Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter SKALD: Against the Black Priory - retro RPG inspired by Ultima

Sloul

Savant
I'm close to finishing it, having spent a bit more than 30 hours, which confirms that I'm extremelly slow at finishing games.
I did farm vendors to get some items, like fully loaded movement points for Kass.
You clearly want to get Evasive and Footwork asap on her, it makes backstabbing quite easy to set up in most situations.

As written before me, last tier of Fire magic gives Fire Immunity, which makes casters immune to spellburn dmg.
One of the most useful spells are summons, which allow to easily set-up backstabbing, while also soaking dmg from enemies.
You can easily disrupt adverse spellcasters by summoning something next to them.

But yeah, combat is still minimalist, as well as most mechanics through the game.
The big point remains its plot & atmosphere.

Hydro

Educated
It is indeed okay. A bit too gimmicky style-wise, lacking depth combat-wise and reactivity RPG-wise. It’s fun nonetheless. Okay-grade fun.

Sloul

Savant
Finally made it to the end, so... what did I miss?

MV5BOGJkY2EyOWYtYWRmNy00ZTEzLTllMDAtYzYzYjA0ZjFhZWJjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTUzMDUzNTI3._V1_.jpg
flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg
MV5BZGI0NDMwNjAtNGEzNC00MzA1LTlkMjQtYjBkYTZlZjAyZWEyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzkwMjQ5NzM@._V1_.jpg

damager

Arbiter
Saw this on styg's twitter and as he's the only contemporary gamedeveloper I respect I gave it a shot.

I like it so far. Great atmosphere and writing. I dislike all the descriptive text though. I would have prefered if they would have shown more stuff just with the sprites instead of text.

damager

Arbiter
Is it possible to backstab with a light axe or does it only work with daggers and short swords?

I have to say I like this better and better. The systems click well together. Stealth is really intuitive. It's addicting to explore and make little progress that feels meaningful.

Last edited:

damager

Arbiter
Really digging this. Obsidian should throw out their 5 danger hair writers and Sawyer and hire this guy. If you would combine the production values of PoE with these systems and writing you had a real hit on your hand. Keep the grid though.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Really digging this. Obsidian should throw out their 5 danger hair writers and Sawyer and hire this guy. If you would combine the production values of PoE with these systems and writing you had a real hit on your hand. Keep the grid though.
Yep. If the budget was a bit higher to add more meat to the game it'd be a classic.

damager

Arbiter
Gm4b67A.png

Whats up with this? I found a corpse in it and stripped a key of it. But when I go the same way back as I go in I always drown. Is this even doable?

Edit: Okay I found the room on the other side now the corpse must be just bait ;)

Last edited:
damager Yes. Remove your armor. You want your encumbrance to be as low as possible and athletics of at least, 7 or 8 I think. I believe there is a bug where only your MC's values count. If you can force open or pick the chest in the NE corner of the cave where you found this entrance, you don't need this key. Backstab can be done with any weapon to my knowledge, but Thieves don't have any feats/abilities which will improve their accuracy or damage with them over base.

damager

Arbiter
Hm. I can't do it. Even without armor or Roland selected

Edit: Ah I guess I have to make Roland party leader too

damager

Arbiter
Hm I still can't do it. Even with roland as party leader. He has athletics 7 and is wearing no armor...

All my chars are naked including helmets :? And the chest is pretty much impossible to open without pretty bad savescumming.

On level 5 I can get another point in Athletics for Roland. I guess that's the only possiblity to open the chest. Return after level-up.

damager

Arbiter
Oh but I can try to force open the chest without armor for more athletics. Interesting! Two big weapon upgrades from this cave awsome! And a recipe for mana pots.

damager

Arbiter
So. I need once again ask your for your financial support.

About poem in the lighthouse. I can't fine a single tree in the lighthouse area to start my bounty hunt. For a second I thought they mean the cross on the crave, but than I remembered it must be the fresh grave from the boy of the lighthouse.

Where is the motherfucking tree?
Oh the center of the three!

Any hints?

Last edited:

notpl

Arbiter
The treasure is much closer to the screen transition where you enter the map than to the lighthouse itself.

damager

Arbiter
Yeah thanks. I was just fighting the encounter associated with it. These guys are very strong though. I might have to come back later

damager

Arbiter
Okay I rested and buffed us up with motivated. Lets give it another shot

Edit: Got em down with almost all my consumables :P

Last edited:

Castozor

Augur
Yeah that puzzle stumped me as well, one of 2 in the game that I shamelessly searched online. The other one I coulda figured out by myself in hindsight but at that point I just wanted to finish the game. Puzzles are never my favourite in RPG's.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Did anyone else seriously overthink the four-cornered temple puzzle? Lol I was legit taking notes of the wall reliefs and shit.

Castozor

Augur
Did anyone else seriously overthink the four-cornered temple puzzle? Lol I was legit taking notes of the wall reliefs and shit.
Yeah that's exactly what happened to me. Turns out my initial thought was right, but heh. Don't want to spoil too much. Chances are Damager will much like me play this once and then take quite some time for a replay.

Modron

Arcane
It happens, in Underrail I initially tried to balance the subtractions in the Mutagen Puzzle.

TheDarkUrge

Educated
Puzzles shouldnt require so much backtracking, that puzzle could be super annoying if you are stumped. I think I just brute forced it and got lucky the first try guessing how it worked.

damager

Arbiter
I'm at the ship wreck now. I could hire a mercenary and make him a healer in addition to my three other guys. But something tells me I'm about to meet some kind of healer NPC in the game soon anyway...

Though the guy on the title screen looks more like a paladin type. Decisions, decisions...

I'm also not too happy with the spells I picked on my mage. I'm basically just spamming magic missle. I really need to find somebody sellling spells. :cry:
I wish I had known about the library at the beginning of the game. But I hate flashbacks so I just read the dialogue asap and wanted to get back into the action again.

Last edited:

damager

Arbiter
This is ridiculous. I made Holly, the Champion Acolyte. And after rolling her for like 20 minutes I ofc meet Driina the Hospitaller Acolyte that wants to join my party, in the next area. I fuckin knew it... time to reload and get some meatshield.

Castozor

Augur
Well depending on how you kit her, Driina was a decent meatshield herself for me, so you might not need another.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom