Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stardew Valley: Indie Harvest Moon on PC

J1M

Arcane
Can anyone recommend a light-hearted farming sim like this that is more focused on the planning and engineering challenges, and less on the daily watering? ie. You have a stream and can dig dikes to water your crops. The gameplay is how best to plan and dig the dikes, not a daily chore to repair them.

If you don't like chores = reward combo of farming games then maybe you should try this :

I actually have that on my steam wishlist, but I don't buy early access games.

Mozg

Arcane
Did this guy do early access? I know he at least had a little following playing the game but was it "official" Steam EA?

This went from "I never heard of it" to huge hit. I'm wondering if having a traditional release with Chucklefish bribing streamers as advertisement to get a real release sales spike might make EA + months of trickle followed by a limping release unfashionable.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The dev guy seems like such a wriggling millenial hug bug larva that I'm worried he gave away a huge % to Chucklefist.

e2ee687abb.png

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
"I need to find bad things to say about this game and its developer because it was published by Chucklefish, and I don't like Chucklefish."

-- Idiots

I don't like Chucklefish, either. That faggot hipster stole $500 from me and Starbound is shit.

Mozg

Arcane
I'd never heard of Chucklefish before this. Just interested.

I wonder how much money this guy owes to the time he used refining his pixel art. The old NPC avatars have that fucked look that makes me immediately skip over shit in the steam store on the assumption that if they don't have the taste not to use that the rest must suck too.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Think of it this way, they might as well be funding Stardew Valley 2.

(Or Stardew Valley ports. Vita begging starts now)

Mozg

Arcane
Think of it this way, they might as well be funding Stardew Valley 2.

(Or Stardew Valley ports. Vita begging starts now)

Hope he takes another 8 years so everyone can forget how boring Harvest Moon games really are again.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
I dunno if this is just from a recent update or not, but your fruit trees can now be destroyed by lightning. You know what to do, gentlemen.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
That's some bullshit. My childhood home has tons of trees out back, there are lots of thunderstorms in the region during summertime, and none have ever been struck. Thunderstorms happen like every other damn during during SDV summers and most of them hit at least one plant of some kind, and probably more.

Fortunately, lightning rods help prevent most of it.

Fargus

Arcane
Beginning of March ~300k sales. End of March ~800k sales. This is insane.

What also insane is how much hours i've spent and how much fun i've had with one of the cheapest games i've ever bought. At first i thought this is just a fun game to kill off a few hours, but SV is very addictive.

Mozg

Arcane
This is gonna have sold over a million copies pretty soon.

So what other old weird SNES games are waiting to be giant indie hits?

Where is indie ActRaiser

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
It already did that a couple of weeks ago. Not all sales are through Steam. Also, although some people have suggested that the publisher's taking a huge cut for some reason, they didn't fund the game's development and so it's highly doubtful they're taking more than a small cut. Either way, the guy's now a multimillionaire.

He clearly deserves it, too. He developed the entire game himself, from the art to the programming to the music. I got about 70 hours out of SDV, and I consider it time and money well-spent.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
To be fair Harvest Moon was hardly some obscure niche market; it got a ton of sequels and a rival franchise. Though if we're making wishes for SNES era games getting spiritual sequels, sign me up for Secret of Evermore and Metal Warriors.

Though what I'd really like to see is Azure Dreams get a proper sequel.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I played through Illusion of Gaia back in the day, and it was novel at the time, but lets be real here- that was cutscenes: the game. You spend like half an hour on a raft in the ocean doing nothing but waiting for text boxes and plenty of other points in the game force you to wait around while a cutscene plays out. And the actual gameplay parts weren't that special compared to other games of that style. Music and artstyle were solid though.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I just liked the Zelda-ish action points the most. You could switch out Illusion of Gaia with Soul Blazer for all I care.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I played through Illusion of Gaia back in the day, and it was novel at the time, but lets be real here- that was cutscenes: the game. You spend like half an hour on a raft in the ocean doing nothing but waiting for text boxes and plenty of other points in the game force you to wait around while a cutscene plays out. And the actual gameplay parts weren't that special compared to other games of that style. Music and artstyle were solid though.

Yeah, I really enjoyed Illusion of Gaia back in the day, but I'm not sure I'd enjoy it now.

The Christmas when we got our Super Nintendo is the childhood Christmas I remember best. It was 1994; my grandfather had died that year, and my grandmother—who earned her PhD in maths while raising five children, was extremely kindhearted and generous, and was the matriarch of the family—wanted everyone to be together for the holidays. She rented a large house in Virginia Beach that year. It wasn't a terribly eventful Christmas other than the SNES. With the SNES came Super Mario World of course, Donkey Kong Country, and finally Secret of Mana, which I'm fairly sure was the first jRPG I ever played (I don't think I had any for Game Boy, and it was just as well because Game Boy RPGs mostly sucked if I recall correctly).

The SNES still functions perfectly to this day and my mother's "boyfriend's" sons (it's complicated, etc.) played Secret of Mana together with it during their childhoods while they were visiting. Great boys, very personable and athletic, one is graduating this year with a music degree and the other's a junior in physics)

Actually, I was wrong, there WAS something eventful that Christmas. When we arrived at the beach house (Mom, Dad, sister, and me), my aunt and uncle had moved themselves into one large bedroom and moved our two cousins into another large bedroom, leaving only a room with two bunk beds for all four of us, parents and two kids. Dad was having none of that garbage, so he just picked up our cousins' shit, marched it into the bunk bed room, and moved his and my mother's stuff into the large bedroom. :lol:

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
"One of the best RPGs in recent memory, offering true freedom between good and evil approaches to quests":

On my first play through the game, I followed the direction that the game seemed to push me towards - playing a hard-working farmer that befriended the townsfolk, and worked to unite the community and drive away the evil corporation that I used to work for in my previous life.

On my second character, I went the opposite direction, and role played a girl who didn't bother so much with farming, but spent her time making easy money, and working to cement Joja's foothold on the town. Both ways were equally satisfying, and did not lock me out of some of the optional features and areas of the town.

With a little bit of imagination, you will find the game offers a surprising amount of replayability. In contrast to some AAA games, at no point was I railroaded into taking a certain approach to roleplaying, and the game did not artificially heap guilt upon me for assisting the "bad guys".

• Addictive
  • Great atmosphere and world
  • Allows freedom and creativity
  • New content to be added in the future

4/5

http://www.rpgwatch.com/articles/stardew-valley-review-375.html

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom