Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

Saxon1974

Prophet
Playing skyrim now with a bunch of mods. I like these kind of open world sandbox games.

Even though I think skyrim is a better game than oblivion due to it being less copy and paste locations it still feels like too generic in many places. Forts all look the same and are almost all full of bandits. Most dungeons look the same and are filled with draugrs. Some locations are unique though so its improvement from oblivion.

One of my main complaints are that most quests are useless. They don't give xp or skill boosts and often don't have any loot that is worth the effort. The rewards also suck, many quests give you like like 100 gold...pretty pointless when I have 8ka gold.

I don't think this game is as boring as oblivion was but its still a bit boring. I think/if the quests were a bit harder but much more rewarding the game would be much better.

And story and dialog I knew would suck as they always do in Bethesda games

Saxon1974

Prophet
I installed the ENB lighting mod and holy crap what a difference it makes in the game. So it may be a hiking mod but its now a very pretty one

ScreenShot70.jpg

ScreenShot51.jpg

ScreenShot72.jpg

ScreenShot73.jpg

ScreenShot68.jpg

Saxon1974

Prophet
This one here. I modified the heck out of the enbseries.ini file until I got it how I liked it though. The stock one that installs with this still looks WAY better than based game if your pc can handle it. It adds some fog effects that really kill FPS so I had to disable those mostly.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/11318

I also added some games that make enemies harder and that game is a pretty nice challenge and a good exploration game.

The photos I listed from photobucket arent nearly as good as they look on my pc though, so they must not be HD quality on the free photobucket site.

Thane Solus

Arcane
"Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way"

But it has goats, i mean err, dragon, insect sex in it?!

Anyway the only good things about oblivion were those lovely forests, that mod with that swedish girl npc and the castle, the addons...
Skyrim is a little better, still shit tho, but the only mainstream sandbox, so i give them that...

FU TOD HOWARD!

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Saxon1974 Looks nice, can't see myself enjoying the view for any more than a few minutes, though. Just remember though Skyrim tards aren't as bad as say, Call of Duty tards, where even army grunts complain that there is lack of mission planning, as in, even front line soldiers think it's dumb. But let's not get sidetracked this thread deserves a post once every six months or so.

I enjoyed the game for about a week before it turned lame, that's significantly quicker than Oblivion, which lasted about 2 weeks before the boredom hit. Now Morrowind had me going for months straight and I even considered myself a fan to a moderate extent, yet the devs killed their own franchise by dumbing their games down and making them far too easily accessible for my taste. Sucks but hey shit happens, Todd decided to listen to the more casuals.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Was able to add some larger images to the post above. The images dont really do justice to how good it looks on screen.

I'll probably get bored of the game soon, but I'm having fun with exploring around the world. If you install enough mods that game is decent i think.

Also, dont play the game without this combat mod. It makes the combat 100 times better and more realistic instead of just button mashing.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/2700

Gord

Arcane
I think everyone should've got used to Todd either lying or having no fucking clue whenever he opens his mouth.

Exactly.
Hey, wouldn't be surprised too much at this point if it turns out that he actually has this mental illness that makes you a chronic lier.

Reminds me, there's this Firefox add-on that replaces all youtube comments with random combinations of "herp derp" - someone should make on that does the same with Todd's words.

:hearnoevil:

By the way, am I the only one who's kind off disappointed with the Skyrim modding scene so far? Sure, there are some nice enhancements available for graphics, but most of the mods that fix more essential stuff (like UI and more importantly gameplay) don't seem to make much progress.
Also, as far as I can tell, not much in terms of quest/story mods so far (sure those take time, but hey, CK is out for some time now).

Bahamut

Arcane
I think everyone should've got used to Todd either lying or having no fucking clue whenever he opens his mouth.

Exactly.
Hey, wouldn't be surprised too much at this point if it turns out that he actually has this mental illness that makes you a chronic lier.

Reminds me, there's this Firefox add-on that replaces all youtube comments with random combinations of "herp derp" - someone should make on that does the same with Todd's words.

:hearnoevil:

By the way, am I the only one who's kind off disappointed with the Skyrim modding scene so far? Sure, there are some nice enhancements available for graphics, but most of the mods that fix more essential stuff (like UI and more importantly gameplay) don't seem to make much progress.
Also, as far as I can tell, not much in terms of quest/story mods so far (sure those take time, but hey, CK is out for some time now).

CK is one big bugged clusterfuck, also there's no proper 3d export/import plugin

According to Giskard (guy who did Kvatch Aftermath, Origin of the Mages' Guild, etc), the CK is shit compared to even Oblivion's. It's like they took the old Construction Kit and combined it with that abomination Dragon Age had to work with. And they're only now getting around to taking care of bugs like the one that's plagued Navmeshes since FO3.

Get used to lots of mods recoloring clothes or sizing them for the latest boob-heavy nude mod, with only the occasional worthwhile entry.

I miss Morrowind's Construction Kit. Still not really all that great, but compared to what anyone has to work with now...

Deleted member 7219

The guys who made Nehrim, what are they using?

Also, there's an Elsweyr mod which is supposed to be pretty good, what was that built in?

The real modders don't whine, they mod. Rome: Total War didn't have a modkit yet there are dozens of excellent total conversions out there.

The guys who made Nehrim, what are they using?

Also, there's an Elsweyr mod which is supposed to be pretty good, what was that built in?

The real modders don't whine, they mod. Rome: Total War didn't have a modkit yet there are dozens of excellent total conversions out there.

Yes, but there's also nothing wrong with making sure your CK is simple to use, and reliable enough that people who have the ideas but lesser technical skills can still create something worthwhile. If one of the chief selling points of the PC version is its mod scene, you should probably make sure that it's easy to create content filling in the gap between 'EEC Dressing Gowns' and 'Game of Thrones Total Conversion'. Nehrim-scale projects take a lot of time to make, and it's nice to to have something to play during the wait.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yes, but there's also nothing wrong with making sure your CK is simple to use, and reliable enough that people who have the ideas but lesser technical skills can still create something worthwhile. If one of the chief selling points of the PC version is its mod scene, you should probably make sure that it's easy to create content filling in the gap between 'EEC Dressing Gowns' and 'Game of Thrones Total Conversion'. Nehrim-scale projects take a lot of time to make, and it's nice to to have something to play during the wait.
I disagree, if the guy can't navigate himself around a modkit to create his mod, chances are that his mod wont even work correctly or simply be shit. NWN had a very easy to use modkit, yet 95% of what was made with it were amateur modules that no one cared...

IMHO, ideal modkits should be like the SourceFilmMaker that Valve just release; it has a very long learning curve and will keep the unwashed masses away, but will offer a fantastic and powerfull tool for those who master it. That way you garantee a higher quality for community productions and keep servers free from countless shitty mods made by noobs.

Kahlis

Cipher
I've modded TES games on and off since Morrowind and I don't quite get the claim that Skyrim's CK is less intuitive than Morrowind's. The interface is crude and I still don't understand why Bethesda can't implement a simple WASD free-camera mode for navigating about in the render window, but nothing that was there in previous iterations of the CK is worse off. Remember, Morrowind modders don't have worldspaces or even a tree list view for the objects panel. There may be more to learn now than in 2002, but I wouldn't say anything is really worse.

There's probably two main reasons why Skyrim's mod community is so moronic. The first is because it's much harder in general to make new content of comparable quality to Bethesda's stuff, especially quests and new NPCs since you'd need voice acting and lip sync to remain consistent with the rest of the game. Never had that issue with Morrowind. The other reason is probably because all of the good modders, like us sane individuals here on the forum, are too embittered about how Skyrim is completely sterile and unfulfilling as an Elder Scrolls game and just don't think it'd be worth the effort. So they keep working on Tamriel Rebuilt. There's pockets of people who have the drive and recklessness to forge onward amidst the hostile environment of Bethesda's most clunky and un-PC-friendly game yet, and they're making great progress, but I personally am just too committed to my values and have nothing but utter contempt for the Skyrim community. It's kind of weird, but in some regard I don't feel compelled to bother helping because I feel the game doesn't deserve it.

IMHO, ideal modkits should be like the SourceFilmMaker that Valve just release; it has a very long learning curve and will keep the unwashed masses away, but will offer a fantastic and powerfull tool for those who master it. That way you garantee a higher quality for community productions and keep servers free from countless shitty mods made by noobs.

I definitely agree with you here. There's a reason there were far fewer amateur maps designed for Goldsrc engine games than Source's, because back in those days you had to hunt down all sorts of intermediate third party utilities and forage for tutorials on obscure web 1.0 message boards. Since everything's been neatly centralized on the Valve Developer Wiki, it's far too easy.

Although in the general scheme of things, brush-based engines are still pretty unintuitive and filled with lots of inimitable nuances. That's part of why I love them.

DraQ

Arcane
The other reason is probably because all of the good modders, like us sane individuals here on the forum, are too embittered about how Skyrim is completely sterile and unfulfilling as an Elder Scrolls game and just don't think it'd be worth the effort.
That's the one thing I don't quite get - shouldn't they have reached the apogee of their butthurt and burned out soon after release of Oblivion, *the* sterile and unfulfiling shit-on-its-legacy part of the series?

Skyrim, for all its faults, actually feels like a sequel (even though a severely dumbed down one) to MW and DF and honest, if misguided attempt at making an actual TES game.
Oblivion was just an outrageous, least possible effort piece of turd.

It's like stumbling into a police station after getting violently raped and complaining that you've stubbed your toe when crossing the threshold.

tehRPness

Educated
Haven't lurked this place for ages. Shit, I can't believe this thread is still alive. I wish to invent a machine that gathers all the rage and hatred of the Codex and turns into a doomsday device.

waywardOne

Arcane
I uninstalled Skyjob as soon as the opening "movie" ended. If your story is shit, you damn well better let me skip your fucking cinematics.

Kahlis

Cipher
I uninstalled Skyjob as soon as the opening "movie" ended. If your story is shit, you damn well better let me skip your fucking cinematics.
I always thought it was an attempt to railroad the backstory into the unsuspecting player's face, because they're obviously too stupid to read about the TES series before buying the game or otherwise discover anything of their own volition. :smug:

"Hey, you were caught trying to cross the border into Skyrim! THAT IS A PLACE WITH NORDS AND IT IS WHERE WE ARE NOW"
"ULFRIC STORMCLOAK, THE STORMCLOAKS ARE NAMED AFTER YOU AND YOU HATE THE EMPIRE"
"YOU KILLED THE KING USING THU'UM WHICH IS A THING"
"We're going to be killed by those damn Imperials! THEY WILL BE IN THE NEXT SECTION OF THE INTRO SEQUENCE"
"You're from Rorikstead and stole a horse! YOU CAN STEAL HORSES AND/OR GO TO RORIKSTEAD!"

And then you get to Helgen:

"Hey dad where are those people going?"
"THEY ARE BAD SON, AND WILL PROBABLY BE KILLED BECAUSE THAT WOULD MAKE THIS INTRO WICKED SICK"
"YOU, THE PLAYER, ARE AMONG THE AFOREMENTIONED BAD PEOPLE AND SHOULD BE WARY ABOUT BEING KILLED"

It was basically a cheesy exposition about the game, dictated from the first person. Just about as bad as Oblivion's quest journal entries which were a walkthrough written in first person. "I FOUND THE KEY I NEED TO TAKE IT TO THE LOCKED DOOR AND OPEN IT WITH SAID KEY"

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
an attempt to railroad the backstory into the unsuspecting player's face

this is probably what CDP means when they refer to making a complex story accessible

I'm guessing Cyberpunk will feature lots of ingame data modules that you can decrypt to learn more about the setting, and as we know lots of lore that you can read ingame means the world is richly detailed in a way that is meaningful to players

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom