Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield - Epic Shit Takes from Bethestards

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Since @Vic unignored me I'm temporarily back until he gets extreme butthurt again that I don't love the game.
you unignored me first tho
Did Starfield make your brain smooth or were you already a schizo?
are you saying you didn't ignore me and then unignored me because you wanted to know about the latest codex drama?

my bad then, I must be remembering wrong
You do remember wrong. I have just noticed you unignored me last time I checked my ignore list, so I unignored you as well.

Iucounu

Educated
I wasn't really following this game much and only heard that it wasn't that hot. For some reason, I clicked on a video today, and it somehow left me speechless. I guess this may be old stuff to you, but it wasn't for me.

Tell me, this is a mod...

That was comically bad, even for a dating simulator. Is the female a robot? Interesting choice of romantic ambience music as well.

Iucounu

Educated
They'd need an overhaul the scale of Cyberpunk 2.0 to even dream of getting a positive reception from mainstream gamers.
Oh, you mean an overhaul where they break basic shit that was previously working? It'll be tough, but I'm sure Bethesda can rise to CDPR's level on that.
Seems so:

"we’re targeting updates roughly every six weeks starting in February. These updates will include everything from quality-of-life improvements to content and feature updates."
https://bethesda.net/en/game/starfi...KcVtGcY/starfield-end-of-the-year-update-2023

Old Hans

Arcane
I wasn't really following this game much and only heard that it wasn't that hot. For some reason, I clicked on a video today, and it somehow left me speechless. I guess this may be old stuff to you, but it wasn't for me.

That was comically bad, even for a dating simulator. Is the female a robot? Interesting choice of romantic ambience music as well.

it really highlights how bad the conversation system is. it's like everyone is on a Skype call

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Starfield hits ‘mostly negative’ on Steam, players complain of boredom
Previously sitting at 'mixed', Starfield's Steam rating has dropped to 'mostly negative', with players describing the game as boring.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/starfield/mostly-negative-reviews
The consensus amongst the negative reviews is that while there’s a lot to do, players just don’t find the game very interesting
Bethesda was, at one point, replying to negative Starfield reviews, but that seems to have been put on hold

starfieldnasa.jpg

Lemming42

Arcane
What actually did cause that spike in negative reviews? Yeah yeah game sucks and so on and so forth but iirc, it was sitting at a suitably-embarrassing "Mostly Positive" until this week or last week.

Is it down to Emil's twitter fiasco? Been seeing a lot of YouTube recommendations titled shit like "SUBHUMAN RETARD WRITER BLAMES GAMERS FOR NOT LIKING TERRIBLE GAME, IDIOT FOOL CAN'T WRITE FOR SHIT AND DESERVES DEATH" with like eight trillion views so maybe he kicked a hornet's nest?

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
What actually did cause that spike in negative reviews? Yeah yeah game sucks and so on and so forth but iirc, it was sitting at a suitably-embarrassing "Mostly Positive" until this week or last week.

Is it down to Emil's twitter fiasco? Been seeing a lot of YouTube recommendations titled shit like "SUBHUMAN RETARD WRITER BLAMES GAMERS FOR NOT LIKING TERRIBLE GAME, IDIOT FOOL CAN'T WRITE FOR SHIT AND DESERVES DEATH" with like eight trillion views so maybe he kicked a hornet's nest?
I imagine it was a mix of Emil's rant and the mind-bogglingly stupid responses to negative reviews.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Could starfield be fixed if they took all the barren planets markers and added something interesting to them? Every planet I landed on and walked to a point had either the same generic base or the pure fucking cancer of scanning a mushroom/crystal. If they took all the scanning shit away would the game be improved enough to explore or not?

No, the way to improve it is to focus on being a better space exploration game. This game isn't about walking around randomly on planet surfaces. Aside from just adding more content, one of the main things they need to improve is finding ways to remove or hide as many loading screens as they can during space travel and exploration.

I personally am not bothered much by loading screens. I have dealt with far worse loading screens in games of yore, but it does seem to be something that bothers a lot of people and turns them away from exploring space in this game the way the developers built a significant chunk of the content around.

Vic

Savant
Game is good for what it is
What is it then?

It's not good for an RPG.
It's not good for an Action game.
It's not good for a base building game.
It's not good for a space sim.

It's good for what? Retard bait?
it's good for a sandbox game with space exploration, looter shooter gear grind and bethesda style quest content. none of the individual elements are good per se but I don't know what other game combines it all into what we have now. there's also some autistic collectathon with the powers.

starfield is a slow, "boring", make your own fun type of sandbox game. If you're older and looking for a more relaxing sandbox space exploration game with crafting and some decent quests it's p good. It's not going to appease the cyberpunk crowd.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated

Review bombed for trying to tell autists they're wrong to be bored. And autists playing it over Christmas and getting bored.

It's not a relaxing looter shooter because every planet is empty and the loot is basically identical. You can't even craft very much because you need to rank it up to make anything remotely good. And who the fuck wants a weight limit and stamina in a space exploration game? Have to use a console command to remove that shit or play as fat fuck McDonalds man.

I don't know why this bit of the post went bold. I tried to fix it. I am almost as retarded as Vic today.

Vic

Savant
It's not a relaxing looter shooter because every planet is empty and the loot is basically identical. You can't even craft very much because you need to rank it up to make anything remotely good. And who the fuck wants a weight limit and stamina in a space exploration game? Have to use a console command to remove that shit or play as fat fuck McDonalds man.
you are a guy who gets bored by 2 lines of dialogue

Lemming42

Arcane
It's good for what? Retard bait?
Competent shooter with a few fun quests and action scenes. Ranger questline is fun, Pirate questline is fun, United Colonies questline is okay. Plus one or two good sidequests like the generational ship.

It's the first Bethesda game I can think of where they should have actively done less - MW/Skyrim/etc feel like sketches of great games that haven't been fleshed out properly, while Starfield feels like a solid Far Cry style FPS trapped inside the rotted shell of a Bethesda game. Scrap the procgen exploration shit, cut down on the pointless empty towns, combine all the quests into a campaign, and you've got a decent FPS game.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
you are a guy who gets bored by 2 lines of dialogue
I get bored by excessive bland dialog and you're ignoring the 50 second cut scene telling you how to open a door before the 2 lines then tell you how to open a door and start a cut scene of the door opening. Today I was playing Tears of the Kingdom, finished the tutorial and got into the first town. The game then gave me a full recap of the intro cut scene and everything I did in the tutorial. I don't think that kind of padding is acceptable and I don't want it in games.

Starfield is not a competent shooter. The AI breaks constantly and you have to play it as lol!bethesda rather than something functional. I especially loved my companion pinning me into a corner during a firefight because the AI decided to pin me against a box and refused to move for several minutes because neither side could hit each other or leave cover during a fire fight.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
I imagine it was a mix of Emil's rant and the mind-bogglingly stupid responses to negative reviews.
also Todd's comments about the development process. - TLDR; is that he is complexity/risk averse and wants to push accessibility above all else. The part that annoyed me the most was hearing him reference older dos games as influences... ok dude you KNOW of these games but its clear you learned nothing from them. Simply name dropping a game doesn't make you cool Todd, actually explaining how the mechanics worked and what didn't would go a lot further to confirm you're not a total poser. Its more insulting that he does know these games because it means he chose the path he's on, that its not just him being ignorant its that he's making calculated choices to fuck everything up and that's far far worse.

This seems to be a big source as well as why people lost total confidence, because Todd is completely and utterly delusional. The gist of it is, he killed the golden goose by moving everything away from what previously Bethesda had done right to now focusing on games that don't offend and don't push the player at all. Combine all 3 and you have an incredibly out of touch studio being lead by someone ignorant of why they're losing public support and the behaviour that Bethesda always doubles down instead of self correcting or apologizing (fallout 76 proved that) plus there was the revealation that Bethesda doesn't document their process at all - that TES6 was only announced to people please and they had no intention at all of actually developing it until star field was completed - so basically Todd has been completely lying about TES6's development just as he did with Starfield.

And then also add Adding Creation Club to Skyrim recently.... yeaaaaaah they're doing everything in their power to make the entire world turn on them.
Good.. Fuck em!

That "Good UI" comment from Todd. God fucking damn. He really is delusional if he thinks Starfield has a good UI.
He also confirmed the rendering system was redone again, validating my pre-release point that they had done something wrong with threading which has resulted in such god awful performance, and we know this because Fallout 4 had the same issue but with Starfield its even worse due to bad practices.

Last edited:

Latelistener

Arcane
This seems to be a big source as well as why people lost total confidence, because Todd is completely and utterly delusional.
When the dude came to Bethesda, he wanted to make sports games. The success of Morrowind wasn't even on him, but he rode it into Oblivion and younger game designers who came to Bethesda went to him for advice, not to Ken Rolston. And that resulted in Oblivion, which was an absolute clusterfuck of a game design. The only bright spot was side quests.

Skyrim was a huge success because they fixed some glaring issues of Oblivion and released it at the right time with no competition, not because it was a particularly great game (New Vegas was a lot better). Add to that a great PR work and a massive modding community.

Basically, people put a crown on a person making him a gaming messiah, but when he finally got his own game, an unlimited budget and no time constraints, all he could is this. This is an elephant in the room no one seems to be talking about. Only a handful of game designers gain this kind of freedom and he doesn't even understand why people love Elder Scrolls.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Basically, people put a crown on a person making him a gaming messiah, but when he finally got his own game, an unlimited budget and no time constraints, all he could is this. This is an elephant in the room no one seems to be talking about. Only a handful of game designers gain this kind of freedom and he doesn't even understand why people love Elder Scrolls.
That's exactly why I hate him probably the most even more than Molyeneux, because he's able to create any game he wants... and THIS is the crap he comes up with!? It's insulting to every game developer out there who's working their ass off. Molyeneux's fault is that he's an ideas guy, Howard's issue isn't so much that he's an ideas guy its that he doesn't have a single original idea in his head he's coasted along off everyone else's creativity for too long and now he's proven it with his "original IP" which is a disaster. I'm really glad though that things finally caught up with him and people are correctly now holding him to account.

Oh also another reason for the hate was the mod community turning on Starfield as well that converted a lot of people that were previously chugging copium "Mods will fix it" well Modders hate the game so no mods.

Iucounu

Educated

it really highlights how bad the conversation system is. it's like everyone is on a Skype call

In better games there's often variation in perspective during animated dialogs, but I guess that requires 3rd-person view?

Maybe Starfield's mistake is trying to combine animated dialogs with 1st-person view: if the player was free to move his character around you'd avoid the Skype call effect, but then I guess the player would miss out on the (poor) facial animations instead.

gruntar

Augur

It was on a big sale about month ago, and since all Bethestards got it at launch, those are reviews from normal people not skewed by copium and fanboyism, hence the result.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
That's exactly why I hate him probably the most even more than Molyeneux, because he's able to create any game he wants... and THIS is the crap he comes up with!? It's insulting to every game developer out there who's working their ass off. Molyeneux's fault is that he's an ideas guy, Howard's issue isn't so much that he's an ideas guy its that he doesn't have a single original idea in his head he's coasted along off everyone else's creativity for too long and now he's proven it with his "original IP" which is a disaster. I'm really glad though that things finally caught up with him and people are correctly now holding him to account.

Oh also another reason for the hate was the mod community turning on Starfield as well that converted a lot of people that were previously chugging copium "Mods will fix it" well Modders hate the game so no mods.
If Todd is to be believed, he is making his dream game but having to make it a commercial product. Todd wants to see a patch of daisies half way up a cliff and be able to talk 2 miles to them to pick one. He likes exploring environments and that's his core interest in these open world games. If you were Todd and you fast traveled to a huge empty planet with lots of flowers to pick and a few animals to watch you would be so fucking happy with the experience. If you're any one expecting an actual game.. well fuck you. Bethesda games have never been good (I'm throwing NV in that, fuck that copium) but they have been big enough to mod into a game you wanted to play. As gaming evolved into more open world styles Bethesda's foundation was no longer relevant. Why would I play a janky open world mod base when I could play a Far cry game and get a pretty-okay experience out the box? It's the same style of game with the same experience but none of the jank. Skyrim held on so long because it was baby's first modding experience and you could zone out and play it. And then with each new release the fanbase became slightly less happy with Bethesda when all the mods broke and they had to play the base, ugly skyrim again. This ultimately ended up with Fallout 76, which is just skyrim you can't mod. And then starfield came out and it was the same shit we've had from Bethesda forever but now it's the worst, most boring game ever because.. Well because it's a Bethesda game and they were always boring.

How is elder scrolls online doing for bethesda? It's never talked about or bitched about. I assume it's a functional MMO making bank with all the expansions. Do you need ES6 when you have a full MMO with the same gameplay but every area known to man in it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom