Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei V - It's been hurting my OCD.

Nathir

Liturgist
I just beat hydra yesterday at lvl 14. Took me several attempts and it was definitely a challenge. The run I won I used a dark dampener to block his magatsuhi empowered poison breath, Mermaid with stormcaller song did most of the heavy lifting. Started on hard, and I think it was for the best as it's challenging in a good way. Normal would have probably been way too easy. Really enjoying this so far, more than I thought I would. Thanks again d1r . Starting the game was a little weird though, as you have to touch a girls hand in a dream to choose the story you will play out. And only after you make a choice you get the explanation what it's all about.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
He's not fucking around.

Ni8yjim.jpeg

oOBNGDy.jpeg

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Since there are new people playing SMT5, and because demons now have new innate passives that may depend on turn order, I thought I'd give a protip that seems to elude many players: the turn order of your party is not dictated by Agility, but the order that you place your demons in the party screen. Nahobino can also be freely moved around and doesn't have to be the first one to move in combat.

As a bonus protip: Luck is a very viable stat for your Nahobino if you want to play an Ailment / Support build, which can be quite strong in this game. All bosses can be hit with some Ailments so you'll never run into an issue where you are dead weight. Some bosses may also be completely locked down with Ailment spells and/or Magatsuhi abilities. SMT5 is so far the best game in the series when it comes to build variety and viability.

d1r

Patron
Actually, I was wrong about the OST being "only" four hours long. It's actually nine hours (SMTV+SMTVV).

Sentinel

Arcane
https://github.com/Lyall/SMTVFix

General​

• Skip intro logos/movie.
  • Enable developer console.
  • Remove 60FPS cap in menus.
  • Adjust player camera distance/fov/height.

Ultrawide/Narrower​

• Remove pillarboxing/letterboxing.
  • Correct FOV at any resolution.
  • Centered 16:9 HUD.

Graphical Tweaks​

• Adjust resolution scale (screen percentage).
  • Enable TAA.
  • Adjust shadow resolution.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Gonna start this tomorrow.

How does the diffulty feel compared to the OG game?

d1r

Patron

Feels easier, though that may be because the level scaling has been altered, since I was always underleveled when playing original SMTV. The difficulty curve on HARD is great nontheless. I am only slightly min/maxing, and am staying around the same LVL the enemies are, and bosses and trash mobs are still a challenge in third area of the game.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Feels easier, though that may be because the level scaling has been altered, since I was always underleveled when playing original SMTV. The difficulty curve on HARD is great nontheless. I am only slightly min/maxing, and am staying around the same LVL the enemies are, and bosses and trash mobs are still a challenge in third area of the game.
I think it's easier in the parts where it needs to be easier and slightly harder where it needs to be harder. That is to say normal encounters feel normal and by the time you get to the boss fights you aren't outscaling them hard due to how level scaling worked. The curve feels smoother with bosses being less trivial, though obviously nothing impossible if you know what to expect. That's about everything I expected/hoped when they talked about the changes. The Vengeance specific bosses are designed in a way that they almost feel like the bosses are using the same tricks that a clever/tactical player would use against the game, so they're a bit more involved in solving how to crack them. One thing I've noticed is that your demons die pretty fast and easy now thanks to level scaling not doing all the heavy lifting for survi, so expect to summon demons from your stock more often than you might be used to, which is great.

Anyway, the new Shinjuku Da'at themes.. :mca: The soundtrack in Vengeance is phenomenal at creating the ambiance that the game is going for.

frajaq

Erudite
Since there are new people playing SMT5, and because demons now have new innate passives that may depend on turn order, I thought I'd give a protip that seems to elude many players: the turn order of your party is not dictated by Agility, but the order that you place your demons in the party screen. Nahobino can also be freely moved around and doesn't have to be the first one to move in combat.

As a bonus protip: Luck is a very viable stat for your Nahobino if you want to play an Ailment / Support build, which can be quite strong in this game. All bosses can be hit with some Ailments so you'll never run into an issue where you are dead weight. Some bosses may also be completely locked down with Ailment spells and/or Magatsuhi abilities. SMT5 is so far the best game in the series when it comes to build variety and viability.

Do we know if the party order affects enemy targeting priority?

notpl

Arbiter
What are you people smoking where Hard difficulty is "well-balanced"? It's just a flat multiplier on all incoming damage, and enemies are balanced around Normal. Your MC will get one-shot straight through a guard and defense buffs if you get unlucky with multi-hit attacks or the AI simply decides to spend all its press turns targeting him (which is itself RNG, the enemies have no targeting priority) - that's anyone's idea of fun, in a game where the MC getting knocked out is an instant game over?

quixotic

Learned

Do we know if the party order affects enemy targeting priority?
It didn’t in the original V and as far as I know it doesn’t in Vengeance.

quixotic

Learned
I found that 5 was a weak entry, storywise. I am not sure what to make about the new version.
I just got to Shinjuku and I’d say so far it’s definitely better. The human cast is getting room to breathe this time around, in the original V the only human characters that really had anything going for them personality and motivation-wise were Dazai and Yakumo.

notpl

Arbiter
The internet says Luck improves your chances of landing status ailments, so I thought I'd try a status-focused luck MC, but it really isn't panning out as described. With a small investment into Vitality and everything else going into Luck, I'd say my nahobino lands status effects against bosses 10% of the time or so, unless a boss has a specific weakness to one. A total waste of a turn to even attempt it, and a waste of levels trying to boost it. I'd even be interested in seeing some cheatengine/data mining info to confirm if luck is a factor at all.

quixotic

Learned
The internet says Luck improves your chances of landing status ailments, so I thought I'd try a status-focused luck MC, but it really isn't panning out as described. With a small investment into Vitality and everything else going into Luck, I'd say my nahobino lands status effects against bosses 10% of the time or so, unless a boss has a specific weakness to one. A total waste of a turn to even attempt it, and a waste of levels trying to boost it. I'd even be interested in seeing some cheatengine/data mining info to confirm if luck is a factor at all.
Luck builds usually are support-orientated, if a boss resists or nulls ailments that you’re using it’s better for you to stick to buffing and healing, and maybe occasionally doing a bit of damage. Luck also boosts anything that’s chance based in battles, like your crit rate and evasion.
Going all in on ailments and foregoing everything else isn’t something I’d recommend.

d1r

Patron
I think it was 0.2% chance of Ailment infliction per point. So you would need 500 LCK points for 100% ailment success rate.
What are you people smoking where Hard difficulty is "well-balanced"? It's just a flat multiplier on all incoming damage, and enemies are balanced around Normal. Your MC will get one-shot straight through a guard and defense buffs if you get unlucky with multi-hit attacks or the AI simply decides to spend all its press turns targeting him (which is itself RNG, the enemies have no targeting priority) - that's anyone's idea of fun, in a game where the MC getting knocked out is an instant game over?
That always has been the case with the SMT series on HARD and above. HARD is best suited for people who know what they're doing, so that things like that won't happen (even if you get unlucky). :smug:

HappyDaddyWow!

Educated
Well...yeah hard difficulty is hard. Just play on normal if you can't handle it.

HappyDaddyWow!

Educated
I was on vacation with family all weekend and just got back home, had the game preloaded on steam so I was able to put a few hours in. Some initial thoughts as a series veteran playing 5 for the first time:

1. PC version is very well optimized. I have a mid-range PC and I'm still able to run the game on high settings.

2. I'm not very far into the game but I already like the open-world. The series experimented with open level design in the past (especially with the tunnels in Nocturne) so it feels like a natural change. Reminds me a lot of Breath of The Wild, in a good way (Miman being roughly analogous to Korok Seeds for example).

3. If you're completely new to the series, the first hour or two has a pretty good tutorial period. It teaches you the basics but doesn't yap too much. I usually get really annoyed by forced tutorials but I didn't mind it in this.

notpl

Arbiter
I think it was 0.2% chance of Ailment infliction per point. So you would need 500 LCK points for 100% ailment success rate.
That doesn't seem likely, since it would mean most entities have a <10% chance of applying status effects under normal circumstances, which is obviously not the case.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom