Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Oblivion wasn't that bad. They streamlined things and it sucked to lose features but in the grand scheme of things it was a collective step forward. Skyrim turned the streamlining to 11 and it showed in sales with normies slopping it up, I cede that one. Fallout 4, while being the single worst story Emil has ever put to paper, was arguably incline over Skyrim. They seemed to learn their lesson and toned down the streamlining. I'm not even going to bring up the dumpster fire that is 76 because TES/Fallout Bethesda had nothing to do with it outside of the initial world building. Clearly from what we've seen in Starfield it's further incline from Fallout 4 because the gripes most people had with Fallout 4 don't seem to be present anymore.
Oblivion was bad though, they scaled down what the original vision was going to be, RadiantAI never worked, the story was a total cop out (hence the emperor dying at the very start pretty sure he was meant to have a much bigger role in oblivion), the level scalinging ruined everything and the removal of spells and skills from Morrowind made it an inferior experience over all. Fallout 3 was very much Oblivion with guns, it took Obsidian to see its flaws to have come up with a version that was superior in New Vegas, removing the level scaling, emphasis on non-linear storytelling and just overall returning fallout to a somewhat closer attempt at its roots than Bethesda could do. Skyrim was an Arcade game in comparison to Oblivion, you gutted everything and turned it into an action game, Fallout 4 made it even worse by destroying the dialogue and revolving the entire game about scrap and settlements where Fallout 76 didn't get the memo and made it even worse by taking out the quests and NPCs. Starfield is more in line with Fallout 4 but you've gone back to Skyrim/Fallout 3 like dialogue trees and perk systems. I'm not impressed by that.

Are we really going to applaud them for walking back the stupid decisions they made from Skyrim onwards? come on. Maybe if they walked it all the way back to Morrowind and Daggerfall I'd see your point lol

Last edited:

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
it took Obsidian to see its flaws to have come up with a version that was superior in New Vegas, removing the level scaling, emphasis on non-linear storytelling and just overall returning fallout to a somewhat closer attempt at its roots than Bethesda could do.
I don’t think that’s fair. The vision of what Beth is going for with Fallout is different to the Classics and NV.

People seem to be confused about F3 and F4. Yes it has the Fallout name and setting but that’s it, they bought the IP and built their own game with it.

Also not all players felt that NV was better than 3, I think the majority even liked 3 more, critics certainly did.

The argument that a game is bad because it’s not like another game is retarded, granted in this case they were sharing the same IP so maybe Starfield being its own thing is for the best. I wish another studio would pick up the Fallout IP and return it to its roots tho.

Last edited:

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
I don’t think that’s fair. The vision of what Beth is going for with Fallout is different to the Classics and NV.
You know whats also not fair, how they got the IP in the first place. Fair doesn't matter.
I think its valid, if you make a game in the same genre, with the same name, expect comparisons expect criticism. Why are we acting like Microsoft and Bethesda are underdogs? treat em like hell they don't deserve people to go soft on them.
The argument that a game is bad because it’s not like another game is retarded,
I'll just ignore the Invisible War in the room then shall I lol. I think its been said in the past about other games. Hell look at VtmB1 compared to 2, I'd even say the same thing there. I think its valid.
I think Warhorse did a better version of Oblivion than Bethesda ever could, even despite the fact they only released half of it.
I'll even do the same comparison for System Shock 3 when it eventually comes out too. I think its valid to make those comparisons.

Yes sure games have their own merits. Cyberpunk for all its failure is still a game, you can play it, you can probably have fun with it, but its an embarrassment of a game compared to what it should and could have been. This is my point.
And I think too many games are getting away with the "redemption arc" bullshit where it takes 7-8 years for them to recover from a disastrous launch. I see Starfield going the same route, hope Todd's got that apology letter and roadmap ready.

ropetight

Savant
Oblivion wasn't that bad. They streamlined things and it sucked to lose features but in the grand scheme of things it was a collective step forward. Skyrim turned the streamlining to 11 and it showed in sales with normies slopping it up, I cede that one. Fallout 4, while being the single worst story Emil has ever put to paper, was arguably incline over Skyrim. They seemed to learn their lesson and toned down the streamlining. I'm not even going to bring up the dumpster fire that is 76 because TES/Fallout Bethesda had nothing to do with it outside of the initial world building. Clearly from what we've seen in Starfield it's further incline from Fallout 4 because the gripes most people had with Fallout 4 don't seem to be present anymore.
Oblivion was bad though, they scaled down what the original vision was going to be, RadiantAI never worked, the story was a total cop out (hence the emperor dying at the very start pretty sure he was meant to have a much bigger role in oblivion), the level scalinging ruined everything and the removal of spells and skills from Morrowind made it an inferior experience over all. Fallout 3 was very much Oblivion with guns, it took Obsidian to see its flaws to have come up with a version that was superior in New Vegas, removing the level scaling, emphasis on non-linear storytelling and just overall returning fallout to a somewhat closer attempt at its roots than Bethesda could do. Skyrim was an Arcade game in comparison to Oblivion, you gutted everything and turned it into an action game, Fallout 4 made it even worse by destroying the dialogue and revolving the entire game about scrap and settlements where Fallout 76 didn't get the memo and made it even worse by taking out the quests and NPCs. Starfield is more in line with Fallout 4 but you've gone back to Skyrim/Fallout 3 like dialogue trees and perk systems. I'm not impressed by that.

Are we really going to applaud them for walking back the stupid decisions they made from Skyrim onwards? come on. Maybe if they walked it all the way back to Morrowind and Daggerfall I'd see your point lol
Things can get only worse, especially if Starfield is successful.
Since Bethesda always reuses part of their previous game, Elder Scrolls 6 will be Starfield in fantasy middle ages: medieval Han Solo simulator!

Vic

Savant
You know whats also not fair, how they got the IP in the first place. Fair doesn't matter.
I think its valid, if you make a game in the same genre, with the same name, expect comparisons expect criticism. Why are we acting like Microsoft and Bethesda are underdogs? treat em like hell they don't deserve people to go soft on them.
The argument that a game is bad because it’s not like another game is retarded,
I'll just ignore the Invisible War in the room then shall I lol. I think its been said in the past about other games. Hell look at VtmB1 compared to 2, I'd even say the same thing there. I think its valid.
I think Warhorse did a better version of Oblivion than Bethesda ever could, even despite the fact they only released half of it.
I'll even do the same comparison for System Shock 3 when it eventually comes out too. I think its valid to make those comparisons.

Yes sure games have their own merits. Cyberpunk for all its failure is still a game, you can play it, you can probably have fun with it, but its an embarrassment of a game compared to what it should and could have been. This is my point.
And I think too many games are getting away with the "redemption arc" bullshit where it takes 7-8 years for them to recover from a disastrous launch. I see Starfield going the same route, hope Todd's got that apology letter and roadmap ready.
I just don’t understand your attitude. A game is better than no game? You don’t like it then don’t buy it? Starfield has massive production value, if it looks interesting to you you’ll probably get a good bang for your buck, and if not you can refund.

And Cyberpunk an embarrassment? Sorry but I grew up playing black and white games on a gameboy powered by 4xAA batteries. All of the games you call shit I have spent at least or close to 100 hours on and generally had a good time.

It’s bizarre to me getting a new awesome game and then shitting all over it. Reminds me of the fat spoiled kid from Harry Potter, Douglas or whatever.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
You don’t like it then don’t buy it?
Ah those magic words that I hear all the time, you come up with this one yourself or did you just copy and paste it from Reddit?
This argument is an excuse to deflect criticism and push this idea that games are some kind of opt-in. The fact is the types of games I want to see aren't being made, so no that doesn't cut it.
This constant consolidation and push towards "everyone plays <Game 2023> or you get no game at all" is where the industry is falling apart. Support the status quo at your peril. Corporations are not your friend.
The industry has an internal crisis even Bethesda are effected by it. Doing what you are doing is going to make it worse. If we don't hold studios to account, it'll get worse and more people will leave. People are fed up working on shit games this why! What you are doing is slowly encouraging replacing veterans with worthless diversity hires because they're easy to exploit and they don't give a crap about the games they make. Did you forget that Microsoft fired a whole bunch of developers again? they are slowly eroding each developer, its why Arkane is now shit.
And Cyberpunk an embarrassment? Sorry but I grew up playing black and white games on a gameboy powered by 4xAA batteries. All of the games you call shit I have spent at least or close to 100 hours on and generally had a good time.
And then follows up with the "works for me, I didn't see any bugs" lol, dude stay off reddit.
I came from an era where most games looked like Rogue. But here's the thing, throughout the 90s I learned to make 2D games as a kid, throughout the 2000s up until now I learned to make 3D games.
When you understand the process as well as I do you tend to expect more. By all means I fully expect people to be harsh and criticise my work, its happened in the past, it'll keep happening. Unlike Todd I don't have a PR team!

The "Shit game is better than no game" argument doesn't cut it, I have a back catalogue of games that are better and more fun, I'll just go play them I already paid for them.
But as a game developer, I want to learn from this hence why I'm here. If its gonna be a train wreck I want to know why.

Last edited:

Vic

Savant
I feel like a lot of game devs start hating playing games because what was once a hobby is now a job.

Do you hate playing games squirrel head? Because that’s how you sound like. All a bunch of political ramblings but not actual criticism as to why these games are actually shit. I thought you were a developer, can’t you explain to me how these games are shit exactly from a game developer perspective and not make it political? Because I do like games and good game design. Would really like to hear your valid criticism, if you have any.

Latelistener

Arcane
I just don’t understand your attitude. A game is better than no game? You don’t like it then don’t buy it? Starfield has massive production value, if it looks interesting to you you’ll probably get a good bang for your buck, and if not you can refund.

It’s bizarre to me getting a new awesome game and then shitting all over it. Reminds me of the fat spoiled kid from Harry Potter, Douglas or whatever.
There is some reason in your words, but the other games aren't 1 bit anymore either (unless it's intentional). Compared to what Rockstar did with their open world simulation, Cyberpunk is just a bad joke. Their lifeless open world with question marks got a pass with Witcher 3, but it won't pass when you have a cyberpunk megalopolis.

And it's not a particularly good RPG either. So they're really dropped the ball with this one, especially with its state on release.

Did you forget that Microsoft fired a whole bunch of developers again? they are slowly eroding each developer, its why Arkane is now shit.
The only bad thing Microsoft did is that they didn't cancel Redfall a couple of years ago along with closing Arkane Austin. What happened to Arkane is entirely on Bethesda and their demand of a live service game from them. It's why Raphael left and took some veterans with him.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
I do enjoy playing games just not modern games because the majority of modern games are simplistic (though I am loving the hell out of Workers and Resources atm its my main go to at the moment its a real evolution over the TTDX style of game - I prefer it over City Skylines which I hate).
It is the case of I'm attracted to depth and complexity, and I'm sick of seeing shallow and simplistic mechanics. I've even leveraged criticism on games that are classic that I actually love (deus ex, system shock 2, Jagged Alliance 2, Xcom etc) because I'm trying to figure out what needs to be done to sort of bring everything forward and utilise the fact that we do have better technology today.

As for the rest go read through the posts I've already made in this thread, I've gone through why I think this game is going to be a disaster. I've made plenty of comments in other threads criticising Bethesda games, I've criticised lots of games, its what I do.
If you've got any specifics you want to hear about fine, but if I give you a general overview its this: Bethesda games have become too simplistic, too action based and have lost their core influences from CRPG mechanics, they use list based inventories which suck (and frankly they don't even implement them properly hence the memory leaks Skyrim has STILL), the dialogue system has been getting worse (though I will concede that Starfields is correcting Fallout 4's disastrous system) and Todd seems to just be jumping from fad mechanic to fad mechanic instead of adding depth to the existing mechanics he's actually removing depth from the mechanics over time (see his GDC talk where he admits this is a core part of his design philosophy) and just in general Bethesda games have started to become formulaic and generic, they're repeating the same beats over and over and over and over. Also I generally hate games that over emphasis loot - especially trash loot, which Bethesda are now notorious for doing and Cyberpunk too was guilty of. I think the Openworld is over-rated and its just an excuse to pad out games - especially true when everything has fast travel anyway defeating the entire point of it being open world.

I'm the opposite of most consumers, I don't care about the comfort of the familiar, I want to explore and see new ideas. Bethesda are clinging to the familiar too much.

The only bad thing Microsoft did is that they didn't cancel Redfall a couple of years ago along with closing Arkane Austin. What happened to Arkane is entirely on Bethesda and their demand of a live service game from them. It's why Raphael left and took some veterans with him.
Oh yeah definately, I wasn't blaming Microsoft exclusively, I brought that point up in the Redfall thread too. Zenimax/Bethesda was to blame for that push, but now that Microsoft controls them its going to get even worse because Microsoft are notorious for how they treat their studios.

Vic

Savant
I agree but the action based and too much loot criticism can be applied to Morrowind too, which the codex seems to love so much.

In fact, Morrowind has more random loot than Skyrim iirc.

Latelistener

Arcane
Bethesda are clinging to the familiar too much.
Because the success of Morrowind is almost entirely on Ken Rolston and Michael Kirkbride. Todd Howard just wanted to make sports games when he came to Bethesda.

His only job was approving of what will be in the game and he constantly said stuff like: "Let's not make it too strange".

He's a guy without creativity that became the creative lead of Bethesda and some sort of game industry icon. It's an embarrassment.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Yes, another reminder that Todd Howard has more prestigious taste in computer games than most Codexers.
wUVVU7A.jpg
>guys, I need a retro space game to say I'm modeling this new game after
>whatabout Frontier? Or Elite?
>are you SHITTING ME, Pete?!
>oh, uh, sorry. let me just look up an old space game on wikipedia...

Reinhardt

Arcane
Bethesda are clinging to the familiar too much.
Because the success of Morrowind is almost entirely on Ken Rolston and Michael Kirkbride. Todd Howard just wanted to make sports games when he came to Bethesda.

His only job was approving of what will be in the game and he constantly said stuff like: "Let's not make it too strange".

He's a guy without creativity that became the creative lead of Bethesda and some sort of game industry icon. It's an embarrassment.
morrowind is shit tho

NwNgger

Educated
“game is shit because it’s not the game I want”
This but unironically. Stop making games for a nebulous "wider audience" and go back to making niche games for a particular demographic again. Retards can have their "something awesome" simulator and I can have my immersive space sim. Everyone wins.

Vic

Savant
This but unironically. Stop making games for a nebulous "wider audience" and go back to making niche games for a particular demographic again. Retards can have their "something awesome" simulator and I can have my immersive space sim. Everyone wins.
there's a trade-off between production quality and targeting. If you want for a AAA game to be profitable you have to appeal to a lot of people. That's sadly the reality. On the plus side, lots of great indie games.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
On the plus side, lots of great indie games.
yeah but most of them don't see the attention or success that they really should. It's a pretty unfair industry overall, again its also a symptom of that problem I mentioned that crisis. Marketing money talks louder than talent.
It shouldn't be that way but people are stupid. As a hollywood studio told me once, "you give people too much credit, too much benefit of the doubt, people are stupid" I see that now. (I'm glad they criticised me though and not my game, their criticism of the game was glowing).

HammyTheFat

Scholar
Also I generally hate games that over emphasis loot - especially trash loot, which Bethesda are now notorious for doing and Cyberpunk too was guilty of. I think the Openworld is over-rated and its just an excuse to pad out games - especially true when everything has fast travel anyway defeating the entire point of it being open world.
I've been replaying the Avernum series lately and I really enjoy what the remakes did with trash loot.

Yeah it's there, but there's not that much of it and all you have to do is ctrl click so it goes straight into a limitless junk bag. If you HAVE to include trash loot in your game for whatever reason, this is the way to do it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom