Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter SKALD: Against the Black Priory - retro RPG inspired by Ultima

damager

Arbiter
Officer is a great class to play the game through, if somebody looking for a good class to start out.

Hydro

Educated
I haven’t finish the game yet (and I very much doubt I ever will), just left the main island, but what I’ve noticed is that there’s disappointedly little variation in how you advance your characters feat-wise. I am now currently at level 16 and I already see that I picked everything that’s appropriate and there is nothing left to pick basically as every other feat is more or less irrelevant. Hence I didn’t have to choose between options, hence it very much resembles the “Unlock more power with flavor upon advancement” where you unlock every feat upon an end game. This is more or less true for all the classes I currently have in my party.

Another disappointing thing level-wise is that past a specific point the game becomes ridiculously easy to the point of encounters becoming a chore.

As I haven’t finished the game yet, I think it would be unfair to judge its writing and plot, but so far I’m not finding myself overly enthusiastic. I think the overall premise is decent, but it’s just too aligned towards this Lovecraftian thing and it’s not well balanced by something more mundane or digestible like I dunnou a fantasy stuff and shit. At some point the game starts to make you question the reality and that’s the most questionable thing imo. I suspect there’ll be some weird ass reveal later, but for some reason I’m not looking forward that much.

Pacing is good tho. The game doesn’t restrict you too much, while not overwhelming with a lot of stuff. On the other hand there’s not that much to explore, and at times it feels too linear.

Not a big fan of the overall style. Guess there’s a nostalgia thing for this type of art and sound, but I am thankful to be blessed with beautiful looking and sounding games in my early teens so I don’t have to adore this dark age tech.

damager

Arbiter
Early and even up to mid 2000's 3D games looked horrible though so unless you are 10 I'm not sure what you on about.

What really helped me to enjoy the graphics more was disable the weather effects. I thought they were just distracting from the pixelart.

Castozor

Augur
It's obviously up to you and your enjoyment at the moment but if you left the big island you might as well finish the game IMO. I personally think the game looked fine, although technically needing a highlight button for interactable objects is a bit of a cop out.
I felt the last few levels didn't really reward me much as well, but as you said you don't really need the power up at that point anyway. I hope he improves on some of these things for the sequal.

Hydro

Educated
It's obviously up to you and your enjoyment at the moment but if you left the big island you might as well finish the game IMO. I personally think the game looked fine, although technically needing a highlight button for interactable objects is a bit of a cop out.
I felt the last few levels didn't really reward me much as well, but as you said you don't really need the power up at that point anyway. I hope he improves on some of these things for the sequal.
I know it’s not much left there, I just kinda don’t feel I want to proceed. I don’t care about the plot and I’m not enjoying the combat anymore plus I’m really annoyed by the gimmicky music and art, soo.

I think it would have been a much better game with a free exploration plus managing a ship minus the bizarre setting. I mean you can have as many Cthulhu as you want, while I can go spend a night in a tavern without purple tentacles and weird shit.

Hydro

Educated
Early and even up to mid 2000's 3D games looked horrible though so unless you are 10 I'm not sure what you on about.
3D/2D is irrelevant. I’m talking Baldur’s Gate, HoMM iii, Fallout and Homeworld. All of them majestic both visually and sonically.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I know it’s not much left there, I just kinda don’t feel I want to proceed. I don’t care about the plot and I’m not enjoying the combat anymore plus I’m really annoyed by the gimmicky music and art, soo.

I think it would have been a much better game with a free exploration plus managing a ship minus the bizarre setting. I mean you can have as many Cthulhu as you want, while I can go spend a night in a tavern without purple tentacles and weird shit.
This is pretty funny since the setting is the only thing this game has got going for it. If you take it away, what's left? Do you seriously want not-forgotten-realms, again?

Hydro

Educated

This is pretty funny since the setting is the only thing this game has got going for it. If you take it away, what's left? Do you seriously want not-forgotten-realms, again?
Not necessary. Myth’s setting for example is pretty cool while being dark and brutal. It’s all about balancing stuff.

I’m curios though, what happens next after leaving the main island? I’ve got to this cider festival which hints on some time dilation thing and dropped the play-through after a couple of fetching quests.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Finished the game.

Tacgnol

I'm not sure Gallian and the other old Emperors had anything to do with the game's main plot at all. The false golden tomb in the Priory might actually be false - a red herring and a front for the Priory's true purpose. The Navigator in the ship seems to be a far more ancient being than the Empire. It seems likely that Gallian's Ascension is related somehow, but the endgame pointedly avoids mentioning anything about it despite earlier foreshadowing in the Horryn Crypts.

This out-of-date lore post from 2019 may or may not be relevant: https://www.skaldrpg.com/2019/11/worldbuilding-regarding-the-history-of-the-gallian-empire/

Also:

I think the the time loop stuff is just a fourth wall breaking reference to multiple playthroughs.

Last edited:

rojay

Scholar
Also:

I think the the time loop stuff is just a fourth wall breaking reference to multiple playthroughs.
I think it's about relativity of time and destiny, not real time loop.
What's the distinction?
I was a little annoyed by the idea that everything I experienced had happened before, with our characters just playing it out. If what we did in "winning" the game was so hard and so unusual, then how many times did it end "badly"? Did the "bad" ending not end the cycle? Why not?

I finished the game last week and I enjoyed it overall. I'm glad it wasn't longer, though, because it had become more of a chore than fun by the time I hit the end game. I'll buy a sequel if he makes one, probably.

Falksi

Arcane
Also:

I think it's about relativity of time and destiny, not real time loop.
What's the distinction?
I was a little annoyed by the idea that everything I experienced had happened before, with our characters just playing it out. If what we did in "winning" the game was so hard and so unusual, then how many times did it end "badly"? Did the "bad" ending not end the cycle? Why not?

I finished the game last week and I enjoyed it overall. I'm glad it wasn't longer, though, because it had become more of a chore than fun by the time I hit the end game. I'll buy a sequel if he makes one, probably.
Good point. I actually think the game's length was utterly perfect myself, finished at just the right time.

I really wish that more RPGs were in that 15-30 hour range again.

damager

Arbiter
I would have really enjoyed 3-4 more really strong and creative combat encounters instead of the puzzle stuff. I loved the final fight an the
alien ship
though

Besides that the climaxe came pretty much at the right time, yes

Last edited:

damager

Arbiter
I think it's at least two. "The village" and "the tower". I liked both a lot. Edit: Oh I guess the village is the cider festival.

But I don't really understand your critique though.

I think the overall premise is decent, but it’s just too aligned towards this Lovecraftian thing and it’s not well balanced by something more mundane or digestible like I dunnou a fantasy stuff and shit.

Isn't the cider festival exactly what you were missing? For me that whole island was executed perfectly. I was rather exhausted from the horror setting when coming there. And the setting lured into a false sense of security. They gave hints here and there, but just when I wanted to forget them and was totally immersed they dropped the hammer on me. It was awsome.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe it's because I played one right before it, but the way this game is constructed reminded me of a fan-made NWN module. It's very trim, but with systems that feel like they're designed for a larger adventure.

I think the overall premise is decent, but it’s just too aligned towards this Lovecraftian thing and it’s not well balanced by something more mundane or digestible like I dunnou a fantasy stuff and shit.

Isn't the cider festival exactly what you were missing? For me that whole island was executed perfectly. I was rather exhausted from the horror setting when coming there. And the setting lured into a false sense of security. They gave hints here and there, but just when I wanted to forget them and was totally immersed they dropped the hammer on me. It was awsome.

SKALD feels the most like an idyllic fantasy adventure when you run into a merchant in the wilderness and hear this music:

(These encounters don't really make sense tbh, who are they even trading with?)

damager

Arbiter
There's basically only one settlement on the island yeah.

I definitly could have a bandits, goblins, dragons and castles Skald adventure on the mainland though. Would be pretty nice, especially with the writing of the creator :incline:

Mainquest should be about putting the freelenders into ghettos for what they have done to the northern outskirts of the empire!

Last edited:

Hydro

Educated
It isn’t. The game hints that it might be an illusion or some shit. It should be an illusion because it would be very out of place otherwise, basically resembling a starting location which is not aware of the shitshow unfolding across a small strait.

damager

Arbiter
I don't know man it feels like you really want to find flaws. It's not like other games have so much better writing, it is the contrary

I basically reject most games I try, but immersing myself in this and enjoying it was really easy

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
The inhabitants of Firgol are in some kind of phase shifted limbo state. They snap out of it after the Carnivale, try talking to the NPCs then.

Falksi

Arcane
Maybe it's because I played one right before it, but the way this game is constructed reminded me of a fan-made NWN module. It's very trim, but with systems that feel like they're designed for a larger adventure.

SKALD feels the most like an idyllic fantasy adventure when you run into a merchant in the wilderness and hear this music:

(These encounters don't really make sense tbh, who are they even trading with?)

Just listening to that music is making me want to play it again.

A sequel can't come soon enough.

Castozor

Augur
It isn’t. The game hints that it might be an illusion or some shit. It should be an illusion because it would be very out of place otherwise, basically resembling a starting location which is not aware of the shitshow unfolding across a small strait.
Well maybe I'm too jaded but I was wating for the other shoe to drop the whole time in that village. It was just TOO wholesome considering the rest of the game. Still it was a nice change of pace while it lasted. Which I think might be the main flaw with this kind of story/setting, it's hard to convince me things will work out THIS time because the genre generally doesn't allow for those kind of moments.

rojay

Scholar
Well maybe I'm too jaded but I was wating for the other shoe to drop the whole time in that village. It was just TOO wholesome considering the rest of the game. Still it was a nice change of pace while it lasted. Which I think might be the main flaw with this kind of story/setting, it's hard to convince me things will work out THIS time because the genre generally doesn't allow for those kind of moments.
I was waiting for the other shoe to drop, too, because it was telegraphed pretty clearly by comments from party members as I recall. I don't remember specifics, but didn't at least a couple of party members comment how strange it was that the inhabitants were seemingly unaware of what was going on around them? Then there was the lead-up to the carnivale, where the noble woman was clearly alluding to something "big" about to happen. The story in this game was on rails and the fact I enjoyed it anyway (well, right up to the end) was impressive.

Russia is over. The end.

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Haven't started the game yet, but I find the graphics too pixelated. Clearly this wasn't meant to be played as is.

Toyed with CRT shaders, got this result, which I find satisfying: https://imgsli.com/MzAwMTY1
It gives saturation to the bleak colors, plus adds scanlines.

At closer look, the character gets a face:
9de11f7e94fa420deb06129da1da7737.png

If you want to reproduce it:
  • Get ShaderGlass https://github.com/mausimus/ShaderGlass/releases
  • Depending on your resolution, select Input -> Pixel Size: 4 if you're at 1080p or 8 if you're at 2160p
  • In Shader->Choose: select Presets/crt-geom-simple
  • In Shader->Parameters:
    • Color: 6500K
    • Gamma In: 2.2
    • SRGB,SMPTE: 3.0
    • Distortion: 0.0
    • Scanline Weight: 3.5 (or 4.0, a matter of taste)
    • Input Gamma: 2.2
    • Mask Brightness: 1.0
  • In the game, select full screen. This is the same as "x4 scale" at 1080p, or "x8 scale" at 2160p
  • (don't enable the in-game "CRT shader")
  • Alt+Tab out of the game
  • Enable fullscreen in ShaderGlass (Ctrl+Shift+G) and Alt+tab back over to SKALD
The dithering they're employing probably imitates c64? In which case we should blend the pixels by simulating a composite connection, but while this looks great with the main menu art, I don't think it's suitable for the game itself. The text becomes too unreadable, plus a lot of sprites don't look good - the information gets lost instead of getting enhanced.
The character's face for example gets lost:
3e5d33d5f4e30df7502cdaa7598922bc.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom