Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, Baldurs Gate

Silva

Arcane
Funny thing I noticed:

There are no NPCs with normal names like john or peter or marcus in Baldurs Gate. All joinable NPCs have these unique coolz names like Vornenheinken or Awaryann or Budweisencoker.

:yeah:

Lhynn

Arcane
Funny thing I noticed in Baldurs Gate:

There are no NPCs with normal names like john or peter or marcus. All joinable NPCs have these unique special snowflake names like Vornenheinken or Awaryann or Budweisencoke. This is so 14-years old teenager trying to be cool it hurts.

Stupidest piece of criticism ive read in a while, those names go with the setting, and yes, the setting is childish, but its hardly the games fault.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
uueN26e.jpg

:rpgcodex:

Lhynn

Arcane
As i said, stupidest piece of criticism ive read in the codex so far, there have been some posts extrated from BW threads here. It a medieval fantasy setting with high magic, especially in one so multicultural as the forgotten realms, where fake japan is so close, there are so many races that dont exist irl with their own set of commonly used names, etc.
Expecting people to be called manuel, paul, or john is kinda daft.
Brawen is a name irl btw, a very common one.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
With that begin said, (vanilla, yes vanilla) Skyrim rapes solo BG2 run and eats it for breakfast (it's the other way around if it's not a solo run)
tardlink1.jpg

But the central theme of Torment is that belief is what can change the nature of man/planes, which is why it didn't matter what alignment TNO had.

But your alignment is supposed to inform the way you think, i.e., belief.

Silva

Arcane
But the central theme of Torment is that belief is what can change the nature of man/planes, which is why it didn't matter what alignment TNO had.

I think Torment is the opposite: your way of thinking (and behaving) is supposed to inform your alignment.

Lhynn said:
It a medieval fantasy setting with high magic, especially in one so multicultural as the forgotten realms, where fake japan is so close
Oh no.. not the argument "ITS FANTASY! SO ANYTHING GOES!" again, please. Glorantha and Warhammer are fantasy worlds too and are not full of retardo names out of teenager minds. Even Arcanum have more normal names, damn it.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Funny thing I noticed:

There are no NPCs with normal names like john or peter or marcus in Baldurs Gate. All joinable NPCs have these unique coolz names like Vornenheinken or Awaryann or Budweisencoker.

You do know that the BG doesn't take place in the US or England, don't you?

Silva

Arcane
J_C said:
The Elder Scrolls, Arcanum and King of Dragon Pass neither, and all have more coherent/non-fagfantasy names than Baldurs Gate.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Those names are actually pretty cool in fantasy terms. No idea why to criticize them. Compared to modern "cRPG's" these are outstanding.
Isabela, Anders, Aveline, Fenris, Bethany, Sebastian, Merrill, Varric? I would better take BG 2 companions names. They are way more unique.

Lhynn

Arcane

I think Torment is the opposite: your way of thinking (and behaving) is supposed to inform your alignment.

Lhynn said:
It a medieval fantasy setting with high magic, especially in one so multicultural as the forgotten realms, where fake japan is so close
Oh no.. not the argument "ITS FANTASY! SO ANYTHING GOES!" again, please. Glorantha and Warhammer are fantasy worlds too and are not full of retardo names out of teenager minds. Even Arcanum have more normal names, damn it.
:retarded:

:rpgcodex:Can you not into comprehension? the unique characteristics of the setting make the names apropiate.

Silva

Arcane
Those names are actually pretty cool in fantasy terms. No idea why to criticize them. Compared to modern "cRPG's" these are outstanding.
Isabela, Anders, Aveline, Fenris, Bethany, Sebastian, Merrill, Varric? I would better take BG 2 companions names.
Ok, the problem is with me then. I like fantasy that is more grounded somehow, like Skyrim and its names that at least sound nordic or something, or Arcanum with its Virgils and Magnus and Cynthias and Joaquims and Thorvalds and Sebastians, and King of Dragon Pass with its pseudo-saxon names, etc.

The traditional high-fantasy aesthetic always sounded too butterflyesque / faggy to me.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
J_C said:

The Elder Scrolls, Arcanum and King of Dragon Pass neither, and all have more coherent/non-teenagefairyfantasy names than Baldurs Gate.
youa re dumb

no seriously

this is the most retarded non-volournian argument in a long while

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Yeah, that's just different style. Also, it's not Baldurs Gate phenomena, because they used it in AD&D campaigns a lot. Can't really imagine a huge dwarf(lol) named Johnathan or epic Thayan mage called Rick.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Isabela, Anders, Aveline, Fenris, Bethany, Sebastian, Merrill, Varric? I would better take BG 2 companions names.
Ok, the problem is with me then. I like fantasy that is more grounded somehow, like Skyrim and its names that at least sound nordic or something, or Arcanum with its Virgils and Magnus and Cynthias and Joaquims and Thorvalds and Sebastians, and King of Dragon Pass with its pseudo-saxon names, etc.

The traditional high-fantasy aesthetic always sounded too butterflyesque / faggy to me.
that's funny because "silva" sounds way more faggy than any name in baldur's gate

Lhynn

Arcane

that's funny because "silva" sounds way more faggy than any name in baldur's gate
Maybe not Edwina.
PS: i thought silva was a portuguese last name.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you're actually comparing Baldur's Gate with a JRPG in terms of linearity then you either haven't actually ever played a JRPG or you're trying way too hard (or both)

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Well it is a well known fact that :codexisfor: so you won't find much understanding for the above sentiment here. A piece of genuine advice: learn to stomach made up names. A lot, and I mean A LOT of RPGs and fiction in general will have these. No reason to pass over perfectly entertaining media because of this trivial reason.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014

yeah, but in D&D, alignment was a way to decide how your character would behave in a certain situation.

Delterius

Arcane
PS: i thought silva was a portuguese last name.

It is. It means 'from the wood' and is commonly associated with anonimity, since it has been, by far, the most common family name for hundreds of years.

It also sounds 'faggy' whenever people call you by your family name, a uncommon occurrence in countries where each person has an average of three to four family names. Meaning that it often happens only in police or military corporations.
Well it is a well known fact that :codexisfor: so you won't find much understanding for the above sentiment here. A piece of genuine advice: learn to stomach made up names. A lot, and I mean A LOT of RPGs and fiction in general will have these. No reason to pass over perfectly entertaining media because of this trivial reason.

What I think would be pretty funny is if someone went for unconventional linguistics when thinking up names. Say, a place that, though maybe even close, still isn't saxon/frank/nordic that we commonly associate with High Fantasy. At least not as of late. And then people start to complain about how its all so hard to pronounce.

joshsawyer1.jpg

Gord

Arcane
A lot, and I mean A LOT of RPGs and fiction in general will have these. No reason to pass over perfectly entertaining media because of this trivial reason.

And they are still better than stuff like "Emperor Martin Septim"

They could at least have tried. Like calling him Martinus to stay with the Roman theme of the empire. But no...

(Yes, I know that Martin is just a modernized version of Martinus, but it sounds shit in context. Not that the game would have been better for it, but still)

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
What I think would be pretty funny is if someone went for unconventional linguistics when thinking up names. Say, a place that, though maybe even close, still isn't saxon/frank/nordic that we commonly associate with High Fantasy. At least not as of late. And then people start to complain about how its all so hard to pronounce.

I see your

And raise you

iwinski-kicinski-s.jpg

:troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom