Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - action adventure from Respawn Entertainment

Codex Year of the Donut
Again, this is not how the Force works
oh piss off, the force has never been anything more than a plot device that does whatever is needed.
Alright, let me try it from a different angle - if the Force allows users to utilize Dark Side powers whenever they are needed with no consequence, then the Dark Side as a storytelling device is useless.

The whole point of the Dark Side is that it's insidious, it creeps inside you and takes you over without you realising.

It even threatened Luke, who is basically Space Jesus in the films. He has to actually throw away his Lightsaber and effectively commit suicide in order to avoid succumbing to it. It's only Vader turning at the last moment that saves him, otherwise he'd (literally) be toast.

This works as a plot element because we recognize the great sacrifice involved with throwing away one's weapon and exposing one's self to utter annihilation, all to avoid succumbing to an evil 'Force'. And we can recognize the poetry of one who has previously succumbed to it, being the force that eventually saves Luke.

Say what you like about Star Wars, it is a flawed franchise, but this is one of the greatest moments in movie history.

By comparison, Cere's use of the Dark Side is a cheap trick that throws away every established rule of how the Dark Side works. It's employed purely to aggrandize this character, make her appear more impressive, but it has the opposite effect.
I've never even played the game and I'm sure it was at least as well written as any non-EU star wars entry made in the past 35 years.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If it's a trilogy I would guess her dipping into the dark side again will play a role in the future games. It's definitely not done nonchalantly like it doesn't matter at all, it's a focal point of her character. Also Rusty is right that the force is kind of an ass-pull to explain everything half the time. People act like that's a new thing with Rey in the new movies, but they always used it to have the chosen ones do anything they needed to at any time, to the point of jumping the height of skyscrapers in fucking Revenge of the Sith.

Yosharian

Arcane
If it's a trilogy I would guess her dipping into the dark side again will play a role in the future games. It's definitely not done nonchalantly like it doesn't matter at all, it's a focal point of her character. Also Rusty is right that the force is kind of an ass-pull to explain everything half the time. People act like that's a new thing with Rey in the new movies, but they always used it to have the chosen ones do anything they needed to at any time, to the point of jumping the height of skyscrapers in fucking Revenge of the Sith.
But I'm not critiquing future games, I'm critiquing this one.

I never said it was done nonchalantly, I said it was a cheap trick because there were no consequences. (Passing out for a few minutes from the strain is not a reasonable consequence for using the most evil power in the universe)

Force Jump is a commonly used power in the extended universe and in many SW games, and doesn't break lore. Apples and oranges

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
But I'm not critiquing future games, I'm critiquing this one.

I never said it was done nonchalantly, I said it was a cheap trick because there were no consequences. (Passing out for a few minutes from the strain is not a reasonable consequence for using the most evil power in the universe)

Force Jump is a commonly used power in the extended universe and in many SW games, and doesn't break lore. Apples and oranges

I mean, I agree in general that stories are best when they're self-contained, but that ship sailed a long time ago. If you judged Empire Strikes Back without thinking of it as part of a whole then you'd have way more complaints about its plot than this game's. As for the rest, I'm not really one for anal inspections of continuity. The example of super jumping jedi was to point out new shit is always introduced in newer games/movies. Luke's big jedi leap was about 8 feet in Return of the Jedi, then suddenly they're literally flying in the prequels. It's all based on the needs of the current story and the ability to depict what they want at the time.

I'm not even sure I agree the old stuff depicted the dark side as an all in or all out thing anyway. Anakin dabbled back and forth before going all in, and then went all out in one swift stroke. Rey in the new ones has trouble resisting her rage and whatnot. Then there's the obvious KotOR stuff.

wahrk

Learned
I'm not even sure I agree the old stuff depicted the dark side as an all in or all out thing anyway. Anakin dabbled back and forth before going all in, and then went all out in one swift stroke. Rey in the new ones has trouble resisting her rage and whatnot. Then there's the obvious KotOR stuff

It’s not all in or all out but if a character draws on the dark side the story should deal with the repercussions. Video games are different because they have to mechanically depict the force as D&D space magic spells but it’s not supposed to be something you can just dabble in occasionally with no consequences.

At least, that’s the OT depiction of the force (which is really the only thing that matters). Even the super jumping Jedi of the prequels were starting to stray from the concept with shit like midichlorians. EU has all sorts of nonsense.

Togukawa

Savant
Patron
There were no consequences because she had someone else stop her. If the protagonist hadn't been there, it's heavily implied she would have succumbed to the dark side and that would have been it. As it was, she was saved a first time by the protagonist. Then, she manages to stop Vader's saber attack for a whopping few seconds, and his saber was penetrating deeper and deeper by the second. Then she gets saved a second time.

Luke is space Jesus because he managed to overcome the lure of the dark side by himself. He didn't have or need anyone else to save him, he did it himself.

I do agree that there should be long term consequences to her use of the dark side, but that's something for a sequel. There probably won't be and that might ruin the second game for me, but not this one.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I do agree that there should be long term consequences to her use of the dark side, but that's something for a sequel. There probably won't be and that might ruin the second game for me, but not this one.

Way things are right now, I won't be surprised if she's the player character in the second one.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Again, this is not how the Force works
oh piss off, the force has never been anything more than a plot device that does whatever is needed.
Alright, let me try it from a different angle - if the Force allows users to utilize Dark Side powers whenever they are needed with no consequence, then the Dark Side as a storytelling device is useless.

The whole point of the Dark Side is that it's insidious, it creeps inside you and takes you over without you realising.

It even threatened Luke, who is basically Space Jesus in the films. He has to actually throw away his Lightsaber and effectively commit suicide in order to avoid succumbing to it. It's only Vader turning at the last moment that saves him, otherwise he'd (literally) be toast.

This works as a plot element because we recognize the great sacrifice involved with throwing away one's weapon and exposing one's self to utter annihilation, all to avoid succumbing to an evil 'Force'. And we can recognize the poetry of one who has previously succumbed to it, being the force that eventually saves Luke.

Say what you like about Star Wars, it is a flawed franchise, but this is one of the greatest moments in movie history.

By comparison, Cere's use of the Dark Side is a cheap trick that throws away every established rule of how the Dark Side works. It's employed purely to aggrandize this character, make her appear more impressive, but it has the opposite effect.
Actually... Now that I think of it... The "style" of evil is quite distinct when Palpatine shoots Luke. That is, the evil manifesting as glee in torture. Which is something Force Lightning can do. Perhaps there is no Jedi using Force Lightning simply because it's an asshole and tortuous method. Who knows, maybe they can power a light bulb.

Hello.

I have a problem with the CODEX version of the game. I installed it two weeks or more ago and it worked very well, but today it stopped working.

I already tried changing the date to December last year and also deleting the Orangeemu.dll, but nothing happened, it does not start directly. Always run it as administrator but nothing. I do not think it is the drivers are the problem, because I updated those of an amd (R9 280X) to some beta several days ago and it was worse, the game dragged directly. I had to go back to the previous ones for it to work.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, but it didn't help at all. Update W10 and it didn't work either.

Do you have any idea what it could be?

Thanks and regards.

Yeah, you need the fate unlock code.

I see, i hear about it. It's in your ass, right, but which buttock? Can I sleep with you to find out, or do I have to rape you? This is really important to me, give me a chance dude.
No way fag.
Seriously though maybe there's a more updated version out there?

There isn't. I search around the web and torrent sites, and simply put, there is no other version, except for the Fitgirl repack, which I heard works worse than the Codex one. Why do you think i asked here otherwise?. Besides, as far as know, there are no update versions of cracked games from Denuvo. Not that i remember at least, maybe i'm wrong, but for this game it doesn't.

Maybe i should try that repack, but i don't really want to. And i won't buy it from the epic store, no way i'm gonna give my money for those assholes after a decade of ignoring the pc gaming.

So, there's no solution for this?.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I'm sorry but you're a retard for coming to RPG Codex of all places to ask this. Go ask about this in a place that's more appropriate

I'm sorry but you're a retard for coming to RPG Codex of all places to ask this. Go ask about this in a place that's more appropriate

Suggestions?.

And i won't buy it from the epic store, no way i'm gonna give my money for those assholes after a decade of ignoring the pc gaming.

It's not an Epic exclusive, you idiot. Obviously you never even considered paying for it, or you'd know that.

I knew that, never said that was exclusive, but it's cheaper there than steam and origin. Still, not gonna buy it. I refuse. It's EA people, my money is not going to their pockets either.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom