Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Wreck - post-apocalyptic space RPG inspired by Fallout

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
When I read about the premise for this game I was super interested. Fallout/arcanum/ fallout 2 mods/ atom/ underrail ect ect
It really feels more like Maniac Mansion, at least to me.

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Do you need to protect all classes of passengers, in Space Wreck? Or they're not, how should I put it, essential?

I had an argument with one of the poor passengers which was restricting access to space suits, and when I decided to knock some sense into him, every single passenger in that floor decided to murder their captain. I guess they weren't concerned about the dangers of losing access to the space suits, so I gave them reason to worry: I opened a hole in the ground and they died for not giving a damn to the space suits (except the jerk I had an argument with. I crushed him with a melee weapon). Oops!

None of the passengers in the upper floor seemed to mind my decision. I hope I didn't ruin this playthrough.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Do you need to protect all classes of passengers, in Space Wreck? Or they're not, how should I put it, essential?

Oh, if you find an essential character in Space Wreck, please report it as a bug. There should not be essential characters. You should be able to complete the game by killing literally everyone (everything).

I had an argument with one of the poor passengers which was restricting access to space suits, and when I decided to knock some sense into him, every single passenger in that floor decided to murder their captain. I guess they weren't concerned about the dangers of losing access to the space suits, so I gave them reason to worry: I opened a hole in the ground and they died for not giving a damn to the space suits (except the jerk I had an argument with. I crushed him with a melee weapon). Oops!

I think you are on the Santa's naughty list now.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Oh, if you find an essential character in Space Wreck, please report it as a bug. There should not be essential characters. You should be able to complete the game by killing literally everyone (everything).

I think you are on the Santa's naughty list now.

harhar!

Augur
I finished the game twice so far, overall I like it. There are many non-obvious ways to solve problems and truly branching paths. Some critique:

1. There should be a quicker trading interface with companions.

2. I oftentimes try to click on some object with my robot in front. The game seems to think that I want to talk to the robot, even though the object is highlighted.

3. There are many instances where you get stuck in a fight waiting for your turn. Have to relaunch the game to fix it.

4. I'm not a fan of the random loot. In some playthroughs I can't find a single atomic battery and in others they lie around everywhere. That's pretty annoying.

5. Sci-tech/Speech/Tinker build feels pretty superior to everything else. I usually am able to solve quests in multiple ways. I never got that "scroungy" feeling like in Age of Decadence, where I was desperate to find any way to advance in any quest.

6. There is just so much fucking loot, it's a bit of a chore to look through it all and remember what everything does. I feel like the game would be better with less loot that maybe has stronger effects. Also, the effect of items should be shown in loot interfaces.

7. For skillchecks, you should be able to see the difficulty before doing them.

8. For some quests the log seems incomplete.

9. There are some weird interactions with NPCs where they don't react appropriately to what has happened. For example, the boss in the second area after I get him fired.

10. Managing your inventory space can get pretty tedious because capacity is so low. Also, there should be sorting options.

11. Enemy AI is inconsistent. Sometimes they can tell that I killed their mates 100 meters away, sometimes they are not bothered by me kicking their comrade off the ship or murdering their captain.

12. I felt somewhat "rushed" by timed consumables. Maybe this could be done better on a "by use" basis. Maybe alcohol helps you in the next x speech checks or something like that.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
I finished the game twice so far, overall I like it. There are many non-obvious ways to solve problems and truly branching paths. Some critique:

Thanks for checking it out and the constructive, structured feedback. We really appreciate comments like this!

Disclaimer: the customer is always right, the critique is valid and should be considered. However, some things are "design decisions" - for better or worse.

I'll quickly add comments to the points you raised to add more context:

1. There should be a quicker trading interface with companions.

If you right-click on your companion, there should be an option EXCHANGE in the dropdown. That ought to open the exchange interface right away.

2. I oftentimes try to click on some object with my robot in front. The game seems to think that I want to talk to the robot, even though the object is highlighted.

Interactions have been tricky for this game. This is, of course, an issue/bug I haven't resolved, unfortunately.

3. There are many instances where you get stuck in a fight waiting for your turn. Have to relaunch the game to fix it.

Serious problem! Can you recall specific/common circumstances when this was occurring, perhaps a location?

4. I'm not a fan of the random loot. In some playthroughs I can't find a single atomic battery and in others they lie around everywhere. That's pretty annoying.

"Design decision". The random loot drops are optional. If you may need an item for a specific quest, it should be manually placed somewhere logical. Also, certain usable items just have guaranteed spawn places (e.g. Nomen's, Nominal tablets and yes, Atomic battery) in addition to random spots.

5. Sci-tech/Speech/Tinker build feels pretty superior to everything else. I usually am able to solve quests in multiple ways. I never got that "scroungy" feeling like in Age of Decadence, where I was desperate to find any way to advance in any quest.

I agree. It was not my intention but eventually engineer's build has become the "stealth archer" of sorts.

6. There is just so much fucking loot, it's a bit of a chore to look through it all and remember what everything does. I feel like the game would be better with less loot that maybe has stronger effects. Also, the effect of items should be shown in loot interfaces.

"Design decision" - I don't like how the player is supposed to and expected to pick up everything they see. I wanted to experiment with a game where you don't have to pick up anything at all, except the main quest item yet shit lies around like in a junkyard. And you can pick up a lot of junk which can have its uses but it is optional.

Some players complain about this, so I am not sure if the experiment has been successful (is the concept wrong or did I not communicate it well?) All in all, this stands.

7. For skillchecks, you should be able to see the difficulty before doing them.

"Design decision". Originally it was so but based on playtesting and the responses from Codex (in this thread), I opted to hide it. There are even cases when you have, for example , three speech checks and every one of them has different difficulty, so you have to read through and decide which phrase would be the easiest to pull off. I mean, to bullshit with a straight face you need a high speech but if you offer a plausible explanation, difficulty can be lower.

8. For some quests the log seems incomplete.

An issue, 100%.

9. There are some weird interactions with NPCs where they don't react appropriately to what has happened. For example, the boss in the second area after I get him fired.

Bug.

10. Managing your inventory space can get pretty tedious because capacity is so low. Also, there should be sorting options.

Low capacity is intentional (see 6) - a "design decision". Also, just like HP, carry capacity grows exponentially with your PHYSICAL, so, if you have 4 or 5, I think it would be plenty.

Sorting options - yes, QoL requested by some already.

11. Enemy AI is inconsistent. Sometimes they can tell that I killed their mates 100 meters away, sometimes they are not bothered by me kicking their comrade off the ship or murdering their captain.

A bug. It probably has something to do with internal factions.

12. I felt somewhat "rushed" by timed consumables. Maybe this could be done better on a "by use" basis. Maybe alcohol helps you in the next x speech checks or something like that.

Won't change the core mechanic, but, perhaps, the duration could be longer.

Last edited:

harhar!

Augur
If you right-click on your companion, there should be an option EXCHANGE in the dropdown. That ought to open the exchange interface right away.
Damn. I could've sword there was nothing but it is indeed there. Guess I expected "TRADE" or something like that, even though exchange is more accurate. Has this been there from release date?

Serious problem! Can you recall specific/common circumstances when this was occurring, perhaps a location?
Usually, when there are many enemies off-screen like when I murder Janka in front of the room with the many robots.

"Design decision". The random loot drops are optional. If you may need an item for a specific quest, it should be manually placed somewhere logical. Also, certain usable items just have guaranteed spawn places (e.g. Nomen's, Nominal tablets and yes, Atomic battery) in addition to random spots.
Is there a fixed atomic battery in the first level? I only found some in the second and third.

"Design decision". Originally it was so but based on playtesting and the responses from Codex (in this thread), I opted to hide it. There are even cases when you have, for example , three speech checks and every one of them has different difficulty, so you have to read through and decide which phrase would be the easiest to pull off. I mean, to bullshit with a straight face you need a high speech but if you offer a plausible explanation, difficulty can be lower.
That makes sense.

Btw. one of the loading screen tips lies. It says that if you level physical to 5, your HP is 100.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Has this been there from release date?

No, that was added in one of the updates based on player feedback.

when I murder Janka in front of the room with the many robots
Thanks, that should be reproducible!

Is there a fixed atomic battery in the first level?
It is but, to be fair, it might be too hidden. Currently, it can be found in a container in Gulshan's room, where you can downgrade the cambot firmware.

screen tips lies. It says that if you level physical to 5, your HP is 100.
Thx for pointing it out! That's a relict from times when HP was capped to 100 but later I adjusted the formula.

harhar!

Augur
No, that was added in one of the updates based on player feedback.
Ok, good, so I'm not retarded! I probably checked whether this function was available at the start and then never bothered to recheck.

One more bug(?) I remember: I stole the Spiriditis and went back to the mothership. The shuttle that I'm supposed to use to go to the pirates is invisible. However, it works as it should.

harhar!

Augur
The shuttle that I'm supposed to use to go to the pirates is invisible. However, it works as it should.
Well, this is awkward.

But, I presume, the hatch in the floor leads to Sprīdītis anyways?
Yes. Also, when I go back from the pirates, I end up in the Spriditis. However, the hatch on the Spriditis doesn't take me anywhere.

This is what it looks like when I want to go to the pirates:

https://ibb.co/QD1zzfK

It is but, to be fair, it might be too hidden. Currently, it can be found in a container in Gulshan's room, where you can downgrade the cambot firmware.
You weren't kidding. It doesn't even look like a container to me.

Another thing: The cutscenes don't play properly for me. They are very choppy.

Is it possible to join the scavengers/ask them for help? I did all the quests for them but they won't talk to me any further.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
OK, I'll take a note of this.

Is it possible to join the scavengers/ask them for help? I did all the quests for them but they won't talk to me any further.
Yes. But only if you learn about their plans and ask to join before they get to the fuel. They are desperate to get in the bunker and thus more lenient. But, as soon as they have what they need, there's no point to offer anything of sorts, unless you have negotiated before. Oh, and you cannot be a woman.. In general, they don't like to add new people to their group.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
tried to boot this to do the thing but then I remembered why i stopped playing - loading times are terrible.
Any chance this will see improvement?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
What loading times bother you the most? Is it the initial startup / loading a save or changing locations too?
yes

Worst are save game load, can take up to a minute?
Then next big offender are booting displays in game. I did wonder if its about animation that you absolutely love or does game require me to relieve old win95 days.
Changing locations never bothered me. Dunno if its because I expect them to take a bit or im just too fed up with above 2

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
- give space suit to the dude(btw it was very hard for character with 1str and companion robot inventory isnt checked)
- dude is gone
- recover water chip
- pirates come over; dude calls me over radio; fail speech check and cant even talk with him?

it might be due to me picking some negative traits which lowered my speech under 0?

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
- give space suit to the dude(btw it was very hard for character with 1str and companion robot inventory isnt checked)
- dude is gone

Dude went to your shuttle (afraid you'd leave without him). But, yes, I agree, checking party inventory could have been a logical option.

For what it's worth, this situation can be resolved in many [non-combat] ways, carrying the space suit is just one of them. All the [main-quest] cases when you need to carry something in the game should have the alternative option(s?) where you don't.

- pirates come over; dude calls me over radio; fail speech check and cant even talk with him?
The call is optional. He explains exactly what to do but you can figure it out without his help. (There's even an option to ignore him.) You have to re-explore a bit and look for opportunities carefully. And, FYI, of course, this is possible without engaging in combat.

Spoiler: Go to the ORION office level and look for a dude in the bathroom. He's having a bit of a hard time and unaware of his surroundings.

In general, I would like to think that combat, talking, inventory, successful rolls, computers and even NPCs are all optional in Space Wreck.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
The call is optional
i know, i did it before. My point is about how I was able to talk with him and help him out, but then I can no longer talk to him over radio. Thats the part I find weird.

btw I was not able to hack humanoid robots even though I had high science and could access all terminals. Is it result of low focus and reading only bla bla text?

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Kamaz are you working on another big patch? What's the future of Space Wreck?

I have accumulated feedback and fixes for some of it already, but I am no longer focusing our limited resources exclusively on Space Wreck.
Does that mean you're working on a new project? I guess it's too early to announce, but if I'm right simply blink twice!

Virgil Brummond

Educated
Just finished my first playthrough of Space Wreck.

As a fan of Fallout 1/2, Arcanum and Underail, I enjoyed it a lot. It's great that you don't have to get into fights. World building was top notch and characters were fun and generally memorable.

I played a sneaky, pacifist hacker. It seems that you can play the game very differently. Will need to do another run soon.

Thanks for the fun experience!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom