Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Wreck - post-apocalyptic space RPG inspired by Fallout

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
Of course I'm hearing 0 about this game outside of the codex. People truly have no taste.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
So, is it good?
yes. in terms of comparison I think of aod. I loved aod and I like this one more.
However, its more forgiving(as in difficulty is not hardcore), personally I dislike graphix style, loading times are bad and I just hated interacting with screens/machines(so many clicks and loading screens with very little displayed on said screens, had to scroll).

Played colonoscopy ship ea, but I think this one is aod2 for me.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Captain puts his space suit on.

Ah, well, yeah. If NPCs have spacesuits in their inventory, they put them on as soon as oxygen starts to dwindle.

Perhaps design-wise I could not have them carry spacesuits around but keep them in lockers.

It doesnt seem that Ive gotten any ending for disabling pirate ship and escaping

Could you share this savegame? I am curious why wouldn't you get an ending.

Save files are in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Space Wreck Saves\<Steam ID number>. Send them to .

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Kamaz just had random thought, whats the deal with pirate ship? Why cant I take over?
Oddly enough captain doesnt have fob, bridge console is not usable.

Lets say I gas the bridge, initiate lockdown, then if I could fly away then everyone outside would just fall of the ship right?

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Kamaz just had random thought, whats the deal with pirate ship? Why cant I take over?
Oddly enough captain doesnt have fob, bridge console is not usable.

Lets say I gas the bridge, initiate lockdown, then if I could fly away then everyone outside would just fall of the ship right?
Bridge console not being usable is sort of a bug. But I don't think taking over would help you much, I have been considering this, but decided against it.

There's no reason for someone to fall off the moving ship, there's no air resistance and, unless the acceleration is very powerful - would not affect people with magnetic boots. Perhaps it could be a powerful acceleration, need to check real world numbers.

And I guess then you go back to your shuttle and fly back to Bulta? Because Sepikoda cannot take you home. You can take over the other pirate ship where it makes sense.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Space Wreck is released but feedback is still coming in.

So we added
- silent non-lethal takedown for humans (melee);
- power down option for robots in combat (scitec).

optimized-power-down-robot.gif

More options to (non-violently) deal with anyone in your way!

Here's a list of smaller changes in this update:
  • Change level-up triggering timing & logic. Hopefully, now it'll be clearer when it's SKILL-up, and when it's STRESS-up.
  • Fix impossible to pick up keys from unconscious NPCs (e.g. Priit). Now it should be possible.
  • Fix unconscious companions still following even while floating.
  • Adjust & expand SEPIKODA sabotage endings. (lukaszek)
  • Check companions when ending the combat - should prevent reported combat on/off glitching in certain situations.
  • Added a new ability to knock-out NPCs and switch off robots.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1063540/view/3738609511469118313?l=english

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I want to build a crane in turbads but i cannot, for the love of god find the last metal pipe. I found 2 searching for random junks, but the last one eludes me

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
so... how do you become a pirate?
What exactly does focus do? Does it affect sneaking? Looks like I have trouble even reading long messages on the panels/computers, but I do receive blueprints etc anyway. Does it mean that with meta knowledge I dont care?

Last edited:

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
I want to build a crane in turbads but i cannot, for the love of god find the last metal pipe. I found 2 searching for random junks, but the last one eludes me
That's actually an oversight, there was a guaranteed spawn missing. Try 1.3.29, there should be some now in
Peterson's shelves and Gardener's box
. Restart your Steam client to fetch the update, if you don't get it immediately.

so... how do you become a pirate?
There's some specific failure route that leads to it. I have to re-check it now, I see that nobody has this achievement(?), it was one of the first things made, many years ago.

What exactly does focus do? Does it affect sneaking?

• Directly affects your Action Point (AP) count.
  • The critical hit chance. (Note: it's not a ranged or melee skill).
  • Partially affects melee damage.
  • Evasion.
  • Initial sneak rank.
  • Ability to detect lies.
  • Ability to read long texts or follow long speeches. (To be precise, FOCUS 1 turns them into "blah-blah")
  • Reaction tests in certain situations.

PlayerEmers

Novice
Kamaz I've been wondering if you have any plans to do a "post-mortem" post about the game here (or any other place).
You know, the usual post-mortem that some devs do talking about production, how things were handled, expectations and results. I always like to read those.

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
I like the game! I felt a little lost at first but really like the depth and the artstyle. Found a few spelling mistakes and a few minor bugs. Maybe some are already fixed now.

Typo: Awareness 1

awarenessx.jpg

Typo: Awareness 2

awareness2x.jpg

Typo: Switch off

switchoffx.jpg

Bug: Squeezing here does nothing

squeezing_here_does_nothing.png

Bug: Can take it from the here? Seems like the wrong side

take_it_from_wrong_side.png

Maybe Bug: Everything was suddenly too far even standing directly close to it (could also be a status effect which I didn't notice)

too_far_bug.png

Bug: Text says the door should be closed but it wasn't (I still could not get through)

door_does_not_stay_close.png

Suggestion: Some things feel a little slow (I have created a character who's really bad with computers and crashes them frequently - clicking on the x does nothing until a few seconds later even though I already know I failed), combat and the initial loading time also feel a bit slow.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
And could you do R for reload?

Try Ctrl + R for the whole game reload. Or Ctrl + L to reload with an auto-save (usually - latest).

Kamaz I've been wondering if you have any plans to do a "post-mortem" post about the game here (or any other place).
You know, the usual post-mortem that some devs do talking about production, how things were handled, expectations and results. I always like to read those.

I always thought that game post-mortem sounds rather morbid. But some recap or something of sorts - I think it's too early for that, need some perspective.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I woke up, came to RPG Codex and browsed this thread about a Fallout inspired game, reading stuff like: 'the game has 0 response outside RPG Codex' or 'I want to build a crane in turbads'
Then, I went to Steam and the first sentence I heard from the trailer was, "Captain, you are not SPECIAL."
Man, I'm sold.

Last edited:

xuerebx

Erudite
How long is the game? Just started it up and I'm more likely to finish it the shorter it is, and I heard one playthrough should be short.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
How long is the game? Just started it up and I'm more likely to finish it the shorter it is, and I heard one playthrough should be short.
Depends how thorough are you with exploration.
My non combat tech/sneak run with a lot of reloading to check various branches clocked at 12h. Its probably on higher end since not getting into combat and exploring/burglaring everywhere takes time.

agris

Arcane
Patron
congrats on the ars technica review Kamaz , your exposure to the normie "i'm a nerd!!!" crowd is massively increased.

seen a sales bump?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I woke up, came to RPG Codex and browsed this thread about a Fallout inspired game, reading stuff like: 'the game has 0 response outside RPG Codex' or 'I want to build a crane in turbads'
Then, I went to Steam and the first sentence I heard from the trailer was, "Captain, you are not SPECIAL."
Man, I'm sold.
That's pretty anti-Fallout! :M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
congrats on the ars technica review Kamaz , your exposure to the normie "i'm a nerd!!!" crowd is massively increased.

seen a sales bump?
Copy-paste or it never happened: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023...essor-we-never-got-just-shorter-and-stronger/

Space Wreck is a hardcore, combat-optional, break-the-game RPG that clicks​

It's a deep simulation, a retro throwback, and a funny few hours at a time.​

"You can sequence break the game," the developers of Space Wreck suggest on its Steam page. The game is "Inch wide, miles deep," with "Combat 100% optional." There is so little artifice to Space Wreck's presentation as a "Hardcore role-playing game," no real sense of wider-audience marketing. Perhaps that's because, after playing it, you get the sense the developers saved all their creativity for the possibilities inside.

The easiest point of comparison for the just-released Space Wreck are the first two Fallout games, the isometric, click-to-move kind from the late 1990s. That's because Space Wreck's developers, two folks from Latvia, directly point to those games wherever they can. Having sunk hundreds of hours into those games, I see the homage. It's a game with a post-apocalyptic, used-future aesthetic, intentionally clunky graphics, a wicked sense of humor, turn-based combat, and room for lots of builds and strategies.

But Space Wreck offers a whole lot more role-playing than gaming, and that's a good, refreshing thing. There's no deep mythology here, very little voice acting, and combat is not all that complicated. Instead, you get, according to the developer, three to eight ways to complete every quest. To get into a room guarded by a gun-toting security guard, you could, of course, win a shootout with the guard. You could persuade him to step aside. You could disguise yourself. You could, if small enough, climb into a nearby vent and sneak into the room. You could reprogram some nearby security bots to take out the guard for you. Nearly every situation in Space Wreck has this kind of flexibility, and some of them far more.

The plot is that you, a worker for an exploitative space mining corp in the not-too-distant future, have barely survived crashing on an installation. You need fuel and a fuel chip for your shuttle. A bunch of people, robots, doors, and puzzles stand in your way. Your build and your strategies determine how you will go through it all: sneaking, computer hacking, crafting and mechanical trickery, melee fighting, shooting, charming, perceptive, or some combination. To a large extent, all of them can work, and all of them are rich options for repeat playthroughs.

The earlier Fallout games were famous for their low-intelligence moments, when there were real consequences, or just funny dialogue, if you min-maxed your character into a dummy. Given my own fresh shot at this, I crafted a real "Executive's Son Was a Former High School Football Star" dude, one with absolutely no personality, knowledge, or skills and a likely misplaced sense of work ethic.

Here are some things that have happened to me during my run:
  • I have failed to craft a hairpin out of wire multiple times
  • I have crashed nearly every computer I've tried to use simply by trying to turn them on
  • I was so intimidated trying to speak to someone that I needed alcohol for the fake self-assurance
  • I failed to loot several robots I destroyed, because they simply seemed like a pile of wires
  • I cannot fit through any vents because I'm too big
  • I kicked a guy out of orbital gravity, like a Marvel superhero
  • I keep waiting for long-term effects from the painkillers I'm quaffing because I'm constantly fighting.
Space Wreck feels like a game in which every run is a challenge run. Like Baldur's Gate 3, the game shows you the dice rolls at big moments, like when you're trying to convince someone to join you or trying to craft something outside your skill. Things can go terribly wrong, but you should not, must not reload, because trying to get past with a different tactic is the fun.

Early player reviews of the game have noted a few quest-blocking bugs but also a mind-boggling amount of reactivity to the world, the NPCs, and the quest design. For its current price of $17, and knowing that each run-through is not likely to be more than five hours (at the far end), it's easy to recommend to anybody who wants to feel that Fallout freedom again. It's only one map location, the graphics are almost prankishly simple, and the combat is far more utilitarian, but you're once more on the inside of an overwrought, yet still funny, joke about our busted future.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Starting my second round, this time with high cha and high speech character. In the last one i can barely talk to people, so needed constant alcohol but then i'd constantly trip and flung onto walls.

But now i lack the ability to lockpick which actually changes how i explored. I needed to find keycards so i have to explore more thoroughly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom