Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim gameplay stream impressions.

Vb

Novice
Captain Shrek said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8wPlYw-zAg

I hope he's playing on easy or else Shite.

Considering that spell creation is apparently out, and that the player is a pure mage, that fight seemed disappointingly trivial, difficulty and tactics wise. Seems like Skyrim continues to exhibit Bethesda's typical breaks in logical design: Named dragon bosses with thick armor, aerial mobility, foot-long fangs, huge claws and flame breaths seem pushovers compared to a solitary giant armed with a tree branch.

ZeniBot said:

Jenassa: Nerevar guide me!

CbM1G.png

I help those who help themselves, bro.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Captain Shrek said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8wPlYw-zAg

I hope he's playing on easy or else Shite.
That's actually better than what I was expecting based on comments read here. I mean, at least the dragon appears to be putting up a fight.

The guy mentioned he's the arch mage, so he's at least a moderately leveled character. Just fyi.

Data4

Arcane
So I read somewhere that there was going to be a Dunmer city in the game, yet I've seen nothing even remotely resembling a graphically updated version of Hlaalu, Velothi, or Telvanni building styles, or any combination thereof. Anyone able to confirm/deny?

Gord

Arcane
Interestingly, the companion (?) in this video seems to have been killed by the dragon. So perma-death for companions?

bonescraper

On 11.11.11 i'm soooo going to play... LA Noire.

Fuck this Bethesdian pseudo-rpg piece of shit. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. Shame on all of you even mentioning Oblivion 2: Skyrim on the forums of our prestigious magazine. It should be ignored and forgotten.
:rpgcodex:

Data4

Arcane
Data4 said:
So now, what was a different and rather interesting take on dwarves according to Tamrielic lore has been rendered Tolkienesque. Fucking assholes.

This time the raging against Skyrim is without reason. What you're seeing is the Nord town that was built on top and/or around an old Dwemer structure. When you go further into one of the main administrative buildings you start descending into the actual Dwemer ruins and encountering their architecture.

It was in a preview vid a few weeks ago, saw a couple inactive Centurion Spheres before they moved onto something else.

CrazyLoon

Prophet
Castanova said:
Not only will Skyrim have infinite dragons, it will have infinite quests as well:

:what:

Great, random kill and fetch quests are exactly what we need.

Peter

Arcane
Castanova said:
Not only will Skyrim have infinite dragons, it will have infinite quests as well

I wonder if we'll get Arma-like audio to go along with this. Everything has to be voiced, after all.

Dovahkiin, you need to CLEAR, the MINE, NORTH, of here of BANDITS.

It was cool in Daggerfall, but it will suck on Skyrimjob roflXD

Gord said:
Interestingly, the companion (?) in this video seems to have been killed by the dragon. So perma-death for companions?

Well, "companions" are just random people you recruit, so I guess only your wife / husband will be essential.

iluvatar

Novice

I really hope there's a mod to improve dragons fairly swiftly. Being able to kill them with ease so early on in the game completely undermines the idea of them being powerful enemies and basically just renders them as slightly better animated Cliffracers.

Though I guess the kiddies will naturally want to gather souls early on in the game so they can use Dragon Shouts Magic Repackaged. :roll:

Suchy

Arcane
Code:
I am <questGiver.getName()>, servant to the mighty <getLocalGuild().getMaster().getName()>. I have been instructed to find guild members to protect him while he lies in a spell trance. <getLocalGuild().getMaster().getName()> suspects that a rival of his may send assassins to slay him while he is helpless. He will give you <getRandomReward(QUEST_TYPE_EASY)> if the assassins are stopped.
Will you take up this quest?
[YES]                  [YES]
Familiar, isn't it?

You can get shouts from inscriptions in ruins, too. One could gather weaker "shouts" that way, and only later in the game he would be able to face dragons for better ones.

edit: That guard by the door is like "Fuck it, they don't pay me enough for this shit. You deal with him."

Sordid Jester

Educated
Clockwork Knight said:
You can get shouts from inscriptions in ruins, too. One could gather weaker "shouts" that way, and only later in the game he would be able to face dragons for better ones.
Those are only the words, by the looks. A player has had a shout-word in their 'spellbook' but it can't be activated without getting a dragon soul first, in the videos.

Donno if that's for each word in a shout, or simply for each shout overall.

Turjan

Arcane
iluvatar said:
I really hope there's a mod to improve dragons fairly swiftly. Being able to kill them with ease so early on in the game completely undermines the idea of them being powerful enemies and basically just renders them as slightly better animated Cliffracers.
Even if I see the noble attempt to save the reputation of dragons behind your request, I don't want to end up with cliffracers that force you into boss battles every 10 meters.

In principle, the whole concept of dragons in this game seems like an irredeemable mess. I had that feeling already when I saw the first game trailer that showed an attacking dragon. The only thought I had when I watched it was: Why doesn't that dragon just push this stupid Dragonborn down the steep cliff that he so conveniently stands at and eats the remains afterwards. The animation of the landing dragon suggests something heavy. The dragons seem to never use their considerable momentum in battle though. Stupid.

Gord

Arcane
IMHO they should let you kill a few (like 2-4 max) dragons easily by following certain quest lines, because you either get help, like a squad of soldiers, or heavy artillery or fight an already weakened dragon.

All the other dragons should basically be out of limits until you are high level.

Xi

Arcane
It appears that the heal spell he cast, right before the fight, was a bit over powered. It simply negated any and all damage. I think the real issue with the challenge in these games is that they never offer any real over the top, hard as hell, style fights.

I mean, at first most players will probably struggle a bit, but then you break free and the game becomes a cake walk. They need to design content for players of high to maximum level and scatter the encounters to the most distant regions of the map. IMHO, they could solve a LOT of the issues they are having by switching to a more static, hand placed monster/loot system. The scaling seems to just work against the fun factor and takes away the freedom to design an encounter to be difficult.

Cool battle though. The magic system seems far improved from the previous games.

Stabwound

Arcane
Any word on whether or not the PC version will have a different menu system? The XBawks one we see here looks insanely consolized and very awkward for use with a keyboard/mouse.

I still look forward to this game, anyway.

Bahamut

Arcane
Stabwound said:
Any word on whether or not the PC version will have a different menu system? The XBawks one we see here looks insanely consolized and very awkward for use with a keyboard/mouse.

Nah we will get same shitty interface,
and o yea the install is 5,2gb so we will be stuck with shitty console quality textures too, and yet i foresight CTDs and memory leaks

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom