Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Wreck - post-apocalyptic space RPG inspired by Fallout

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmm, sounds interesting. Could be genuinely fun in a broken way.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer

What could potentially be even more fun and broken is that this is a rather constant value - maxHP does not automatically increase on level-ups. Even more so, at this time, there is no way to increase maxHP on level-up at all (that may change but at the moment...)

So that 9 HP you get by creating a min-maxed character, very likely be what you'll have for the rest of the game...

Why? Because Space Wreck is about role-playing and consequences. If you create a character that is extremely weak - then you'll experience this story from a weakling's point of view. For example, you'll have to think twice before choosing a funny sarcastic dialogue option; or resorting to diplomacy not for fun but to actually survive. Or avoiding the heroic acts because they could be...well...dangerous.

It may sound harsh or extreme but remember - combat is 100% optional. You DONT have to fight. So there is no reason to lose HP in the first place unless you are asking for trouble intentionally.

0wca

Learned
Wow this game actually looks promising! Looks like the devs know what true RPGs are all about.

I REALLY hope that it's not just marketing bullshit, but that they are actually standing behind those statements, but seeing as how the Codex is pretty lit about this title, it's a pretty good sign.

:bro:

Maxie

Wow this game actually looks promising! Looks like the devs know what true RPGs are all about.

I REALLY hope that it's not just marketing bullshit, but that they are actually standing behind those statements, but seeing as how the Codex is pretty lit about this title, it's a pretty good sign.

codex was so lit about ash of gods that it even has a sub-forum here
the result was predictable

0wca

Learned

codex was so lit about ash of gods that it even has a sub-forum here
the result was predictable

I'm trying to escape the doomer mentality if you don't mind.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
I REALLY hope that it's not just marketing bullshit, but that they are actually standing behind those statements,

No need to rely on trust.

There is a free demo version of the game available right now on Steam. It is feature complete, functionally almost a stand-alone game with its own story arc(that, of course, ties in the full game) with approximately 1 hour of gameplay (or more, if you decide to replay or explore deeper). For all intents and purposes, it is the first chapter of the game.

You can check right now yourself how much of this actually is in the game (should be 100%), and if it is any fun. If it isn't, please, share, we are looking forward to feedback.

0wca

Learned
I REALLY hope that it's not just marketing bullshit, but that they are actually standing behind those statements,

No need to rely on trust.

There is a free demo version of the game available right now on Steam. It is feature complete, functionally almost a stand-alone game with its own story arc(that, of course, ties in the full game) with approximately 1 hour of gameplay (or more, if you decide to replay or explore deeper). For all intents and purposes, it is the first chapter of the game.

You can check right now yourself how much of this actually is in the game (should be 100%), and if it is any fun. If it isn't, please, share, we are looking forward to feedback.

Yeah I tried it, it looks cool. There's definitely a lot of room for improvement but the game looks good so far.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

What could potentially be even more fun and broken is that this is a rather constant value - maxHP does not automatically increase on level-ups. Even more so, at this time, there is no way to increase maxHP on level-up at all (that may change but at the moment...)

So that 9 HP you get by creating a min-maxed character, very likely be what you'll have for the rest of the game...

Why? Because Space Wreck is about role-playing and consequences. If you create a character that is extremely weak - then you'll experience this story from a weakling's point of view. For example, you'll have to think twice before choosing a funny sarcastic dialogue option; or resorting to diplomacy not for fun but to actually survive. Or avoiding the heroic acts because they could be...well...dangerous.

It may sound harsh or extreme but remember - combat is 100% optional. You DONT have to fight. So there is no reason to lose HP in the first place unless you are asking for trouble intentionally.

A system inherently designed to avoid HP bloat?

Yes, yes, and yes again!
This was already my most looked-foward-to game on the horizon, but that makes it even better. Every new detail I hear is just massive incline of astronomical proportions!

Endemic

Arcane
Looks promising from what I've played of the demo so far. I did notice some typos ("fourties" and "capeable" for example), and the text is tiny at 1920x1200, but these are minor quibbles that can be fixed easily.

I guess the UI style is intended to harken back to those old DOS-era adventure games? I felt like I was sat in front of a BBC Micro again :P

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
While trying to figure out how to allocate a newly acquired skill point, I pressed a grey little button and lost all my items, effectively ending a run. At least the inventory screen now tells me I'm fairly confident it's the truth.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
While trying to figure out how to allocate a newly acquired skill point, I pressed a grey little button and lost all my items, effectively ending a run. At least the inventory screen now tells me I'm fairly confident it's the truth.
This is super weird. Did the grey little button have a caption or an icon? Maybe it was the inventory filter button; if so, then first button in the row will reset any filters and show all items again.
Thanks for the feedback! We are still ironing out stuff.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
This is super weird. Did the grey little button have a caption or an icon? Maybe it was the inventory filter button; if so, then first button in the row will reset any filters and show all items again.
DZ5ipnI.jpg
If I recall correctly, I just completed the VR mission, took the elevator down and, in absence of plus buttons next to skills despite having a free skill point (I realize now it was a bug), I started randomly clicking on the UI, thinking I'm missing something. When I pressed this button, not only did all items disappear from my inventory, I got teleported to the spot where I got out of VR.

Thanks for the feedback! We are still ironing out stuff.
Is there a dedicated suggestions/bug reports/nitpicks thread somewhere? I didn't seem to find one on Steam.

Also, I wanted to say that I'm having loads of fun with the game. Didn't expect it to be this awesome. I'm curious, how much will chapter endings influence what follows?

And lastly, what is the projected price?

EDIT: I noticed that button is supposed to say "Lie?", but in-game it is illegible.

Last edited:

0wca

Learned
Just finished the demo. Here are some of my thoughts:

THE GOOD:
  • The level design is awesome. Great overall design, derelict station feels like a derelict station in terms of room placement and layout not just a clear dungeon with barred paths that are barred for no good reason. Many different paths to get to a specific location and can finish the game without conflict. Great job on that front.
  • Dialogue is pretty well done. I like the whole Perception check to read a person's personality thing.
  • Character creation is great because you have to make flawed characters or ones that are average at everything.
  • Good atmosphere and overall sound is decent.
THE BAD:
  • Movement is clunky. Oftentimes I clicked on an area and then clicked on a different area while the character was in mid-movement and he still went to the initial location unless I spam-clicked.
  • Talking to companions after you told them to wait in an area brings up the whole initial dialogue again. I had to win that card match against that guy everytime I wanted him to follow me again.
  • The UI could use some work. It works for the most part, but the inventory needs some sorting options.
  • That guy who constantly says "Don't open the door." is annoying. I know he's supposed to be, but I should be able to open the door regardless. If he wants to attack me afterwards, fine. He should give like one or two vocal warnings then attack if you open it (kinda like in the old fallouts).
  • I know that physical resources are a thing (and they should be), but a wrench getting destroyed everytime you use it to unscrew something? That's kinda lame. Maybe make it less common and give it a couple of more uses?
  • I don't think the game needs a skill check for every little thing. I mean, unscrewing a shaft? That's real easy. Unless the character has a really low skill I think a task as easy as that should always succeed (unless the shaft is stuck or something).
  • This might be just me, but the map scrolling speed was abyssmally slow.

OTHER NOTES
  • Combat is...OK. It definitely needs some work as I found it was too easy to hit or be hit. I did have a 3 in Ranged, but that's like above average I think? And yet I had 80%+ chance to hit from a decent range. The enemy's hit chance is also a bit too high I think (they haven't missed me once).
  • The HP could be boosted a little on the lower stats. I'm thinking being dealt almost a killing blow if you have 1 Physical is better than outright death. I had a 2 and died in one shot. I should be able to take one hit at 2 Physical and still run away even if badly hurt.
  • The skill checks are OK...in theory. I think it's way too easy to fail as I've failed about 80% of the time and that includes the skills I was good at. I think the system is fine, just needs a little tweaking as it's too easy to get pluses and minuses. I think I only succeeded once on a skill that I had a 4 in out of quite a few checks with it. It kind of kills the idea of progression and adding points to a skill just to constantly fail because of RNG. I'm not against the RNG, but I think at the current rate a die ends up as either a minus, a plus, or a null (so a 1d3). If it was a d6 and gave a minus only on a 1 and a plus only on a 6, it would still add that element of randomness while giving a bigger emphasis on the skills the character is good at. That way, a character that's good in a skill has a small chance of failing while a character bad in a skill has a small chance of succeeding (which I think is how it should be).
  • Really hoping for some more skills. I felt it was a little sparse (don't know if this is going to change in the full version) as it could give way for some more unique character builds.
  • Was hoping for some music but I guess it's too early in development for that.
  • Haven't played stealth so can't judge.

Last edited:

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
  • The HP could be boosted a little on the lower stats. I'm thinking being dealt almost a killing blow if you have 1 Physical is better than outright death. I had a 2 and died in one shot. I should be able to take one hit at 2 Physical and still run away even if badly hurt.
I think it is great as is. With Physical 1 you get 9HP and cambots zap you for 8. It really feels like smarty-pants character is unfit for combat. You have to quite literally outsmart your opponents - construct clever contraptions, hack, figure out workarounds to problems others would tackle head on. "Science" is not just a different combat skill for energy weapons or whatever. You actually have a different skillset and gameplay changes accordingly.

0wca

Learned
I think it is great as is. With Physical 1 you get 9HP and cambots zap you for 8. It really feels like smarty-pants character is unfit for combat. You have to quite literally outsmart your opponents - construct clever contraptions, hack, figure out workarounds to problems others would tackle head on. "Science" is not just a different combat skill for energy weapons or whatever. You actually have a different skillset and gameplay changes accordingly.

I agree. But I thought it was less than that? Maybe I just forgot to heal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom