Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter SKALD: Against the Black Priory - retro RPG inspired by Ultima

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Navigating the UI in this game is a Kafkaesque nightmare.

Do you want to know what the skill Thrust and Parry does?

click hotlink

Thrust and Parry:
"Adds condition: Defending"

click hotlink

Defending:
"Adds Status Tag: #Defending"

click hotlink

#Defending:
"Adds this character's Defend Bonus to their Dodge when defending"

click hotlink

Defend Bonus:
"The bonus that is added to Dodge when defending"

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

GloomFrost

Arcane
Codex bros I strongly recommend you to check out this little hidden gem of a game. First of all Lore, writing and atmosphere!!! Honestly puts all the recent "big" RPGs to shame. I mean we are talking Age of Decadence level of quality. But don't worry its not storyfaq game. The combat, party management and exploration are solid. Nothing spectacular but more then adequate. Around 20 hours in and really enjoying it and just you wait till you get to a small village called Firgol. WOW proper Witcher 1 vibes and that music is so mesmerising. Definitely a GOTY contender for me.

damager

Arbiter
XdStUEQ.png

This game is so incredible based

damager

Arbiter
This glownigga Zed Duke of Banville is really searching the forum for (((( to rate the posts. Imagine that man...

I didn't find Horryn so bad. It's important to use the back way through Oleg's base get to the thieves den merchants. Way faster. I had doubts about putting Embla in my party too with my PC Magos. I had her replace Iago since he's forced to leave the party regardless. This is the point in the game where casters are established though, so you'll be fine. It was an asset for me actually.

damager

Arbiter
This is the point in the game where casters are established though, so you'll be fine. It was an asset for me actually.

Hey man exactly. I specced her full on fire + extra attun and cascades and she's a really fun addtion to my air/earth mage. It's actually really fun as a mage lover to have her around now triple cascading crowds with fireballs. Especially as I never used a firespell before

Iago was a great companion, but it's nice to have him sailing the ship and some artellierie is just what I need. I surprised again and again how well everything clicks together in this game. I call codex GOTY 2024

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What's the alternate way of procuring food for the refugees other than nicking the sheeps? I ran all over the place and didn't find anything.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Strange Fellow You can buy supplies from the smugglers at their cave in to the NW. This resolution had some bugs associated with it. I don't know if it's been fixed or not.
It mostly worked for me when I did it, the only possible bug I got was that the son of the sheep farmer got stuck in the hidden glen after the quest had been resolved and I couldn't find a way to progress the quest to get him home, although maybe that's not a bug and his father just hates him that much.

Castozor

Augur
I'll be honest, just google that one. I got it eventually but even then I only half got the riddle right so I had to do a few tries.
Or if you want, here it is: Have them pointing "towards" each other in a clock wise fashion.

Castozor

Augur
It's obviously still a good game and all but that little sequence did remind me that I really dislike puzzles and riddles in most games.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Wow!! The ending is bloody depressing. Really reminds me of King of Nothing/Second Apocalypse novels. Now this is how you create a proper dark atmosphere. Hats off to developers, thank you for such a great experience!! And another good thing that the game is not bloated and finishes just before the combat gets repetitive. No huge walls of texts, no boring lore dumps, no gigantic dungeons that take hours to complete, no cringe romances and no "progressive" companions with daddy issues. The game does things right on so many levels. If there is ever a sequel its a day one purchase for me.
:excellent:

damager

Arbiter
I just ended it too. Big spoilers ahead.

The ending (everything after encountering brood mother) was at the same time the best and the weakest part of the game. Fighting brood mother would have been a nice test of all my equipment and skills I aquired. IMO I got spells like diamond skin and magical masterwork fullplate so that she does not oneshot me, so that was a led down. And I really thought the puzzles killed the atmosphere and were a waste of time. Who would hide an ancient god behind an operatus of statues you put all into the same direction. It's just such a bad trope.

The last fight and Rolands sacrifice were awsome though. And everything what followed after entering the portal too. Loved the last area. Loved were the story went and the ending slides. Really great way to wrap this up, I was not disappointed. Ended on a high note!

I read somewhere that one of the stretch goals of the kickstarter was another act on the mainland. I supsect to confront the cabal of the freelanders. I would have really enjoyed exploring that side of the story too! The writing in this game was really refreshing. Parts of the stroy were really thrilling and some of the character really came to life while reading. But combat and systems were really solid too. Some of the spells were really satisfying to use and gearing out characters was a lot of fun. I really didn't like the graphics much at first (I'm just a few years to young for Ultima6), but they grew on me more and more. In the end I would have not want it another way. The pixelgrahic slides in between were always highlights.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Update! https://www.skaldrpg.com/2024/08/project-update-full-control/

Project Update: Full Control!​

Greetings all!

As summer rolls into fall, it’s time for a sign of life!

First of all, I’ve been a bit quiet over the summer as I’ve taken the time to rest and recover post-launch. Skald took a lot out of me and I was pretty burned out by the end. Thankfully, the game has been a success so it’s been worth it.

However, I have indeed been fully back to work now for a few weeks and things are moving ahead with a new update!

I’ll release more details as we get closer but as a little sneak-peak, I can tell you that I’m doing a huge lift for controller and Steam Deck play!

I love playing the new version on the go with my Steam Deck!

We’re also adding a good handful of bug-fixes and minor features as well as adding in some character options, portraits and a dozen illustrations that we didn’t have time to get in there before launch.

This update will drop at the end of September (and a week earlier on the experimental branch so stay posted)!

Beyond that, the road-map for the rest of the year is pretty much laid and there is some really cool stuff coming up that I can’t wait to share with you! But one thing at the time…

To stay posted, be sure to follow the Skald Twitter and Discord if you haven’t already!

Cheers!

AL

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom