Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei V - It's been hurting my OCD.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
That's a great moment in SMT4. I don't remember the exact dialogue, but you get a message from your handler after stepping out into the open and he says something like "You've finally reached it, the cursed city of demons. They call it... Tokyo." And then this music kicks in:

Fun fact: in the art book for SMT4 it's revealed that the developers/artists wanted to slap hints of a modern civilization (Tokyo) all over the dungeon where you face Minotaur, but Kaneko forbid them from doing so and insisted that the Tokyo reveal be a big "twist" in the game.

Absolutely based Kaneko.

Very based indeed, although I'm not sure that an SMT game, much less a numbered one, taking place in Tokyo could be considered much of a twist. The reveal was well done from a story telling and world building pov, but it's not like I slapped my cheeks and gasped.

Agreed on how they handle level-scaling being a huge deal. I burned out on SMT5 originally because of it. After an unnecessarily long fusing session right before entering the final area, a few random encounters showed me that I was vastly underleveled and I'd need to do more fusing in a couple of hours. The skills for all of my demons had been hand-picked meticulously, and being hit with the reality I'd have to do so again a scant hour or two after leveling up just stopped any motivation to play in its tracks.
Poison ticks were hitting my demons for nearly their entire health bar, it was ridiculous.

Probably my fault for being so autistic with my fusing, but oh well. I'm looking forward to this.

Daily Demon videos are back!

The Demon being teased at the end looks like Master Therion (assuming he's not already in vanilla V). If that's the case it seems like they removed a certain aspect of his design, if you catch my drift

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
They are introducing DLC demons from the base game as well. Can't wait for the Cleopatra one. :^)

d1r

Patron
God I wish that was me.

Screenshot (179).jpg

d1r

Patron
It seems like that they are introducing the Fiend demons as well

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Listening to the SMT4 an 4A tracks posted in last page gave me itch to play some SMT. Atmosphere in SMT3 and 4 is great.

Maybe I will jump on the new SMTV

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Saving anywhere doesn't really change anything in SMT5.
Eh, I've heard people say that about anything, right up to and including savestates in something like a Mario romhack requiring inhuman precision. "I'd have totally gotten it right eventually, I'm just saving a bit of time." The only time saving on demand doesn't change anything is when you're playing ironman.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Saving anywhere doesn't really change anything in SMT5.
Eh, I've heard people say that about anything, right up to and including savestates in something like a Mario romhack requiring inhuman precision. "I'd have totally gotten it right eventually, I'm just saving a bit of time." The only time saving on demand doesn't change anything is when you're playing ironman.
SMT5 essentially already has save anywhere which is why it's a non issue. You can teleport anywhere at anytime to a warp location and save. This doesn't consume any item or MP. Running back to where you were is trivial as there is no danger in SMT5s travel. Most bosses have a warp location close to them. The slippery slope argument doesn't apply anymore when we're already at rock bottom.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
What's a good starting point in the SMT series for a newbie other than those bland looking dungeon blobbers of the first two games on NES and PSX1? III? Creature fusion is not a typical mechanic of western RPGs, especially as an important strategy to win, but the japs are crazy about the idea. I tested V out in the latest Ryujinx Switch emulator build and it seems to run very well, a full smooth 60 FPS whereas I see people on the actual switch hardware complaining about framerate drops. I tested Persona 5 Royal also in emus but that game seems to go full anime retard with far too much spit and shine and I think I'd prefer the more low-key aesthetic of SMT III and V. The lastest Dragon Quest Monsters game (THe Dark Prince) also has a bewilderingly complex monster fusion system with hundreds of different monster permutations. They do love their monster melding don't they? Maybe if I could understand it it could be fun.

Poseidon00

Arcane
What's a good starting point in the SMT series for a newbie other than those bland looking dungeon blobbers of the first two games on NES and PSX1? III? Creature fusion is not a typical mechanic of western RPGs, especially as an important strategy to win, but the japs are crazy about the idea. I tested V out in the latest Ryujinx Switch emulator build and it seems to run very well, a full smooth 60 FPS whereas I see people on the actual switch hardware complaining about framerate drops. I tested Persona 5 Royal also in emus but that game seems to go full anime retard with far too much spit and shine and I think I'd prefer the more low-key aesthetic of SMT III and V. The lastest Dragon Quest Monsters game (THe Dark Prince) also has a bewilderingly complex monster fusion system with hundreds of different monster permutations. They do love their monster melding don't they? Maybe if I could understand it it could be fun.
I find SMT 1 and 2 the most enjoyable of the series, definitely don't sleep on them. If... isn't bad either, but 1 and 2 are seriously memorable, amazing video games.

You can ignore the earlier ones, and if not, do the SNES remake (Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei I believe)

I answered this question in the Persona thread, I think it mostly depends on what type of game you're looking for.

If you want to start with the mainline games, Nocturne, IV, and V are all fine to start with. I recommend starting with a mainline game, because the spin-off franchises all use mechanics derived from them. Popular consensus is that Nocturne is the best one. I would avoid the SNES SMT games until you're a bit more familiar with the series, they're not necessarily bad, but they're quite outdated.

If you like Dungeon Crawlers, Soul Hackers or Strange Journey.

If you like social sim/visual novels, Persona 3, 4, 5, or Catherine.

If you want a more traditional party-based JRPG, Persona 1 and 2, or the Digitial Devil Saga games.

The Raidou Kuzunoha games are ARPGs but most people seem to think they're pretty mediocre. Still fun if you're into that kind of thing.

scytheavatar

Scholar

SMTIV is the most accessible of the SMT games, sort of a middle ground between the plot lite SMTIII/V and that "full anime retard" of Persona 5.

d1r

Patron

SMTIV is the most accessible of the SMT games, sort of a middle ground between the plot lite SMTIII/V and that "full anime retard" of Persona 5.
The beginning of the game is very rough though. But otherwise, I'd agree, SMTIV is kino, and a great start to the series.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Seems like SMT IV it will be then to ease me into the jRPG monster fusion genre. I did play a few minutes of the Digital Devil Saga series on PCSX2 a few years ago and found it good though I could feel its difficulty ramp rising.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom