Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Soulash - roguelike where you play a forgotten god set on destroying the world

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Jesus, is it my imagination or is everything so teeny weeny small?

DU0Rgiu.jpg

xeHTLDc.jpg

ra8p5gj.jpg

s2rIb10.jpg

tenor.gif

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I tried the demo. Couldn't see shit. Played for two minutes, then uninstalled. Might be good, but that doesn't matter when even Jackie Chan or whoever that is(yes, yes that Community guy), has no clue what is going on.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
I am not really that much into roguelikes but i did enjoy playing as a necromancer in the demo.
You don't have any limit on the amount of undead you can rise as long as you have corpses, it felt great unleashing my horde of zombies upon the village. A bit overpowered compared to the other character options(i tried only fallen knight and a bit of poacher).

thesecret1

Arcane
Jesus, is it my imagination or is everything so teeny weeny small?
Couldn't see shit. Played for two minutes, then uninstalled. Might be good, but that doesn't matter when even Jackie Chan or whoever that is(yes, yes that Community guy), has no clue what is going on.
How about you two just change it in the options then? It's marked as "Tile size" and basically means the zoom level of the game

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
i did goblin poacher only. Equipment wear and tear was hard and I didnt have strength to even carry axe to chop trees and create new bows.

No idea how sneaking works

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
i did goblin poacher only. Equipment wear and tear was hard and I didnt have strength to even carry axe to chop trees and create new bows.

No idea how sneaking works
You have a horrible vision range at night if you're lacking a lightsource or darkvision so i assume that with races like goblins you need to take advantage of that.
Like, wait until nightfall before attacking that village. Didn't try that myself, my own goblin poacher was a bit too cocky and died to the first boss(my only character who died btw).

Not sold on crafting and unsure about equipment durabilty. The workbenches seems to be randomized so it might be easier to find a water sack compared to dealing with the hassle of making one yourself.
Weapons breaks so quickly my fallen knight needs to constantly switch to new ones, though i am assuming it's because demo only have peasants, fishman and some passing orcs to loot from.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Having something that can craft in the early game seems to be the optimal choice. Though probably in the release version you can no longer camp at map edges for safety.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Having something that can craft in the early game seems to be the optimal choice
really hard to say... It appears mandatory if you want to do archery. Arrows do run out and crafting is required.
On other hand actual recipes that I had access to were quite weak. both craftable dagger and bow were a joke, anything found in the wilds is better.

Though probably in the release version you can no longer camp at map edges for safety.
sleeping in some inn after butchering everyone appeared quite safe!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Isn't that usually the case? Either crafted shit sucks compared to find or buy or some other variable happens:
Crafting<buy<find
Crafting<Find<Buy
Buy<crafting<Find
Buy<Find<Crafting
Find<crafting<buy
Find<Buy<Crafting

WHALE=BUY BEST AND RAKE THE ENVY OR PITY FROM OTHERS

and then there are the odd dogs like amplify whatever is in your inventory which is sort of crafting but not.

Think wizards crown old man who can amplify your weapons. Maybe hellgate london is another example and a shiton on mobile and mmo games.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Isn't that usually the case? Either crafted shit sucks compared to find or buy or some other variable happens:
except... when playing something like goblin buying isnt an option.
And if you are unlucky, dont find settlement/woodcutters soon you wont get an axe that appears absolutely crucial for a poacher.

Assuming you would like to go for just finding replacements for broken gear, its entirely possible to break your things before you find one.

For character I wanted to play wear&tear in this title is brutal.

Didnt see better crafting options, I wonder how one obtains recipes. Found bone stuff appeared quite decent and crafting those would remove need for that heavy axe

Alphons

Cipher
Didnt see better crafting options, I wonder how one obtains recipes.

When you dismantle items you have the option to get a recipe for them.

Played a Human Inquisitor- burning an enemy before he gets to you was fun.

Tried to be smart and lead a few orcs into the village and then watch the carnage, but the AI doesn't seem to be able to fight each other.

thesecret1

Arcane
Yeah, each time you dismantle something, there's a small chance that you'll learn how to make it. Raising INT raises that chance

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Yeah, each time you dismantle something, there's a small chance that you'll learn how to make it. Raising INT raises that chance
sounds rough... pulling that 1 in a million bone bow, dismantle it and not learn how to do it

buffalo bill

Arcane
It is pretty solid in all the ways that matter. Needs a ton of meat around the bones though.

Whether or not any meat will actually get onto the bones is a critical issue with classical roguelikes developed in the modern day.

ToME, ADOM, and other pre-millennium roguelikes continue to be updated to this day, and ToME in particular offers a ton of meat.

On the other hand, I don't generally expect anything initially conceived post-2010 to be updated much at all past release (or even leading up to release) unless bags of gold rain down on the developers. Caves of Qud seems to be a rare exception.
Infra arcana is a great game, and cogmind seems fleshed out

Tao

Savant
Cataclym Dark Days Ahead ruined these types of games for me even if we could argue they are not the same genre. Those 3 months i spent with the game were what i feel the expresion "down the rabit hole" was make for.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1623210/view/3109177561601457198

Soulash v1.0 released with 10% launch discount!

The time has come to conquer the world of Soulash!

Greetings fellow gods,

The time has come to conquer the world! Soulash v1.0 is now available on Steam and Itch, with the long-awaited graphics mod, Steam Workshop, Leaderboards, and Achievements!

Below is the full changelog for the 1.0 release:

Added
  • Core gfx mod with pixelart tileset. Both core and core_gfx should be enabled unless someone would like to continue to play ASCII.
  • Steam Workshop integration:
    • Publishing mods to Steam Workshop.
    • Loading subscribed mods.

• Steam Leaderboards integration:
    • Scoring per profession
    • Number of items crafted
    • Number of souls consumed
    • Quickest win (in turns count)
    • Placement will display in a notification when the player dies or wins.

• Steam Achievements integration
    • Added 69 achievements

• 5 new enemies.
  • 30 new alternative region maps
  • New tutorial entry about going back to Dreamworld.
  • Added "thumbnail icon" input in the mod edit form, that allows changing the Workshop thumbnail. The path to the image is relative to the mod folder.
  • Added notifications on publishing to Steam Workshop with the result.
  • Added mouse wheel scrolling on the Tutorial screen.
Changed
  • Javelin is considered a throwing weapon instead of a spear (being strength-based instead of dex).
  • Improved some entity animations.
  • Smite now scales with 20% weapon damage.

Fixed
  • True damage is no longer reduced by endurance.
  • Fixed rare crash when disarming weapon that provides access to an ability.
  • Fixed crash when attempting to shoot Lightning Arrow without arrows equipped.
  • Fixed issue causing Steam Workshop id to reset, publishing the mod twice.
  • Fixed copy-paste in modding between different region maps.
  • UI no longer stays hidden after winning the game and immediately starting a new one.

Some of you followed Soulash's development for years, and we're glad to finally leave the alpha and beta stages into the stable version. We're very grateful to everyone who tried the game, left feedback, and helped us get to this place. It's been a bumpy 5-year long journey. What comes next is yet to be determined, but what options we'll have is now up to you, our players. Please spread the word about the game, leave a review, tell your friends why you enjoy it, share it in communities you participate in, mod the game, join us on Discord or follow on Twitter, help other players with guides, share your creativity on Workshop and continue to provide us with your feedback!

We hope Soulash will bring you many hours of joy,

Artur & Xiclu

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Waiting for patches. For example, the RNG when it comes to the "complete game" is questionable and will probably need to be tweaked. First map peasant can spawn with an artifact.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
tried it for a bit. 1 big difference from demo was that my poacher cant find any animals. Also rocks are hard to come by so cant craft daggers/axe. Quite weird. Tried 3 times with same results. Basically found only single rock and no animals to hunt.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
each item you salvage boosts change of learning how to craft it by 5%. Starts with 5. At least those are values with minimal int

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Traditional cRPG mindset gets you killed real fast in this game. If you go exploring too early, chances are you'll run into something that will get you killed real fast. Some of the starting locations are much worse in this regard. Like with the one that has the cultists behind the illusory wall. Died like 20 times after exploring too deep.

The game can transition from "mostly harmless" to "will rape you solo", there are no-go zones right next to noobvilles.

Once you find an outpost with a well and all the manufacturing facilities, you're good to go. Being able to repair your gear is a godsend. I eventually luck into a good location and was like 6 hours into a game... only to have my saves corrupted by power outage. This is one of those games that can't survive an unplanned shutdown, so backup your save manually.

The capitol is crazy big, with proper districts. Which means that you will be fighting a lot. I am more and more inclined to say that movement skills and multi-target skills are the way to go. I had stealth, disarm and multiple skills that could damage enemies around me. While skills cost stamina, it has one important benefit over the normal attacks - they always hit. So with good stamina, you can essentially kill enemies you wouldn't otherwise manage (as they parry a lot of your attacks).

Like I said earlier, the game is pretty solid all around. Some UI annoyances aside, it feels complete. But not sure if the extreme length of runs sits too well with me. I'm dreading to start another 5+ hour run and then die to something stupid (like summoning a god or fighting a dragon). I was only level 7 after all that time and had explored maybe 25% of the map.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom