Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - action adventure from Respawn Entertainment

Self-Ejected

Lichtbringer

Self-Ejected
so whose alt is lichtbringer

is it neckbeard shitlord
It would seem I have severely offended somebody that enjoys sucking Disney's cock (that might explain the mouse avatar) and likes god awful writing.

:codexisfor:

Force Unleashed >>>>>> this lame nutombraider reskin.
Definitely.

U-8D8

Savant
Hard to believe that Codexers are passionately defending the god awful writing and Disney's "muh force is female and diverse" drivel in this game.

I hate the Disney movies without exception and I seriously doubt Fallen Order is all that good. I certainly think Disney is trying to promote their politics through their movies and I disagree with said politics thoroughly. But if you think I should lap up a poorly made point for the exclusive reason that I agree with its politics then you're delusional.

At least Starkiller didn't shit himself like Cal did when he saw Vader and didn't need to be rescued by a stronk ex-Jedi with bug-eyes.
Nah, he just channeled his force lightning with anime moves and spared Vader's life because "he's just that good." Seriously, if you're getting uppity about Fallen Order not having Vader wipe the floor with everyone and at the same time not complaining about how TFU series turned him into a punching bag, then I'm thinking your head is way too far up your ass for anyone to reach you.

Zibniyat

Arcane
He was so unbeatable you beat him twice in two games.

Keep pressing that "Q" button like a trained monkey till Vader drops dead.

Totally unneeded, if the player already used his skill to beat him then that should be it, not pile on with a pointless quick-time event. But I agree, the player could beat Vader...

Drakron

Arcane
You say Disney but lets see ...

Takes place after the Prequels before the OT so, its not about the Sequels and thus, not Disney.
The MC is a white male, his master was a bat-thing male.
The story is, of course, stuck having to deal with the OT existing and cannot go off rails so predictable things that cannot happen will not happen.

The claims to diversity quota is because of Judge Doom (serious, WTF?), Second and Nine Sisters and Saw and yes, its easy to point fingers because when are looking for things, you going to find then as well ignoring the rest ... Saw is pretty much just a plot device to get things moving as both Inquisitors are female but so what? I am not sure if they did what BF2 did with Stormtroopers having female voices and that was fucking weird (and thematically wrong as well).

Vader in this game is what Vader should be, a unstoppable machine were at no point he was losing, at best they could hold him for seconds but that was it and this is tricky because its easy to fall in the trap of making Vader a beatable boss so the player can fell good since he "defeated Vader".

If you go in looking for SWJ REEEEEEEEE then you will find it because even OT had female characters (Leia, Mom Martha), I found the Nightsister refreshing in the sense thats how female characters used to be before the 2015 wave, TFU was kinda of a crappy game for me because of QTE that were the fad back in its day, Fallen Order is also affected by Dark Souls mechanics but they are simply products of their time, TFU was more power fantasy for the Hot Topic crowd that really wanted to play a Sith (because they are cool and that man) or just power fantasy, I mean ... you fucking CREATE THE REBEL ALLIANCE IN THAT GAME! and not only you get to fight Vader but also Palpatine and its not one-sided (against you) because of course not.

I never liked the so called "epic" stories like TFU and prefer the smaller, more to the ground stories like this one ... this is a story about Cal coming to terms of his Master death and the misplaced guilt he have about it and this is mirrored by Cere own circumstances as well the Nightsister also having a very similar past and its not about rebuilding the Jedi Order (since that is doomed to failure, the closest you get to Disney is the way he gets that vision is like Rey does in that cave in TLJ) but not being stuck in the past and move on and all characters do that, starting by the Nightsister (who *is* Waifu) and that is how I have a better impression of it that of TFU.

PrettyDeadman

Keep pressing that "Q" button like a trained monkey till Vader drops dead.

Totally unneeded, if the player already used his skill to beat him then that should be it, not pile on with a pointless quick-time event. But I agree, the player could beat Vader...

Let's be honest, Vader is a bit of a wimp if you compare him to other sith/jedi in star wars universe outside of classic star wars movies.

How can Vader deal with someone who can force pull an entire intergalactic spaceship to the ground?

Last edited by a moderator:
Codex Year of the Donut
the only star wars games I've played are kotor2 and lego star wars(and I think one with a janky podracing minigame but I can't remember which one that was)
am I missing out on anything?

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
the only star wars games I've played are kotor2 and lego star wars(and I think one with a janky podracing minigame but I can't remember which one that was)
Empire at War is an awesome RTS.
Also try Galactic Battlegrounds.
The entire Jedi Knight series.
Dark Forces before that.
I didn't think Force Unleashed was all that good, they are ok-ok.
Then this, Fallen Order.

I don't like Star Wars all that much, but they do have some good games.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Everything Dedicated_Dark recommended is solid, though I have no clue what Fallen Order is like, probably shit.

I'd like to add the Star Wars space sim games:
X-Wing
TIE-Fighter
X-Wing vs TIE-Fighter: Balance of Power
X-Wing Alliance

and also:
Star Wars Episode I: Racer (great racing game)
The Rogue Squadron series (arcade flight sim)
Republic Commando (great FPS game)

Empire at War has a rather substantial modding scene, the most ambitious of the mods being Empire at War Remake. KOTOR 2 has the restoration fan patch that adds a lot of cut content back into the game and KOTOR 1 is worth a playthrough if you have nothing better to do.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Defending the certified dogshit that is The Force Unleased to own Disney :cool:
Rail on this game all you want, i'm certain there is plenty to bitch about, but don't pretend TFU has anything going for it besides the novelty of watching a stormtrooper ragdoll across the room after being force-pushed.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Empire at War has a rather substantial modding scene, the most ambitious of the mods being Empire at War Remake.

There's also mods for the clone war and for post OT, based on the old extended universe. The ground combat isn't very good, but the space combat is really something.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Empire at War has a rather substantial modding scene, the most ambitious of the mods being Empire at War Remake.

There's also mods for the clone war and for post OT, based on the old extended universe. The ground combat isn't very good, but the space combat is really something.
A few mods are working on their own ground combat overhauls, so there's hope they can improve it somewhat.

Codex Year of the Donut
Dark Forces before that.
Then this, Fallen Order.

Everything Dedicated_Dark recommended is solid, though I have no clue what Fallen Order is like, probably shit.

X-Wing
TIE-Fighter
X-Wing Alliance

and also:

Empire at War has a rather substantial modding scene, the most ambitious of the mods being Empire at War Remake. KOTOR 2 has the restoration fan patch that adds a lot of cut content back into the game and KOTOR 1 is worth a playthrough if you have nothing better to do.

Jedi Knight Series, X-Wing series, KOTOR 1, SWG
are any of these rpgs?

Irata

Scholar
And if she had to use the dark side to win (she didn't), thats not a good thing in Star Wars anyway.
In every fight between a good Jedi and bad Jedi the only time the good Jedi wins is when he lets go.
SW: Obi Wan vs Darth Vader - Obi Wan loses. I always felt that Obi Wan knew he could have won, but he lets himself get killed. So that's a loss.
ESB: Luke vs Darth Vader - Luke doesn't get pissed. Darth Vader destroys Luke.
RotJ: Luke vs Darth Vader 2 - Darth Vader again is crushing Luke. Luke gets pissed. Luke wins.
PM: Liam Neeson vs Darth Maul - Darth Maul kills the shining image of Jedi calmness.
PM: Young Obi Wan vs Darth Maul - Obi Wan is now pissed that Neeson is dead. Cuts Maul in half.

I've never seen the rest. Except the Obi Wan fight with Boba Fett, but that isn't a Jedi fight. I presume Samuel Jackson gets killed by Vader though. I'll also presume he doesn't get pissed.

How can Vader deal with someone who can force pull an entire intergalactic ship?
You can't have a Jedi pulling battleships out of orbit. That's silly even by comic book standards.

Minor characters should never overshadow the main characters regardless. Even if the unique character is the protagonist in the game he is still a minor character. The videogame story sits much lower on the hierarchy than the movies. That puts all videogame characters behind the movie ones. Darth Vader always has to be the baddest dude and Luke his goody two-shoes counterpart.

Irata

Scholar
I would assume so. From Star Wars:
Tarkin - The Jedi are extinct. Their fire has gone out of the universe. You, my friend, are all that's left of their religion.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dark Forces before that.
Then this, Fallen Order.

X-Wing
TIE-Fighter
X-Wing Alliance

and also:

Jedi Knight Series, X-Wing series, KOTOR 1, SWG
are any of these rpgs?
KOTOR 1. For Jedi Knight, you can choose which force power to have, but that's it. SWG is a MMORPG

J1M

Arcane
This uses unreal engine, so it should be pretty easy to adjust the configs. Has anyone figured out where to turn off the depth of field in the .ini files? There should be a law against putting that shit in games.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
"Even in the fucking Force Unleashed where you played a stupidly OP DONUT STEEL Vader and Palpatine were still basically unbeatable.

And just to rub salt in the wound, he make's a point of saying he let Vader live.

You can complain about Fallen Order all you want, but call The Force Unleashed -where the kid main character just yoinks Vader's saber right outta his hand- restrained in comparison and I'm gonna cry foul. The ending of Fallen Order is tame compared to that bullshit.

No, they're both dogshit. FU is obviously dumber, but we're talking about two piles of dog shit.

why does star wars have to be gay

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Nothing I hate more in games than forced failure, and then to follow it up with a long arena battle... all of it feeling out of place... it's like the game wants me to chuck it.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In every fight between a good Jedi and bad Jedi the only time the good Jedi wins is when he lets go.
SW: Obi Wan vs Darth Vader - Obi Wan loses. I always felt that Obi Wan knew he could have won, but he lets himself get killed. So that's a loss.
ESB: Luke vs Darth Vader - Luke doesn't get pissed. Darth Vader destroys Luke.
RotJ: Luke vs Darth Vader 2 - Darth Vader again is crushing Luke. Luke gets pissed. Luke wins.
PM: Liam Neeson vs Darth Maul - Darth Maul kills the shining image of Jedi calmness.
PM: Young Obi Wan vs Darth Maul - Obi Wan is now pissed that Neeson is dead. Cuts Maul in half.

Really feel like you’re missing the entire point of this franchise, such as it is. The Jedi are the good guys—they’re not playing the same game as the Sith. When the Jedi achieve their goals through violence, those victories are fleeting and often pave the way for a much more devastating loss down the road. Anakin is a badass murder machine when he gets pissed and that’s the problem: his conversion to the dark side destroys both the Jedi order and the Republic. When he beats and beheads Dooku in episode 3, he’s winning the battle but losing the war. If Anakin had spared Dooku, he would’ve revealed Palpatine and the Jedi would’ve won.

When Kenobe dies, that’s not a defeat. He’s telling the truth when he says, “strike me down and I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.” His force ghost ultimately helps Luke bring down the Empire.

When Luke embraces his anger near the end of RotJ, he overcomes Vader, sure, but he almost succumbs to the dark side. That’s his lowest point, not his highest point. He wins when he throws his lightsaber away and redeems his dad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom