Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei V - It's been hurting my OCD.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
If you want to play a good SMT game, the best ones BY FAR are SMT1, SMT: Nocturne and SMT: Strange journey. SMT1 is the one with a proper occult atmosphere, but is very very old. As for Strange journey be sure to play the original version, not the terrible remake.
Thanks, it was my fault really, for expecting a game with 30 fucking dollars of day 1 dlc to be good.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
If you want to play a good SMT game, the best ones BY FAR are SMT1, SMT: Nocturne and SMT: Strange journey. SMT1 is the one with a proper occult atmosphere, but is very very old. As for Strange journey be sure to play the original version, not the terrible remake.
Thanks, it was my fault really, for expecting a game with 30 fucking dollars of day 1 dlc to be good.
Keep in mind most of those are wizlikes. If you want something more like a traditional jrpg play Nocturne. Personally V and Nocturne are the only two of the mainline games that I like because I'm not into wizlikes.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
SMT4+SMT4A have probably the best combat but other than that those games don't have much going for em

TheSoul

Scholar
Wanted to get into mainline SMT after playing Persona 5, since an occultist setting is way more appealing than a high school setting, so I decided to try the newest game in the series. I'm about 15 hours in and I gotta say, this game is mediocre in every way. The checklist gameplay that makes up 80 or 90% of your gameplay is extremely boring and repetitive, I'm not sure why this type of design has become so common lately but I'm really sick of it. At least other collectathon games are open world so you can enjoy some freedom and sandboxing, this game is a collectathon without the strength collecathon games usually have. Maybe there are dungeons later on in the game but the game really needs them. The story is weird so far, side quests are cool, but all the cutscenes are extremely weird and stilted and pointless so far. The combat is unfortunately extremely easy and repetitive. Every boss can be defeated with the same strategy: 1. die once and use spyglass to figure out it's abilities 2. fuse demons that target it's weaknesses and a support demon that's resistant to it's attacks 3. spam the crit matsuhashi and your best damage skills 4. use the absorb item every time the boss uses it's matsuhashi. Apparently lategame bosses are extremely hard so I assume that changes later on but it's very disappointing that none of the bosses so far have unique strategies or gimmicks. Actually the game would be improved massively by removing the critical matsuhashi, or making it a lategame unlock.

Also fuck the level scaling (is that the correct term?) Having to grind to be within a few levels of every boss so that you won't get fucked by level based damage/defense modifiers is extremely annoying.

I'd recommend Devil survivor, smt 4 or digital devilsaga 1. SMT V isn't a good entry point, I still stand by my statement that it lacks mainline's strengths and that open world is 90% why.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
SMT5 is a stinker. I was taking copium pills throughout the entire game waiting for it to stop trolling me and become good at any moment. Then the end credits rolled.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Devs need to stop being retarded with muh open world everywhere. SMT V could've been good if they focused on normal dungeon like usual SMT. Instead you have this abomination where you farm and knock vending machines for free healing over and over, in empty open world with copy pasted overworld model like I am playing some grindy Korean MMO

flyingjohn

Arcane
grindy Korean MMO
Nah,it is Pokemon.Most of the new staff are probably fans and they just implemented their own version of nu Pokemon exploration.
The SMT is like Pokemon but with demons meme probably comes form Japan as well,which is very wrong gameplay wise.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Weird how suddenly everyone is complaining about the open world and lack of dungeons when the real problem with the game is that they brought in a bunch of stuff from Etrian Odyssey, which made the game too easy. That was really the only bad thing about it.

Tigranes

Arcane
I mean, SMT4 overworld wasn't really much better despite not using the nuPokemon or whatever formula. Run around collecting and fighting colossally ugly giant pixels in a largely indistinguishable landscape. The only real criterion for a good SMT overworld is a sense of danger and desolation, and SMT5's issue was having way too many crutch items especially as the game went on.

tentanz

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I got bored and dropped it some point in the second trip through da'at. Not a fan of anything but the music. I sucked everything out of the gameplay grinding to lvl 24 in the first zone lol

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
SMT-30th.jpg

30th anniversary concert is happening today and tomorrow. Last time they celebrated the 25th anniversary they announced SJ Redux and showed off SMTV stuff.

SMTV Maniax teaser today? SMTV PC port?

quixotic

Learned
There was a supposed leak a while back that I found on the chans that they’re (allegedly) porting IV and IV:A to PC. It had a screenshot showing that it was all on one screen, the UI was changed to accommodate that. Probably fake but you never know.
I just want a new game… I liked V but it’s obvious that it suffered heavily from mismanagement and negligence, it has left a void in me that hungers for more Megaten.

Sentinel

Arcane
SMTV is such a trainwreck I wouldn't really give a fuck if it got ported to PC. You can already emulate it at 60fps/4K fairly easily. What is the point?

Port/Remake Strange Journey instead.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
I am more interested in a SJ port as well, but a PC port of SMTV seems to be more likely, tbh.

Terra

Cipher
Won't expect much more than a concert in japan and maybe a pack of stickers personally, seems about par for the course with Atlus.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
If Persona anniversary is anything to go by , we gonna get some Shin Megami Tensei soap and Shin Megami Tensei brush teth.

Soon the megami tensei franchise will go next level just like YuGiOh

tumblr_lnevziwqbb1qdez0b.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom