Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei V - It's been hurting my OCD.

quixotic

Learned
I'm not very far into the game but I already like the open-world
It’s not quite open-world per say since Da’at as a whole is mostly linear (which is far from a bad thing), but yeah, V’s got the best exploration out of any 3D Megaten imo. It’s rewarding, it’s fun, and there’s some decent vistas.
Reminds me a lot of Breath of The Wild, in a good way (Miman being roughly analogous to Korok Seeds for example).
I think Miman are strictly better than Koroks simply because what they (and Gustave) give you is worth the time you took to find them throughout the game, whereas Koroks suffer from diminishing returns.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
The internet says Luck improves your chances of landing status ailments, so I thought I'd try a status-focused luck MC, but it really isn't panning out as described. With a small investment into Vitality and everything else going into Luck, I'd say my nahobino lands status effects against bosses 10% of the time or so, unless a boss has a specific weakness to one. A total waste of a turn to even attempt it, and a waste of levels trying to boost it. I'd even be interested in seeing some cheatengine/data mining info to confirm if luck is a factor at all.
I think it was 0.2% chance of Ailment infliction per point. So you would need 500 LCK points for 100% ailment success rate.
That doesn't seem likely, since it would mean most entities have a <10% chance of applying status effects under normal circumstances, which is obviously not the case.
It's probably base % chance + % LUCK value. But I really don't know how its exactly calculated. I just heard that 1 LCK gives you 0.2% of ailment infliction.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Bros, would you say this is a good game to become acquainted with the SMT / Persona franchises?

The game is unreasonably expensive on Polish Steam. However CD Keys has it 32% cheaper and I'm considering trying it out.

d1r

Patron
Bros, would you say this is a good game to become acquainted with the SMT / Persona franchises?

The game is unreasonably expensive on Polish Steam. However CD Keys has it 32% cheaper and I'm considering trying it out.
Probably the best way to get acquainted to the series.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Probably the best way to get acquainted to the series.

Not sure I agree. I'm playing SMT Nocturne right now, and even compared to a couple of years of playing older jRPGs, that game has a great deal of annoying shit/lack of QoL which makes me glad I started there so I don't have to move backwards, annoyance-wise.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, its not like I'm likely to explore the past games if I like the "new" one. Have rather limited play time and am quite picky what I play.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
I restarted after I beat Hydra, disabled the fucking Mitama DLCs and now it feels like a SMT game. I wasn't aware that they'd warp the game that much.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The internet says Luck improves your chances of landing status ailments, so I thought I'd try a status-focused luck MC, but it really isn't panning out as described. With a small investment into Vitality and everything else going into Luck, I'd say my nahobino lands status effects against bosses 10% of the time or so, unless a boss has a specific weakness to one. A total waste of a turn to even attempt it, and a waste of levels trying to boost it. I'd even be interested in seeing some cheatengine/data mining info to confirm if luck is a factor at all.
I think it was 0.2% chance of Ailment infliction per point. So you would need 500 LCK points for 100% ailment success rate.
Don't forget that your Affinity increases the ailment proc rate. I'm not sure if it's a multiplier on the base chance or if it includes your Luck as well, but at +5 Affinity you get an extra 35% chance to inflict Ailments.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

I disagree with the statements about this being a good entry point, 4/A, Strange journey or even Nocturne are a better starting point. I would suggest them in that order, people love nocturne and for good reason but it's also a bit of an exhausting play imho.

All are also available a lot cheaper if you get my drift.

Devil survivor 1 (OC) is also a really cool game to get into the setting and some of the mechanics, it was my entry after playing the SNES SMT years before and those are a bit hard to recommend.

Nathir

Liturgist

Start with SMT 1.

HappyDaddyWow!

Educated

Persona is quite a bit different than mainline SMT, it's not nearly as difficult and half the gameplay is visual novel/life sim. If you're interested in Persona you can start with anything after Persona 2.

For SMT, just ignore what everyone is saying here and start with whatever mainline SMT game catches your interest. The mechanics are similar enough between games that it doesn't really matter where you start for the main series. Keep in mind though, the early SNES games are obviously very dated.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
btw Haplo I'm playing Persona 3 Reload as well and while it's very, very fun it's definitely not as complex as SMT. It's very good at getting you hooked on the whole fusing thing in both franchises though.

frajaq

Erudite
probably dumb question but do healing spells scale with Magic? wish I could see formulas behind stuff :negative:

tHIbnlN.png

Hobo Elf

Arcane
probably dumb question but do healing spells scale with Magic? wish I could see formulas behind stuff :negative:

tHIbnlN.png
Yes. Funnily enough the best heal spells always give you your max HP amount of health so Magic and Pleromas (passive skills that increase spell damage or healing) become redundant.

quixotic

Learned

tHIbnlN.png
Yes. Funnily enough the best heal spells always give you your max HP amount of health so Magic and Pleromas (passive skills that increase spell damage or healing) become redundant.
If you plan to be a healer in the early game magic’s usually the way to go.
Of course there’s a rare item in the game that lets you respec now, so there’s no need to fear that you’ll gimp yourself.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Do you guys prefer single heals or full party if you were only picking one spell? Sometimes the cost of the latter seems pretty high in longer fights. I’ve kept Angel on the main line from level ~10 to 23 now as it’s nice to have a dedicated healer, but it also feels like it would be better to have 3 offensive and 1 ailment dealer and just give one of them a heal spell.

Might just be a personal problem as I completely avoid switching out people as it feels like a wasted turn. Maybe too casual but I wish they followed the Pokemon logic of asking to swap in someone when a demon wipes out.

quixotic

Learned
Might just be a personal problem as I completely avoid switching out people as it feels like a wasted turn
Yeah that’s a mental hurdle you’ll eventually want to get over lol, switching out and summoning are really, really useful. It only costs half a press turn so it’s far from a waste, and demons can swap themselves out. Relying on only three demons and leaving your stock in the dust for the whole game is going to put you at a disadvantage.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I’ve been changing my line-up of the other two besides Angel in between but that’s just me being obstinate about battles I guess. Thanks. I think it’s because I haven’t experimented enough to know stuff like that. I only recently began thinking about where people are situated in my line up or learning how half-press turns work (didn’t know about switching, but it took me way longer than it should have to understand why sometimes “pass” would go to the next demon and other times would just end my turn). Been awhile since my last SMT game.

Edit: Was trying to remember playing SMT4 2-3 years ago and I can’t actually remember the turn system and some other stuff being like V is. Must just be new things.

Last edited:

quixotic

Learned
SMTIV also had the press turn battle system but it also became so easy after the early game that you really could just run over everything with three demons.

d1r

Patron
https://github.com/Lyall/SMTVFix

General​

• Skip intro logos/movie.
  • Enable developer console.
  • Remove 60FPS cap in menus.
  • Adjust player camera distance/fov/height.

Ultrawide/Narrower​

• Remove pillarboxing/letterboxing.
  • Correct FOV at any resolution.
  • Centered 16:9 HUD.

Graphical Tweaks​

• Adjust resolution scale (screen percentage).
  • Enable TAA.
  • Adjust shadow resolution.
Newest version lets you increase the LOD by a huge margin. Definitely worth it!

Also, with developer mode enabled, you can type "toggledebugcamera" and can roam around and take ... screenshots. Even in cutscenes.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Do you guys prefer single heals or full party if you were only picking one spell? Sometimes the cost of the latter seems pretty high in longer fights. I’ve kept Angel on the main line from level ~10 to 23 now as it’s nice to have a dedicated healer, but it also feels like it would be better to have 3 offensive and 1 ailment dealer and just give one of them a heal spell.

Might just be a personal problem as I completely avoid switching out people as it feels like a wasted turn. Maybe too casual but I wish they followed the Pokemon logic of asking to swap in someone when a demon wipes out.
Full party. Single heals can be substituted with Beads as they are widely available but rarely needed, so you should always have some for when you do need it. It's rare that during tough encounters only one party member gets hit. Most often it's the entire party taking damage.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
Been impressed with the difficulty in the Vengeance route on Hard so far. Thought it was evening out a little too quickly in the first few hours, but nope! 14 hours in and the game just keeps throwing insane fights at me.

MakenBro

Literate
I'm glad they nerfed Accursed Poison. It was ridiculous in the original.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom