Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Wreck - post-apocalyptic space RPG inspired by Fallout

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
I agree. But I thought it was less than that? Maybe I just forgot to heal.
It's dependent on range, I believe. Character in melee range takes 13DMG. Is there an armor system in the game? Light engineer suit's description seems to indicate that it offers some protection, while the basic passenger's spacesuit does not.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
If I recall correctly, I just completed the VR mission, took the elevator down and, in absence of plus buttons next to skills despite having a free skill point (I realize now it was a bug), I started randomly clicking on the UI, thinking I'm missing something. When I pressed this button, not only did all items disappear from my inventory, I got teleported to the spot where I got out of VR.
OH, wow, that is a super helpful discovery. That tiny button is a "detect lie" feature which however should not affect your position or inventory. I think I have a suspicion what's happening but, yeah, that is a proper bug. Thank you!

And yes, indeed, the label is illegible in the small UI version.

Is there a dedicated suggestions/bug reports/nitpicks thread somewhere? I didn't seem to find one on Steam.

Yes. You have a choice between local thread on a Codex:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/space-wreck-demo-feedback-loop-spoilers.137043/page-3

or, I regularly check on the Steam discussions as well:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1063540/discussions/
Also, I wanted to say that I'm having loads of fun with the game. Didn't expect it to be this awesome. I'm curious, how much will chapter endings influence what follows?

Thank you! The endings are meant mostly to show you longer reaching consequences - sort of how Fallout ending slides worked, just here they are after chapters.

However, how you decide to progress can make quite substantial changes to your story. I mean, the plan is that you won't be able to visit all the locations in a single play-through - you sort of can branch off in the first chapter. Though it is subtle and not presented as THE CHOICE, I think it makes sense.

And lastly, what is the projected price?

Not decided yet but I am thinking of going as high as $14.99. We have a pretty substantial free demo, so I think it should be fair. It's comparable to the movie ticket which seems fitting to the length of the game.

Is there an armor system in the game? Light engineer suit's description seems to indicate that it offers some protection, while the basic passenger's spacesuit does not.

There is very basic armor system in place - DT essentially. Incoming damage gets subtracted by armor class (AC). Basic clothing usually does not offer any protection but space suits do - even the passenger space suit has AC 1, other suits - even more. One of the NPCs - Edzus - is wearing a Miner space suit with an AC of 5. As your companion or adversary, he takes less damage in combat.

0wca, thanks for detailed feedback, will think about it! Some quick comments:

Talking to companions after you told them to wait in an area brings up the whole initial dialogue again. I had to win that card match against that guy everytime I wanted him to follow me again.

Yes, that is totally not good. Thanks!

I know that physical resources are a thing (and they should be), but a wrench getting destroyed everytime you use it to unscrew something? That's kinda lame. Maybe make it less common and give it a couple of more uses?

The logic here is that Screwdriver item is needed to open vent covers. For the most part skill, checks should be hidden, as it rolls only for critical failure (tinker roll < 0). Your item gets destroyed only if you fail the roll critically which should be an illustration of your general ineptitude with "tinkering". Like, your character really does not know how to use power tools and destroys the instrument. The higher the skill, the less likely is to roll below 0.

That's how it should be, I am not writing off some bug with rolls because your RNG seems to have been acting weird.

concerning HP

There is a system in place where, if you are getting shot in close range, the damage is substantially higher (e.g. 8 from distance, 13 in close range). This is intentional, as I did not like how firefights in Fallout could end up with two guys 1 step apart shooting each other eyes.

This system should incentivize keeping distance. That is also why say Ranged 3 is 80% effective from a reasonably big distance - I want characters with guns to use distance. There is also a KICK move that also is meant to help with that - it deals minimal damage but can push the opponent far away thus increasing distance.

Additionally, there's the QUICK SHOT and STEADY SHOT mechanic. The steady shot is available only, if you haven't moved yet in this turn (the aim is steady), then you get a +1 bonus for your Ranged skill which in this system is quite substantial. However, once you move (or spend any AP), you have only a QUICK SHOT available, which is 50% faster (less AP) but also can deal only 50% of damage. So, you cannot run to someone and then shoot them for max damage. However, if the enemy foolishly runs to you, then you can blast her/him/it to smitherines.

Really hoping for some more skills. I felt it was a little sparse (don't know if this is going to change in the full version) as it could give way for some more unique character builds.

This is by design. I am not against systems with a multitude of skills per se but Space Wreck is a take on a lightweight system with a limited skill count. I wanted every skill to be meaningful and have more than one use, whatever stats you pick should have a visible impact on your gameplay. If there were a lot more skills, I feel, some of them could be neglected.

I try to follow Warren Spector's mantra of "inch wide miles deep".

Last edited:

0wca

Learned
The logic here is that Screwdriver item is needed to open vent covers. For the most part skill, checks should be hidden, as it rolls only for critical failure (tinker roll < 0). Your item gets destroyed only if you fail the roll critically which should be an illustration of your general ineptitude with "tinkering". Like, your character really does not know how to use power tools and destroys the instrument. The higher the skill, the less likely is to roll below 0.

That's how it should be, I am not writing off some bug with rolls because your RNG seems to have been acting weird.

Wasn't aware that I was constantly critically failing then. Maybe it goes back to my previous point about tweaking the dice rolls a bit.

This is by design. I am not against systems with a multitude of skills per se but Space Wreck is a take on a lightweight system with a limited skill count. I wanted every skill to be meaningful and have more than one use, whatever stats you pick should have a visible impact on your gameplay. If there were a lot more skills, I feel, some of them could be neglected.

I try to follow Warren Spector's mantra of "inch wide miles deep".

I actually approve of such a system. I wasn't saying like add 10 new skills or whatever. Just like one or two.

0wca

Learned
One more point I forgot to write:

The basement of the space wreck (with all the fuel in it) has 2 robots guarding it. It would be pretty cool if it was just one robot with better stats (kinda like a boss robot). Makes the fight a little harder and gives it a nice closure to that map when you finish it. I felt it was pretty easy taking those two bots down.

Baring that, maybe make an environmental thing like low oxygen inside the room which debuffs the party a little bit?

Just a few suggestions.

0wca

Learned

That's also a cool feature, but probably shouldn't work on robots? Maybe change to 'feign death' for robots or something of the like? Don't really see a robot giving a shit about your plight since they don't have empathy.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
I see an update has made PC move quicker and the dice roll animation doesn't take so long anymore. Definitely change for the better.

What endings did you guys managed to get? I got:
1. Station left abandoned
2. Station becomes pirate haven
3. Spriditis Crew, akhem, mysteriously died
4. Spriditis returns home
Still haven't figured out how to uncover the scavengers' plan.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
OK, I got the fifth ending
Leaving for Mars with Spriditis
and with that, my adventure with the demo comes to a close. Definitely a future
:d1p:

Last thing - how to use the actuator stabilizer? I thought I'd get an option to install it during the infirmary quest, but no dice. The girl got jabbed and ran way crying.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
OK, I got the fifth ending
Leaving for Mars with Spriditis
and with that, my adventure with the demo comes to a close. Definitely a future
:d1p:

Congrats! How much would you say you spent time on getting all these endings?

P.S.
BTW, I am curious about the number 3 - was it easy? Or did they gave you any trouble?

Last thing - how to use the actuator stabilizer? I thought I'd get an option to install it during the infirmary quest, but no dice. The girl got jabbed and ran way crying.

You have to use it while interacting with the machine.

The AUTOMED can be useful even outside the quest. In fact, this is a very solid healing solution - granted if you have high FOCUS or have fixed it (aaaand have money). Unrelated to the quest, you can open it up and then fix it if you have gotten the part already. After that, it functions as intended both for Santa and you.

Though I think it requires at least basic tinker expertise and tools.

When is the full release to be expected?

I don't want to speculate ATM.

The basement of the space wreck (with all the fuel in it) has 2 robots guarding it. It would be pretty cool if it was just one robot with better stats (kinda like a boss robot). Makes the fight a little harder and gives it a nice closure to that map when you finish it. I felt it was pretty easy taking those two bots down.

That's a good suggestion.

That's also a cool feature, but probably shouldn't work on robots?

Oh yeah, it should not. Does it? If so, it is a bug.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
How much would you say you spent time on getting all these endings?
I guess between 1-1,5 hour per ending, exploring whatever I could. Of course, the playthroughs were getting shorter as I was getting the hang of game mechanics and the layout of the station.

I am curious about the number 3 - was it easy? Or did they gave you any trouble?
Between a lucky speech roll to lure Edzus out of the Promenade and finding a Plasma Frog in the locker in security station, it was rather easy. Just tried to do it again, didn't get the frog and died. It's hard without a weapon that deals proper damage and combat focused character has to rely on chance to get one of those so early. On that note, there is Horsestopper rifle ammo to be found on the station - can you find the rifle proper?

you can open it up and then fix it if you have gotten the part already. After that, it functions as intended both for Santa and you.
How do I do that? I have the stabilizer in my inventory, but there is no option to interact with it or to repair the AUTOMED.

Last edited:

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
The length seems to be in line with my current estimations - 1-hour playthrough, up to 3 hours with a replay / deep dive.

On that note, there is Horsestopper rifle ammo to be found on the station - can you find the rifle proper?

Horsestopper is not on the station, but you can obtain OLDrill - Edzus is using one and there's a blueprint to make one yourself if you have a techy background. I find OLDrill rather powerful.

How do I do that? I have the stabilizer in my inventory, but there is no option to interact with it or to repair the AUTOMED.

I now realized it is a bug. There should be an option to one the AUTOMED but its not there because of a error. Thanks for helping me to find this!

Last edited:

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
SW-pick-up.gif

Stronger characters can move around barrels and boxes thus changing the environment to fit their needs. You can even build fortifications this way.

This game has an presentation somewhere between Police Quest 2 and Pajama Sam. I'm indifferent to it, but the gameplay features seem cool.

Playing the demo, it's everything I hoped it would be so far. But is there a highlight option like how items light up in Fallouts if you hold tab? That would be really helpful.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Dont get the appeal of this game honestly.

It has a very off-putting art-style, graphics and generally ui that looks like something from 1990s manic mansion adventure game, but its an rpg?

How could u even compare this to fallout

Butter

Arcane
Patron

It has a very off-putting art-style, graphics and generally ui that looks like something from 1990s manic mansion adventure game, but its an rpg?

Try not being a graphics fag. This game offers a crazy amount of build reactivity and flexible approaches to problem solving. It's honestly at a level we haven't seen since maybe Arcanum.

Swole dude

Novice

Stfu you cock sucking faggot

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom