Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gold Box SSI's Gold Box Series Thread

What are your favorite Gold Box games?

• Pool of Radiance

• Curse of the Azure Bonds

• Secret of the Silver Blades

• Pools of Darkness

• Champions of Krynn

• Death Knights of Krynn

• The Dark Queen of Krynn

• Gateway to the Savage Frontier

• Treasures of the Savage Frontier

• Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday

• Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed

• Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures (FRUA)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
actually, seems Warriors of the Eternal Sun is an EoB-like? Ah well, I'll keep it in the post anyways.
What gave you that idea? It's very simple, but not first person clicky combat. See video at timestamp for combat.

Warriors is weird, it has dungeons ala Eye of the Beholder with real time action combat while on the overworld the combat is turn-based and from the top down perspective you can see in the video

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
actually, seems Warriors of the Eternal Sun is an EoB-like? Ah well, I'll keep it in the post anyways.
What gave you that idea? It's very simple, but not first person clicky combat. See video at timestamp for combat.

Warriors is weird, it has dungeons ala Eye of the Beholder with real time action combat while on the overworld the combat is turn-based and from the top down perspective you can see in the video

Ah so more like Ultima (except RT in dungeons) then. Too bad the video didn't show that as well.

Thank you for the clarification.

Generic-Giant-Spider

If you plan to play Warriors take this tip: equip every single person with a projectile weapon when going into dungeons/caves and make sure you have a cleric in your party.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Too bad the video didn't show that as well.
check my timestamped post above in the cave
Amusingly enough, I vaguely remember that too.

Anyway, part of the reason I don't remember much about this one is that I remember thinking it was cool because it was D&D on the Genesis, but it was too simple to leave a lasting impression like PoR, CoK, etc. all of which I played as a kid on the C64, etc. well before the Genesis was a thing, but remember fairly vividly.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Anyway, part of the reason I don't remember much about this one is that I remember thinking it was cool because it was D&D on the Genesis, but it was too simple to leave a lasting impression like PoR, CoK, etc. all of which I played as a kid on the C64, etc. well before the Genesis was a thing, but remember fairly vividly.

I think the game would have been better if it had stuck to either mode (dungeon real time or top-down and TB)

mediocrepoet

Patron

I think the game would have been better if it had stuck to either mode (dungeon real time or top-down and TB)
Yes, I agree completely.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
At the time this game was a relative hit. I played the hell out of this one and Starflight. It is far easier than Order of the Griffon. Let's Play Archive - WOTES goes over the game, spoiler it be. There are a few hidden cheats to this game I didn't learn about until emulator years. There is also these supposed Game Hacking Codes.

I never got the second code to work but can confirm the first one works. Cutting Room Floor.

There are plenty of walkthroughs on this easy game. Quickest way to level is take your crew to to the hidden cave just just of the beastman caves. There is a solo fire giant you can spam pelt with slingstones or arrows. When he gets close the ole EOB trick of lure and let the mob slowly sidestep into view works great as you mass slash the fuck out of him. You do that dance until it is dead. The bad is the one who gets the killing blow gets the xp. You can always solo it as restoring dead members is damn easy and has no penalty in the game. In fact, each overmap section has a heal and raise dead section I believe. Swamp might only have heal. It has been a while. (Or if you know where ALL the treasure is you can just bum rush the dungeons.)

All overland is nice TBT but the EOB-Like is RT on steroids for thd party. Mobs might attack like EOB but thd party can essentially attack as fast as you can hit the buttons. I think even autofire can work here.

http://www.opusgames.com/games/wotes/wotes.html

http://www.opusgames.com/games/wotes/valley.html

This game can be blazed through fast. Enthusiasts have converted it to tabletop.

http://pandius.com/wotes_1.html
http://pandius.com/wotes_2.html
http://pandius.com/wotes_3.html

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane

jakkis

Novice
CotAB was babby's first RPG for me, played on my cousin's amiga during summer. We had a party named after us kids ofc. Anyway..

One char ended up F/M/C. I don't know what level that combo starts with, but I distinctly remember him getting stuck at 5/5/5 and not getting more xp. Any idea why that is/was? Some max lvl rule or game bugging out? I would think as kids we maxed out everything at 18,not sure, still even if say cleric hit max shouldn't other classes still get levels?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It depends on your race. No race has a cap for Thief, but demi-humans have caps for other classes.

jakkis

Novice
You call yourselves nerds? "depends on race" well ya know what races can be clerics? Do ya, punk? RTFM? Why don't you go read that rulebook and tell me if F or M cap at 5. Should know this shit by heart.

Also, of course my memory is perfect from 30 years ago, couldn't've been 8/8/5 or something, no..

The Limper

Educated
You call yourselves nerds? "depends on race" well ya know what races can be clerics? Do ya, punk? RTFM? Why don't you go read that rulebook and tell me if F or M cap at 5. Should know this shit by heart.

Also, of course my memory is perfect from 30 years ago, couldn't've been 8/8/5 or something, no..
If its really small at this stage in your life, it’s too late… it’s not going to get any bigger…. sorry we can’t help you with your real issue…

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer

Technically, it should be 5/8/8 since the classes are always listed alphabetically in the Gold-Box games. So, the correct class combination would be C/F/M. The only race that can be that combination of classes is a Half-Elf and only a Half-Elf Male can achieve 5/8/8 in levels (female is capped at 5/7/8 due to strength restriction of 17).

As to why you might have been stuck at 5/5/5, there are a couple of theories I'm turning over in my head:

1) You are misremembering what happened
2) The character was level-drained
3) The game was broken in some way
4) The level limits on Amiga were programmed wrong
5) The character did gain XP slowly, you only thought they didn't
6) You finished the game before hitting max level

Now, it could be any of these or none of these. Without more information or a look at the original game save, we will never know.

jakkis

Novice
^^^This is what I'm talking about and why I'm posting/musing here, if anyone would happen to know of quirks like char max lvl restrictions being locked at char gen, not being modified by "modifying" stats, bugs in different ports etc. I suffer no issues nor ailments, only a mild allergy towards idiots. Thinking it's a combination of case # 1, 3 or 4.

Or how does lvl drain work? Does it need to be healed, or can you gain xp / levels back just by gaining it back?

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
If a character is level drained by an undead in AD&D (and the Gold-Box games), they lose a level or two for each time they are afflicted (depending on the undead type that hits them) and their XP is reset to the beginning of whatever their new level becomes, I think. They can regain it normally, or they can visit a temple to have a Restoration spell cast upon them. In higher level games like "Pools of Darkness," Clerics in the party can eventually cast it themselves, but at low levels you have to pay someone to do it or find a scroll with the spell (it's a 7th level Cleric spell, so not easy to find). I seem to recall there being a "Lesser Restoration" spell in AD&D, but I don't recall if it exists in the Gold-Box games and I can't find any evidence that it does.

After thinking about it, I came up with another possibility of what could have happened:

If the character was ready to level up and then also got enough XP to level up again, they would stop gaining XP.

Example: A 1st level fighter needs 2,001 XP to reach level 2 and 4,001 XP to get to level 3. If a fighter were to hit enough XP to reach level 3 while they were still level 1, it would cap them at 1 point less than what they needed...so XP would be stuck at 4,000 and all XP gained would be lost. This is to prevent the character from gaining more than one level at a time. This might have been a rule in AD&D, but I can't find any indication of it at the moment (doesn't mean it doesn't exist, though).

I have seen an odd error occur where a character could get stuck because they need to level up in one of their multiclass levels, but the game prevents it for some reason and then the progression stops. Could be due to a mismatch in the code where the game thinks the character can level up but then the training hall correctly states they can't. This is all a theory, though; because I only saw it happen once (also with a Cleric/Fighter/Magic-User), but I don't remember which of the Gold-Box games I was playing when it happened to me (though I was not playing on an Amiga).

Anyway, something to think about.

jakkis

Novice
Could have been something like that. I was kinda young and not that good in English so I couldn't find my way around any locations if playing alone, mostly wandered the wilderness killing displacer beasts, ettins and black dragons. Maybe the f/m/C gained too much xp, more than double, maybe for multiple classes, so the game got confused.

Nice to know I might not be totally demented, that this sort of thing might be a real occurrence in gold box!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom