Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SIGIL II - the next Doom episode from John Romero

Boleskine

Arcane
This just started making the rounds, but Romero confirmed last month that he's working on SIGIL 2 which will be made using Doom 2's resources.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-episode-sigil-is-getting-a-sequel-for-doom-2

John Romero's unofficial Doom episode Sigil is getting a sequel for Doom 2
And more Quake will "most likely" be after that.

John Romero still isn't done with Doom; the legendary designer has confirmed he's currently working on a follow-up to his "unofficial" Doom episode, Sigil.

Announced to coincide with Doom's 25th anniversary in 2018 and released as a free megawad the following year, Sigil was designed as the unofficial fifth episode in the original Doom saga - picking up after Ultimate Doom's Thy Flesh Consumed - and treated fans to 18 brand-new, Romero-designed levels: nine single-player and nine death match.

Two years on from its release, Sigil was looking increasingly like a one-off experiment for Romero, but now - in a new video interview with Bridgeburner, lead developer on Doom total conversion The Age of Hell (skip to the 42-minute mark) - the designer has confirmed he's currently working on a sequel, this time utilising Doom 2.

Romero says Sigil 2 will feature "a lot of levels" (one work-in-progress map is described as "so fun" and "really cool") and will be "kind of like a Doom 2 version of what you felt in [the previous game]". And while Romero "can't put a date on" Sigil 2's release just yet, he adds, "I think that it'll be worth it when it comes... I want to make sure [the maps] have a really good consistency and progression and are just really challenging [and] fun to play".

That's not the only exciting news for Romero fans either; once Sigil 2 is complete, the designer says he'll be turning his attention to another classic id Software property, with new maps for Doom's seminal follow-up Quake "most likely going to be the next thing".

Last edited:

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
This just started making the rounds, but Romero confirmed last month that he's working on SIGIL 2 which will be made using Doom 2's resources.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-episode-sigil-is-getting-a-sequel-for-doom-2

John Romero's unofficial Doom episode Sigil is getting a sequel for Doom 2
And more Quake will "most likely" be after that.

John Romero still isn't done with Doom; the legendary designer has confirmed he's currently working on a follow-up to his "unofficial" Doom episode, Sigil.

Announced to coincide with Doom's 25th anniversary in 2018 and released as a free megawad the following year, Sigil was designed as the unofficial fifth episode in the original Doom saga - picking up after Ultimate Doom's Thy Flesh Consumed - and treated fans to 18 brand-new, Romero-designed levels: nine single-player and nine death match.

Two years on from its release, Sigil was looking increasingly like a one-off experiment for Romero, but now - in a new video interview with Bridgeburner, lead developer on Doom total conversion The Age of Hell (skip to the 42-minute mark) - the designer has confirmed he's currently working on a sequel, this time utilising Doom 2.

Romero says Sigil 2 will feature "a lot of levels" (one work-in-progress map is described as "so fun" and "really cool") and will be "kind of like a Doom 2 version of what you felt in [the previous game]". And while Romero "can't put a date on" Sigil 2's release just yet, he adds, "I think that it'll be worth it when it comes... I want to make sure [the maps] have a really good consistency and progression and are just really challenging [and] fun to play".

That's not the only exciting news for Romero fans either; once Sigil 2 is complete, the designer says he'll be turning his attention to another classic id Software property, with new maps for Doom's seminal follow-up Quake "most likely going to be the next thing".

Any updates on this megawad ?

I mean, besides the single level released this year, on march, "One Humanity" . Which I may or may not play, as I fear I'll get frustrated with just a demo . . .

Last edited:

Venser

Erudite
Sigil II launches on December 10

72ADF2E2-C3CB-4A67-A203-83B798421F66

Venser

Erudite
Launches on December 10

• Full nine-level SIGIL II WAD + 2 Deathmatch levels
  • Custom music soundtrack by Thorr
  • Custom MIDI soundtrack by James Paddock

F-AMF-0XcAAywpI

Ash

Arcane
I still need to play Sigil 1! Though it does disappoint me a little that he doesn't try his hand at broader Doom game design iteration and modify the core design too. IDK, even basic shit like add a new game rule & powerup or two. Yeah of course the core game is still fucking great to this day, but if nothing else, new rules, mechanics, features etc allows more level design creativity too, which you'd think he'd appreciate.

Nothing wrong with going purist too though. Probably just misses the good ole days where he could sit down and map all day without having to worry about much more than that like when he tried his hand at his own company and game with Ion Storm Daikatana, the utter failure.

Anyway, I've played so much Doom and community goodness that the thought of returning for anything but a complete total conversion (e.g the magnificent Ashes Afterglow) is hard to stomach. One day though for sure.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Limited 5.25" edition?

Where the hell did Romero find someone making new 5.25"-floppies in the 21st century?

Arryosha

Learned
Could be new old stock since they're only selling 30 copies.

Was doom ever originally sold on 5.25" floppies?

axx

Savant
Yeah in his streams he's very interactive with the viewers on chat. He said he'll be making doom2 levels next and then quake.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
He said he'll be making doom2 levels next
its funny the audience keeps saying "put a chain gunner here" and then he's like "that's doom 2.. ... .. how embarrassing"
going to be funny to see him unleash the chain gunner swarms finally. You get a hitscan, you get a hitscan everyone gets a hitscan!

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Though it's not a requirement, John suggests that you disable mouse look. I thought, "I will honor you, Father John Romero, and do just that!" But it was awful awful awful not being able to look up and about. I just can't do it, certainly not after playing Arcane Dimensions.

ferratilis

Magister
He said he'll be making doom2 levels next
its funny the audience keeps saying "put a chain gunner here" and then he's like "that's doom 2.. ... .. how embarrassing"
going to be funny to see him unleash the chain gunner swarms finally. You get a hitscan, you get a hitscan everyone gets a hitscan!
John is a legend, but let's be honest, no one does chaingunners better than the Casali brothers. They've built careers on that shit.

axx

Savant
Also from his streams - no spider masterminds in Sigil 2 (not sure if he even used them in 1). He said placing them so that they pose a challenge for the player is difficult (or sth like that).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Though it's not a requirement, John suggests that you disable mouse look. I thought, "I will honor you, Father John Romero, and do just that!" But it was awful awful awful not being able to look up and about. I just can't do it, certainly not after playing Arcane Dimensions.

I can't play without mouselook either. Call me a fag all you want i don't care.

Discovering mouselook in Quake was one of the most memorable experiences i've ever had in my life. After a mere couple of minutes of playing with mouselook i already knew there was no coming back.

Anyone who claims that playing without mouselook is a superior experience is either a retard/insane person or a poser. "You must torture yourself with shit controls because otherwise enemy sprites will look funny sometimes!" - amazing priorities on these people.

schru

Arcane
Doom and Quake did of course have horizontal mouse-look (though Quake had a dedicated full mouse-look button on the mouse too), so it's not that the ‘authentic’ way of playing them is with keyboard only. It's rather that having the vertical axis for the mouse enabled, which source ports allow, doesn't even add much in terms of gameplay in Doom, as everything was built around those sorts of controls. It may be awkward not to be able to look up or down at enemies near steep ledges, but even with full mouse-look on, the result isn't much better and the hit detection can still be rather problematic.

Neuromancer

Augur
Limited 5.25" edition?

Where the hell did Romero find someone making new 5.25"-floppies in the 21st century?
He is probably buying them from some companies that still sell old stock.

David Murray (The 8-Bit Guy) did the same for his game X-3, which you could also buy on 5.25" or 3.5" discs.

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I don't care at all for new deathmatch levels. So-so news.

I'm interested in Paddock's new (MIDI) soundtrack, as I've checked his work previously, and an off-line campaign by Romero, obviously.
:kingcomrade:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I wish Romero and his pretentious femoid cunt of a wife would just go away...
But a reunion with Carmack? That sounds alright.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom