Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
32256.jpg

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
You agree with and be nice to a woman at every opportunity and then you smooch in your underwear an hour before the final battle. That's just how life works.
Final battle in game: saving the world, saving the galaxy, killing a god

Final battle in life: open relationship discussion

Guess which one is more likely to get you killed.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Every time I think about the Starfield story, I think about Constellation and that cast of characters they show you. The explorer, the cowboy guy, the hard science lady, the theologian guy, the ex-pirate, and the finance guy ... and it's like, OK, I know the amazing truth behind the weird artifacts is going to blow them all away. But wouldn't it be great if it turned out one of this diverse group was right all along and not at all surprised? And wouldn't it be great if it was the theology guy? He's like, "I TOLD you the universe was created by Odin!" after you assemble all the artifacts and it turns out to be a giant key that opens the door to Valhalla or whatever.

Just Locus

Educated
Can't wait for all of the "Main" characters you meet to have no personality beyond that one single trait being either their voice or one point in their backstory and nothing else and to look at wooden characters who walk and talk and look like they're being puppeted instead of a physical human being that's speaking to me.

HarveyBirdman

Liturgist
Every time I think about the Starfield story, I think about Constellation and that cast of characters they show you. The explorer, the cowboy guy, the hard science lady, the theologian guy, the ex-pirate, and the finance guy ... and it's like, OK, I know the amazing truth behind the weird artifacts is going to blow them all away. But wouldn't it be great if it turned out one of this diverse group was right all along and not at all surprised? And wouldn't it be great if it was the theology guy? He's like, "I TOLD you the universe was created by Odin!" after you assemble all the artifacts and it turns out to be a giant key that opens the door to Valhalla or whatever.
Best case scenario -- it's a Hyperion-style main cast where everybody is arguably correct and it's left unresolved at the end, but tantalizing near-conclusion and new doors opened. Game reacts to which viewpoint you take on.

Likely scenario -- the game affirms whatever choice you make.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Best case scenario -- it's a Hyperion-style main cast where everybody is arguably correct and it's left unresolved at the end, but tantalizing near-conclusion and new doors opened. Game reacts to which viewpoint you take on.

Likely scenario -- the game affirms whatever choice you make.
I imagine it's going to be a "pick your ideology" buffet a la Disco Elysium but with factions instead of just your internal dialogue. Or like ToW but with actual choice, not the game constantly pushing you to fight the man.

laclongquan

Arcane
I'd rather have four companions that are actually worth using, than 10+ that are fucking shit
This. If their questlines are actually good and flesh them out this should be plenty. I still remember Nick Valentine's and that redhead crackwhore's questlines in FO4 which were nice.
Or Fallout3's assemble of companions versus FNV.

Though to be fair FNV has a bigger cast. But, I actually use only Cass, Veronica, EDE, and Arcade (shortly) for anything longer than 2 quest time. So 4. The rest I treated them as temporary companions for their questline.

Meanwhile Fallout 3 has nearly ten, but frankly I dont use any more than an hour. Only Sarah worth anything longer, but she's limitedly available ~

HarveyBirdman

Liturgist
I'd rather have four companions that are actually worth using, than 10+ that are fucking shit
This. If their questlines are actually good and flesh them out this should be plenty. I still remember Nick Valentine's and that redhead crackwhore's questlines in FO4 which were nice.
Or Fallout3's assemble of companions versus FNV.

Though to be fair FNV has a bigger cast. But, I actually use only Cass, Veronica, EDE, and Arcade (shortly) for anything longer than 2 quest time. So 4. The rest I treated them as temporary companions for their questline.

Meanwhile Fallout 3 has nearly ten, but frankly I dont use any more than an hour. Only Sarah worth anything longer, but she's limitedly available ~
FNV companions suck.
- Cass cucks you.
- Veronica is a dyke
- Boone is limited to NCRfags
- Arcade is an actual fag
- Raul is corny and boring
- lilly is okay i guess, conceptually, but i never use her
- EDE and the dog are cool

Every base game FO4 companion except dogmeat makes me want to shoot myself. Written by Tumblr AI.

If the companions are gonna blow, I much prefer the barebones type of FO3 or Skyrim companion. Give me a few lines of characterization and let's go adventure. Don't need your shit writing to get in the way of my game.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I don't mind Veronica and Arcade being homosexuals because it's not a big part of who they are or their quests. It's not like Otter Worlds where one of the companion quests is setting the bitch up on a date with someone else. Now THAT is getting cucked. The real problem with Raul is that you have to get through a bunch of super mutants at Black Mountain to recruit him. Lily is similarly inconvenient being in Jacobstown. The other companions can all be recruited relatively early in the game.

HarveyBirdman

Liturgist
I don't mind Veronica and Arcade being homosexuals because it's not a big part of who they are or their quests. It's not like Otter Worlds where one of the companion quests is setting the bitch up on a date with someone else. Now THAT is getting cucked. The real problem with Raul is that you have to get through a bunch of super mutants at Black Mountain to recruit him. Lily is similarly inconvenient being in Jacobstown. The other companions can all be recruited relatively early in the game.
Having two gays out of 5 human companions is absurd. And Arcade effuses faggotry with every breath he takes.

I don't mind having to recruit Raul and Lilly in Black Mountain. I do mind that Raul's story has been told 1,000 times already, and his being a ghoul added nothing to it. Just boring.

laclongquan

Arcane
It's a testatement to FNV writings that Cass and Arcade still be that good despite being homo. If you dont agree to this a california girl with star in her eyes will punch you in the 'nard with her pneumatic gauntlet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom