modicum of skill and attention.

Edit:
Uh-oh, the fanboys are coming. Better dig in!
:bunkertime:

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's still great game

I never said it wasn't. There are such things as good games developed with shitty engines, like say New Vegas for example, but Unity is utter trash and its ubiquitousness is becoming REALLY obnoxious.

But what is supposed to be fun about the experience I never understood

have you considered that mayhap you are playing it wrong

It's not like these games are the pinnacle of complexity.

and yet...

Try something, fail, reload, try something else, fail, reload

That's literally how the game was designed to be played. The developers have said so, the tutorial tells you so, the UI flashes a quicksave timer at players unless you opt out of it, and the way the puzzles are set up (for a puzzle game is what this game is, essentially) encourages it.

Not a swinging Richard on the Codex has ever finished this game the first time through without either loading a few times on most or all stages, or sitting around like a pillock for minutes making absolutely sure they've accounted for everything before leaving the bushes.

Is it POSSIBLE? Yes, but only for someone who's already very experienced. Right here you're the equivalent of some faggot bragging that he can beat so-and-so action game without taking a single hit, headshotting every enemy, etc. Your mouth is writing checks your ass can't actually cash for the purpose of winning some gay argument.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
What is with this retardation? These games will be completely different beast turn based, ie, shit. The challenge lies in them being real time and using the tools to get through. They are a mix between puzzle and tactics. Make them turn based and you have to redo the whole game and how it works.

Bunch of retards complaining while knowing nothing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom