Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gold Box SSI's Gold Box Series Thread

What are your favorite Gold Box games?

• Pool of Radiance

• Curse of the Azure Bonds

• Secret of the Silver Blades

• Pools of Darkness

• Champions of Krynn

• Death Knights of Krynn

• The Dark Queen of Krynn

• Gateway to the Savage Frontier

• Treasures of the Savage Frontier

• Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday

• Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed

• Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures (FRUA)

Results are only viewable after voting.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Does anyone have the exact release order of the GB games? I'm trying to track when specific interface and graphical changes were introduced, and Wikipedia/MobyGames only list the year for most entries. In particular, I want to see whether Gateway or Death Knights released first.

• Death Knights of Krynn - July 1991
  • Gateway to the Savage Frontier - August 1991
According to this. https://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/347751/chronological-order-of-gold-box-games

mediocrepoet

Patron
A more complete answer from that thread I noted above is:

• Pool of Radiance (1988)
  • Curse of the Azure Bonds (1989)
  • Champions of Krynn (1990)
  • Secret of the Silver Blades (1990)
  • Neverwinter Nights - March 1991
  • Death Knights of Krynn - July 1991
  • Gateway to the Savage Frontier - August 1991
  • Pools of Darkness - December 1991
  • Treasures of the Savage Frontier - August 1992
  • Dark Queen of Krynn - September 1992

This may not be 100% accurate, especially in the case of the two Savage Frontier/Krynn games, which released so close to each other, but I cannot find any more accurate information.

Buck Rogers was reviewed by Scorpia in January 1991, so we can put the release date to December 1990, which would put the game before Neverwinter Nights and after Secret of the silver blades.

Buck Rogers 2 was reviewed in May 1992, so would slot in after Pools of Darkness.

Some of these release dates are so close together, I think it would be hard to say that they didn't iterate somewhat independently of one another.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
According to my notes Death Knights was released February 27? 1991 and Gateway was released July 22 1991.
Death Knights was on the Top 25 best selling games list as of March 31, so it must have been released before that.

I also have Pools of Darkness at August 28, 1991.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Red_Dragon_klein.jpg

It's a specimen from Champions of Krynn in the Amiga version.
Jeff Easley's cover for Dragonlance adventure module DL2 Dragons of Flame:

dl2.jpg

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
speaking of pics. Does anyone know how many animation frames are in these older games? I've always wanted a complete database of the BT, MM, Wiz, GB, and various ones like wasteland etc. are there dat rippers to gif format out there for the dos version and others. I'm telling ya, various platforms don't get the gallery archive attention they deserve..
Don't know about Gold Box specifically, but The Cutting Room Floor has a metric ton of stuff on digging through these old games. Some program or another in there should help. Even if the format of the images they used is unique, owing to the relative popularity of the engine someone has probably documented it.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Here's what I found by scouring the Internet. Not vouching for the accuracy, mind you:

June 1988 - Pool of Radiance
July 1989 - Curse of the Azure Bonds
Jan 1990 - Secret of the Silver Blades
Jan 1990 - Buck Rogers XXV: Countdown to Doomsday
June 1990 - Champions of Krynn
March 1991 - Neverwinter Nights
May 1991- Gateway to the Savage Frontier
June 1991 - Death Knights of Krynn
Nov 1991 - Pools of Darkness
Jan 1992 - Buck Rogers XXV: Matrix Cubed
March 1992 - Death Knights of Krynn
May 1992 - Treasures of the Savage Frontier
March 1993 - Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I was watching this vid of FRUA POR

And it made me wonder how many people tried to convert the other GB games to FRUA like curse, silver, POD, krynn etc. I haven't looked at the detailed lists in s long time.

Luzur

Good Sir
I was watching this vid of FRUA POR

And it made me wonder how many people tried to convert the other GB games to FRUA like curse, silver, POD, krynn etc. I haven't looked at the detailed lists in s long time.

IIRC, there where (or maybe even still are) some projects with FRUA remakes of the goldboxes

still dont understand why no modern fan remakes are around

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Maybe creativity bug in people is lacking. It can be a bit overwhelming to start even a simple ACS project.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I wonder if a new spelljammer CRPG is in store because the last one was a buggy mess and could have been a hell of a lot better.

Codex Year of the Donut
Have any of you played the console-exclusive Goldbox adjacent games Warriors of the Eternal Sun or Order of the Griffon? They appear to use the D&D ruleset rather than AD&D.

[edit]
actually, seems Warriors of the Eternal Sun is an EoB-like? Ah well, I'll keep it in the post anyways.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Patron
Have any of you played the console-exclusive Goldbox adjacent games Warriors of the Eternal Sun or Order of the Griffon? They appear to use the D&D ruleset rather than AD&D.

I played Warriors of the Eternal Sun years and years ago, but it was a rental so I don't remember too much about it. I think that that's right though (that it was BECMI rather than AD&D). I'm also pretty sure it was short because I *think* I beat it during however long I had it rented. Sorry I can't give anything better than that, it was like 30 years ago.

mediocrepoet

Patron
What gave you that idea? It's very simple, but not first person clicky combat. See video at timestamp for combat.
see timestamped content

I thought this was RT, is it turn-based?

Yeah it's turn based, just simple as hell. You might think of it as similar to KotC1 (based on my hazy recollections and a skim through that video).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom