Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gold Box SSI's Gold Box Series Thread

What are your favorite Gold Box games?

• Pool of Radiance

• Curse of the Azure Bonds

• Secret of the Silver Blades

• Pools of Darkness

• Champions of Krynn

• Death Knights of Krynn

• The Dark Queen of Krynn

• Gateway to the Savage Frontier

• Treasures of the Savage Frontier

• Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday

• Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed

• Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures (FRUA)

Results are only viewable after voting.

alx3apps

Educated
Revenant, for some reason I cannot brofist your post (where is the brofist button?) so :bro:

alx3apps

Educated
Except Rangers get another 1/2 attack at level 8...
Damn, thought that was at 7th level, but that's fighters. Yeah, that would drive me insane, as there is a lot of game left...
I failed to read this part of the manual and dualed two of my fighters on level 6 in Curse. It was ok in Curse, but I regret it in PoD.

btw - really glad to see some excitement for the gold box games... Nothing else compares, or scratches my gaming itch like them!
:bro:

Cynic

Arcane
I think this may be impossible for non jail broken iphone 3GS. There used to be an app called iDos, but those fucktards pulled it from the store. Maybe on the next phone I get (most likely Windows) it might be easier but I'm not gonna be going for a hardware keyboard. Thanks for the info Revenant, PoR on the go is fucking awesome. It's my dream.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Wondering where I can find info about demi-human limitations? Didn't notice anything in the CotAB manual, but maybe ya'll are drawing from original AD&D manuals?
I believe the info is in the Appendix.

The documentation in CoAB is incomplete and misleading, since it only show hows much you can level in that game, and not in the whole series.

Revenant

Revenant, for some reason I cannot brofist your post (where is the brofist button?) so :bro:
Oh, thank you. I believe I have a compliment for you in return: you have the most awesome avatar on the whole Codex, my friend.

SlowTurns

Novice

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Wondering where I can find info about demi-human limitations? Didn't notice anything in the CotAB manual, but maybe ya'll are drawing from original AD&D manuals?
I believe the info is in the Appendix. And: the race charts on the internets.

Thanks. Man that lvl cap for half-elf rangers is one the of stupidest things I've ever seen... Humans can be more skilled as rangers than half-elven? Pffft!

There is an entire discussion of D&D race level limits here in case you wanted more info:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/pools-of-darkness-race-lvl-limits-wtf.70943/

Telengard

Arcane
I believe the info is in the Appendix. And: the race charts on the internets.

Thanks. Man that lvl cap for half-elf rangers is one the of stupidest things I've ever seen... Humans can be more skilled as rangers than half-elven? Pffft!
Yeah, I think TSR were a bit too heavy-handed in their level-limits too. But, back then at the time, they were still into the "The Old Races are in decline, the 5th Age will be the Age of Man" thing. Plus, there was still the idea that you would normally retire your character at "name" level, or 10ish, and all the limits do tend to fit more nicely if you're only going to be going up to 10 or so.

I always thought all the races being U for Thief was strange, too. Doing that, you're pretty much either saying that the Old Races have more of an "affinity" for thieving than anything else, or the Thief class is crap.

SlowTurns

Novice
Ahhh, I see, in context the limits make a little more sense. I retract my statement, it's not one of the stupidest things I've ever seen, it's just inconvenient for me :)

I don't think I've ever played PoD, but sounds like it would be a good idea. I'll keep in mind to either go pure human or look into some of the multi-classes. For the most part race is really only for roleplay value anyway.

alx3apps

Educated
Isn't this a game that you have to map out
All goldboxes have automap (you can walk as an arrow on map), but it's disabled in some areas. It wasn't the problem in PoR and PoD (most areas have maps). But it was painful in Curse and particularly in Secret. If you don't like mapping I recommend to download all the maps beforehand.

FuelBlooded

Scholar
I have an android 4.0.4 and now I'm downloading the BG2 demo on gemRB.

And generally I think android is the better OS on smartphones.

kmonster

Augur
In the inn you can replace your half-elf with a human ranger. Although starting only at level 5 (s)he'll catch up in levels with the rest quite fast and probably reach the level cap nevertheless, rangers only need 650,000 XP for level 11 while paladins need 1,050,000 for example.

7hm

Scholar
Forums went down when I posted this the first time, so repost:

Anyone have mouse driven dos games to suggest?

The gamepad can use up to 12 remapped keyboard commands (but work better with 8) but that includes the 4 arrow cursors. So anything that relies heavily on a lot of keys is probably out. But mouse + limited key selection would be fine.

So far I'm thinking MM3 + WoX. Eob and Dm style games should be mostly ok. Dark Sun is ok I guess. Other suggestions? Wiz 6 and 7 seem ok... Not having to do your own map is fairly crucial as they should be played on the go, but as long as maps can be downloaded it's not too bad. (It's not ideal, mapmaking is fun to an extent, but life is short and mapmaking required wouldn't be best for phones.)

I'm a couple hours into my MM3 phone playthrough. Other than the not being able to effectively take notes thing it's going great.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Well, I liked it but it may not be everyones cup of tea: Al-Qadim: The Genies Curse is like a single player Dark Sun, which I found not as good as DS:Shattered Lands, but better than DS: Wake of the Ravager. I am pretty sure the interface was nearly identical to DS, with a few changes since ... the guy had a slingshot. You may like it.

SlowTurns

Novice
Hey Folks I've been going a little crazy trying to figure out the Area of Effect for certain spells. I think I have them more or less figured out, with info from the manuals and trial and error, but every once in a while I get burned, or froze :)

Figured some folks here might be able to shed a little light on this for me. Hope it hasn't been already beaten to death but couldn't find anything... If anyone could help me 'draw' these spell areas, i'd appreciate.

Fireball: This is close but I don't think right. Appears to draw the spell from the center?
_XXX_
XXXXX
XXXXX
XXXXX
_XXX_

Stinking Cloud: Easy enough but worth noting it always seems to draw from the top left of the area.
XX
XX

ClouldKill: draws from the middle?
XXX
XXX
XXX

Ice Storm: Not sure on this one, manual says '5 Dia'

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I don't know about ice storm, but I think Cone of Cold is something like this.
___o____ (being the mage)
___X____
__XXX___
_XXXXX__

SlowTurns

Novice
Sounds silly but I'm making cards that I can throw over my monitor, on the battle grid to quickly see how the carnage will play out. One feature that I'm wishing was in the gold boxes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom